HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

(#61): 2/22/2009 Toronto Maple Leafs @ New York Rangers 8:00pm MSG (HD)

Old
02-23-2009, 07:09 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

vCash: 500
First off, the organization planned the Howell/Bathgate celebration on Oscar Sunday? A night game instead of a day game, just a bad idea, no wonder there were so many empty seats, not that the weather helped much.

That being said, great to see those legends and hear the great speeches that were given.

3-2 loss in OT to the Leafs, kinda karma coming back to the blueshirts after all these years and treating Bathgate the way they did for so long.

40 something shots, we have no finishers.

Not that the refs are the cause of our scoring woes but that penalty on Betts in OT was such a weak call for OT.

But still, we got a point, remember that in April.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 08:17 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue9441 View Post
no, no, if drury doesnt make that mistake by trying to intercept that pass by being a little too aggressive, then that goal does not get scored
At least it shows that SOMEONE cares about trying to win the game in OT. Drury's had success with stealing the puck and breaking in. He just blew the intercept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
The horses are not there to achieve meaningful success. Put more bluntly, there was more overall talent - and a much, much better "mix" - to work with the last couple of seasons.
I don't think that's an excuse for a team that appears to be disorganized and unprepared though. They may only have a little room for improvement, but that little bit is the tipping point for games like this one.

When you're falling out of the players, in desperate need of 2 points, playing at team that you aren't giving up points to if you lose, you don't have a defensive forward logging heavy minutes in OT. You've GOT to go for the jugular, ride the emotion of a GTG with 39 seconds to go, instruct Drury to look for that steal and have his linemates prepared to cover when they see him go in case he does blow it. "Playing not to lose" made ZERO sense last night. ZERO.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 08:23 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
At least it shows that SOMEONE cares about trying to win the game in OT. Drury's had success with stealing the puck and breaking in. He just blew the intercept.

I don't think that's an excuse for a team that appears to be disorganized and unprepared though. They may only have a little room for improvement, but that little bit is the tipping point for games like this one.

When you're falling out of the players, in desperate need of 2 points, playing at team that you aren't giving up points to if you lose, you don't have a defensive forward logging heavy minutes in OT. You've GOT to go for the jugular, ride the emotion of a GTG with 39 seconds to go, instruct Drury to look for that steal and have his linemates prepared to cover when they see him go in case he does blow it. "Playing not to lose" made ZERO sense last night. ZERO.
QFT.

The whole going for the jugular thing is especially noteworthy considering the team's recent condition. A shootout win isn't what the team needs at this point. That would only lead to more "Oh well, they're still just surviving on the shootout." The team needs a confidence boosting win, and heavy pressure should have been applied in OT.

EDIT: Woo hoo! 1,500 posts!

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 08:27 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
But still, we got a point, remember that in April.
When we get destroyed in the first round, I'll be sure to look back on this night fondly.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 08:33 AM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
When we get destroyed in the first round, I'll be sure to look back on this night fondly.
Or finish 9th...not good enough to make the playoffs, but not bad enough to get a good draft pick. Sound familiar?

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 08:35 AM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
QFT.

The whole going for the jugular thing is especially noteworthy considering the team's recent condition. A shootout win isn't what the team needs at this point. That would only lead to more "Oh well, they're still just surviving on the shootout." The team needs a confidence boosting win, and heavy pressure should have been applied in OT.

EDIT: Woo hoo! 1,500 posts!
Under the current circumstances, we need all the points we can get. IDC what the critics would have said if the Rangers won in the shootout. People don't like it? Petition to have it banned from the game. And for who ever is saying "oh well, they're still just surviving on the shootout." I don't think the Rangers or any team in the NHL cares. It's the two points and however you can get them. Shoot out is the last resort.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 08:40 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
Under the current circumstances, we need all the points we can get. IDC what the critics would have said if the Rangers won in the shootout. People don't like it? Petition to have it banned from the game. And for who ever is saying "oh well, they're still just surviving on the shootout." I don't think the Rangers or any team in the NHL cares. It's the two points and however you can get them. Shoot out is the last resort.
I wasn't talking from a standings point of view, I was speaking from the point of view of the players needing a moral victory, a convincing win to build their confidence which has been torn to shreds.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 08:54 AM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
I wasn't talking from a standings point of view, I was speaking from the point of view of the players needing a moral victory, a convincing win to build their confidence which has been torn to shreds.
I agree. I would prefer that type of win as well. And that's exactly why they didn't win last night or even make it to the shoot out. Their confidence is already torn to shreds. Under Renney, I don't see that changing. That's why I was saying to not delay the inevitable. Because it will quickly turn from shreds to dust.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 10:01 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
i got back from the game a while ago and once again im disapointed in a number of things. first off, im really, really disapointed in the fans of this organization. i realize that this ceremony shouldve happened years and years ago, but these two men are two of the greatest players to lace up their skates and put a rangers sweater on, and for them to have their jerseys retired in front of a half empty building is pathetic. ranger fans should be ashamed of themselves. im 19 years old and while i might be one of the more diehard fans (i have my own season tickets that i pay for out of my pocket), i grew up watching the 94 guys and i was still more excited for tonights ceremony then graves night because it honors a past that is forgotten way too much when it comes to this team. i really feel bad for mr. bathgate and mr. howell because they deserved a lot more and a lot better then that from the fans, i dont care how long ago they played. i know we are not montreal, but when they honored his jersey a few yeras ago the place was packed and he played a long time ago. anyways..

onto the game, this "team" we have now is just a waste of time, energy, and money. they are not fun to watch, they dont play with effort and they just flat out suck. ive had more fun watching the islanders lately then them.. you know the islanders suck but they at least try. theres no effort from this team. just anything and everything is wrong with them. firing renney is not going to be the magical solution, changes are needed everywhere and this team will not be good for a long time unless mistakes are somehow fixed. you need to get 2 of the big 4 contracts out of here, and sather needs to go. renney really isnt the problem, if youve been given crap, your guna produce crap. hes been given nothing. this team has no scorer, and hes forced to play a defensive style. but even his defensive players are terrible. now dont get me wrong, renney has made mistakes but he is not the reason this team is like this. hes not the only one who needs to go. hes capable of coaching in this league and winning, he was just given nothing
amen to that...The changes that need to be made are not going to be made tho and everyone knows that. Sather won't be fired...drury, gomez, redden, and rozsival are all here for the long haul as much as we may not want them. Perry Pearn isn't going anywhere so our PP system will keep on sucking.

I was hoping to be able to go to Bathgate/Howell night because I wanted to see that. There are alot of guys in the history of the organization that should be up there..hopefully they keep on doing this. (Boucher, Cook, Ratelle...)

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 10:17 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
*big quote about disappointment with fans*
I agree. The whole "Garden Faithful" crap is so overblown these days. I'm so tired of hearing about the Garden Faithful. Back in the day, yes, there was no place like the Garden. While I never had gone to the Garden before the 96-97 season, just watching on TV you could get that feeling and stories from the people who went add to that. The intimidation that the fans would reign down on the opposing teams and their fans. The energy of 18,200 strong yelling their lungs out saying "LET'S GO RANGERS!"

Today, we have people who go to the Garden that aren't fans of the team. We have people who are too snobby to cheer for the home team. We have fans who get annoyed when people act rowdy and yell for their team to win. We have fans who can't be bothered to celebrate the careers of two of the greatest Rangers ever because they don't know who they are.

We have fans who don't cheer "Let's Go Rangers" unless a goal is scored and even then it doesn't last more than 10 seconds before the place is quiet again. No, instead we yell "Potvin Sucks!" when the team looks flat. Fans who instead of giving players energy to feed off of, can only feed off of the players. Some fans.

I have no problem with booing the team when they suck and cheering them when they win. However, the problem is that even when they win, the place is quiet. Even when it's a close game, the place is quiet. Why must the Garden only be loud after a goal and in the last 10 minutes of the game?

As was written on the Blueshirt Bulletin today,
Quote:
The Garden Faithful needs to be restored, revived, and reinvented.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 10:55 AM
Bury Your Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
I agree. The whole "Garden Faithful" crap is so overblown these days. I'm so tired of hearing about the Garden Faithful. Back in the day, yes, there was no place like the Garden. While I never had gone to the Garden before the 96-97 season, just watching on TV you could get that feeling and stories from the people who went add to that. The intimidation that the fans would reign down on the opposing teams and their fans. The energy of 18,200 strong yelling their lungs out saying "LET'S GO RANGERS!"

Today, we have people who go to the Garden that aren't fans of the team. We have people who are too snobby to cheer for the home team. We have fans who get annoyed when people act rowdy and yell for their team to win. We have fans who can't be bothered to celebrate the careers of two of the greatest Rangers ever because they don't know who they are.

We have fans who don't cheer "Let's Go Rangers" unless a goal is scored and even then it doesn't last more than 10 seconds before the place is quiet again. No, instead we yell "Potvin Sucks!" when the team looks flat. Fans who instead of giving players energy to feed off of, can only feed off of the players. Some fans.

I have no problem with booing the team when they suck and cheering them when they win. However, the problem is that even when they win, the place is quiet. Even when it's a close game, the place is quiet. Why must the Garden only be loud after a goal and in the last 10 minutes of the game?

As was written on the Blueshirt Bulletin today,
Ah, so now it's the fans fault that this team is absolute GARBAGE. They can't score, it's my fault as a fan. They are extremely boring to watch, once again, my fault. They make *STUPID* mistakes and have trouble generating even a couple of quality scoring chances, yep, my fault as a fan. Please. This team blows; if I were making 5 or 6 million a year, I'd feed off my own goddamned pride of trying to earn the contract I signed, not worrying about the ****ing fans and whether they're cheering or not. I'm so sick and tired of people placing blame on everyone BUT

Bury Your Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 10:56 AM
Bury Your Head

....continuation since I submitted but cannot edit my posts....

the players, because when it comes down to it, they're the ones on the ice, and they need to play well. And guess what? They're not. So blame them.

Bury Your Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 11:05 AM
LamoTheKid

I cant wait for the day that we all stop trying to point a finger and just accept the fact that not only does this team suck, but we're in for 5 years of hell due to contracts.

Lets stop being a bunch of children who play the finger pointing game.

And blaming the fans is just ridiculous. So we chant Potvin Sucks. So the **** what? I'm sure plenty of teams have ridiculous chants like that. Ive watched plenty of hockey this year and don't remember a single game where the crowd is going ******* for all 60 minutes. This isnt the GD stanley cup finals, its not even the playoffs. I'm not going to sit in the Garden, pay way too much money for food and drinks and go ballistic for an awful team with no offense.

Its not the fans who suck, its the freaking team that sucks, and sucks the life right out of one of the greatest arenas in the world. This is NY, we're stuck up, we want success now, we want the BEST and we sure as heck pay for it. When its garbage like this out there on the ice, I'm going to yell and boo and ***** and moan all I want, because this is MY team too and I'm unhappy with it. From the Owner all the way down to Kalinen (sans a few bright spots like Korpedo, Henrik and Staal), this team is AWFUL and my booing has nothing to do with PROFESSIONAL athletes underperforming.

So seriously, to those that have the gall to get after the fans, **** YOU. If you want obnoxious fans going ******* for 60 minutes, move to Montreal and have fun shouting soccer chants at a hockey game.

LamoTheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 03:41 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
I leave micro-analysis ofspecific in-game coaching strategy to better informed expert fans than myself.

I'm looking at the big picture.

If you think this is the answer, or if you simply wish to see someone "pay!" for NYR's failures, I guess today's change will warm your heart.

It's window dressing, IMO.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote