HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Brooks spoke to Sather...barely

Old
02-23-2009, 05:59 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

vCash: 500
Brooks spoke to Sather...barely

Quote:
When it was over, when the staggering Blueshirts lost for the 10th time in their last 12 games (2-7-3), Glen Sather talked for a moment to The Post, though the GM had very little to say.

"I can't give you a lot of insight right now," Sather said in the runway leading to the ice when asked for his take on his team. "There's not much I can tell you."

Sather was asked whether coach Tom Renney's job is safe, whether the head coach who has taken the Blueshirts to the playoffs in each of his three full seasons behind the bench, would be on the ice for the club's next practice session.

"I'm not going to get into that. You know that," the general manager told The Post. "I'm not going to talk about that at all."

Sather similarly deflected a question about his intentions regarding Sean Avery, who remains in Hartford on loan from Dallas.

"Sean is another team's property," Sather said before bobbing and weaving when asked when and if he would ask the Stars to place the winger on re-entry waivers so the Rangers could claim him.

"It's more complicated than that," Sather said. "There are cap issues. There might be other things going on that no one knows about.

"That's really all I have for you."
http://www.nypost.com/seven/02232009...gat_156564.htm

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 06:06 AM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
I think it's fairly safe to conclude that his lack of positive words for his staff could mean that we could be seeing a moderately large change soon.

Good news.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 06:11 AM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
I think it's fairly safe to conclude that his lack of positive words for his staff could mean that we could be seeing a moderately large change soon.

Good news.
Wtf does that even mean?

Sather mentioning cap issues is way beyond funny and just a little sad.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 06:13 AM
RinkOnEStreet

Quote:

Good news.
He would be fired by now if a change was going to happen. Someway, somehow Renney is going to keep his job. It's amazing.

RinkOnEStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:

Good news.
I am more curious about the remarks concerning Avery.

To paraphrase "there might be more things going on that no one knows about"

Is Avery being an a-hole in Hartford?Are the Rangers trying to arrange an trade with Dallas taking back a contract and/or contracts?

Old
NYR Lunchbox

Quote:

Good news.
PLEASE

NYR Lunchbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 06:32 AM
Section311

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post

Is Avery being an a-hole in Hartford?Are the Rangers trying to arrange an trade with Dallas taking back a contract and/or contracts?
It makes we wonder if the rozy or redden for avery rumors might have a little truth to it.

Section311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 06:35 AM
beastly115

Quote:

He could just mean that there are like 10 teams in front of us that might claim him if placed on re-entry waivers...

Either way, Sather is a joke. Of course there are cap issues you moron. You made them!

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 06:48 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
He could just mean that there are like 10 teams in front of us that might claim him if placed on re-entry waivers...

Either way, Sather is a joke. Of course there are cap issues you moron. You made them!
Why are you so offended?I thought you lost interest in this team

Cap issues?Glen can't be concerned about the cap regardless of what moves he has made?

Who is the joke?

Old
02-23-2009, 07:16 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I've always defended Glen--I think he's done an OK job here when you look at his entire resume--but his moves of late have been inexcusable and he really needs to go.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 07:20 AM
Barnaby

As for Renney... if he is absolutely keeping Renney then he'd say it. If he is going to change... or thinking about one, then no comment.

As for Avery... he can't comment on another teams player, he may not want to give away his exact plan - PLUS, perhaps the new coach would favor into this decision. Let's say the Rangers went with a tough coach like Tortorella - perhaps Avery would not be the best fit...

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 07:21 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

tough call....

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 07:22 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
As for Renney... if he is absolutely keeping Renney then he'd say it. If he is going to change... or thinking about one, then no comment.

As for Avery... he can't comment on another teams player, he may not want to give away his exact plan - PLUS, perhaps the new coach would favor into this decision. Let's say the Rangers went with a tough coach like Tortorella - perhaps Avery would not be the best fit...
I don't know about that. There's a reason why we always hear about the "Dreaded Vote of Confidence" from management/ownership--what they say doesn't count for ****. Glen is just coy with the media, it's pretty much impossible to read him unless he wants you to, IMO.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 07:30 AM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I don't know about that. There's a reason why we always hear about the "Dreaded Vote of Confidence" from management/ownership--what they say doesn't count for ****. Glen is just coy with the media, it's pretty much impossible to read him unless he wants you to, IMO.
Your right... Sather is certainly a strange bird...

However, I feel if he was absolutely going to keep Renney, then he'd say it... let him concentrate on his job rather then have that in the back of his mind... also save Renney from answering all the job questions...

Old
02-23-2009, 07:38 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
However, I feel if he was absolutely going to keep Renney, then he'd say it... let him concentrate on his job rather then have that in the back of his mind... also save Renney from answering all the job questions...
From this perspective, he could have told Renney his job was safe privately, and just be keeping the media in the dark for whatever reason.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 07:39 AM
gravytrain6t

He was asked a simple question? Will Tom Renney be coaching the Rangers next practice?

I don't understand why Sather has to say, "I'm not going to get into that. I'm not going to talk about that at all and you know that."

If Renney's job is so secure, wouldn't he just say "of course Renney will be here, silly question."

Is it that ridiculous of a question? Well, I mean, If he plans on keeping Renney. Is it that bad of a question? It's a legitimate question. The team is playing like garbage. Sather knows why the question was asked.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 07:43 AM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
From this perspective, he could have told Renney his job was safe privately, and just be keeping the media in the dark for whatever reason.
But keep the media in the dark why?? To avoid further questions maybe? I can understand that. If Sather was too say "Renney's job is secure," he would then only be further subjected to more annoying questions.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 07:58 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:

I don't think it's Avery-specific. He could just mean, the team is going to make a deal that no one in the media has picked up on.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 08:05 AM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
For what reason? So it can lead to a million questions for Renney and himself? My guess: He isn't sure. I bet he is leaning one way or another, but he's leaving himself an out...

Old
02-23-2009, 08:09 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
For what reason? So it can lead to a million questions for Renney and himself? My guess: He isn't sure. I bet he is leaning one way or another, but he's leaving himself an out...
Because he keeps the media in the dark on everything. I think you're right about him not being sure, but I think that even if he was sure, there's a good chance he'd be just as coy.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 08:17 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:

Good news.
Yea, Sather came off as a real beacon of information here. He sounds just as clueless as he was in the summer putting together this deeply flawed roster.

When/if he gets rid of Renney, the next bullseye should fall squarely on him. Thats good news.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 08:24 AM
ThirdEye

Really hope he was "alluding" to big changes, although there is a good chance that there isn't actually anything of note going on. This 'team' is not even a team anymore, just a bunch of players showing up for work because they have to and for no other reason that I can see.

Something has to be done, if only to relieve some of the tension we've been seeing. It's sad watching this team

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 08:35 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

If you're in the position to **** can someone but haven't done it yet, you typically don't run your mouth to anyone else about it. It's called respect and whether or not the fans have any respect for Renney, Sather does.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 08:38 AM
The Thomas J.*

At least Sather finally said somthing.

It's at the point were Sather needs to hold himself accountable, I'm sure Renney had alot of player imput when all the FA signings were made, but ultimately Sather made the deals.

It's quite a jam we are in.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 08:46 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
"There are cap issues."
Pure gold.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote