HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is it acceptable for Pro athletes to party?

Old
02-23-2009, 12:01 PM
Lafontaine

vCash: 500
Is it acceptable for Pro athletes to party?

Straight forward question. I know that most of this board has a "what's the big deal" attitude about this, but the simple physical facts would tell you that a player who is running his body down 3 or 4 nights a week with drugs and alchohol CAN NOT perform to the same standard they would if they were living a healthier lifestyle.

I remember reading the Roy Keane (Man United) autobiography several years ago and he talked about how in the old days (early 80s and prior) players would be out on the town constantly, but the new multi-million dollar athletes of modern sport are held to a higher standard and this behavior is no longer typical of professional sports.

In such a competitive environment where every edge you can get makes a difference and these kids are receiving millions of dollars to uphold a certain level of play, should we not be upset that they are taking actions that harm their performance?

Hey, I know we all like to party, but if someone came to you and said, here is a million bucks, you can play pro hockey, but you better keep partying down to a few nights a year... would you feel that hard done by?

Lafontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 12:02 PM
Iwishihadacup

this will not end well

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 12:02 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Yes it is normal.

They are human.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 12:03 PM
HotHabsFan*

Yes is my answer to your question

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 12:03 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

No. They shouldn't have lives.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 12:04 PM
ReVeuF

I accept that unless it affect the performance on the ice... and it is the case for the Habs.

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
FlyingKostitsyn

Absolutely. But its partying all night before a game I have a problem with.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
holyhabs87

lock em up in cages between games and practices

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 12:05 PM
CTHabsfan

Partying ruins your ability to perform at a high level. Guy Lafleur and Babe Ruth are two prime examples of careers that flopped due to excessive partying.

CTHabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 12:06 PM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
Yes it is normal.

They are human.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Absolutely. But its partying all night before a game I have a problem with.

Pretty much sums it up...

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafontaine View Post
Straight forward question. I know that most of this board has a "what's the big deal" attitude about this, but the simple physical facts would tell you that a player who is running his body down 3 or 4 nights a week with drugs and alchohol CAN NOT perform to the same standard they would if they were living a healthier lifestyle.
Is it acceptable to who exactly?

I'm guessing Lou Lamoriello wouldn't accept this behaviour, and if you don't like it you can play elsewhere.

Anyway, as a fan I don't care about whether guys party or not.

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
crystal ball

I think it must certainly affect the ability a person has to perform at his highest level. I know when I spend a night on the booze, getting five or six hours' sleep, I'm tired, slow and a little bit sick the next day. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be playing my best hockey on a day when I'm hungover. I think we as fans can't expect the players to be held to a higher standard than we hold ourselves. But, George Gillett can. He's the guy who's paying for their best play...and the guy who should be highly put out if they're using his money to pay for stuff that would harm their ability to give the boss what he wants.

crystal ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 12:07 PM
Bill McNeal

It should be the same standards for any job. In your off time you should be able to do anything you want (within the law) as long as it does not adversely affect your performance or pose such a risk (eg. some players have it in their contracts that they cannot do dangerous activities like mountain climbing or what have you).

Given that's it's very hard to gauge whether partying affects a player's performance, there is very little grounds to say they cannot.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 12:09 PM
le_sean

Yes they can party but not the night before games. Give them a curfew and scratch them if they come in one minute late.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 12:09 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:

I remember reading the Roy Keane (Man United) autobiography several years ago and he talked about how in the old days (early 80s and prior) players would be out on the town constantly, but the new multi-million dollar athletes of modern sport are held to a higher standard and this behavior is no longer typical of professional sports.

In such a competitive environment where every edge you can get makes a difference and these kids are receiving millions of dollars to uphold a certain level of play, should we not be upset that they are taking actions that harm their performance?

Hey, I know we all like to party, but if someone came to you and said, here is a million bucks, you can play pro hockey, but you better keep partying down to a few nights a year... would you feel that hard done by?
yeah its the real world . There HUMAN and sooner more realize this the better,

there TEMPTED into things just the same as most other humans are. There drawn into addiction like many other Humans.

Being drafted as a professional athlete doesn't protect you from all the temptations of the world it probably draws you into more(fast cars , fast women, money, its all there )

So one can only hope the partying etc is keep with in reason, but hey ive seen time and time again the most quite people in life become the most crazy ones at parties .

Its the nature of the beast(and we shouldnt excuse it)that we all fight against daily .

Last edited by Artyukhin*: 02-23-2009 at 12:15 PM.
Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 12:10 PM
BBrowser

Define "party"?

?
??

BBrowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 12:10 PM
habdynasty

Build a jail beside the stadium and during the season the inmates(players) are not allowed out. I remember stories about the soviet red army team, they were not allowed to live with their families during the season maybe thats what we should do.

habdynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 12:12 PM
Lafontaine

I am surprised that everyone just brushes it off: "of course, they should have lives"...

Great, let them have lives, they can do whatever they want as long as they don't harm their bodies and performance. Just like we all flipped out when Brisebois went skiing - remember that?

For me, if I was in management, I would consider their bodies (enjoy this fellas)... my property (hehe). In other words, I am giving you a million dollars to squeeze every bit of talent and ability out of you. If you diminish your capacity by 20 or 30% that is like a loss on my investment.

PS: Just to cause some fights here: If you think that drugs and alchohol don't harm performance, you are either dillusional or have never played sports at a high level.

Lafontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 12:13 PM
TheCH*

They can party all they want as long as it doesn't interfere with their jobs. Same goes for anybody no matter what their profession..

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 12:13 PM
Markovskaya

Markovskaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 12:14 PM
Shane

I think ultimately it's up to a player's team. I think if a club is investing millions of dollars into a player, it's well within the team's rights to dictate , within reason, what a player can or cannot do. And I think partying falls under that.

If the team doesn't care, then they can do what they want I suppose.

Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 12:14 PM
Claimed Off Waivers

Yes, as long as they aren't doing it the night before a game, using drugs, or getting in fights.

Claimed Off Waivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 12:15 PM
Capitano

Quote:
I am surprised that everyone just brushes it off: "of course, they should have lives"...

Great, let them have lives, they can do whatever they want as long as they don't harm their bodies and performance. Just like we all flipped out when Brisebois went skiing - remember that?

For me, if I was in management, I would consider their bodies (enjoy this fellas)... my property (hehe). In other words, I am giving you a million dollars to squeeze every bit of talent and ability out of you. If you diminish your capacity by 20 or 30% that is like a loss on my investment.

PS: Just to cause some fights here: If you think that drugs and alchohol don't harm performance, you are either dillusional or have never played sports at a high level.
Why are you surprised? We don't own the Montreal Canadiens.

If it affected our own bottom line then maybe you'd see some people change their tune.

Old
02-23-2009, 12:15 PM
LesCanadiens

Quote:

Too many fans get defensive about their idols to the point where all common sense, good judgment and objective thought goes out the window. It's a love is blind deaf and dumb situation.

LesCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 12:16 PM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
I think ultimately it's up to a player's team. I think if a club is investing millions of dollars into a player, it's well within the team's rights to dictate , within reason, what a player can or cannot do. And I think partying falls under that.

If the team doesn't care, then they can do what they want I suppose.
yes.