HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Skating speed

Old
02-21-2009, 12:16 AM
TaylorHall
First overall

vCash: 500
Skating speed

I don't know if this is a stupid question or not but.........

If you run fast, does that mean you can skate fast as well? Just something I've always wanted to know and I'm a beginner skater.

TaylorHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 12:30 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconOilers View Post

If you run fast, does that mean you can skate fast as well? Just something I've always wanted to know and I'm a beginner skater.
No, not at all. Speed is probably 60% technique and 40% muscle, maybe even 70-30. To get better speed, work on your technique over and over.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 12:30 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

No. And if you skate fast, it doesn't mean you run fast.

Skating is a very different motion then running. You're pushing off to the side rather then forward and backward motion.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 12:40 AM
Tinkeric

Quote:

If you can run fast, that certainly means that you have the potential to be a fast skater too. Having good foot speed especially helps for quick starts.

Skating is a different animal than running though. Nonetheless, it's definitely an advantage to have good leg muscles from running as well as coordination and fast "twitch" nerves.

Speed never slumps!

Tinkeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 05:14 AM
Ragss

Yeah there is a lot more technique in skating fast than there is in running fast. I'm not fast by any means on foot, but on the ice I can keep up with almost anyone on the ice.

Ragss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 09:25 AM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:

Well, most of the guys posting on this thread are correct. However, the one thing they forgot to mention in muscle memory.

The faster you bring that stride skate back to start the next stride, the faster you will go. You can have great power and thrust behind each stride. But if you don't bring the stride skate back to square one and blast out on the next stride, you might as well be walking!

Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 11:57 PM
backhander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkeric View Post
If you can run fast, that certainly means that you have the potential to be a fast skater too. Having good foot speed especially helps for quick starts.

Skating is a different animal than running though. Nonetheless, it's definitely an advantage to have good leg muscles from running as well as coordination and fast "twitch" nerves.

Speed never slumps!
good call...obviously you have to be a good skater..but most people that are fast on land can translate to ice

backhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 09:22 PM
TaylorHall
First overall

Good info, thanks for sharing!

TaylorHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 09:28 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post
Well, most of the guys posting on this thread are correct. However, the one thing they forgot to mention in muscle memory.

The faster you bring that stride skate back to start the next stride, the faster you will go. You can have great power and thrust behind each stride. But if you don't bring the stride skate back to square one and blast out on the next stride, you might as well be walking!

Head coach
Coach is indeed a wise man. I've built up a lot of speed by shortening my forward stride as much as I can. Instead of heel to toe, I go half way heel to right before the toe snap, which I'm almost omitting entirely. Finding the technique that makes you fastest is purely trial and error. Then practice it. Here are a few tips that will help a lot; don't pick your feet up very much at all and don't let your legs get very wide apart. You'll know what I'm talking about when you feel it.

Old
02-22-2009, 09:28 PM
noobman

Quote:

Not at all! Do you think Donovan Bailey could outskate Marian Gaborik?

Skating and running are two very different things. Being a fast sprinter indicates that you have a pretty good VO^2 max, which will help you in hockey, but it won't automatically make you a good skater. You will have *some* advantages in learning though. A fast sprinter knows how to maximize his running movements by lifting his feet as little as possible off the ground, maximize his forward speed by using long, full strides, and lastly has the confidence to move at a fast speed while keeping his nerves in check.

If you want to become a fast skater you need to focus on your technique first and foremost. The second major component is having strong legs that can add power to flawless strides.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 10:04 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
Not at all! Do you think Donovan Bailey could outskate Marian Gaborik?

Skating and running are two very different things. Being a fast sprinter indicates that you have a pretty good VO^2 max, which will help you in hockey, but it won't automatically make you a good skater. You will have *some* advantages in learning though. A fast sprinter knows how to maximize his running movements by lifting his feet as little as possible off the ground, maximize his forward speed by using long, full strides, and lastly has the confidence to move at a fast speed while keeping his nerves in check.

If you want to become a fast skater you need to focus on your technique first and foremost. The second major component is having strong legs that can add power to flawless strides.
Sorry, but being a fast sprinter has little to do with VO2, never mind equating to a pretty good VO2 max.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 12:24 AM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan View Post
Sorry, but being a fast sprinter has little to do with VO2, never mind equating to a pretty good VO2 max.
How about under the assumption that a sprinter with a higher VO2 max can sustain a faster speed over a longer distance than a sprinter with a lower VO2 max?

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 09:34 AM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
How about under the assumption that a sprinter with a higher VO2 max can sustain a faster speed over a longer distance than a sprinter with a lower VO2 max?
This is true...but not for sprinting speeds.

Sprinting endurance is not really aerobic.

Last edited by Crosbyfan: 02-23-2009 at 10:57 AM.
Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 11:16 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Answer: bend your knees so deeply that you naturally begin to lean forward. This results in top end speed but takes a LOT of leg strength. Just hit the gym and keep skating.

Old
02-24-2009, 02:05 AM
SERE 24
LGR

I'm not a "fast" runner, but I'm certainly not slow. I play hockey in college and am probably my team's fastest skater. I play football and lacrosse with buddies from school and I may not be the fastest guy but I'm still up there, you know? I think it's a little bit athleticism. Being a fast runner doesn't guarantee anything, but if you're fast and athletic naturally and you learn to skate well there's no reason you shouldn't be a fast skater.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote