HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

NHL conditioning program

Old
02-23-2009, 03:12 PM
koh19

vCash: 500
NHL conditioning program

Does anyone have or know where I can get one? Even if it's not NHL (AHL, ECHL,....) it's ok.
Just wanna get a really good program for next season to be in top shape! I know they're not easy to find (btw I tried for a few hours to get my hands on one....no luck) but I'm sure some of you know where to get one. I'm aware lots of players train individually or in little groups during summer but I'm sure there's something some of them do that's in common.

thanks

koh19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 03:32 PM
luciousharris

Send a message via AIM to luciousharris Send a message via MSN to luciousharris
http://www.betterhockey.com/
http://www.twistconditioning.com/tra...y-training.asp

Maybe I should have elaborated a little more on the links that I sent. If you were to contact Twist conditioning they could lead you in the right direction as far as a program specificaly for you. But the oter posts are correct, if you arent on an actual team then it might be impossible to get an actual program. Even though many years ago an old coach of myne gave me a program designed by Roger Neilson. Maybe you should ask on of your old coaches. That might have some connects and get there hands on one.

Last edited by luciousharris: 02-23-2009 at 06:56 PM.
luciousharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 04:48 PM
koh19

Thanks

Anything else? a REAL program?

koh19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 05:18 PM
Mnhockeyplayer

It might be just private but I know pro's have came here to work out.
http://www.velocityhockeycenter.com/

Kevin Ziegle is one of the best work out instructors
http://velocityhockeycenter.com/dryl...ors.html#kevin

He trains the USHL Stampedee and tampa bay lightning

Mnhockeyplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 05:19 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by koh19 View Post
Thanks

Anything else? a REAL program?
No. NHL teams have their own trainers who work on tailoring workouts to each player. There's no set formula.

There are a lot of stationary bikes and such, a lot of balance training and such. Some players need to add bulk, so they get routines to help them bulk up.

In the offseason, players often pick out a trainer or athletic training company and train with them.

If you want to get as close to what pro players do as you can, find a personal trainer familiar with hockey. Preset routines are really only for mass market consumption- anybody serious about training has an individualized routine.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 05:23 PM
Mnhockeyplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
No. NHL teams have their own trainers who work on tailoring workouts to each player. There's no set formula.

There are a lot of stationary bikes and such, a lot of balance training and such. Some players need to add bulk, so they get routines to help them bulk up.

In the offseason, players often pick out a trainer or athletic training company and train with them.

If you want to get as close to what pro players do as you can, find a personal trainer familiar with hockey. Preset routines are really only for mass market consumption- anybody serious about training has an individualized routine.

Yes unless if you are not a pro and do not know a NHL trainer personaly; it will be hard to find a real trainer.I have worked out with a NHL trainer before but I knew him.

Mnhockeyplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 11:41 PM
Jerome

On the net, you can find the Jarome Iginla program's, Marty St-Louis legs program's too and what Chris Chelios do in off-season... I don't remember all of them but I can find them easily... Maybe tomorrow I'll post them if I had time.

Jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 01:39 AM
chappie
lemon snow!

If you want to think about what to be working on, here are the four key things: Legs, CORE, (being the most important), forearm and wrists. to snap a shot, the forearm and wrists are key, but to get any kind of power behind it, you need a core that is not only strong, but flexible, and in the end all movement will flow through it. The legs, when strong, give better balance, therefore producing a better shot. Also, having a finely tuned core and completely worked legs will give you such an advantage over the average player. Your skating will be better, crisper, and your strides will be fuller and last longer.

No matter what you do, make sure to STRETCH! Being lose is just as important as being properly fit. John Daily may be the fattest ass on the PGA tour, but he can smack the hell out of the ball because he has great form, and his core is more flexible then a wet noodle.

Hopefully that helps guide you in some way to helping you keep yourself in proper shape.

chappie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 01:43 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Best hockey conditioning program for non pros is to probably play 4 or 5x a week. If you survive the first few weeks, you'll be set.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 12:14 PM
Jerome

That's not exactly the 97-98 redwings off-season training, it's an less intensive training for younger person. He seems to be ok, since nothing to call your mom's

I just hate one exercice... The one named "The torso arms swings"... Thanks for the post.

Jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 12:28 PM
zylog

Here's a thread from a training forum where a trainer discusses his strategies for training hockey players:

http://wgfforum.llsint.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=79

He's worked with a few hockey players, most notably Brian Gionta.

zylog is offline   Reply With Quote