HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Pekka Rinne

Old
02-23-2009, 10:32 AM
jmwc95

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Zyuzin View Post
He has a decent first year and he is already the #2 goalie in the league???
2.23 GAA, .923 SV%, 5 SO

Is he the #2 goalie in the league? I don't know. But, if I were the Blues and looking for a young goaltender to build around when the Blues prospects have developed, Rinne would be my #2 choice after Steve Mason.

jmwc95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 10:33 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwc95 View Post
Last season was Huet's first season with more than 39 starts.
And anyone will tell you that the contract he got was flat-out ridiculous.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 10:36 AM
jmwc95

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
And anyone will tell you that the contract he got was flat-out ridiculous.
And anyone can tell you that some GM will give Rinne that same kind of money if he hits UFA after next season.

Old
02-23-2009, 10:44 AM
Predsrule

Quote:
And anyone can tell you that some GM will give Rinne that same kind of money if he hits UFA after next season.
did ellis get it did masion get it Lehtonen,Miller in his second contract?Ward never even got 3 mill after he won the cup for his team...Leclaire had same kinda stats last season as well... look what Conklin got for his stats last year? Niklas Backstrom, do i really find more examples of people who had good numbers and more proven and never got close to that 6 mill? as for your example of Huet you forget he put it up for a couple of years...

Predsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 10:47 AM
Predsrule

Quote:
2.23 GAA, .923 SV%, 5 SO

Is he the #2 goalie in the league? I don't know. But, if I were the Blues and looking for a young goaltender to build around when the Blues prospects have developed, Rinne would be my #2 choice after Steve Mason.
Ellis last year Gaa 2.34 Sv% .924 6SO yet he only got 1.75?

Old
02-23-2009, 11:42 AM
jmwc95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predsrule View Post
did ellis get it did masion get it Lehtonen,Miller in his second contract?Ward never even got 3 mill after he won the cup for his team...Leclaire had same kinda stats last season as well... look what Conklin got for his stats last year? Niklas Backstrom, do i really find more examples of people who had good numbers and more proven and never got close to that 6 mill? as for your example of Huet you forget he put it up for a couple of years...
Lehtonen never put up as good of numbers and was an RFA

Miller didn't get his money until he was approaching UFA.

Ward only got $3MM because he was an RFA.

Leclaire only got what he did because he was an RFA.

Backstrom was signed over from Europe without NHL experience.

Conklin was an over-30 backup, not a prospect.

Ellis was not a very highly touted prospect who was only a starter for 1/2 a season, he faltered during the playoffs, and he re-signed BEFORE he hit UFA. I guarantee he could have got more money had he signed with another team, but he wanted to stay with Nashville.

All your examples are not valid. Rinne will be a UFA after next season. Half the guys you mentioned were RFAs, and their team had control of them. Once a player hits UFA, his pricetag takes a major upswing because there are a lot more teams competing for his services.

Old
02-23-2009, 11:59 AM
Predsrule

Quote:
Lehtonen never put up as good of numbers and was an RFA

Miller didn't get his money until he was approaching UFA.

Ward only got $3MM because he was an RFA.

Leclaire only got what he did because he was an RFA.

Backstrom was signed over from Europe without NHL experience.

Conklin was an over-30 backup, not a prospect.

Ellis was not a very highly touted prospect who was only a starter for 1/2 a season, he faltered during the playoffs, and he re-signed BEFORE he hit UFA. I guarantee he could have got more money had he signed with another team, but he wanted to stay with Nashville.

All your examples are not valid. Rinne will be a UFA after next season. Half the guys you mentioned were RFAs, and their team had control of them. Once a player hits UFA, his pricetag takes a major upswing because there are a lot more teams competing for his services.
lol ull se when he get at most 4.5

Old
02-23-2009, 12:10 PM
frasnap

Don't sell Huet short. He got overpaid this last offseason, yes, but he still had the best save % of any goalie since the lockout.

You sound a lot like the angle his agent will take. The team will point to his inexperience as a pro; a year and a half does not a franchise goalie make (see: Jim Carey).

Either he'll sign a long-term deal at about $5 mill as a compromise contract assuming he gets marginally better or stays the same, or he'll sign a short-term deal and hope that his play justifies a larger one.

Nashville drafted and groomed him, and he's their best bet moving forward. Rarely do you find that the player doesn't sign with that team in that instance.

frasnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 12:11 PM
jmwc95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predsrule View Post
lol ull se when he get at most 4.5
If you extend him this offseason, you can get him for $4.5MM. But don't let him get to UFA, or he'll cost a lot more.

Old
02-23-2009, 12:16 PM
jmwc95

Quote:
Originally Posted by frasnap View Post
Nashville drafted and groomed him, and he's their best bet moving forward. Rarely do you find that the player doesn't sign with that team in that instance.
Normally I'd agree with you, but Nashville has a history of not ponying up to keep their key free agents.

Old
02-23-2009, 01:40 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Normally I'd agree with you, but Nashville has a history of not ponying up to keep their key free agents.
Part of that ponying up is because the sabotage of the prior owner, Craig Leipold. Poile would have kept Vokoun but the owner wanted a fire sale.

BigFatCat999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 03:02 PM
jmwc95

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Part of that ponying up is because the sabotage of the prior owner, Craig Leipold. Poile would have kept Vokoun but the owner wanted a fire sale.
We Blues fans are all too familiar with a crappy owner sabotaging the team he is trying to sell.