HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official we don't need Briere thread

Old
02-23-2009, 05:55 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Where is the "official teegale wants the Flyers to fail" thread?

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 06:01 PM
teegale
Hartnell Down!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
Where is the "official teegale wants the Flyers to fail" thread?
Yes, because without Briere we are destined to fail! (Kinda like what we did last year with him). Since you can see into the future, can you please ask your crystal ball when I'm going to die? I'd really like to know so i can plan accordingly.

teegale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 06:02 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by teegale View Post
Yes, because without Briere we are destined to fail! Since you can see into the future, can you please ask your crystal ball when I'm going to die? I'd really like to know so i can plan accordingly.
The day before the Flyers win their next Cup. Sorry about that.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 06:07 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:

I must admit I laughed pretty hard at this.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 06:19 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
I must admit I laughed pretty hard at this.
Haha I'm still laughing.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 06:20 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Everyone can handle it. Over long samples, almost every player in the NHL performs exactly to the same level in the playoffs as they do during the regular season.
If this is the case then thats all the more reason to add Briere into the lineup. We will need to score a lot more goals during this playoff run since odds are biron wont be stealing us a series or two since he will perform exactly the same in the playoffs as he has during the season. Odds are biron will play more like he did in the Pitt series than he did in the montreal or washington series.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 06:27 PM
ilovetheflyers8

Is anyone ever happy with and or supportive of the team? On the other hand I understand posting the question because you were bored (not being sarcastic).

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 06:34 PM
qwertysac

Think of it this way. If briere wasn't on the flyers and at the trade deadline holmgren pulled a deal to get him on the team, you'd all be stoked.

Yet, this is almost the exact same situation (except we don't lose anything to get him) and people want him gone? before he even gets back from injury?! Some of you guys aren't making any sense.

He's arguably more skilled with the puck than any other player on the flyers roster (Giroux is showing alot of potential though ) And it's not even funny how good/dangerous our pp looks with briere and timonen running it together.

Also, +/- is the most flawed stat in all of sports. It's not accurate AT ALL. So many different things can skew how that number turns out.

What is an accurate stat though is the fact that briere is a point per game player. Which means he'd directly be contributing to the flyers scoring about 1 goal per game either by scoring it himself or by assisting on it.

Not only that, but he's clutch as hell in the playoffs. I don't know about you guys, but im happy as hell that he's on this team. He's one of my favorite players and i'd rather see him in O & B than see him on the team we're playing against.

qwertysac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 06:40 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
If this is the case then thats all the more reason to add Briere into the lineup. We will need to score a lot more goals during this playoff run since odds are biron wont be stealing us a series or two since he will perform exactly the same in the playoffs as he has during the season. Odds are biron will play more like he did in the Pitt series than he did in the montreal or washington series.
'cept Briere applies more pressure to your own goalie than he does to the opposition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertysac View Post
Think of it this way. If briere wasn't on the flyers and at the trade deadline holmgren pulled a deal to get him on the team, you'd all be stoked.
No...we'd have the cap space to try and cut a deal for a guy like Bouwmeester, Pronger, etc.

Maybe we'd cut a deal for a goalie.

Quote:
Also, +/- is the most flawed stat in all of sports. It's not accurate AT ALL. So many different things can skew how that number turns out.
So many things can skew all statistics...for example, the ones that can create the false assumption that "clutch" exists, as show below. The +/- statistic isn't flawed at all...it represents EXACTLY what it says it represents, what is the total when you calculate goals for and against whilst you were on the ice.

Quote:
Not only that, but he's clutch as hell in the playoffs. I don't know about you guys, but im happy as hell that he's on this team. He's one of my favorite players and i'd rather see him in O & B than see him on the team we're playing against.
Clutch doesn't exist...and the idea of watching Briere try and contain Jeff Carter makes me salivate.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 07:01 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
'cept Briere applies more pressure to your own goalie than he does to the opposition.
Well you claim everything averages out in the end, so briere should have a much better +/- when he comes back. Before he came to the Flyers his average season was a -1 and that was withnot just the good teams in Buffalo but also some bad teams in pheonix. If what you say is true then he should actually counter his bad +/- season with a good end to this season and playoffs.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 07:16 PM
Opus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertysac View Post
Today, present time, with Richards and Carter (contributing the way they are)...not a hope.

Quote:
Yet, this is almost the exact same situation (except we don't lose anything to get him) and people want him gone? before he even gets back from injury?! Some of you guys aren't making any sense.
It's not the contract 'we' (some of us) want gone, it's the length and term of the contract. (See reply above)

Quote:
He's arguably more skilled with the puck than any other player on the flyers roster (Giroux is showing alot of potential though ) And it's not even funny how good/dangerous our pp looks with briere and timonen running it together.
It has nothing to do with his skill. I don't think anybody is really questioning that the guy has skill and is a talented hockey player. (See reply above)

Quote:
The stat does have it's flaws, but not completely innacurate.

Quote:
What is an accurate stat though is the fact that briere is a point per game player. Which means he'd directly be contributing to the flyers scoring about 1 goal per game either by scoring it himself or by assisting on it.
I'm not argueing his production, most people who think we don't need him (myself included) are very much well aware of his offensive production. Were talking about the salary and where the cap room would prove to be more valuable spent on a defenseman or to upgrade the goaltending. Something that would be very easy to do w/o Brieres salary.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 07:17 PM
qwertysac

Quote:
The +/- statistic isn't flawed at all...it represents EXACTLY what it says it represents, what is the total when you calculate goals for and against whilst you were on the ice.
I know what it is, but it's not accurate. It's flawed and misleading.

Where do i begin? First off its an individual stat when it should be a team stat. Every player on the ice gets a minus or a plus when a goal is scored even the players that aren't involved in the play. If one player makes a huge mistake that ends up being a goal, the other players get a minus for it too.

Example: Briere can have a shift where he intercepts a pass in the neutral zone, does a nice give n go with richards and hits the post, then gets his own rebound and sets up another scoring chance. Only to have the puck go back the other way where jones makes a mistake ( lol ) and the puck ends up in the net. Briere is -1

Or how about when a player goes to make a change and someone hops on in his place and a goal gets scored? Does the player who just came on deserve to get the + or a -? A player can make a breakout pass from is own zone, skate to the bench for a change, then a goal gets scored. The player gets and assist, but not +1... The player who replaced him on the ice gets credited with it.

So please explain to me how the stat isn't flawed... Everybody acts like its a tell all stat when trying to see if a player is any good. When it clearly isn't.

Quote:
Clutch doesn't exist...
You're taking it literally. Clutch is just a term that refers to a player who performs well, elevates their play and shows up during big games. As a flyer fan i don't need to start naming names, but im sure you can think of a few players who've played on the team and who "disappeared" during the playoffs. That's Not clutch.

Briere is a proven playoff performer. He's Clutch. It's just a saying. There's not stat to prove if someone is or isn't clutch.

Last edited by qwertysac: 02-23-2009 at 07:36 PM.
Old
02-23-2009, 07:25 PM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

vCash: 163
Do we need Danny now? Not really.

Do we need Danny when the playoffs roll around? Abso-****ing-lutely.

Bottom line is this: Danny Briere is money when the playoffs roll around. He is the most money player we have untill Carter/Richards ect prove otherwise.

Last edited by El Dandy*: 02-23-2009 at 07:37 PM.
El Dandy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 07:32 PM
CNote
Get 'er done

Quote:
Gold Jerry!...Gold!

CNote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 07:38 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Into the Wayback Machine:

Quote:
Pitkanen is a heavy minus because he spends 90% of this time trying to create offense
Good times!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Richards is another guy who is 60 games away from toppling into the Bust Bin. The love affairs some have for him is more inexplicable ( ) than those who have love for 44.
Awesome.

Last edited by JXC: 02-23-2009 at 07:43 PM.
JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 07:48 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Awesome.
Yeah, good call on the Richards thing.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 07:53 PM
FlyHigh

Still waiting for someone to even make a half-assed attempt to tell me how our defense has improved without Briere.

Old
02-23-2009, 08:01 PM
Norm MacDonald

I'd love it if Holmgren traded Briere, but he won't waive that NMC.

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 12:54 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Still waiting for someone to even make a half-assed attempt to tell me how our defense has improved without Briere.
Maybe it hasn't, but we started to win when he got hurt and we are more consistent this year with him out than we were last year with him.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 01:19 AM
qwertysac

well, there you go, theres the half-assed attempt

Old
02-24-2009, 08:17 AM
JSTAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Maybe it hasn't, but we started to win when he got hurt and we are more consistent this year with him out than we were last year with him.

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 08:37 AM
FlyHigh

Quote:
I would tend to attribute that more to Gagne's return, Carter's breakout, and the revamping of our defense from the puckmoving side.

Old
02-24-2009, 08:47 AM
COMCASTMONEY
pay ya cable bills.

Quote:
Oh, well that's all because Kapanen's gone.

COMCASTMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 09:40 AM
Cmoneyflyguy

Quote:
We're talking a VERY marginal upgrade on the PP with Briere, if at all.
No person with any hockey sense could make this post and seriuosly believe it.
Our PP started hot this year but has been abysmal of late.
It was consistent all last year.

Not to mention he is a stud in th playoffs.

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 11:25 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy View Post
No person with any hockey sense could make this post and seriuosly believe it.
Our PP started hot this year but has been abysmal of late.
It was consistent all last year.

Not to mention he is a stud in th playoffs.
Really? Because I believe it too. It's about averages. The PP will run hot and cold with Briere, just like it does without him. The success rate will not increase by much, if at all.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote