HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Toronto Maple Leaf Rebuild..

Old
02-23-2009, 03:07 PM
Patrick96

vCash: 500
Is it an overstatement to suggest Columbus & T.O. could make good trading partners in a deal including Blake. After all Blake and Peca are best of friends, it's one of the reasons (aside from money) he decided to come to Toronto. I'm just not sure about Columbus' cap situation and if they can fit him on a line with Peca while juggling the other lines. Does anyone have any input?

Patrick96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 03:09 PM
Nikita Filatov*

Send a message via AIM to Nikita Filatov*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick96 View Post
Is it an overstatement to suggest Columbus & T.O. could make good trading partners in a deal including Blake. After all Blake and Peca are best of friends, it's one of the reasons (aside from money) he decided to come to Toronto. I'm just not sure about Columbus' cap situation and if they can fit him on a line with Peca while juggling the other lines. Does anyone have any input?
A lot of teams can fit Blake in.... But I doubt they want to. I'm a big fan of his, but he's a puck-hog and his contract is ugly.

Nikita Filatov* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 03:14 PM
Jerkini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikita Filatov View Post
No one wants Kaberle. His huge concussion history (according to some) means his value is nothing more than Radek Bonk, who may have more value because he's never had a concussion.
Straight to ignore you go.

Jerkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 03:16 PM
Nikita Filatov*

Send a message via AIM to Nikita Filatov*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
Straight to ignore you go.
Darn. Plenty of other fish in the sea, I suppose.

Nikita Filatov* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 03:20 PM
Patrick96

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't his contract one that depreciates over time..
If so the numbers would like something this:
Year 1:5$mill
Year 2:4.5$ mill
Year 3:4$ mill
Year 4:3.5$ mill
year 5:3$ mill
..totalling 20$ mill over 5 years. If that offers any incentive to any team interested in him haha

Old
02-23-2009, 03:32 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
I appreaciate your input and have realized that my proposals may have been brash in the smallest sense of the word but can you blame me, after all it is apparent that I am a leaf fan and obviously a lil' jealous of the young talent other teams possess.haha
You're welcome to jump on our bandwagon anytime.

Quote:
Honestly, the way Peca is playing right now, it's far more likely that he'd leave here to join Blake rather than the other way around.

The cap situation is such that it can't happen. I linked to it in that last reply - the short version is that in '10-11 and '11-12 we have to resign most of our core, including a lot of those young talents. So we need to go easy on cap space going forward. Kubina is fine because his contract expires before then (ditto Modin, who's arguably our one remaining albatross contract), but Blake isn't.

Blake *might* make sense for one of those teams that has cap floor issues, but those tend to only become apparent around the offseason anyways. And Columbus isn't one of 'em. (There is an internal budget, but 1) it's not as low as that of, say, Nashville, and 2) it can be exceeded so long as Howson checks with ownership first. Honestly, there's times I suspect it was put in less to control costs and more to keep MacLean from going crazy. )

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 04:38 PM
P U L L H A R D

vCash: 420
Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't his contract one that depreciates over time..
If so the numbers would like something this:
Year 1:5$mill
Year 2:4.5$ mill
Year 3:4$ mill
Year 4:3.5$ mill
year 5:3$ mill
..totalling 20$ mill over 5 years. If that offers any incentive to any team interested in him haha
why would this matter?

P U L L H A R D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 04:41 PM
grabo84

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanatic19 View Post
why would this matter?
If you have a team that has a self-imposed cap, and doesn't spend to the cap limit, this means they only pay his real-dollars contract, regardless of cap hit.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 04:49 PM
Patrick96

Quote:
why would this matter?
Your so cynical, you know that?

Old
02-23-2009, 04:55 PM
P U L L H A R D

grabo - good point, never thought about it like that.

patrick - can't tell if you're serious or not, i was under the impression you didn't understand how cap hits work or something

Old
02-23-2009, 05:10 PM
Patrick96

Quote:
patrick - can't tell if you're serious or not, i was under the impression you didn't understand how cap hits work or something
Your right there's no use arguing because I was being semi-sarcastic which is why I included the "" at the end of my comment. I really am a "likeable" guy, trust me. hehe

Old
02-23-2009, 05:13 PM
P U L L H A R D

Quote:
Your right there's no use arguing because I was being semi-sarcastic which is why I included the "" at the end of my comment. I really am a "likeable" guy, trust me. hehe
haha, yeah, i'd like to think i am too