HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Cluttered Bottom Six

Old
02-22-2009, 10:37 PM
zx81

vCash: 500
That's what a one win streak does in Montreal !
We're now too strong for Lats.

What a joke.

zx81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 10:40 PM
dcyhabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
I would agree and a forth of Kosto/Chip/BGL or Stewart.

Is it me or is Lats slowly losing his place on this team?
Maybe they need him. Look at the record since he got injured.

dcyhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 10:42 PM
zx81

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcyhabs View Post
Maybe they need him. Look at the record since he got injured.
Don't even try...we're too hot right now.
Not sure Ovechkin could crack our top 6.

Hey we just won a game against Ottawa.
We're almost too strong for the league.

Gotta love the impact of a win here

zx81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 11:22 PM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by missthenet View Post
I remember a few years back Shayne Corson was soon to be a UFA and was playing for the Habs. He asked not to be traded as he wanted to finish his career in Montreal. Make a long story short we kept him and he ended up signing in Toronto. As great as Kovy is we've got to manage our assets and take advantage of our opportunities. We already lost through waivers Hainsey and Beauchamin and we also lost Souray and Streit for nothing as well. We stiil need a top flight center and if this helps us get one by making a deal for Kovy for the future I think this would be the right thing to do.
That's the biggest misconception. When a player walks and doesn't re-sign with a team it free's up cap space to sign a replacement. The Habs replaced Souray with Hamrlik by using the free'd up cap space. In essence it's like a trade. With the CBA you'll see more and more players walk without re-signing. It's kinda like a trade, but you get to evaluate your team minus the player who walked and decide who to go for later. Habs also let Ryder walk. They grabbed Tanguay (Ryder for Tanguay basically).

LesHabsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 12:46 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx81 View Post
That's what a one win streak does in Montreal !
We're now too strong for Lats.

What a joke.
there's always room for lats in this lineup. He doesn't have the stats on his side, but this has been latendresse's best season because he has established an identity for himself.

Also, nobody else seems to get as much out of lapierre than latendresse and vise versa. When those two are playing together, they add an extra dimension to the team... a dimension that is currently missing.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 12:57 AM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
don't worry son, Kovalev will be gone by march 4

and maybe begin, and I hope Dandenault too

but if the youngs like stewart and Chipchura keep up the good work, we will see the real garbage go away
I'm really eager to wake up on march 5th and laugh at your nonsense kovy bashing.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 01:18 AM
Lucius

When healthy (save Lang), I predict:

Kostitsyn Sr - Plekanec - Kovalev
D'Agostini - Koivu - Tanguay
Kostitsyn Jr - Higgins - Pacioretty
Latendresse - Lapierre - Kostopolous

Begin Laraque Chipchura

Not quite exact, but you get the point. Sergei will be back, I am sure of it. Begin seems like he's done. Chips seems like he needs more pepper and Laraque will sub in for Kostitsyn or one of the kids when necessary.

The big thing is that I think we should move Higgins to centre while Lang is out, unless we get someone new.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 02:51 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
When healthy (save Lang), I predict:

Kostitsyn Sr - Plekanec - Kovalev
D'Agostini - Koivu - Tanguay
Kostitsyn Jr - Higgins - Pacioretty
Latendresse - Lapierre - Kostopolous

Begin Laraque Chipchura

Not quite exact, but you get the point. Sergei will be back, I am sure of it. Begin seems like he's done. Chips seems like he needs more pepper and Laraque will sub in for Kostitsyn or one of the kids when necessary.

The big thing is that I think we should move Higgins to centre while Lang is out, unless we get someone new.
I agree that Chips is not ready for full-time 4th line duty. So, for me the question is: do we return to the "three offensive lines" plan of earlier this season, with 6 "skilled wingers", dropping Latendresse to the fourth line, or do we add a bit of sandpaper to the mix, without sacrificing too much offence?

For now, I opt for grit. We need some guys who will bang up front to win the puck, and who will skate North-South. The obvious "skill" guy to leave out is the one currently in Hamilton trying to get his head back together. I say we leave him there until he dominates again like he did early last year AND ALSO demonstrates some improvement on the attitude/professionalism front. Let's not count on that until it happens. For now, Pacioretty is doing what SKost did for the offence last year, picking up nice assists with his fine vision, but he adds more speed and more banging ability.

With regard to the wingers, I would like to have both Kovalev and Andrei K on the RW where they can be creative and I would keep both Patches and Latendresse on the LW to make it easier for them in their own zone.

Taking Chips out means having to put either Begin or Higgins into the centre spot. Do we prefer Higgins centering the third line, with Lapierre on a fourth line with either Latendresse on his left? Or has Maxime not proven he can handle third line duty, which would mean that Begin can center the fourth line?

Option 1 gives us the chance to put our top three offensive veterans on different lines and give the opposition fits in matching up, something like:

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Kovalev
Higgins - Koivu - A. Kostitsyn
Tanguay - Lapierre - d'Agostini
Latendresse - Begin - Kostopolous

Here, the fourth line would get limited minutes at even strength. On the PP, Latendresse could replace Pacioretty, and Tanguay replace Higgins. The 6 PK spots would be taken up by 5 regulars - Pleks, Higgins, Lapierre, Begin, Kostopoulos - and just a smidgen of Kovalev, Koivu or Tanguay. Save the three vets mainly for the offence since we won't be rolling four lines equally.

Option 2 puts Lapierre on the fourth line and gives us the chance to play the lines more equally. However, this only works if we can upgrade Begin to a guy more capable of playing regular minutes, which basically means the option is available only if S. Kostitsyn comes back in top-9 form. We could have something like :

S.Kostitsyn - Koivu - A. Kostitsyn
Tanguay - Higgins- d'Agostini
Latendresse- Lapierre- Kostopolous

That fourth line was actually a pretty effective third line when Koivu, Tanguay and Higgins were all out at the same time, so I have no fear of using them for 12-13 minutes per game.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 03:46 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant1r View Post
Do you think Montreal really wants to get rid of one of the most talented players in the NHL who really cares about his team and is adamant about playing there? Especially now since he's finally played a great game of hockey.

Montreal are buyers, not sellers.
one of the (...) average more than 65 pts a season...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
I agree that Chips is not ready for full-time 4th line duty. So, for me the question is: do we return to the "three offensive lines" plan of earlier this season, with 6 "skilled wingers", dropping Latendresse to the fourth line, or do we add a bit of sandpaper to the mix, without sacrificing too much offence?

For now, I opt for grit. We need some guys who will bang up front to win the puck, and who will skate North-South. The obvious "skill" guy to leave out is the one currently in Hamilton trying to get his head back together. I say we leave him there until he dominates again like he did early last year AND ALSO demonstrates some improvement on the attitude/professionalism front. Let's not count on that until it happens. For now, Pacioretty is doing what SKost did for the offence last year, picking up nice assists with his fine vision, but he adds more speed and more banging ability.

With regard to the wingers, I would like to have both Kovalev and Andrei K on the RW where they can be creative and I would keep both Patches and Latendresse on the LW to make it easier for them in their own zone.

Taking Chips out means having to put either Begin or Higgins into the centre spot. Do we prefer Higgins centering the third line, with Lapierre on a fourth line with either Latendresse on his left? Or has Maxime not proven he can handle third line duty, which would mean that Begin can center the fourth line?

Option 1 gives us the chance to put our top three offensive veterans on different lines and give the opposition fits in matching up, something like:

Higgins - Koivu - A. Kostitsyn
Tanguay - Lapierre - d'Agostini
Latendresse - Begin - Kostopolous

Here, the fourth line would get limited minutes at even strength. On the PP, Latendresse could replace Pacioretty, and Tanguay replace Higgins. The 6 PK spots would be taken up by 5 regulars - Pleks, Higgins, Lapierre, Begin, Kostopoulos - and just a smidgen of Kovalev, Koivu or Tanguay. Save the three vets mainly for the offence since we won't be rolling four lines equally.

Option 2 puts Lapierre on the fourth line and gives us the chance to play the lines more equally. However, this only works if we can upgrade Begin to a guy more capable of playing regular minutes, which basically means the option is available only if S. Kostitsyn comes back in top-9 form. We could have something like :

S.Kostitsyn - Koivu - A. Kostitsyn
Tanguay - Higgins- d'Agostini
Latendresse- Lapierre- Kostopolous

That fourth line was actually a pretty effective third line when Koivu, Tanguay and Higgins were all out at the same time, so I have no fear of using them for 12-13 minutes per game.
that would require him to be called up AND work his way up in the line-up...

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 02-24-2009 at 12:06 PM.
ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 05:51 AM
la25ecoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
one of the (...) average more than 65 pts a season...
Don't you see that we don't have a crosby and malkin who eats up all the points? We have 184 goals and spead out to alot of players. The top scorer has only 22 goals out of those 184..

We are a different team, where eat players bring in more or less of the same.

Lang Kovy Plek AK Koivu Tanguay Markov are contributing around the same amount.. (when they're not in their slump)

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 06:00 AM
la25ecoupe

Do you think Carbo will wake up and separate AK from Kovy?

Old
02-23-2009, 07:26 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Tanguay-Koivu-A. Kostitsyn
Pacioretty-Plekanec-Kovalev
Higgins-Lapierre-Latendresse
Kostopolous-Chipchura-D'Agostini

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 08:39 AM
missthenet

We had to give a couple of draft choices if I'm not mistaken to get Tanguay, so we basically lost Ryder for nothing as well. I forgot about him, that just gives more credence to either trading or resigning Kovalev, since we probably won't be resigning him maybe we could get a couple of good assets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesHabsRock View Post
That's the biggest misconception. When a player walks and doesn't re-sign with a team it free's up cap space to sign a replacement. The Habs replaced Souray with Hamrlik by using the free'd up cap space. In essence it's like a trade. With the CBA you'll see more and more players walk without re-signing. It's kinda like a trade, but you get to evaluate your team minus the player who walked and decide who to go for later. Habs also let Ryder walk. They grabbed Tanguay (Ryder for Tanguay basically).

missthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 08:50 AM
albertabound

Chipchura will do well on the 4th line if left there with players like dandy and stewart with a guy like BGL its just takes away. Sat you could hear chippy calling out stewy for the pass and then to dandy for that very important goal at the end of the second that i think took the wind out of Ottawa sails. His play Sat was totally diferent then previous games with BGL.

albertabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 09:14 AM
BeerHell

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant1r View Post
Latendresse and Lapierre were on a hot streak, so what? They still both go through 12 game point droughts, except Lapierre is a lot more of a better hockey player without producing than Latendresse is.

What I was trying to say is that guys like Begin and Stewart are suited better than Latendresse to play on the bottom six because that's their role. Latendresse's expectation by scouts is a power forward.

With all of Montreal's forwards who can do better than Latendresse as far as speed, offensive skills goes, and those who know their role as a bottom six player and get paid accordingly (not talking about this year but the next), I think Latendresse will be better off playing on another team where he can get the minutes to prove that he can be a power forward. Also, I think that he can be easily replaced with an AHL level player for 800k-1mill less!
yet Kovalev went through a 19 games drought and before saturday..he hadn't scored since? but you accept this..although Kovy is our best player??

BeerHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 09:18 AM
Markovskaya

Quote:

but if the youngs like stewart and Chipchura keep up the good work, we will see the real garbage go away

no???

Nothing is going to happen. Mark my words.

Markovskaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 09:45 AM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by missthenet View Post
We had to give a couple of draft choices if I'm not mistaken to get Tanguay, so we basically lost Ryder for nothing as well. I forgot about him, that just gives more credence to either trading or resigning Kovalev, since we probably won't be resigning him maybe we could get a couple of good assets.
The Habs gave up their 25th pick for Tanguay. So, basically, Ryder and a pick for Tanguay is fair value as Tanguay is a much better player than Ryder regardless of how Ryder is doing in Boston this year.

LesHabsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 09:48 AM
la25ecoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesHabsRock View Post
The Habs gave up their 25th pick for Tanguay. So, basically, Ryder and a pick for Tanguay is fair value as Tanguay is a much better player than Ryder regardless of how Ryder is doing in Boston this year.
And Tanguay only played 36 games..

Old
02-23-2009, 09:52 AM
otto bond

After watching, reading and looking at facts(numbers and situation of every players), this is my conclusion:

First off, our captain Koivu is here to stay. His ideal roll would be second teared offense with some gritty. Could match other teams 's top line at any given time.
His line mate should be Higgins ,Tanguay two guys who have been around the league.
Problems is Higgins has not been injury free for the season. Lack of finish and inconsistent. He should be bring more of and edge in the corners and back off the other d with his speed. Potential,great two way guy.
Tanguay, injured also, but he could bring a good vision and decent finish. Not a gritty guy but still decent in his positioning. Problem is that he has not quite fitted in yet.
Plekanec, well I would be puzzle to be his coach. To good to be a defensive center, not strong enough to be a top center. Perfect role, second line center. His line connected last year and I'm sure it can be so again. A.Kostitsyn will produce no matter who he plays with. Kovy him is looking to fit in again. The main problem is that we need a #1 line and this can't be it game in and game out so that means this is the 2nd ,second line
Lapierre, well still young and not quite tune up for the 3rd line, but his close enough. With latendress and Kostopoulus, we have a line the is gritty, Tuff can still burn you with offense. Problem, not a shut down line yet. Putting Patches here would also make this line very inexperience.
Chipper him, has had a hard time to fit in. Let's just say that Lappy has past him with his development. Can play with any of Laraque, Stewie, Dandy,Begin. Problem here is how to you keep everyone happy.

Our defense could be tweak here and there but is decent. It's a nice mixe players and the main guy being Markov.
Halak or Price, well now I have to say run with Halak but keep Price alive meaning give him a chance to regain his confidence and if he does, great, if not Halak is capable.

That leaves us with 2 young guy in Patches and D'Aggo. Unless their is a trade, They must go down. Not worthy of such action some will say, but let's face it, unless there is a trade, these two will be sent down.
My point is that we have no true 1 line and the rest is jam pack.
Lang was great but him two is nothing more then a 2nd line center. Also, will he be back and if so, can he play the wing or that is just out of question?

Solution, well we all have our theory some good and some bad, but one that is on 99% of fan mind is a top center. the good news is that Bob has all the tools to bring one of them here.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 05:11 PM
koivu

3rd line:
Lapierre-Kostopoulos-Begin

4th line:
Chipchura-Dandenault-Stewart

- D'Agostini and Pacioretty are both defensive liabilities.
They need to go back to Hamilton now that Tanguay is back to shore up their Defense.

- Begin plays well with Lapierre-has intensity and is all heart.

- Chipchura is very underrated passer, hope he sticks this time.

- Stewart should never go back to Hamilton - he is awesome.

koivu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 05:39 PM
JAVO16

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Tanguay-Koivu-A. Kostitsyn
Pacioretty-Plekanec-Kovalev
Higgins-Lapierre-Latendresse
Kostopolous-Chipchura-D'Agostini
I wouldn't keep Dagger on the 4th line. He's not good enough defensively and having to youngsters like Chips and Dagger would create a problem. Personally, I'd go with Bégin or Dandenault.

JAVO16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 06:52 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by koivu View Post
- Stewart should never go back to Hamilton - he is awesome.
I like Stewart too, but as long as Kostopolous and Begin are on the roster, he's surplus.

Next season, let one of them go and bring him in, definitely. This year, unless BG is willing to waive one, I see no reason to have Stewart taking up a roster spot.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 07:04 PM
Captain Saku

Quote:

please define good work 'cause Chipchura is surely not doing a good work...

In the playoffs I'd take Dandenault every day of the week over Chipchura... heck I'd even take Begin over him!

People saying that Latendresse has lost his sport are funny...

Latendresse and Lapierre were a huge part of the 11 wins in 13 games in december.

Anyway, I think D'ago and Stewart will be sent down... and I'd rather have guys with experience in the lineup so I'd scratch Chipchura and play Begin instead of him, so that would make the bottom six looks like this:

Latendresse - Lapierre - Kostopoulos
Pacioretty - Begin - Dandenault

Scratch: Laraque, Chipchura

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 02-24-2009 at 12:08 PM.
Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 08:35 AM
otto bond

Tanguay has comfirm that he is not ready yet. For those who think Patches and D'Aggo are here to stay, I'm sorry but they will not stay unless there is a trade.
Has for Chipper, there is a better chance he stays cause we are very, I mean very tine at center. Ever since Lang went down, we are where in the begining of the season before we got Lang, that's weak.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 08:49 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Patches/Lapierre/Lats
Kosto/Begin/Laraque-Dandenault-Stewart
Chipper, Dags going down (I like Dags, but I would prefer not having him on the 4th line). Unless somebody leaves. Stewart should have to go to HAM, but Carbo seems to like him, so... I dunno.

I hope Begin remains a Hab and a regular player, at least for this year (or until Lang comes back...). He just brings more than Chipchura at this point. Thing is, they might keep Chipper because he's a C. But I would really prefer Begin in his place (at this point).

There's no way Lats doesn't come back with Lapierre, and I think Patches has won Kosto's spot. (which basically sends Kosto on the 4th).
Exactly how it should be

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote