HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Gaborik to MTL

Old
02-23-2009, 01:48 PM
Ludo

vCash: 500
Gaborik to MTL

Now that Gaborik is back and healthy...would you do this?

TO MTL
- Gaborik

TO MIN
- 1st rounder
- S. Kostitsyn
- S. Begin

Montreal gets a great, fast superstar. Albeit injury prone Gaborik can make a HUGE difference. And I think he can be re-signed during the off-season to replace Kovalev's points (and more).

Minnesota gets a great draft pick, a good 2-way player and a fourth line grinder.

flame on.

Ludo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 01:49 PM
CrosbyCrosby*

overpayment by montreal

CrosbyCrosby* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 01:51 PM
Rscorpio
Epic Meal Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yumphod View Post
overpayment by montreal

Yeak take out Begin

Rscorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 01:55 PM
Nikita Filatov*

Send a message via AIM to Nikita Filatov*
I can't see anyone offering much for him, and I can't see Minny selling low on him.

Nikita Filatov* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 01:57 PM
Deal Sealer

Send a message via MSN to Deal Sealer
Minnesota could get a way better offer than s.kostitsyn, begin and a 1st rounder. So they politely decline and listen to better offers.

Deal Sealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 01:59 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

You keep him.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 02:31 PM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
You keep him.
We will. Have a nice 100th season.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 02:33 PM
Kid_Roll

What people need to realize is that the most important thing here is that Gaborik come back, get healthy, and play for a high scoring team, so that all the sneaky people that put Gaborik on the IR spot in their hockey pools can pull out their trump card near the end of the season.

Kid_Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 02:43 PM
WreckItRask

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikita Filatov View Post
I can't see anyone offering much for him, and I can't see Minny selling low on him.
I can't see Minny selling low on him, but I could certainly see someone offering something decent for him. If he's healthy, he is without a doubt the best UFA available via trade. Better than Bouwmeester. He's a 27 year old who has had (even with injuries) seasons of 42, 38, and 30 goals since the lockout.

The obvious issue is the risk involved with trading for him given his injuries, I get that, but Gaborik is an elite offensive talent in this league. If I'm a GM, why not propose an incentive laden deal. You'll have to offer some roster talent and probably a high end prospect, but any picks could be conditional based on his games played.

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 03:21 PM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely06 View Post
I can't see Minny selling low on him, but I could certainly see someone offering something decent for him. If he's healthy, he is without a doubt the best UFA available via trade. Better than Bouwmeester. He's a 27 year old who has had (even with injuries) seasons of 42, 38, and 30 goals since the lockout.

The obvious issue is the risk involved with trading for him given his injuries, I get that, but Gaborik is an elite offensive talent in this league. If I'm a GM, why not propose an incentive laden deal. You'll have to offer some roster talent and probably a high end prospect, but any picks could be conditional based on his games played.
You are trying to explain reason to hfboards; it won't work. It does not matter if Gaborik is the leading even-strength goals/game scorer since the lock-out.

Here, Gaborik has a lower trade value than Dominic Moore.

Last edited by nickschultzfan: 02-23-2009 at 03:29 PM.
Old
02-23-2009, 03:32 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:

Just not sure if I'd want to include a roster player and a high end prospect for a guy who has had his injury history and coming off another surgery. MG is insanely talented, but I would require a pick coming back from MINN based on the number of games than MG plays.

Hypothetically speaking -something like this. Hawks trade Byfuglien, B level prospect & their 1st for Gaborik and MINN's 1st in 2009 if Gaborik doesn't play in 75% of the Hawk's play-off games.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 03:40 PM
Mancini79

Send a message via MSN to Mancini79 Send a message via Yahoo to Mancini79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
Just not sure if I'd want to include a roster player and a high end prospect for a guy who has had his injury history and coming off another surgery. MG is insanely talented, but I would require a pick coming back from MINN based on the number of games than MG plays.

Hypothetically speaking -something like this. Hawks trade Byfuglien, B level prospect & their 1st for Gaborik and MINN's 1st in 2009 if Gaborik doesn't play in 75% of the Hawk's play-off games.
You think Havlat would be a possibility?

Mancini79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 03:45 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
You are trying to explain reason to hfboards; it won't work. It does not matter if Gaborik is the leading even-strength goals/game scorer since the lock-out.

Here, Gaborik has a lower trade value than Dominic Moore.
No, it's just people don't want to trade a fair amount to Minnesota for a guy who may, or may not play a fair amount of games in the regular season and be around in the playoffs.

He's extremely skilled, but I don't know if a team wants to take that chance and then have him bolt in the off season and be left with nothing.

He and Tanguay would look good together in Montréal, but I don,t know if I would be glad for Montréal to give up a 1st, a good prospect and maybe another prospect just for him.

Unless, like stated above, it's Gaborik + a conditional pick for a 1st, prospect and maybe a roster player to go back, then yeah, I'd be up for it... depending on the prospect and roster player.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 04:19 PM
WreckItRask

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
No, it's just people don't want to trade a fair amount to Minnesota for a guy who may, or may not play a fair amount of games in the regular season and be around in the playoffs.

He's extremely skilled, but I don't know if a team wants to take that chance and then have him bolt in the off season and be left with nothing.

He and Tanguay would look good together in Montréal, but I don,t know if I would be glad for Montréal to give up a 1st, a good prospect and maybe another prospect just for him.

Unless, like stated above, it's Gaborik + a conditional pick for a 1st, prospect and maybe a roster player to go back, then yeah, I'd be up for it... depending on the prospect and roster player.

I get what you're saying, but there are risks involved with pretty much every trade at the deadline. You are always risking future assets panning out elsewhere for the potential of immediate success for your organization in the now. I understand that Gaborik's injury this year presents a higher level of risk associated with trading for him, but Gaborik's talent also presents the (by far) the highest possible reward should it pan out. There isn't a player available at the deadline that is even in the same class as Gaborik skill wise, so if I'm a GM whose job is riding on some short term success this year, then maybe I roll the dice with Gaborik and keep my fingers crossed that he stays healthy. I know what I'm getting if I trade for guys like Moore, Antropov, Rechi, Comrie, etc...decent players but none of those guys put you over the top. They fill holes and add some depth.

If he's not healthy, then this whole argument is null and void. But if he's healthy and available, he instantly becomes the crown jewel of the UFA class. He's the only legit 1st line player available at the deadline, and could potentially make a decent playoff a Stanley Cup contender. As a Bruins fan, I can't even imagine how dangerous they would be if they acquired a healthy Gaborik to man the LW on their first line.

-I don't think he gets moved anyways because I think Minny keeps him for all the reasons above. If he's healthy, he makes Minny the scariest team in the West to have to face as a top seed.

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 04:24 PM
Zal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludo View Post
Now that Gaborik is back and healthy for about a week...would you do this?

TO MTL
- Gaborik

TO MIN
- 1st rounder
- S. Kostitsyn
- S. Begin

Montreal gets a great, fast superstar. Albeit injury prone Gaborik can make a HUGE difference. And I think he can be re-signed during the off-season to replace Kovalev's points (and more).

Minnesota gets a great draft pick, a good 2-way player and a fourth line grinder.

flame on.
Helped ya out with your initial question.

Zal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 04:25 PM
smon

Quote:
I get what you're saying, but there are risks involved with pretty much every trade at the deadline. You are always risking future assets panning out elsewhere for the potential of immediate success for your organization in the now. I understand that Gaborik's injury this year presents a higher level of risk associated with trading for him, but Gaborik's talent also presents the (by far) the highest possible reward should it pan out. There isn't a player available at the deadline that is even in the same class as Gaborik skill wise, so if I'm a GM whose job is riding on some short term success this year, then maybe I roll the dice with Gaborik and keep my fingers crossed that he stays healthy. I know what I'm getting if I trade for guys like Moore, Antropov, Rechi, Comrie, etc...decent players but none of those guys put you over the top. They fill holes and add some depth.

If he's not healthy, then this whole argument is null and void. But if he's healthy and available, he instantly becomes the crown jewel of the UFA class. He's the only legit 1st line player available at the deadline, and could potentially make a decent playoff a Stanley Cup contender. As a Bruins fan, I can't even imagine how dangerous they would be if they acquired a healthy Gaborik to man the LW on their first line.

-I don't think he gets moved anyways because I think Minny keeps him for all the reasons above. If he's healthy, he makes Minny the scariest team in the West to have to face as a top seed.
Agreed. I don't really think it makes sense for Minnesota to move such a talented guy considering they are a playoff team. Personally I felt that the rumours at the start of the season were hyperbole too, although it made more sense then given that Minnesota could get more. But at this point, if they're going into the playoffs why offload their best offensive talent? They won't get a comparable player back.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 04:30 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildfan1979 View Post
You think Havlat would be a possibility?
I really don't. Don't get me wrong - Gaborik's definetely the better player when both guys are healthy. I just don't see that Hawks trading Havlat, who has been the best offensive player on the team this year, for Gabork. The potential upgrade wouldn't be worth the chemistry or health risk. And I realize that the health risk is for both guys - but GM's don't make that kind of gamble when their team is making the P/O's for the first time in 5+ years.

Old
02-23-2009, 04:35 PM
nickschultzfan

And there is still a chance Gaborik re-signs in Minnesota. I'm not saying its a big chance, but there is still a chance if they put together a decent run in the playoffs.

He got injured right in the middle of the negotiations, which shut everything down. The Wild's GM stated that he thinks it's inappoproriate to try to negotiated when a player is injured. And then the injury kept getting longer.

Who knows, both the Wild's and Gaborik's situations have changed since the initial negotiations. Gaborik's not going to get as much as a UFA and the Wild are more willing to part ways with him.

Old
02-23-2009, 04:44 PM
JesusBouillon

Wasn't there rumors that Minny's management were really high on Higgins a while back?

Higgins and a first?

JesusBouillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 04:49 PM
smon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusBouillon View Post
Wasn't there rumors that Minny's management were really high on Higgins a while back?

Higgins and a first?
Well if they decided to trade Gaborik it makes sense that Montreal would be involved. Gainey and Riseborough were ex-teammates after all and presumably get along pretty well. Plus, it was reported on HNIC that Gaborik was offered to the Canadiens at the start of the season but Gainey had a thanks, but no thanks kind of reaction.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 04:50 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Gaborik is too good a player for the Wild to give up when his current market value is likely low due to his perceived risk factor.

As a Habs fan, I wouldn't give up a 1st rounder for him. He might not even make 20 rental games, given his history.

As a Wild fan, I wouldn't take a "meh" futures package for him, since he could be key to my team making the playoffs and then to whatever degree of success they'd have there.

Somebody will have to be a crazy riverboat gambler to make the kind of offer to the Wild that would make sense for them to accept. Or would have to have their own risk-laden asset to offer which somehow magically appeals to Lemaire/Risebrough. I can't see a futures package working out here, and I think the odds of the magical non-futures match emerging have to be awfully low.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 05:00 PM
emb24*

Quote:

TO MTL
- Gaborik

TO MIN
- 1st rounder
- S. Kostitsyn
- S. Begin

flame on.
montreal never does this deal. ever. and the poster who believes minny could get more for an injury prone UFA who's missed 90% of the season is on crack

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 05:00 PM
TOML

Quote:
Umm... Since when?

This is all that's available, as far as his status is concerned:

Quote:
Gaborik resumed skating on his own during his recovery from left hip surgery, the Associated Press reports.

Spin: Gaborik will undergo a major physical test on March 1 to assess his progress, potentially returning to the ice later that month.
Who knows if he'll play this season again or not?

He decided to have hip surgery on Jan. 6th. Usually a 10-14 week recovery to play hockey again. So him being 'back and healthy' at this point is miraculous to say the least.

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 05:03 PM
MM425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikita Filatov View Post
Thing is, do they have a choice?

Reports have him as good as gone in Minny. With his injury history... there isn't even a guarantee he'll play another game this season.

By trading him, at least they can get something for him. They're definately not going to get a return like Atlanta did for Hossa last year, but they still could get decent value. A conditional pick or prospect maybe.

MM425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 05:03 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:

What GM risks significant assets for a guy who has played 5 games this year, and is coming off major surgery? Especially for a guy with a history of groin and hip issues? I don't think that a GM would move a blue chip prospect - or a contributing NHL player, because if Gaborik doesn't come back - the team is screwed. And no GM wants to be the guy that makes that move and have Gaborik not contribute. I can see a very good return (for your typical rental) going to MINN, with the conditional picking coming back if Gaborik can't play. That we the team has some protection if Gaborik can't play, and MINN gets a nice return, but not the jackpot if Gaborik was healthy & contributing.

I can also see a conditional pick going to MINN if Gaborik resigns with the team.

If you look at what Hossa got at last years deadline:
1) nice (but not "blue chip") prospect
2) late 1st round DP
3) 1 warm body - roster filler (assuming Dupuis & Christenson cancel out)

I think if a GM's desperate, that's a pretty good precedent, with some sort of protection going back to whomever gets Gaborik in the form a of a 1st round pick going back if MG can't play.

From BOS's POV - what do you think the return would be for Gaborik? The tough thing to me is that the team is already the best team in the EC, so Chia's not going to want to include a contributing asset. Would you do a Colbourne, Lashoff, 1st deal for Gabby's rights, which seems to be what you're suggesting in your post?

Last edited by Beukeboom Fan: 02-23-2009 at 05:11 PM.