HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brooks spoke to Sather...barely

Old
02-23-2009, 09:58 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

vCash: 500
I am and still remain somewhat of a Sather supporter. But I am pissed that he refuses to address the media. At the very least get your damn mug in front of a mic and let the fans know what the intentions are here. 10 out of 12 games and all you get is..."I'm not going to get into that?" ...Guess what Glen, it's part of your job.

Imagine if 18,000 people cancelled thier tix for a game? Imagine when asked about why the arena is completely empty, everyone just sat back and..."We are unable to discuss the matter?"

Gotta at least address the issue at hand.

On a side note...there was lots of talk last night in and around the arena about potential coaches. Messiers name was mentioned by an ex-member of the NYR. Not sure if he really has the inside scoop or if it was personal opinion. Take it for what it's worth, but the quote was... "I am not the only one who thinks he will make a very good coach with this particular organization"

...I left it at that, and didn't really get into it, but I personally don't agree with that. I loved Messier, and will always be thankful for what he accomplished here. But, if in someway he took over as head coach for the Rangers, I think it could be a disaster waiting to happen. What happens if he did take over the reiigns in some form and the team continued it's losing ways? Would the Garden Faithful boo him too? That is something I would never want to see personally. But, I wouldn't be the least bnit opposed to seeing him hired as assistant coach of some sort.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 10:09 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
I am and still remain somewhat of a Sather supporter. But I am pissed that he refuses to address the media. At the very least get your damn mug in front of a mic and let the fans know what the intentions are here. 10 out of 12 games and all you get is..."I'm not going to get into that?" ...Guess what Glen, it's part of your job.
No it's not his job to keep the fans informed of his every move. It also not be a good idea to go out and tell everyone "yeah we're going to have a firesale". Most GMs in the league don't go around saying "yes well this is exactly what I'm going to do"

People are just frustrated because the team is playing poorly and we don't know what Sather plans to do about that. This really isn't a unique position, however.

Quote:
Imagine if 18,000 people cancelled thier tix for a game? Imagine when asked about why the arena is completely empty, everyone just sat back and..."We are unable to discuss the matter?"
This makes no sense and isn't comparable.

Quote:
Gotta at least address the issue at hand.
He is. He just isn't going around telling everyone what he's going to do (and I'm also not saying that whatever he does will necessarily be the right thing, I'm just saying that I'm sure he is addressing the issue in the way he thinks it should be addressed)

Quote:
On a side note...there was lots of talk last night in and around the arena about potential coaches. Messiers name was mentioned by an ex-member of the NYR. Not sure if he really has the inside scoop or if it was personal opinion. Take it for what it's worth, but the quote was... "I am not the only one who thinks he will make a very good coach with this particular organization"

...I left it at that, and didn't really get into it, but I personally don't agree with that. I loved Messier, and will always be thankful for what he accomplished here. But, if in someway he took over as head coach for the Rangers, I think it could be a disaster waiting to happen. What happens if he did take over the reiigns in some form and the team continued it's losing ways? Would the Garden Faithful boo him too? That is something I would never want to see personally. But, I wouldn't be the least bnit opposed to seeing him hired as assistant coach of some sort.
Yeah there's no way Messier is just going to jump right into being a NHL coach without any experience with it at all. If Messier wants to coach, I don't think he's going to start doing it at the NHL level, unless it's as an assistant coach or something and then work his way into the head coaching job.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 10:16 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
No it's not his job to keep the fans informed of his every move. It also not be a good idea to go out and tell everyone "yeah we're going to have a firesale". Most GMs in the league don't go around saying "yes well this is exactly what I'm going to do"
Agree with this, Sather does not have to come out and tell everyone his exact plans.

Having said that, you think the least the guy could do is address the media once in a while (or once), which indirectly means addressing the fans. Cashman, Minaya, Tannenbaum, Reese, Walsh, even freakin' Lou Lamoriello at least respect the fans enough to give them a few minutes of their precious time.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 10:28 AM
Levitate

I agree that he could speak a little more, but I think in general people really only want to hear from him when things are going bad and they want to know what his plans to fix it are. If the team is doing great, I don't really hear people complaining. It seems to be more about wanting some reassurance that things are being taken care of, or perhaps wanting a target to take out some frustrations on.

I could be wrong, but I also seem to remember him being at least a little more open when he first became the Rangers GM, and then he got blasted (deservedly in many cases) for some of the things he did. That seems to have made him back off and stay out of the spotlight, possibly because he knows the fans don't really like him

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 10:41 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I agree that he could speak a little more, but I think in general people really only want to hear from him when things are going bad and they want to know what his plans to fix it are. If the team is doing great, I don't really hear people complaining. It seems to be more about wanting some reassurance that things are being taken care of, or perhaps wanting a target to take out some frustrations on.

I could be wrong, but I also seem to remember him being at least a little more open when he first became the Rangers GM, and then he got blasted (deservedly in many cases) for some of the things he did. That seems to have made him back off and stay out of the spotlight, possibly because he knows the fans don't really like him
Unfortunately, he may have learned his lesson about dealing with the media, but he hasn't learned his lesson about making the right decisions. The reason he would still get blasted is because in most cases, he still deserves to be.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 10:54 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
He is probably thinking how stupid his signings have been and now the team can't win and he can't do anything about it.

Or not. The point is he can't do anything even if he wants to. He can't make a big move like he needs to because of his stupid signings. Everyone here knows that...unless some team is dumb enough to take one of the big contracts, the Rangers can't make moves big enough to change the team drastically.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 11:07 AM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Because he keeps the media in the dark on everything. I think you're right about him not being sure, but I think that even if he was sure, there's a good chance he'd be just as coy.
WHY? If he knew beyond a shadow of a doubt Renney was finishing the year, then he'd say it. Keeping the media in the dark keeps Renney questioning his job. It means him hearing a ton of questions which is distracting whether he keeps it in private or now. At the very least, this says Sather isn't ruling anything out...

As for trades... come on guys... he's not going to come out, and say... oh yea, I'm looking to deal Dawes. I think X team will give me X player. All GM's would be vague or completely unhelpful with this - Sather is just a jerk, and says it in a way with no tact or personality.

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 11:10 AM
SML

This team is in bad shape... They are small, They aren't physical, they aren't overly fast or skilled, and they aren't good enough defensively to make that their trademark. The coaching staff is in over it's head, and the team lacks an identity. On top of all that, they're capped out. The team is poorly constructed, and has few options as to how to fix it. This team, IMO, has SELL written all over it. Open up the phones and listen to any and all offers. The only guys not on the market AFAIC are Lundqvist, Staal, Girardi, and Callahan. I'd keep Dubinsky unless a team wants to give up a real talent for him. If we could swing the cap to get a Kovalchuk or someone like that and he's who they want, I'd pack his bags for him. But this team is going nowhere fast. Back up the truck, prepare to submerge, call it what you want. But Sather has to take a serious look at this team and see it for what it is, and try to gain something out of this trainwreck.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 11:11 AM
OrbitalDynamics

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Pure gold.
Understatement of the year, to put it mildly.

OrbitalDynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 01:24 PM
ManicSubsidal15

Send a message via AIM to ManicSubsidal15
Well all this speculation doesn't matter anymore since Renney and Pearn were officially fired today

ManicSubsidal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 02:17 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Levitate- I am certainly not as a fan ever going to expect a GM to inform the Ranger nation of every single move he is going to make. That is not my point. But, complete silence after losing 10 out of 12 was also not an option. But...I guess he spoke with actions rather than words.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote