HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Internet providers

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2009, 12:06 AM
Ryulink

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
I work for Distributel...so I'll plug it I guess. You get unlimited download for 36.95$/month. Again depending on how far you are from the CO, you could get up to 7 or even 8megs (unfortunately I'M 5.5kms away and get 3megs ). I don't know how good the montreal office is for tech/customer support, but in Ottawa everyone does their best to satisfy.
Do you know how can we find out if we are close or far from the CO? Also is it possible to negociate the price down with the customer service?

Old
02-22-2009, 10:33 AM
mabus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3hirty6ix View Post
Bell doesn't offer unlimited. And for the love of all that is mighty, don't go with Bell.
I did some checking, the maximum plan on bell is 100 Gig for 30 bucks, which is still a ton better than videotron. As for the quality of service. I can tell you that I'm very pleased with the service, speed and reliability offered at Sympatico.

Last edited by mabus: 02-22-2009 at 10:40 AM.
Old
02-22-2009, 01:51 PM
Rickkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabus View Post
Sympatico.
Worst isp ever. Indeed, Bell in general is one of Canada's worst corporate citizens. With bell, it's all about greed.

Old
02-22-2009, 02:56 PM
Travis Moen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Komisarek View Post
Are you serious?
The cap will be 30gigs (upload and download combined) starting 1st March only for new contracts. Also the penalty limit if you use too much bandwidth will automatically pass from $30 to $50 for existing contracts.

So basically if you are an existing customer, you will not be able to benefit from the new cap system AND you will potentially pay more more if you reach your limit. Way to **** loyal customers...

At least those money suckers will introduce an interesting concept where you can buy blocks of bandwiths. I think you can buy a block of 30Gigs (up/dwl combined) for something like $12.

Old
02-22-2009, 04:51 PM
Originalsix

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarter450 View Post
http://teksavvy.com/en/index.asp

Great internet. Unlimited upload/download. DSL. Cheap. Great reviews. Good customer service.
Seconded!

They are awesome. Unlimited bandwidth, and if you live closer to their C.O., you'll get very good speeds, ~6MB. I live in the WI, and I get 5MB. They also support net neutrality, are outspoken about it, go to protests and rallies, and don't throtle. In fact they show you how to get around the throtling that Bell does.

Only downside is that it's DSL. Cable with Videotron is sooooooooooo much more stable it's not funny. Videotron though pissed me off with changing my contract and capping me, those ********.

Old
02-22-2009, 05:48 PM
Sam I Am

Primus Triple Value Bundle.

Unlimited DSL
Home Phone and Calling Features
Unlimited Log Distance (US/Can)

$65 +/mo.

Old
02-22-2009, 05:54 PM
Kafka

Quote:
My videotron high speed internet contract expires soon and I'm looking for alternatives for the future. Videotron was very good, great speed, great service, but nearly not enough bandwidth (20 gigs). I'm looking for something similar, but with a little more bandwidth.

Any advice?
Videotron, Bell are usualy crap

My advice, check for those two:
- Cooptel (you get 2 months free... in the end, same price if not less than the big companies, but with services)
- Radioactif.com (I think it is good for people looking for bandwith)

Old
02-22-2009, 06:45 PM
Fire Brunet*

Wow, thanks a lot people. I really appreciate it!
I'm also looking for providers that don't throttle p2p downloading, so if you can tell me wether your providers do or not, it would be great !

Old
02-22-2009, 06:58 PM
1UP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalsix View Post
Seconded!

They are awesome. Unlimited bandwidth, and if you live closer to their C.O., you'll get very good speeds, ~6MB. I live in the WI, and I get 5MB. They also support net neutrality, are outspoken about it, go to protests and rallies, and don't throtle. In fact they show you how to get around the throtling that Bell does.

Only downside is that it's DSL. Cable with Videotron is sooooooooooo much more stable it's not funny. Videotron though pissed me off with changing my contract and capping me, those ********.
I was working at Videotron when they decided to cap the unlimited service. And, frankly, they had no choice. But poor phone guy like me got a serious beating for the few months following.

Note, Videotron isn't bumping High speed to 30Gig, they are just adding the 10 gig upload limit to the 20 gig download limit, and will use the combined upload/download for calculations of bandwidth.

It's a great thing though.

Old
02-22-2009, 08:54 PM
Harpo
Lyle forever

Quote:
Wow, thanks a lot people. I really appreciate it!
I'm also looking for providers that don't throttle p2p downloading, so if you can tell me wether your providers do or not, it would be great !
As far as I know, since all DSL are Bell sub-contractors, they're all throttled, but with Teksavvy and Acanac you can bypass the throttling by using specific firmware with a specific router. That's what I do.

Old
02-23-2009, 07:56 AM
Rickkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1UP View Post
I was working at Videotron when they decided to cap the unlimited service. And, frankly, they had no choice.
Hahahahahaha.....
Poppycock, of course. It was, and remains, a money grab, pure and simple...regardless of the pablum they expect the rubes to swallow...

Old
02-23-2009, 08:33 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryulink View Post
Do you know how can we find out if we are close or far from the CO? Also is it possible to negociate the price down with the customer service?
There's no real way to tell how far you are from the CO unless you have a meter that can test the loop going back to the CO... Really the CO could be 1 km from your house but the loop going to your house could be 3.5km-4km.

Also, no you couldn't negotiate the price.

There is however a bundle with home phone + high speed that runs at 39.95 for the first 3 months and 56.90$ every month after (1 year contract).

Old
02-23-2009, 08:34 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpo View Post
As far as I know, since all DSL are Bell sub-contractors, they're all throttled, but with Teksavvy and Acanac you can bypass the throttling by using specific firmware with a specific router. That's what I do.
I have DSL and I port forward, I get 300kb/sec download and I'm on a 3meg connection. I'd say that's pretty good.

Old
02-23-2009, 08:50 AM
la25ecoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Price4Prez View Post
Hey I work for Bell. Dont believe all the crap you hear about Bell. The service is not that bad. Ans 7mb/sec give syou 60 gigs, for 45 a month
Well, i don't work for Bell and i'm a customer of Bell and i say your service is crap.

60gb for 45$/month is expensive. And you guys always charge more in the bills, so we have to call to rectify the amounts..

I've called 6 times in a period of 8 months to fix bills problems.. I can't wait to switch companies.

Oh, and don't forget the throttling

Old
04-11-2009, 03:41 PM
Berkut

Send a message via MSN to Berkut
I tried to cancel my bell account, but as usual they offered me a deal.
I was paying about $55 for 60GB
What they offered is:
3 months free
$45/month for a year (no contract)

Not sure if they'll going to actually do it. But the second they's a single cent overcharge on my bills, I'm canceling for good.

Old
04-11-2009, 03:51 PM
Russian Warrior
SWAG

Quote:
Hey I work for Bell. Dont believe all the crap you hear about Bell. The service is not that bad. Ans 7mb/sec give syou 60 gigs, for 45 a month
Bell is trash

Old
04-11-2009, 05:53 PM
Price4Prez

Cry me a river, people.

For every customer that complains, there are 10 that are happy.

That's life when you offer a product, as wanted and needed as internet. Its like cars, there is so much variety, that some consumers like Ford, some like Nissan.And some take the bus and complain about all of them.

To get back to the point:

a) All DSL sub-contractors throttle
b) All DSL sub-contractors reduce speeds then what is advertised

c) Videotron does not have enough bandwith with their packages

So in reality, do you really see any logical choice aside from Bell. Look I might work for Bell. But I was a consumer long before an employee, and I was always provided great service.

Old
04-11-2009, 06:08 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Cry me a river, people.

That's life when you offer a product, as wanted and needed as internet. Its like cars, there is so much variety, that some consumers like Ford, some like Nissan.And some take the bus and complain about all of them.

So in reality, do you really see any logical choice aside from Bell. Look I might work for Bell. But I was a consumer long before an employee, and I was always provided great service.
Who are you kidding? I will not pay for something, that is limited. Why in the world would anyone do that if they plan on using p2p? I have 1 mb/s now with videotron, any time of the day, I come home from school/work, go to my fav p2p, download the tv show i missed in 15 mins, just enough time to shower. With Bell it would be throttled at 60 kb/s, **** that, paying for 5 mbit/s and they give me less then one on my primary usage, p2p.
I could do ftp, but not in the mood to find connections anymore, dont have the time.

DONT GO WITH BELL IF YOU P2P

Old
04-11-2009, 08:05 PM
LeHab

Quote:
Cry me a river, people.

How is Bell a logical choice? If you want reliability, neutrality and speed, videotron is the choice. If you want bandwidth and cheap prices you go with a 3rd party DSL reseller. What is Bell offering that is positively setting them apart from the competition?

Closed Thread