HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Steve Begin

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-23-2009, 10:49 AM
  #1
Peoples
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 71
vCash: 500
Steve Begin

A classy Veteran ...although injuries have been part of habs this year Tanguay, Koivu, Lang, Latendresse, Laraque .theirs just no place for the guy....still reasonably young......
its heartbreaking for him to see Dandy in front of him i'm sure some team would welcome him....for a 5th rounder or something maybe a 4 th.....is value will never be higher then right know
What do you guys think ?

Peoples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 10:51 AM
  #2
Peoples
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 71
vCash: 500
value will never be higher then right know................maening trade deadline March 4 th

Peoples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 10:51 AM
  #3
wedge
Registered User
 
wedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: victoriaville
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,275
vCash: 500
I don't think he would be claimed if put on waivers, so forget about the pick.

I like the guy, but he's beaten up and even with his young in age, his body isn't.

He can stick in the AHL a few years but I think his NHL career is almost over.

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 10:54 AM
  #4
habfan1968
Registered User
 
habfan1968's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,126
vCash: 50
When he is playing well he is great on the fourth line and he wears his heart on his sleeve so it is hard to see him on the outside looking in but if he is still around in the playoffs he could be a valuable energy guy although we have a bunch. We could get a third for him as I believe other teams will see the same value.

habfan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 10:56 AM
  #5
Haddock
Registered User
 
Haddock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Moulinsart
Posts: 2,133
vCash: 500
Bégin has no value on the trade market. He's a nice guy to keep around for the playoffs. He can find himself a new home this summer.

Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 11:03 AM
  #6
CTHabsfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 400
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan1968 View Post
When he is playing well he is great on the fourth line and he wears his heart on his sleeve so it is hard to see him on the outside looking in but if he is still around in the playoffs he could be a valuable energy guy although we have a bunch. We could get a third for him as I believe other teams will see the same value.
If I were the GM of a team that had Steve Begin at his best (and he is no longer at his best), I would act immediately if another GM were to offer me a 3rd round pick in exchange. Don't forget, this is someone whom the Canadiens grabbed off of waivers and has never become anything more than a 4th line player.

CTHabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 11:20 AM
  #7
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 19,440
vCash: 500
No team will offer any draft pick for Bégin...who is going to give up a pick for a pending UFA who is not even a regular.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 11:22 AM
  #8
TheCH*
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,060
vCash: 500
I'd waive/trade Laraque long before Begin.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 11:24 AM
  #9
Bitterman
Registered User
 
Bitterman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 438
vCash: 500
Stewart just made Begin redundant. Of course the French media will try to make a big deal out of Begin, Soup, Brisebois & Dandy not returning next year. Add Tanguay who may decide to play elsewhere and suddenly the Habs could have just 3 (Lats, Lappy & Laraque) Francophones on the team next year and there's a good chance Laraque will get moved. Oh yeah, the media will be pleased.

Bitterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 12:07 PM
  #10
HH
GO HABS GO!
 
HH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,274
vCash: 500
Useless player on a good team. He was useful when we had a bunch of grinders in 03-04 and 05-06 but with the team being much better talent wise and getting younger players who do a better job than him, he got useless. Heck, I hate Begin, I hate him since that dumbass penalty in the last game in Toronto 2 years ago and the bonehead penalty late in Game 4 in Philly.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 12:16 PM
  #11
saints96
Registered User
 
saints96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,928
vCash: 500
we don`t need him

saints96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 12:18 PM
  #12
Mustafa*
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 3,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haddock View Post
Bégin has no value on the trade market. He's a nice guy to keep around for the playoffs. He can find himself a new home this summer.
You summed it up pretty well, except i wouldn't bet on him finding a new team next year. His career is pretty much finished.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 12:20 PM
  #13
jnthomas
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 679
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to jnthomas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
Useless player on a good team. He was useful when we had a bunch of grinders in 03-04 and 05-06 but with the team being much better talent wise and getting younger players who do a better job than him, he got useless. Heck, I hate Begin, I hate him since that dumbass penalty in the last game in Toronto 2 years ago and the bonehead penalty late in Game 4 in Philly.
If you're going to remember his boneheaded plays, might as well remember some of his better moves (to make things fair). I can't tell you which game it was but it was during the Habs-Bruins the year the Habs won in 7 (despite the Bs being big favorites). Begin went to check a guy, missed and hit the board face first. This was in the first period. In the third period he was back hitting everyone he could see despite losing a few front teeth and having a heck of a lot of stitches.

That being said, the talent of the depth of this team make him a redundant cog despite his warrior spirit.

jnthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 12:22 PM
  #14
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 15,078
vCash: 500
I'd keep him around because the rosters expand before the playoffs. Incase of an injury he'd be a decent replacement.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 12:22 PM
  #15
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 23,426
vCash: 500
Wait..lemme get some tissues..

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 12:41 PM
  #16
Fire Brunet*
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: .-.
Posts: 5,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnthomas View Post
If you're going to remember his boneheaded plays, might as well remember some of his better moves (to make things fair). I can't tell you which game it was but it was during the Habs-Bruins the year the Habs won in 7 (despite the Bs being big favorites). Begin went to check a guy, missed and hit the board face first. This was in the first period. In the third period he was back hitting everyone he could see despite losing a few front teeth and having a heck of a lot of stitches.

That being said, the talent of the depth of this team make him a redundant cog despite his warrior spirit.
That was 5 years go dude...

Fire Brunet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 12:46 PM
  #17
HotHabsFan*
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bell Center Vagabond
Posts: 2,192
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
I'd waive/trade Laraque long before Begin.
please tell me you are kidding, because BGL changes the oppositions plans of reaking havoc on our players by scaring the **** out of them, and Begin well..LOL

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 12:49 PM
  #18
HotHabsFan*
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bell Center Vagabond
Posts: 2,192
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitterman View Post
Stewart just made Begin redundant. Of course the French media will try to make a big deal out of Begin, Soup, Brisebois & Dandy not returning next year. Add Tanguay who may decide to play elsewhere and suddenly the Habs could have just 3 (Lats, Lappy & Laraque) Francophones on the team next year and there's a good chance Laraque will get moved. Oh yeah, the media will be pleased.

yeah ok. when was the last time BG signed a player and traded them the same year or even the following year ?

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 12:51 PM
  #19
Mustafa*
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 3,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHabsFan View Post
yeah ok. when was the last time BG signed a player and traded them the same year or even the following year ?
He traded Smolinsky to Anonymity HC one year after signing him.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 12:53 PM
  #20
jnthomas
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 679
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to jnthomas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Komisarek View Post
That was 5 years go dude...
You're point being?

jnthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 12:53 PM
  #21
Iwishihadacup
Registered User
 
Iwishihadacup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnthomas View Post
You're point being?
that his 2 seasons ending penalties are bigger than his warrior spirit

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 12:56 PM
  #22
Haddock
Registered User
 
Haddock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Moulinsart
Posts: 2,133
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
You summed it up pretty well, except i wouldn't bet on him finding a new team next year. His career is pretty much finished.
That new home could be in Germany or Switzerland if he doesn't find any takers over here. He's only thirty years old. I really wish him all the best.

Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 12:56 PM
  #23
HotHabsFan*
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bell Center Vagabond
Posts: 2,192
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
He traded Smolinsky to Anonymity HC one year after signing him.
my point exactly

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 01:00 PM
  #24
Fire Brunet*
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: .-.
Posts: 5,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnthomas View Post
You're point being?
The Begin lovers always mention a 5 year old play to defend him. They forget about the penalties he takes at crucial times... Don't get me wrong, I like Begin too, but it's time to move on..

Fire Brunet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 01:01 PM
  #25
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate
 
Chris Cutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Beauce
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHabsFan View Post
yeah ok. when was the last time BG signed a player and traded them the same year or even the following year ?
Samsonov.

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:22 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.