HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Leafs -2/21/09 - Who's That Bald Guy?

Old
02-22-2009, 11:28 AM
zeke
#TeamReimer

vCash: 500
Way to go, ACC fans - very classy tribute to one of your greatest players.

and screw you, fletch.

screw you.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 12:07 PM
draeko17

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
Way to go, ACC fans - very classy tribute to one of your greatest players.

and screw you, fletch.

screw you.
ditto

draeko17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 12:12 PM
Kessick

at the venom towards Fletcher. Have we forgot that if it wasn't for that man we would never have had Sundin on this team?!

Or for that matter, Luke Schenn, our future captain?

Thanks to the forever brilliant Silver Fox for all that he has done for this franchise. A few questionable moves doesn't change all that.

Kessick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 12:18 PM
Dana Murzyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icewind Dale View Post
I've never disliked the Canucks as a team, but I could never bring myself to cheer for them because of the fans. Just such disrespect always thrown our way. I think I first got a taste of it back in the 1994 playoffs when they chanted Wendy to Wendel Clark, and a group of them sent thousands of donuts to be delivered to Pat Burns because he used to be a cop.

Can't think of a hockey fanbase that, collectively, deserves a championship less than them.
Oh, come on. That's funny!

(Rioting after the finals, on the other hand -- not so funny.)

Dana Murzyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 12:27 PM
Mr Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
Grabo really undressed Luongo, didn't he?
After the game they interviewed Luongo he said, "Well you know I'm a team kinda guy I let the Leaf player score on me so Mats could have his chance".

Mr Shanahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 12:31 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TML4ever View Post
After the game they interviewed Luongo he said, "Well you know I'm a team kinda guy I let the Leaf player score on me so Mats could have his chance".
Wasn't Wellwood interviewed about that as well, saying he didn't try as hard as he could've on his shootout attempt, since he knew if he scored Mats wouldn't have had a shot anyways?

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 03:21 PM
IWD
Playoff-hardened

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Murzyn View Post
Oh, come on. That's funny!

(Rioting after the finals, on the other hand -- not so funny.)
I thought it was funnier when he had them given to the homeless.

IWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 03:36 PM
EazyB97

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotmybeef View Post
this game also shows that it's only one game. By tomorrow, you'll see the Toskala we've come to know.
The Vesa you've come to know if alot different than the Toskala most have seen for the past 5-7 years. He's having a bad season, but it appears to be the exception, not the rule.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSP4LYFE View Post
Yeah Im surprised it has taken RW this long to use him, he is one of the few skilled players on this team.
In the few attempts Grabovski's had in the shoot-out, he hasn't been impressive. Beautiful move last night, something we need to see from him much more often.

Was at the game last night, Blake's line was buzzing as usual, and Stajan's line looked decent as well. The fourth line seemed to be very physical and not hurting us much. Grabovski was moved off his line late in the game for, what I assume was, defensive reasons, since he was used in OT. Finger blows his coverage on the GTG late in the third to cost this team a point. Schenn looked strong and most of the D seemed to blend in for a large portion of the night. Good game overall for the Leafs, but you had a feeling all night long Mats would have the last laugh and he certainly did.

EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 03:47 PM
PTmbp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schenn02 View Post
I hope Mats gets booed relentlessly. I probably would be indifferent to cheering or booing him if he played for any team besides Vancouver (ok and Montreal/Ottawa for that matter). But here's hoping we lose!
LOL....and LOL....

PTmbp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 03:48 PM
PTmbp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML4ever View Post
Did he really said that.. that would be cool. I love Louongo...and Big Mats - the King

Old
02-22-2009, 04:10 PM
LeafsGuru93
me & Dave Ellett

Kyle Wellwood "I knew he was shooting 3rd so I didn't miss on purpose but I didn't give my best effort on it"

Luongo: "I'm a good team guy but I knew Mats was shooting 3rd so I decided to let the guy (Grabovski) score so he could be the hero"

It's not how they died that made them heroes, it's how they lived, putting others safety 1st, each & every day. Thanks Toronto police for keeping us safe. -RIP Sgt. Ryan Russell, Const. Garrett Styles.
LeafsGuru93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 05:46 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Perhaps if you knew the history of how Stafford Smythe blocked the Canucks entry into the NHL in the 1967 expansion, perhaps you might have some understanding of where the antipathy comes from?
Half the annoying Canucks fans on this board couldn't tell you who Pavel Bure is, much less Stafford Smythe.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 06:36 AM
PTmbp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsGuru View Post
Kyle Wellwood "I knew he was shooting 3rd so I didn't miss on purpose but I didn't give my best effort on it"

Luongo: "I'm a good team guy but I knew Mats was shooting 3rd so I decided to let the guy (Grabovski) score so he could be the hero"
i dont belive it really. any team would suspend a player doing so, they were kidding of course, but it would be kool if it were true

Old
02-23-2009, 07:41 AM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAscis View Post
i dont belive it really. any team would suspend a player doing so, they were kidding of course, but it would be kool if it were true
Luongo definitely got beat. Grabs undressed him big time. I questioned Wellwood doing it on purpose when it happened but I think he wanted to burn the Leafs, too

mapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 10:35 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
Half the annoying Canucks fans on this board couldn't tell you who Pavel Bure is, much less Stafford Smythe.
While the details have been foggy in the mists of time for some, it is an antipathy passed down from grandfather to father to son.

Sort of like the memory of the Leafs last Cup finals appearance.

Here is the story:
http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:...lnk&cd=4&gl=ca

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 12:12 PM
Volcanologist
Habitual User

Quote:
While the details have been foggy in the mists of time for some, it is an antipathy passed down from grandfather to father to son.

Sort of like the memory of the Leafs last Cup finals appearance.
Yes, where they won a Cup. A much better memory than, for example, your team's last finals appearance.

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 02:51 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
Yes, where they won a Cup. A much better memory than, for example, your team's last finals appearance.
Lots of memories of Game 7 and it was only in 1994 - not in the Original Six era.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 03:24 AM
Kessick

Quote:
Lots of memories of Game 7 and it was only in 1994 - not in the Original Six era.
Yes, well, you keep cherishing that one memory you have of the Canucks ever doing something noteworthy.

Also, enjoy your 7th man banner raising ceremonies while we raise ones to players like Mats Sundin.

Kessick is offline   Reply With Quote