HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official we don't need Briere thread

Old
02-23-2009, 03:11 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by teegale View Post
This thread was probably not needed and has been discussed before but I'm bored out of my mind, and have drank about 8 cups of coffee in an hour.

Get Danny to waive his NTC, free up a ass load of cap. Get good goaltender and/or defensemen in return and win the stanley cup! We have enough offensive talent without him, most teams don't even stack up even without Briere. Come on, guys you know it's that simple
Awesome.

Looks like yer takin' megaheat for this but it seems to me if you can move Briere for a pretty darn good defenseman, you'd do that, right? Darn right you would.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 03:12 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Awesome.

Looks like yer takin' megaheat for this but it seems to me if you can move Briere for a pretty darn good defenseman, you'd do that, right? Darn right you would.
IF I could move Briere, I would. But since I cant, he's still valuable to the team.

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 03:13 PM
XS Chop

I'll admit, I didn't want Briere here when the UFA wars were on that summer, just didn't like him. Gave him a clean slate in my mind when he came, I actually like him a lot now. He definitely brings a skillset to this team we don't have without him and he plays with more heart than I gave him credit for. Could we use his salary cap hit more effectively at this point? Yes, no doubt. I'll still remember and have some loyalty to him for being one of the main reasons games became fun to watch again though, not the masochistic "why am I putting myself through this night after night" funfest of '06-'07.

XS Chop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 03:15 PM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 87
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilliam Shakesbeer View Post
Like, I'm sorry, if Thornton was out on the Sharks and they were still a MIDDLE OF THE PACK playoff team do you think there would be posts like "We don't need Thornton! Trade him!"

It's not like we're first in the conference by 15 points, we're only 3 points ahead of the 8th seed. The guy has played 9 games. He was a major reason why we made the Conference Finals last year. So,
SHUT
THE
UP.
I agree 100%. Its not like we are the Red Wings or something. We are still inconstant in scoring from game to game. IF we want to be a mediocre team than we dont need him. If we want a good team we need Briere. As the team is we are not one of the elite teams and i dont think we could win a cup. I think with Briere and a few twinks we could be.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 03:22 PM
Opus

Technically, we don't 'need' Briere.

Is he nice to have, sure he is. Bringing him back will be our trade deadline aquisition.

With Carter and Richards busting on the scene like gangbusters...Briere becomes expendable and his salary would be better used elsewhere.

Nobody is discounting that he gives he gives us three solid scoring lines...but his contract right now is a burden. I think we'd all rather have his cap hit in our pocket come this summer, and use it either chore up the defense or goaltending.

Having said that, he's got a NTC, and he's not going anywhere for the foreseeable future.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 03:24 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
You think we can get a good goalie AND a dman for Briere? Im just curious, who would you have in mind?
We wouldn't get a big return for Briere...but we could actually afford to acquire those other things if we were to trade Briere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStevensDotCom View Post
I guess people forgot the big goals he scored for this team down the stretch and in the playoffs last season.
People need to learn to accept he isnt the 6 foot 4 230 pound forward that hits everything in sight that everyone loves in this town.
He gets paid to score goals and be an offensive centerman.
Of course I am frustrated hes been hurt virtually all season, but when we get him back and healthy which I really believe will happen. we are going to have matchup nightmares with the lines we are going to be able to roll out with everyone healthy.
Except, as a Flyer, Briere has yet to prove he can win his matchup. Briere is the guy you WANT your best players out on the ice against, because you can take advantage of him.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 03:31 PM
teegale
Hartnell Down!

Quote:
Awesome.

Comin from someone with a randy jones avatar? You guys are just mad because if he was dealt you have a $200 Briere jersey collecting dust.

teegale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 03:33 PM
JSTAFF

These threads are just redundant and a waste of time. Briere isn't going to waive his NTC to go anywhere. Not to mention hes a top notch playoff performer, someone that we need.

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 03:45 PM
COMCASTMONEY
pay ya cable bills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post

Except, as a Flyer, Briere has yet to prove he can win his matchup. Briere is the guy you WANT your best players out on the ice against, because you can take advantage of him.

I was never even that big of a Briere fan, but you guys are just out of your minds. He's a ****ing PPG player. He does create matchup difficulties, especially on home ice, because we can throw the Carter and Richards lines to defend another team's top 2 lines and then put a premiere NHL talent out against a 3rd or 4th line.

COMCASTMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 03:54 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
He's another guy teams have to worry about when playing us. I hope he shows up and tears it up.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 04:04 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
FYI Who said Briere has the most playoff goals since the lockout? Briere has 20, Zetterberg has 25.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 04:08 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilliam Shakesbeer View Post

I was never even that big of a Briere fan, but you guys are just out of your minds. He's a ****ing PPG player. He does create matchup difficulties, especially on home ice, because we can throw the Carter and Richards lines to defend another team's top 2 lines and then put a premiere NHL talent out against a 3rd or 4th line.
True or false: At even strength the opponent has been more likely to score than the Flyers with Briere on the ice?

When you discover the factual nature of that question, then you can get back to throwing around claims that individuals are "out of [their] minds."

Old
02-23-2009, 04:15 PM
DickTony

Quote:
True or false: At even strength the opponent has been more likely to score than the Flyers with Briere on the ice?

When you discover the factual nature of that question, then you can get back to throwing around claims that individuals are "out of [their] minds."
I know it's tough to see when our top two centers are two of the best two way forwards in the league (phew...two), but not EVERY player is going to be top notch defensively. Sure, his contract sucks, but Briere is a playoff weapon, PERIOD, and a PPG player when healthy at that. Show me the team that will trade a Pronger/JBo/stud goaltender for him and I'll help you force Homer's finger to pull the trigger, but I think a lot of you are forgetting this team gets 4 or more goals scored on it on a nightly basis, and this is without Briere in the lineup. Doesn't this mean it might not hurt to have a guy who's realllllll good at scoring ****in goals?

DickTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 04:20 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonMTG View Post
I know it's tough to see when our top two centers are two of the best two way forwards in the league (phew...two), but not EVERY player is going to be top notch defensively. Sure, his contract sucks, but Briere is a playoff weapon, PERIOD, and a PPG player when healthy at that. Show me the team that will trade a Pronger/JBo/stud goaltender for him and I'll help you force Homer's finger to pull the trigger, but I think a lot of you are forgetting this team gets 4 or more goals scored on it on a nightly basis, and this is without Briere in the lineup. Doesn't this mean it might not hurt to have a guy who's realllllll good at scoring ****in goals?
Briere has been a minus player with the Flyers. He was a minus player last year...and picked up right where he left off when he came back. Yes, he scores points. However, the opposition scores 'em right back plus some when he's on the ice.

If he moves to wing can we mitigate this? Yes, quite possibly we can. However, I don't like the idea of trying to mitigate that with Giroux at the pivot...and I really don't like the idea of a Briere, Giroux line trying to play the body in the defensive zone.

This isn't a matter of being good offensively v. being good defensively. It is SIMPLE MATH. The other team scores more than the Flyers at even strength with Briere on the ice. He makes up for this by being a very effective PP player...but, quite frankly, we don't really need him on the PP. We're talking a VERY marginal upgrade on the PP with Briere, if at all.

So, please explain to me how you can guarantee Briere improves the club. You win hockey games by scoring more than the opposition...not less.

Old
02-23-2009, 04:24 PM
JSTAFF

Quote:

This isn't a matter of being good offensively v. being good defensively. It is SIMPLE MATH. The other team scores more than the Flyers at even strength with Briere on the ice. He makes up for this by being a very effective PP player...but, quite frankly, we don't really need him on the PP. We're talking a VERY marginal upgrade on the PP with Briere, if at all.
I disagree about the PP. Briere makes a huge difference on the PP with Richards being back on the point.

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 04:27 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Briere has been a minus player with the Flyers. He was a minus player last year...and picked up right where he left off when he came back. Yes, he scores points. However, the opposition scores 'em right back plus some when he's on the ice.

If he moves to wing can we mitigate this? Yes, quite possibly we can. However, I don't like the idea of trying to mitigate that with Giroux at the pivot...and I really don't like the idea of a Briere, Giroux line trying to play the body in the defensive zone.

So, please explain to me how you can guarantee Briere improves the club. You win hockey games by scoring more than the opposition...not less.
Sigh.. it dont matter if Briere is on the ice when people score...teams will still score with our awessommee soundly defensive and our star goaltenders. We already try to outscore teams cause we get tons of shots on us already, it doesnt matter if Briere is out there on not. We will still get 40 or so shots on us per game. Hopefully Briere will put up points which makes up for it. BRIERE WILL PUT POINTS UP. It doesnt matter if its even strengh or powerplay, he will put up points. He scores two goals, but he is on the ice for one or two gaols... so what. Defense, play defense, offense play offense..., dont blame Briere when our defense or goalies suck

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 04:28 PM
DickTony

Quote:
Originally Posted by stafuccijr View Post
I disagree about the PP. Briere makes a huge difference on the PP with Richards being back on the point.
I also disagree...I don't know if we've been watching the same team or not these past few weeks, but this power play absolutely misses Briere. I'm not arguing with you about even strength errors, but my point is simply that this team is stronger and more complete with Briere. Every team is going to have some minus players, it's just a fact. Regardless, I'd get used to having Briere around for awhile, because I don't think he'll be moved, even if we wanted to move him.

DickTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 04:30 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergIsOdin View Post
IF I could move Briere, I would. But since I cant, he's still valuable to the team.
VERY valuable, agreed. They should be a veritable dynamo when he returns. But I'd not dismiss out of hand the notion of dealing him without some guesstimate of what comes back.

Doesn't really matter I guess except for idle chatter - 'cause he likely ain't going nowhere.

Of course if the league changes its rules so that games are only played at even strenght then by all means dump him for a bag of pucks

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 04:33 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
VERY valuable, agreed. They should be a veritable dynamo when he returns. But I'd not dismiss out of hand the notion of dealing him without some guesstimate of what comes back.

Doesn't really matter I guess except for idle chatter - 'cause he likely ain't going nowhere.

Of course if the league changes its rules so that games are only played at even strenght then by all means dump him for a bag of pucks
We already are getting a bag of pucks for dumping Jones so dont worry

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 04:35 PM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

It doesn't matter if we need him or not, cause he is staying. But sure, continue to make threads like this and ***** about it. It really makes good use of your time.

FlyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 04:39 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStevensDotCom View Post
I guess people forgot the big goals he scored for this team down the stretch and in the playoffs last season.
People need to learn to accept he isnt the 6 foot 4 230 pound forward that hits everything in sight that everyone loves in this town.
He gets paid to score goals and be an offensive centerman.
Of course I am frustrated hes been hurt virtually all season, but when we get him back and healthy which I really believe will happen. we are going to have matchup nightmares with the lines we are going to be able to roll out with everyone healthy.
Excellente poste!!! Ok, as much as I love Eric Lindros.....How many cups did he win here???? How many cups have guys like Gretzky, Yzerman, Sakic, etc. won???? YOU DONT NEED TO BE A LINEBACKER.......SKILL IS IMPORTANT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Someone mentioned in the Post-Pens game thread he's been battling the flu.

I also agree. This thread is stupid. It's amazing how one of the players that turned the team around from being the worst team's in the league to being a top 4 team in a single season is horribly hated on even during injury. Yes we overpaid, and that was to prevent the team from falling apart anymore. They'll figure something out and how to work with him/get him back in the lineup, in Homer we trust.
Another excellente poste!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
WHERES MIKE!!! This deserves a mike post. I already debated more then I wanted to lately so Im giving this one to Mike, which he ussually likes to take the Briere thread ones... =)
If you are referring to me, I am in Germany for work, but still patrolling as much as possible between my presentations!!!

What can I say that hasnt been said 10000 times already.
1) The guy is a beast in the playoffs....
2) The way this team is currently constructed and plays, we certainly are not shutting anyone down, therefore, the more offense the better.
3) Richards, Briere, Carter on 3 different lines......Briere on the 3rd line.....ends up going up against the other team's 3rd best defensive line, most likely, very dangerous for the opposition.....If they decide to put better defenders on him, Richards or Carter will
4) The guy is clutch (I know Jester, there is no such thing...blah blah blah)

People need to get over it.....Unless Briere WANTS to be traded, he isnt going anywhere, its as simple as that. Whether you consider him necessary or not, he makes this team better.....Without him we dont get to the 3rd round last year. I dont care if Carter have come alive this year....Are we required to only have a certain amount of 30+ goal scorers on the team???

Everyone cried for Gomez and Drury instead of him, WHAT THE HELL HAVE THOSE GUYS DONE SO FAR???? FAIL

Briere was one of the top 3 reasons this team went from worst in the league to the conference finals.

We spent 10-15 years with muckers and grinders, etc. etc. This isnt the 70s anymore people, or even the 90s.....Skill wins.

Again, he was perfectly fine at even strength in Buffalo with a team that liked to attack.....the same the assface supporters here keep saying "Steven's system is to attack not play tight checking, blah blah blah"

We, if he was able to be fine at even strength there, at center, why cant he here???? You know why???

CAUSE THIS TEAM ISNT COACHED WELL AND DOESNT KNOW HOW TO PLAY AT EVEN STRENGTH.....that is why!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgupca View Post
Briere is lighting and exciting to watch. Unless you can land someone like Jay-bo or Kaberle or Pronger you don't trade him.

For the record i'd put him back on the top line with Richards and Gagne

lines of:

Gagne - Richards - Briere
Hartnell - Carter - Lupul
Upshall - Metro - Knuble
If you were able to make a swap of Briere for a star equivalent on defense (Like the post above says) and a replacement 3rd line center, the trade in and of itself might not be a bad idea in theory.....HOWEVER, that would also require the assface behind the bench learning how to coach defense. Since I dont see many trades in the NHL, a star dman for star forward, and the fact that he HAS A NO MOVEMENT CLAUSE.....Keep Briere.

Last edited by mikedifr: 02-23-2009 at 04:44 PM.
mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 04:39 PM
Mike Richards 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgupca View Post
Briere is lighting and exciting to watch. Unless you can land someone like Jay-bo or Kaberle or Pronger you don't trade him.

For the record i'd put him back on the top line with Richards and Gagne

lines of:

Gagne - Richards - Briere
Hartnell - Carter - Lupul
Upshall - Metro - Knuble

So then we sending our best forward the last hand full of games in Giroux back to the AHL?? Put Briere between Upshall and Giroux

Mike Richards 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 04:43 PM
rayearth

Quote:
That's kind of unfair. 6 of those games were the first 6 of the year where the entire team played like ass on skates and went 0-3-3. Briere had 6 points in those games and yes, was a -3. 3 of those points were on the PP as well which aren't going to count toward his +/-. Even Richards was a -1 in those games with 6 points.

rayearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 04:45 PM
teegale
Hartnell Down!

I agree with pretty much everything Jester has said. Briere is way overhyped around here. You'd think he was Jesus Christ in the flesh if you went to the stadium and saw the sheer amount of Briere jerseys. I think that he is a valuable asset to most NHL teams, just not this one and is very expendable.

teegale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 04:47 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Richards 18 View Post
So then we sending our best forward the last hand full of games in Giroux back to the AHL?? Put Briere between Upshall and Giroux
I agree with that....I want to see that line.....speed to kill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayearth View Post
That's kind of unfair. 6 of those games were the first 6 of the year where the entire team played like ass on skates and went 0-3-3. Briere had 6 points in those games and yes, was a -3. 3 of those points were on the PP as well which aren't going to count toward his +/-. Even Richards was a -1 in those games with 6 points.
Its extremely unfair, but that is what happens when people have no clue what they are talking about.

There are several posters on here that make some good points of why the notion of moving him should be explored, however, 1) NO MOVEMENT CLAUSE and 2) If Homer/Stevens have half a brain, there are other way to get around the cap issues this year and next. I think it is then that Briere HAS to be moved, when you need to re-sign Carter and Gagne.

Going to bed guys.....be glad to chat more about this tomorrow

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote