HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Is it acceptable for Pro athletes to party?

Old
02-23-2009, 05:22 PM
tiredman

vCash: 500
Party ? Yes it's acceptable.

What's not though is drinking too much (or taking drugs) and not being fully in shape when you present yourself at practices or games. I don't care if they drink a couple of beers after a game as long as it's not to the point it could affect your performances.

These guys are paid millions of dollars to do their job. There's no way I would accept these kind of situations If I was the guy who owned the team.

tiredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 05:24 PM
suprez

Yes

But
I wonder if Phelps drank beer and stayed in a bar for 1 week before the olympic.
No .. He trained and took care of his health . That what a Pro hockey player should do during the season .

During a heavy schedules that it .

You just don't wake up in your vomit before a match .

Just ask yourself.Would you pay a lawyer 500.00 buck an hours if he can't do his job correctly and partyed the entire night before?
Well those guy are paid 50,000 buck for 20 min of performance.I hope they can do it.

suprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 05:29 PM
LesCanadiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsFan60 View Post
omg, i never ever commented on these posts but this is getting soo annoying. The guys partyed all last year and got into the playoffs. Partying has nothing to do with it. I blame the media.. Serously
Thing is...no one here knows the details and we're all only speculating. Since we are...IF they are doing cocaine....believe me, the effects of that drug get worse and worse as time goes on. At the beginning it may not affect you much...but if you get addicted....you need more and there is no end to it. You're up all night doing line after line...you watch the sun rise and are still craving more. Your body and your mind take a beating...after a while...everything in your life is affected. Your health, endurance, relationships, work etc etc...and if you can't afford it...then you have to find some way to get it.

If it was just liquor...it's not quite as bad...but everyone out there that has done or knows someone that has done cocaine, know that this drug is a completely different animal. It can ruin people at an alarmingly blazing speed. It, along with crack and meth are very, very dangerous...and any athlete (or anyone for that matter) making these drugs the focus of their lives....is an implosion waiting to happen. So IF these guys are wrapped up in this stuff...they should be taken away from the team and put in rehab. This is serious stuff, is illegal (and should be) and it becomes everyone's business.

LesCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 05:40 PM
Lafontaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsFan60 View Post
omg, i never ever commented on these posts but this is getting soo annoying. The guys partyed all last year and got into the playoffs. Partying has nothing to do with it. I blame the media.. Serously
I'm really sorry for being an a** about this, but this is the kind of moronic position that I disagree with. It is an out right fact that drinking, drugs and lack of rest negatively effects performance - whether it causes lackluster performance in practice, distraction or a decrease in physical ability during games. It is debatable what amount would be acceptable and likely varies from person to person, but I would suggest that at a minimum, heavily drinking even once every week or so on a consistent basis would in some way have an impact.

I probably made a mistake at the beginning of this thread by simply asking whether or not it is acceptable, as if it was a moral question. Of course they can in that sense - they can do whatever the hell they want. The real question is, should an organization accept it, and is it the business of management to intervene under the assumption that many young players (just like many posters here apparently) are naive enough to think that their actions aren't reflected in their play.

I don't give a damn if we made the play-offs last year, or even if we had won the cup. The point is, as fans, we are invested in the team and when a team plays below their ability for any reason we should take issue!!!

Lafontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 05:48 PM
Frank Drebin

vCash: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafontaine View Post
I'm really sorry for being an a** about this, but this is the kind of moronic position that I disagree with. It is an out right fact that drinking, drugs and lack of rest negatively effects performance - whether it causes lackluster performance in practice, distraction or a decrease in physical ability during games. It is debatable what amount would be acceptable and likely varies from person to person, but I would suggest that at a minimum, heavily drinking even once every week or so on a consistent basis would in some way have an impact.

I probably made a mistake at the beginning of this thread by simply asking whether or not it is acceptable, as if it was a moral question. Of course they can in that sense - they can do whatever the hell they want. The real question is, should an organization accept it, and is it the business of management to intervene under the assumption that many young players (just like many posters here apparently) are naive enough to think that their actions aren't reflected in their play.

I don't give a damn if we made the play-offs last year, or even if we had won the cup. The point is, as fans, we are invested in the team and when a team plays below their ability for any reason we should take issue!!!
I find HF the worst forum on the internet to use logic and common sense on. I don't know if it's the age of the posters or what.

Frank Drebin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 05:55 PM
Habs

I blame the drinking on Menudo breaking up.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 06:04 PM
giovannicanella

It depends...all things considered...professionalism...is VERY subjective.

I reckon any GM would frown upon anything in the excess, but then again..the definition of excess...is also...very subjective...

"Party" is a broad term...but it is usually equated with fun and fun is usually equated with alcohol, sadly many people do not have the virtue to moderate their vices...

Alcohol and mental health issues stagnate and are detrimental to a lot of professional athletes careers and unfortunately it is more prevalent than a lot of people think.

giovannicanella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 06:10 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

We work to live, they most definitely live to work. If it wasn't these guys dreams as kids to play in the NHL, they wouldn't be in the NHL. Most players last in the NHL more on work ethic rather than skill. Partying like a rock star is a slap in the face to the guys that are busting their ass to play 10 minutes a night.

Having said that, who am I to judge whether or not they're taking it overboard? That task is left to management. I trust our management so I am not really bothered by this subject.

HankyZetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 06:14 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by giovannicanella View Post
It depends...all things considered...professionalism...is VERY subjective.

I reckon any GM would frown upon anything in the excess, but then again..the definition of excess...is also...very subjective...

"Party" is a broad term...but it is usually equated with fun and fun is usually equated with alcohol, sadly many people do not have the virtue to moderate their vices...

Alcohol and mental health issues stagnate and are detrimental to a lot of professional athletes careers and unfortunately it is more prevalent than a lot of people think.
Admit you are a lawyer, just admit it.

Old
02-23-2009, 06:21 PM
giovannicanella

Quote:
Admit you are a lawyer, just admit it.
LoL, Thanks but with a GPA hovering around 2.2

I have a long way to go...

giovannicanella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 08:49 PM
ktownhab

If "partying" ever became an issue within any professional organization i have faith those in charge would do something about it.

I for one would be out on the town every night with the boys, assuming of course there wasn't a game the next day. Besides celebrating being awesome, there is a social aspect to it as anyone who has actually played hockey knows. Simply comes down to being respectful; to yourself, your teammates, those who pay you millions of dollars to play a game and most importantly your fans! Plus it helps to refrain from doing anything potentially incriminating in front of strangers, but don't all professionals know that? Not everyone, in fact few and far between, have the bar "discipline" of Sid the Kid (maybe that's why he is the best?)

Do you think Wayne-O never got into a few things with Grant, the Moose and the rest of the Boys on the Bus? give your head a shake.

would be enlightening to hear the response from "old time" hockey players on this subject. Pass me an Ex and a whiskey please!

ktownhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 09:17 PM
giovanni

I think that the players should have fun like we do, but they must be able to control as to what they do and how often they do it. they must remeber that they play a sport for a living and that they must be focus and fit at all time. so in the end, some player should spend less time having fun and more time concenttrion on the task at hand.( win hockey games)

giovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 09:27 PM
DeVries*

Off course they can. But should they? They need to know how lucky they are playing the game they love, and having so much attention, love and money. They should be thankful for being born with talents, and know that they worked hard to get there.

How many people would literally kill to have the chance to be in their pants? I don't care how young some players are. It's no reason to disrespect your sport and your fans by partying to much and under perform in front of all. Yes you can party. But not before games. Not when it counts. Not when your coach, boss, friends, family, fans count on you.

Their are paid and loved to perform. They can by whatever they wants, anytime they wants. They can have almost every girl they wants. But that's not the point. They truly got to know when to party and when to perform.

If they don't understand that and just can't control themselves when they need to be in top shapes, they are idiots and disrespectful ****** bags who don't deserve all they got.

DeVries* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 10:30 PM
AT27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viau View Post
How many people would literally kill to have the chance to be in their pants? I don't care how young some players are. It's no reason to disrespect your sport and your fans by partying to much and under perform in front of all. Yes you can party. But not before games. Not when it counts. Not when your coach, boss, friends, family, fans count on you.

Exactly!!! theses guys have a responsablity that comes with their jobs... They are definalty allowed, and should take time to party. But not before games, not when it's important. It's the same for anybody basically, I love to go out, have fun have a few beers, if i have a big day at work the next day, I'll choose to stay calm or stay home. It's life! Theses guys just have a lot more riding on their choices than us "normal" people. It is important for us fans to acknowledge that they are young, normal adults, that they have temptations like us, that they want to have fun like us, try new things, experiment... Only they have to do it with the world watching and judging. They have to realise that they have a responsablity,and that, like I said the entire montreal fan base is watching them, and depending on them.They have to realise that they are disrespecting the fans, their team, and the sport itself if they party too much and can't play well. I guess timing and moderation would be the best words to use here... If they can do it with proper timing and moderation, hell have fun!! If they can't.... that's a different story...

AT27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 10:51 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 50
What the NHLPA should look into (before the teams figure it out and beat them to it) is coming up with a professional code of conduct policy. They can outline what it means to be a professional hockey player and what is and is not acceptable behaviour on and off the ice. Teachers have them, doctors, lawyers, etc. It's used as a means for associations to police themslves and maintain the honour and dignity of the profession they belong to.

If they don't do it, teams will start including clauses in contracts specifically dealing with concerns like Montreal (and other teams too, let's not be naive about it) seem to be facing presently. For example, contracts may include the number of alcoholic beverages a player may consume on a weekly basis. It may include "curfew" times. Strict no smoking policies. Teams need to protect their investments as best they can and if they can include "out" clauses or fines for inappropriate behaviour, they will.

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 11:18 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 50
they are human like any other person in the world...yes, its acceptable, just because they are pro's does not mean they cant have a life away from their respective sport.

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 11:20 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Is it acceptable for Pro athletes to party?
I don't know... is is acceptable for Pro athletes to be human and have a life?

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 12:05 AM
habfaninvictoria

Just try and stop them. During the playoffs is one thing, teams usually have curfews. If they tried during the regular season it would be mayhem. I haven't lived in Mtl for 13 years but I'm sure it's the same as when I was there. On game night you could usually find players from both teams on select bars on Crescent St. The puck bunnies are everywhere, and these are young guys with lotso cash and few morals.

I worked as a doorman at Gert's (McGill's Campus bar), and out of nowhere Russ Courtnall came in with Lyle Odelein. I obviously recognized them but gave them their space. After a while Russ comes up and asks what the place is like during the week. I ask why, and basically, he's on a scouting mission for some teammates. They were looking for a place where they could hang, play pool and have a few pints while looking at some eye candy, and maybe escape the normal puck bunnies, and reporters that also know the normal bars they party in. For about 2 months after that on non game nights we'd see anywhere from 3-5 habs in the bar. (Gilchrest, Odelein, Courtnall, Cassells and one other (can't remember)). Basically they minded their own business, but.... if today's technology had existed then I can remember a couple things that could have gone sideways. There was a brawl one night they were there and we never saw them again (they weren't involved), I guess they wanted to avoid any possibility of negative press.

Most players are either single or away from their families. It's not an excuse but they can't be expected to be hermits 24/7. Alcohol and partying are part of sport culture. Where the Kosty's have gone wrong is who they choose to hang with. All workplaces have cliques. Courtnall and Co. had their thing just like Corson and Co did theirs they just chose to be more discreet.

Price may need to be handled much the same way Crosby was. Crosby moved in with Lemieux and I'm sure Mario helped him avoid some of the traps Price has fallen into. Maybe he should move in with Koivu, that'll slow him up.

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 12:19 AM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafontaine View Post
Straight forward question. I know that most of this board has a "what's the big deal" attitude about this, but the simple physical facts would tell you that a player who is running his body down 3 or 4 nights a week with drugs and alchohol CAN NOT perform to the same standard they would if they were living a healthier lifestyle.
What are the 'simple physical facts' that you speak of?

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 12:50 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
What are the 'simple physical facts' that you speak of?
I sing Karaoke better after a few beer and a couple Crown and Coke, thats all I know. Not sure if that counts as performance enhancing or not.

Old
02-24-2009, 05:24 AM
dcyhabs

Only if it does not impact their performance, like anyone else. No one would be fired from work for partying, but people get fired for missing work or coming in hung over and screwing up.

dcyhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 06:42 AM
RushDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesCanadiens View Post
Yes it is. They're public figures....in essence, they are owned by the fans through the NHL and the Canadiens. So it is our business if we subsidize their paycheck of which they are expected to earn by doing their part, which is being professional athletes not professional cokeheads.

I'm in no way saying these guys should be saints and not go out and party it up...but IF they're boozing it up and/or coking it up as a lifestyle...they should be suspended or retire just like just Ricky Williams and let someone fill their skates that is actually serious about their profession and is responsible enough to feel an obligation to the team, fans and the NHL to choose focusing more energy on hockey rather than partying.

Btw, doing cocaine is illegal...so it's all of societies business. It's time for some serious drug testing in the NHL.

1st positive test = 2 week suspension.
2nd positive test = year suspension
3rd positive test = out for life.

I'm sorry, but nothing pisses me off more .then to think that these clowns may had been partying their butts off during the playoffs last year...pathetic. Anyone OK with that is an idiot.
All of these statements make no sense. First of all, we don't own the players or the brand they work for. The Habs are not ours by right just because you are a fan anymore than we own Pepsi because we buy that brand of soda. If you choose to pay for gear and attend games and consider yourself a fan you do so willingly and freely not because you are binding anybody in the organization to your sense of morals.

Why are you talking about cocaine? We are talking about whether it si OK for the guys to go out and party not do illegal drugs. It is no more OK for them to do this than for you do it.

You should really calm down if you get that worked up about the possibility of the players having partied during the playoffs. Why get that angry because they MAY have partied?

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 08:30 AM
neofury*

Of course it's OK so long as it isn't effecting their game.

If you see your on ice performance is lacking as of late, the last thing as a pro athlete that should be on your mind is partying, you should be working on your game.

Personally I couldn't care less if said athlete comes to the game piss drunk if he were a Lemieux caliber guy and would have 3 goals and 1 assist a game LOL. To me it isn't about the drinking, partying and what not, it's about the way they play.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 08:39 AM
Seguins Dragon*

Look, these guys have to keep it together from October to April at LEAST if lucky till June...

Unless you have 3+ days off in a row...NO!!! not a chance these guys should be allowed to party...

You have the off season to party, during the season however, you just can't do it.... you will get a bad rep for 1, for 2 you will not be at your top performance which may cause losses and 3, there are clauses in contracts to prevent people water skiiing, snow mobiling etc...why not partying..

I think I read somewhere that NJ has a "no drinking" policy, not even a glass of wine at dinner (unless there is an exemption given).... but than again, thats crazy old Lou Amereilo for you

Seguins Dragon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 08:49 AM
Crystal Met

party yes
drinking all night and go straight to the practice the day of a game; no.

your paid millions to play a sport a couple months a year. just be in shape during this time and get ****ed up all summer long if you want. like i said ok during the season as long as you can recover for the game. its true that price reflexe's seemed a little off lately (hes coming back from an injury butt still)

like everybody said: if they win they can sniff all the cocaine they want

Crystal Met is offline   Reply With Quote