HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Gaborik to MTL

Old
02-23-2009, 04:51 PM
gillyguzzler

vCash: 500
Until he is healthy enough to play and contribute, no team will touch him. Since he will not resign in Minny, it only makes sense to trade him. For Montreal, they're loaded on the wing but slim down the middle. Gaborik is a great player but a trade for a big centerman (Arnott?) would make more sense.

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 05:07 PM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyguzzler View Post
Until he is healthy enough to play and contribute, no team will touch him. Since he will not resign in Minny, it only makes sense to trade him. For Montreal, they're loaded on the wing but slim down the middle. Gaborik is a great player but a trade for a big centerman (Arnott?) would make more sense.
Fine. That's great. Minnesota doesn't want trade him either. We are in the playoff hunt. Why would we want to trade a player who EXACTLY what the Wild need.

It seems like the only people who want trade Gaborik are the very same people who claim he has zero trade value. It's like if they convince the hfboards-world that Gaborik is worthless, in real life, their GM will magically obtain Gaborik for a 3rd rounder. (Which deep down they know would be highway robbery.)

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 05:26 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyguzzler View Post
I strongly disagree that Gaborik has no value until he's playing. He's a top 10 offensive player in the league when healthy, and someone would move "decent" assets if he'd be available at the deadline on the off chance that he comes back after the deadline and is able to play. The real issue is how much is he worth, and how could the deal be structured to mitigate some of the risk if he's unable to go.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 06:54 PM
Deal Sealer

Send a message via MSN to Deal Sealer
I have Gaborik's skates valued at a first round pick, then his injury prone self for a top prospect.

Risebrough won't settle for garbage, if Montreal wants Gaborik i can see an offer like McDonagh + first, or Pacioretty + first.

Deal Sealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 07:26 PM
State of Hockey

I'd settle for just the 1st.

For those that don't think he will be traded when injured, I'll remind of you of the Todd Bertuzzi trade two years ago.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 07:32 PM
WreckItRask

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
I strongly disagree that Gaborik has no value until he's playing. He's a top 10 offensive player in the league when healthy, and someone would move "decent" assets if he'd be available at the deadline on the off chance that he comes back after the deadline and is able to play. The real issue is how much is he worth, and how could the deal be structured to mitigate some of the risk if he's unable to go.
Thank you...that's all I've been trying to say. Some GM's are conservative by nature, but not all of them. You have to think there are at least a few GM's out there with the cajones and ego to take a shot at Gaborik, and give up a decent package for him. The conservative GM's are not going to take the chance, but history shows that there are always GM's brazen enough to take a risk like this.

Here's the thing with Gaborik. If the prices get out of hand for mid-level talent, and you're already looking at absurd packages like a top prospect or a 1st for a guy like Antropov, then why not gamble? If I'm committed to making a bold move at the deadline, then why not put all your chips in and take your chances on Gaborik? What if you're Gainey, or Sather, or even Gillis, what do you have to lose? The first two especially have all but stated that something has to get done with their clubs, and if they can't salvage this year then there's an outside shot that they're toast in the offseason. Make a splash.

And someone asked me about what the Bruins would give up...I don't see them as buyers, but a man can dream can't he? I don't see Risebrough settling for crap, and I don't see Chiarelli willing to give up those sorts of assets to get Gaborik. The Bruins aren't desperate, and Chiarelli doesn't need to make a statement move to solidify his role. But there are more than a few brazen GM's that are going to at least think about the immense reward you could get if you had the balls to do it.

WreckItRask is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 08:01 PM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Fine. That's great. Minnesota doesn't want trade him either. We are in the playoff hunt. Why would we want to trade a player who EXACTLY what the Wild need.
Maybe because he's a free agent at the end of the year and you'll lose him for nothing?

Bring_Bak_Damphousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 08:18 PM
Ludo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Bak_Damphousse View Post
Maybe because he's a free agent at the end of the year and you'll lose him for nothing?
And you didn't need him all year....might as well get something for nothing.

Ludo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 09:22 PM
Zubrus Coffee Maker
Blinded by my Zubrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludo View Post
Now that Gaborik is back and healthy...would you do this?

TO MTL
- Gaborik

TO MIN
- 1st rounder
- S. Kostitsyn
- S. Begin

Montreal gets a great, fast superstar. Albeit injury prone Gaborik can make a HUGE difference. And I think he can be re-signed during the off-season to replace Kovalev's points (and more).

Minnesota gets a great draft pick, a good 2-way player and a fourth line grinder.

flame on.
Gabo is BACK?!?!?!!??!

Zubrus Coffee Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 09:31 PM
Ludo

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Jersey Devils View Post
Gabo is BACK?!?!?!!??!
Close enough to be considered for the deadline imo.

Ludo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 09:32 PM
Mancini79

Send a message via MSN to Mancini79 Send a message via Yahoo to Mancini79
Quote:

It seems like the only people who want trade Gaborik are the very same people who claim he has zero trade value. It's like if they convince the hfboards-world that Gaborik is worthless, in real life, their GM will magically obtain Gaborik for a 3rd rounder. (Which deep down they know would be highway robbery.)
I agree. It's as if some people took that night off when Gaby put 5 past King Lundquist in one game. That was sick! Actually, he could've had six or seven in that game. In today's NHL i can only see a few players being capable of doing that and we all know they are. They just have yet to do it.

Mancini79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 10:23 PM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Bak_Damphousse View Post
You are only looking at one side of the card. The Wild are in the playoff race too.

Question 1: What would a team be willing to give for Gaborik? Let's say a late 1st.

Question 2: What would the Wild be willing to give up for a UFA player like Gaborik at the deadline? Probably more than a late 1st.

Therefore, no trade.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 10:25 PM
warriorspikes51*

TO MTL:

Gaborik
4th rounder

TO MIN:

1st round pick
Higgins
future considerations

warriorspikes51* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 10:26 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Wasn't there a report two days ago that said Minny would not trade him, period?

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 11:42 PM
danyhabsfan

maybe if it was a conditionnal first if gaborik re-sign with the habs

danyhabsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 11:59 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAFutureNHLGM View Post
I have Gaborik's skates valued at a first round pick, then his injury prone self for a top prospect.

Risebrough won't settle for garbage, if Montreal wants Gaborik i can see an offer like McDonagh + first, or Pacioretty + first.
Pacioretty's value to the team is higher than what another team would give for him. Pacioretty and a 1st is a big no.

McDonagh and a first is tempting, but at the same time I'd rather not.

I'd prefer a less prospect, a 1st and roster player. Though, but that's me. I'm like everyone else on this board, really only likes a trade for his team if it looks like he clearly wins.

Analyzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 12:37 AM
emb24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAFutureNHLGM View Post

posts like this remind all of us that computers shouldn't be on during cookie break in grade 9 classrooms

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 12:39 AM
emb24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorspikes51 View Post
TO MTL:

Gaborik
4th rounder

TO MIN:

1st round pick
Higgins
future considerations
dream, dream dream.
gaborik is only worth a first if a team resigns him. he's worth FAR less with his injury history and UFA status

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 12:40 AM
BigT2002

vCash: 50
I want Koivu. He's already said he wants to play with baby bro....let em

Min:
Koivu

Habs:
Gaborik
Schultz

Last edited by BigT2002: 02-24-2009 at 12:46 AM.
BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 12:46 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
You are only looking at one side of the card. The Wild are in the playoff race too.

Question 1: What would a team be willing to give for Gaborik? Let's say a late 1st.

Question 2: What would the Wild be willing to give up for a UFA player like Gaborik at the deadline? Probably more than a late 1st.

Therefore, no trade.

1. No team is going to give up someone of equal quality when Gaborik plays because he doesn't play full seasons. While this latest hip surgery was supposed to remedy a lot of the ailings he has, its a chance that SCF contenders are not going to risk losing a keystone to their team advancing. Atlanta knew they were out of the playoffs and wanted to rebuild so they put Hossa on a team where they got the most bang for their buck (or so they thought) and Pens got another keystone to go further into the playoffs because he was crucial key for them during it...especially when Malkin got burned out. Wild are not looking to be Atlanta, they are looking to be the Pens.

Verdict: No trade unless its for actual players varying on where they stand on the deadline.

2. If this goes to the offseason, DR will sign him to a huge amount of money that no other team is going to offer him based on previous medical history. He will still get his $7.5, if not $7.8M regardless of the recession, because DR is an idiot and is trying to keep fan favorites in St. Paul for fear fans will leave the stands if he doesn't. Its why we have put up with the drama fest since the 2003/2004 season.

Verdict: We shoot ourselves in the foot by signing him again and maybe get a 3 year out of him, where only 1 season he actually contributes like he did last year

Old
02-24-2009, 12:52 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely06 View Post
What you say is true. In order to win, you have to take chances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
I want Koivu. He's already said he wants to play with baby bro....let em

Min:
Koivu

Habs:
Gaborik
Schultz
Whoever invents the thing where you can punch people over the internet will be a bijillionaire.

What in the sweet flying **** would Montréal do that ? Send Mikko over to Montréal.

Old
02-24-2009, 01:08 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Whoever invents the thing where you can punch people over the internet will be a bijillionaire.

What in the sweet flying **** would Montréal do that ? Send Mikko over to Montréal.
werd, you hit me I'll hit back though

No way in hell I'm sending him out of Minnesota. You send the old guy, you all like Kovalev more anyways

Old
02-24-2009, 01:18 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
werd, you hit me I'll hit back though

No way in hell I'm sending him out of Minnesota. You send the old guy, you all like Kovalev more anyways
Fair enough. I'd be amazing if a first came through my laptop and didn't break it.

Koivu has struck with Montréal through the worst times in their history, so for the organization to trade him away now would be disrespectful. If he was 36, 37, 38, you know, up there, Montréal was slated to miss the playoffs and Minnesota was looking like a real contender, then Montréal would more than likely ship him out to them.

Old
02-24-2009, 01:32 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Fair enough. I'd be amazing if a first came through my laptop and didn't break it.

Koivu has struck with Montréal through the worst times in their history, so for the organization to trade him away now would be disrespectful. If he was 36, 37, 38, you know, up there, Montréal was slated to miss the playoffs and Minnesota was looking like a real contender, then Montréal would more than likely ship him out to them.
You know I'm just kidding around with it right I just hope at SOME point he comes down to play with us before he retires, till then he's your "C"

Old
02-24-2009, 01:45 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
You know I'm just kidding around with it right I just hope at SOME point he comes down to play with us before he retires, till then he's your "C"
Hey man, it's hard to tell. Some people are serious around here with some offers.

I'd do maybe... This is just my thinking.

A 1st, D'ags (He's young, and a goal scorer for the team, has been solid for us) Gregory Stewart/Nicolas Torp/Steve Begin ?

For Gaborik and a conditonal pick based on Montréal's performance in the playoffs, orbased on Gaborik's performance ?

I'm not sure if Minnesota fans feel D'ags is good enough. He's a body who comes back to help you guys now and he's young. Stewart is playing on the team now because of injuries. Torp is a defensive prospect and Begin is a grinder, who can't really fight, but he works hard every night. I'm not sure if you guys have tons of these, or not. If so, then you'll probably be more inclined to go for Torp, or Stewart.