HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tortorella Nw Head Coach of the NYR as per TSN

Old
02-23-2009, 02:23 PM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
Tortorella Nw Head Coach of the NYR as per TSN

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=268369&l...=topStory_main

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 02:23 PM
le_sean

vCash: 500
Well they should stop floating now.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 02:24 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

no more nhl on tsn quizz for tortorella

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 02:25 PM
Namso

i like tortorella. I think he's the perfect coach for the rangers.

Namso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 02:28 PM
Jigger77

It'll be good for a month or so until they turn on him.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 02:29 PM
Lucius

Team being lazy, not giving full effort.

Torts will fix that fast. Like many disciplinarian coaches, I wonder about his shelf life, but I think this should turn them around this year and grab a playoff spot.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 02:29 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund View Post
Larry Brooks vs JT watch it at 1.07 mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU8CJQiAycI

guess these guys will get some more face time together now, daily

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 02:32 PM
Marksman

This is bad news for Habs, cant count Rangers out now.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 02:34 PM
Judge Sauer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post
no more nhl on tsn quizz for tortorella
I liked him on those segments, seemed like they always tried to pick on him LOL

Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 02:34 PM
Mustafa*

The making of a myth:

• Summer 2008 - Torts must be the most hated coach in the NHL, both by players and fans, he gets fired and everybody, from Florida to Vancouver, is happy about it. Torts sign with TSN he will be a commentator for the upcoming season.

•Autumn 2008 - The personality and the views of Torts are realy liked by both the fans and the media, we get to know his wonderful personnality. Melrose (sorry) takes over Torts job, in a mess some called the wrost coach job ever done. Tampa's fans and observers alike are missing Torts, kind of like moujiks missing the Tsar in 1917. Everybody's loving Torts.

•Winter 2009 - Torts is named headcoach in New-York, everybody's happy till further notice.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 02:35 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
Larry Brooks vs JT watch it at 1.07 mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU8CJQiAycI

guess these guys will get some more face time together now, daily
This interest me for another reason too.

With Montreal battling with the Rangers for the playoffs, one team makes a coaching change and one doesn't. Who makes the playoffs and who doesn't. Both teams really underachieving. If Montreal misses and Rangers make it, you could look back to this day.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 02:36 PM
HotHabsFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namso View Post
i like tortorella. I think he's the perfect coach for the rangers.
i like Torts to, he doesnt take crap and doesnt accept floaters on his team.

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 02:38 PM
jcpenny

Rangers will make the playoffs. No more trap. I love this guy, what a coach.

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 02:38 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
The making of a myth:

• Summer 2008 - Torts must be the most hated coach in the NHL, both by players and fans, he gets fired and everybody, from Florida to Vancouver, is happy about it. Torts sign with TSN he will be a commentator for the upcoming season.

•Autumn 2008 - The personality and the views of Torts are realy liked by both the fans and the media, we get to know his wonderful personnality. Milbury takes over Torts job, in a mess some called the wrost coach job ever done. Tampa's fans and observers alike are missing Torts, kind of like moujiks missing the Tsar in 1917. Everybody's loving Torts.

•Winter 2009 - Torts is named headcoach in New-York, everybody's happy till further notice.
I don't think this is a myth. Fact was, Torts is a disciplinarian and they only have a short shelf life. When he got fired in Tampa, he was, if I am not mistaken, the second longest serving coach. Clearly he'd been there too long.

That doesn't make him a bad coach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post

With Montreal battling with the Rangers for the playoffs, one team makes a coaching change and one doesn't. Who makes the playoffs and who doesn't. Both teams really underachieving. If Montreal misses and Rangers make it, you could look back to this day.
One, it's not an either or.

Two, one team benched a star player for two games and one didn't.

You could say this about anything.

Old
02-23-2009, 02:39 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:

actually i like it . its exciting to be fighting with 5 other teams all within 2 or 3 point of each other. Its like living on the edge and it keeps it exciting going down the stretch run.

A refocused Kovalev and having Alex Tanguay back is probably more of an effect than them hiring Torts. IMHO

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 02:39 PM
Mustafa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
I don't think this is a myth. Fact was, Torts is a disciplinarian and they only have a short shelf life. When he got fired in Tampa, he was, if I am not mistaken, the second longest serving coach. Clearly he'd been there too long.

That doesn't make him a bad coach.
I like him, i just saw how things turned around fast and wanted to point it out.

But the facts are : He can be a real team killer, we all know how he treated the newcomers and how he overused Vinny and Marty, look at the 2007 playoffs.

Old
02-23-2009, 02:43 PM
la25ecoupe

Why is Carbo not fired?

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 02:43 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
One, it's not an either or.

Two, one team benched a star player for two games and one didn't.

You could say this about anything.
One. I never said it was either or. I said, "Who makes the playoffs and who doesn't" which means both could make it, neither could, or one or the either could. Maybe i wasn't clear enough.

Two, Kovy is not a star and a coaching change is slightly bigger than having a good player sat.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 02:44 PM
3TB3*

renney has almost identical record to carbonneau this year. habs and rangers each have 69 points with habs having game in hand.

carbonneau has a superior roster to what renney had. renney last 3 seasons had them in playoffs and twice to eastern semis. another vastly overated gm in new york who basically has done nothing there since arriving JUST LIKE Gainey here.

but difference here is carbo is gainey's friend, renny was not sather's friend.

3TB3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 02:51 PM
Lucius

Quote:
One. I never said it was either or. I said, "Who makes the playoffs and who doesn't" which means both could make it, neither could, or one or the either could. Maybe i wasn't clear enough.

Two, Kovy is not a star and a coaching change is slightly bigger than having a good player sat.
Thanks for your expertise, care to show me to your proof of that random assertion?

And if you don't think Kovy is a star, feel free to look at last season. He clearly is, whether or not you like him or he's been playing like it lately, the guy is a star player. It's one thing to have a hate on for a guy, it's another to deny reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
I like him, i just saw how things turned around fast and wanted to point it out.

But the facts are : He can be a real team killer, we all know how he treated the newcomers and how he overused Vinny and Marty, look at the 2007 playoffs.
True enough, but take a peek at the Rangers record. The only way it gets worse is if they lose EVERY game

...and while he ran them into the ground in 2007, he also ran them into a Cup. So who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3TB3 View Post
renney has almost identical record to carbonneau this year. habs and rangers each have 69 points with habs having game in hand.

carbonneau has a superior roster to what renney had. renney last 3 seasons had them in playoffs and twice to eastern semis. another vastly overated gm in new york who basically has done nothing there since arriving JUST LIKE Gainey here.

but difference here is carbo is gainey's friend, renny was not sather's friend.

Sather inherited a bubble playoff team and made them a bubble playoff team.

Gainey inherited a bubble playoff team, that usually missed, and made them into the top seeded East team last year... in a season most pundits had them out of the playoffs.

Old
02-23-2009, 02:52 PM
Mustafa*

Quote:
Thanks for your expertise, care to show me to your proof of that random assertion?

And if you don't think Kovy is a star, feel free to look at last season. He clearly is, whether or not you like him or he's been playing like it lately, the guy is a star player. It's one thing to have a hate on for a guy, it's another to deny reality.

True enough, but take a peek at the Rangers record. The only way it gets worse is if they lose EVERY game

...and while he ran them into the ground in 2007, he also ran them into a Cup. So who knows.
Ho yeah that cup... I'm happy to see him in New-York it'll be a perfect fit, too bad for the Habs.

Old
02-23-2009, 02:54 PM
Charlie Milles*
Uh... Go Canucks?

What does this mean for Sean Avery's comeback?

Charlie Milles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 02:55 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Eight View Post
What does this mean for Sean Avery's comeback?
They asked him on The Quiz a week ago whether he'd want Avery on his team... I am sure of it. I cannot remember what he said though... I think the answer was "NO!!"

Anyone remember for sure?

Old
02-23-2009, 03:01 PM
3TB3*

Quote:

Gainey inherited a bubble playoff team, that usually missed, and made them into the top seeded East team last year... in a season most pundits had them out of the playoffs.
renny won way more playoff games. as for last year:

1-penguins tanked last game
2- habs 1st place in east a complete aberration as they beat boston and philly 12 to zero during the season as both those teams were decimated by injuries the days they met. had habs just gone 6-6 against those 2 teams - they would have MISSED the playoffs OUTRIGHT!
3-And it was proved a complete aberration as in the final 8 games the habs played in last year's playoffs they were completely outclassed and outcoached by both those teams and went 5 and 7 and OUT!

3TB3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 03:07 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3TB3 View Post
renny won way more playoff games. as for last year:

1-penguins tanked last game
2- habs 1st place in east a complete aberration as they beat boston and philly 12 to zero during the season as both those teams were decimated by injuries the days they met. had habs just gone 6-6 against those 2 teams - they would have MISSED the playoffs OUTRIGHT!
3-And it was proved a complete aberration as in the final 8 games the habs played in last year's playoffs they were completely outclassed and outcoached by both those teams and went 5 and 7 and OUT!
1 -- So?

2 -- Right, the old "if they hadn't won games they won, they wouldn't have finished first argument." You do realize that's completely insane right? They won them, it doesn't matter against who and in what order.

3 -- Few teams get over the hump into the top tier and then go right into the Cup the first year.

Neither Gainey nor Carbo are perfect, in fact, I tend to think Carbo should be on his last legs, but your arguments against them need some work.