HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Question regarding high end skates

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-21-2009, 04:08 PM
  #1
SteelCitySaviour
Registered User
 
SteelCitySaviour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 945
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SteelCitySaviour
Question regarding high end skates

Hey guys, I'm seriously considering getting a pair of one 95 bauer skates. I tried on a few different pairs, and they were by far the most comfortable. They have a pretty hefty price tag though.

Right now I'm wearing an old pair of Supremes- i think they're something like 6700s or something like that. I'm a fairly good skater right now- good top end speed, etc, but not a world beater. I was wondering how much of an impact upgrading to the one 95s will have.

I know that the pitch of the skate is fairly high, and that the lightspeed 2.0 runners have extremely long blades. Will I eventually notice a difference in skating speed, or is the biggest difference between my old skates and the new ones just in comfort?

SteelCitySaviour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 04:14 AM
  #2
iceman_88888888
Registered User
 
iceman_88888888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 218
vCash: 500
comfort, protection, and weight are easily the most noticeable. the next is how stiff the boot is. it just allows your stride to be more efficient. very nice skates.

iceman_88888888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 09:32 AM
  #3
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Right Behind Me!
Posts: 10,444
vCash: 500
Don't worry about a skating being too stiff for you, that's a bit of nonsense. You'll adjust to them within a few weeks. Everything else is relative. The top end skate will last by far the longest, but some people like to replace their skates every year or so...

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 02:53 PM
  #4
Gino 14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 812
vCash: 500
If you're changing from Supremes with the Tuuk chassis to the Lightspeed 2.0, the biggest thing you'll notice is the change in balance and feel of the skate from the different blade geometry. I have an older pair of Supremes and I had the pro where I go change out my chassis and put on the Lightspeed chassis and have never regreted it, it gives me better control, makes me feel like I stick to the ice better when I play. As far as the boot, no reason to change it out for me.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 07:42 PM
  #5
luciousharris
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Brentwood,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 112
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to luciousharris Send a message via MSN to luciousharris
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaWrista View Post
Don't worry about a skating being too stiff for you, that's a bit of nonsense. You'll adjust to them within a few weeks. Everything else is relative. The top end skate will last by far the longest, but some people like to replace their skates every year or so...

I beg to differ about the skate stiffnes. If the skates are to stiff you will not got used to them. I remember not to long ago players were compaining about a pair of teh Supremes that were too stiff. Again if the skates are too stiff you will not get used to them. End of story.

luciousharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 08:14 PM
  #6
CaptBrannigan
Registered User
 
CaptBrannigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Tampa
Country: United States
Posts: 2,881
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCitySaviour View Post
Hey guys, I'm seriously considering getting a pair of one 95 bauer skates. I tried on a few different pairs, and they were by far the most comfortable. They have a pretty hefty price tag though.

Right now I'm wearing an old pair of Supremes- i think they're something like 6700s or something like that. I'm a fairly good skater right now- good top end speed, etc, but not a world beater. I was wondering how much of an impact upgrading to the one 95s will have.

I know that the pitch of the skate is fairly high, and that the lightspeed 2.0 runners have extremely long blades. Will I eventually notice a difference in skating speed, or is the biggest difference between my old skates and the new ones just in comfort?
The original lightspeed power runners were even longer, to the point that it was a liability because they would break.

The original lightspeeds, lightspeed 2's, and lightspeed power 2.1's should all be interchangeable.

CaptBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 08:29 PM
  #7
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!
 
adaminnj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 675
vCash: 2466
Quote:
Originally Posted by major league View Post
I beg to differ about the skate stiffnes. If the skates are to stiff you will not got used to them. I remember not to long ago players were compaining about a pair of teh Supremes that were too stiff. Again if the skates are too stiff you will not get used to them. End of story.
I beg to differ.

the stiffer the skate the better. and then you will adjust the way you tie them and they will brake in.

I skate in pro stock Vapor XXX (SUPPER STIFF BOOT) and I'm not sure I'll ever be willing to skate in anything less, ever again. The stiffer boot almost automates skating.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 08:51 PM
  #8
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!
 
adaminnj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 675
vCash: 2466
Quote:
Originally Posted by twi View Post
The original lightspeed power runners were even longer, to the point that it was a liability because they would break.

The original lightspeeds, lightspeed 2's, and lightspeed power 2.1's should all be interchangeable.
Lightspeeds have two holder nuts, Lightspeed 2s have a hook to hold the front and just one nut at the heal to hold the blade. I have not seen the LS power 2.1s if the mounting suystem is the same as any of them I'll bet its more like the LS2 than the LS.

http://www.hockeygiant.com/bauls2ssrunjr.html

The steel is not interchangeable different size skates take different size steel my 9.25 EE vapor 30s use a 288 steel but the size 9 vapor 30 with the same LS2 will take a smaller blade.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 08:59 PM
  #9
luciousharris
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Brentwood,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 112
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to luciousharris Send a message via MSN to luciousharris
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaminnj View Post
I beg to differ.

the stiffer the skate the better. and then you will adjust the way you tie them and they will brake in.

I skate in pro stock Vapor XXX (SUPPER STIFF BOOT) and I'm not sure I'll ever be willing to skate in anything less, ever again. The stiffer boot almost automates skating.
No Way Jose. As I stated in another post. I used to love the Graf 705's. Awesome skates. When my old pair wore out, after about ten years. I bought another pair of 705. I am about to throw them in the trash. If I could get a bag of pucks for them I will make the trade. They are terrible. They are no longer made out of leather. The boots after a year are still too stiff. What I mean is,normally after a game if you were to squeeze the skates they would be a little soft. Not with the new Graf's When you squeese them they are as hard as a rock. Zero give. The old graf's were stiff,but not that stiff. So according to my expierience, stiffness has allot to do with it.I guess to each his own.
Also if you think about it. Stiffness in everyhing is going to make a difference. If you like a 80 flex in a stick and switch to a 120 are you going to tell me that the 120 isn't going to be to stiff. I think it would be.

luciousharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 09:22 PM
  #10
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!
 
adaminnj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 675
vCash: 2466
Quote:
Originally Posted by major league View Post
No Way Jose. As I stated in another post. I used to love the Graf 705's. Awesome skates. When my old pair wore out, after about ten years. I bought another pair of 705. I am about to throw them in the trash. If I could get a bag of pucks for them I will make the trade. They are terrible. They are no longer made out of leather. The boots after a year are still too stiff. What I mean is,normally after a game if you were to squeeze the skates they would be a little soft. Not with the new Graf's When you squeese them they are as hard as a rock. Zero give. The old graf's were stiff,but not that stiff. So according to my expierience, stiffness has allot to do with it.I guess to each his own.
Also if you think about it. Stiffness in everyhing is going to make a difference. If you like a 80 flex in a stick and switch to a 120 are you going to tell me that the 120 isn't going to be to stiff. I think it would be.
Well I don't know why pro stock skates sell for so much and are rock hard stiff.

I guess you could always go the thrift shop and find a pair of bauer huggers if you want a limper boot? *snicker*

Boots and sticks are not even close to the same comparison. But ok as I get stronger and heaver I up the flex on my stick as well as I skate better I want more support in my boot.

Graf 705s are a pro level skate and sold as such
"lightweight extra-stiff boot"
http://www.usaskates.com/hockeyskates/s705sr.html

You got the skate you paid for. I hate the Grafs personally since I have duck feet.

I hope you find the skate you are looking for.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 10:04 PM
  #11
CaptBrannigan
Registered User
 
CaptBrannigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Tampa
Country: United States
Posts: 2,881
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaminnj View Post
Lightspeeds have two holder nuts, Lightspeed 2s have a hook to hold the front and just one nut at the heal to hold the blade. I have not seen the LS power 2.1s if the mounting suystem is the same as any of them I'll bet its more like the LS2 than the LS.

http://www.hockeygiant.com/bauls2ssrunjr.html

The steel is not interchangeable different size skates take different size steel my 9.25 EE vapor 30s use a 288 steel but the size 9 vapor 30 with the same LS2 will take a smaller blade.
That makes sense, each runner length fits a range of skates. I don't know the numbers off the top of my head but I think a size 9 is the high end of a range. A bigger skate and bigger holder will have a longer runner.

Every LS I've ever encountered has only one nut. The Customs have two.

The steel is interchangeable even if it's not the same length. What I mean is that if someone brings in a LS2 that needs to be replaced, I can stick a LS Power 2.1 in there with no problem. The LS, LS2, and LS Power 2.1 are interchangeable, I do it multiple times a week.

CaptBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 12:15 AM
  #12
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Right Behind Me!
Posts: 10,444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by major league View Post
I beg to differ about the skate stiffnes. If the skates are to stiff you will not got used to them. I remember not to long ago players were compaining about a pair of teh Supremes that were too stiff. Again if the skates are too stiff you will not get used to them. End of story.
Ok, I admit, you are right sometimes, but that's been rare, IMO. Unless you're like 155 lbs soaking wet or have some real leg problems, a 2nd to top of the line or even top of the line skate will probably be ok. Always much better to try them on first, but remember skates really do get progressively less stiff as you break them in and wear them down.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 10:53 AM
  #13
luciousharris
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Brentwood,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 112
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to luciousharris Send a message via MSN to luciousharris
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaminnj View Post
Well I don't know why pro stock skates sell for so much and are rock hard stiff.

I guess you could always go the thrift shop and find a pair of bauer huggers if you want a limper boot? *snicker*

Boots and sticks are not even close to the same comparison. But ok as I get stronger and heaver I up the flex on my stick as well as I skate better I want more support in my boot.

Graf 705s are a pro level skate and sold as such
"lightweight extra-stiff boot"
http://www.usaskates.com/hockeyskates/s705sr.html

You got the skate you paid for. I hate the Grafs personally since I have duck feet.

I hope you find the skate you are looking for.
Lol. I understand your point. Someone pointed out someting to me and that is each skate is cut differntly. Some skates are cut where you might have a little more "Flex" in the boot. I guess that is the term that I was looking for. With the nex Graf's you don't get that certain flex when you push off like you were able to get with the original pair of 705's.

luciousharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 10:55 AM
  #14
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Right Behind Me!
Posts: 10,444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by major league View Post
Lol. I understand your point. Someone pointed out someting to me and that is each skate is cut differntly. Some skates are cut where you might have a little more "Flex" in the boot. I guess that is the term that I was looking for. With the nex Graf's you don't get that certain flex when you push off like you were able to get with the original pair of 705's.
I agree. Different boots will allow for different flexion and if the boot doesn't fit your foot right, it doesn't matter how stiff it is, you will get little to no flex.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 11:36 AM
  #15
therealdeal
Registered User
 
therealdeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,947
vCash: 500
If you really appreciate super stiff skates, it probably means the skate itself doesn't fit you properly.

Also, there are no such things as 'pro skates.' There are skates made for pros and they differ from player to player. Many pros prefer softer boots and many prefer stiffer.

therealdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 11:45 AM
  #16
K-PAX*
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,011
vCash: 500
I always had the top of the line Bauer skates when I played, for me it was a must. I wear mid-line skates right now because I bought them myself, but it's a mistake I won't repeat. I'll be buying a $600 pair of skates as soon as my current ones are broken down enough.

K-PAX* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 11:54 AM
  #17
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!
 
adaminnj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 675
vCash: 2466
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdeal View Post
If you really appreciate super stiff skates, it probably means the skate itself doesn't fit you properly.

Also, there are no such things as 'pro skates.' There are skates made for pros and they differ from player to player. Many pros prefer softer boots and many prefer stiffer.
Pro return skates are pro skates. Bauer XXXX are a pro level skate.

you are correct that a pro skate is made to players requirements but your not going to see a boot as limp as a bauer V on a pro foot. if the player is using a Graf 705 that skate is going to be based on the retail 705.

If the pro is using a softer boot then they will be in a softer model.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 11:55 AM
  #18
therealdeal
Registered User
 
therealdeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,947
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by major league View Post
No Way Jose. As I stated in another post. I used to love the Graf 705's. Awesome skates. When my old pair wore out, after about ten years. I bought another pair of 705. I am about to throw them in the trash. If I could get a bag of pucks for them I will make the trade. They are terrible. They are no longer made out of leather. The boots after a year are still too stiff. What I mean is,normally after a game if you were to squeeze the skates they would be a little soft. Not with the new Graf's When you squeese them they are as hard as a rock. Zero give. The old graf's were stiff,but not that stiff. So according to my expierience, stiffness has allot to do with it.I guess to each his own.
Also if you think about it. Stiffness in everyhing is going to make a difference. If you like a 80 flex in a stick and switch to a 120 are you going to tell me that the 120 isn't going to be to stiff. I think it would be.
Graf makes their skates stiff right at the heel but the rest of the skate should be pretty pliable unless you got them custom made and asked for them to be extra stiff. Even then they tend not to make them much stiffer.

therealdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 11:58 AM
  #19
therealdeal
Registered User
 
therealdeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,947
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaminnj View Post
Pro return skates are pro skates. Bauer XXXX are a pro level skate.

you are correct that a pro skate is made to players requirements but your not going to see a boot as limp as a bauer V on a pro foot. if the player is using a Graf 705 that skate is going to be based on the retail 705.

If the pro is using a softer boot then they will be in a softer model.
Pro return skates are custom made skates that anyone could get, not just pros. Anyone can buy a Bauer XXXX. They are simply an expensive skate (not sure how the price compares to the 195).

Yes, the Graf 705 that pros use are based on the retail 705s, in fact they are identical except for specifically changed fittings or whatever else the player wants.

Just as a player/pro used Bauer XXXX is based on a retail Bauer XXXX except for a few specific player certain changes.

therealdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 12:17 PM
  #20
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!
 
adaminnj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 675
vCash: 2466
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdeal View Post
Pro return skates are custom made skates that anyone could get, not just pros. Anyone can buy a Bauer XXXX. They are simply an expensive skate (not sure how the price compares to the 195).

Yes, the Graf 705 that pros use are based on the retail 705s, in fact they are identical except for specifically changed fittings or whatever else the player wants.

Just as a player/pro used Bauer XXXX is based on a retail Bauer XXXX except for a few specific player certain changes.
So we agree, there are pro skates.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 01:14 PM
  #21
CaptBrannigan
Registered User
 
CaptBrannigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Tampa
Country: United States
Posts: 2,881
vCash: 500
Retail XXXXs are much, much different than custom order XXXXs. We compared a pair side by side and the custom is much nicer and has better quality instruction. I would say that there's a bigger difference than just "a few specific player cetain changes".

While a XXXX is a "pro level" skate, the only way to get exactly "what the pros wear" is to custom order your pair. It's highly doubtful that anyone needs one of these in my experience, outside of needing two different sizes or a quarter size.

CaptBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 01:15 PM
  #22
therealdeal
Registered User
 
therealdeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,947
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaminnj View Post
So we agree, there are pro skates.
Which for all intents and purposes is a complete misnomer which yields no important information.

therealdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 01:17 PM
  #23
therealdeal
Registered User
 
therealdeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,947
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by twi View Post
Retail XXXXs are much, much different than custom order XXXXs. We compared a pair side by side and the custom is much nicer and has better quality instruction. I would say that there's a bigger difference than just "a few specific player cetain changes".

While a XXXX is a "pro level" skate, the only way to get exactly "what the pros wear" is to custom order your pair. It's highly doubtful that anyone needs one of these in my experience, outside of needing two different sizes or a quarter size.
Hate to tell you but they're all built in the same factory using the same parts. Bauer makes a couple of adjustments but not much, it's pretty much an as is skate.

But I agree with you such that custom ordering a pair of skates is no different than what the pros get, and I definitely agree pretty much no one actually requires a custom pair.

therealdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:52 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.