HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Burke and the Media

Old
02-23-2009, 10:27 AM
Drew75

vCash: 500
Burke and the Media

If a moderator can find a better place for this - cool - but I see the same thing come up in many different posts, so I want to make a simple point to the 'nay-sayers'.

There seems to be a huge concern over the fact that a) we haven't made a significant trade yet. and b) Burkes comments in the media gives the impression that we're willing to keep our players that fans all imagine traded.

A) I imagine we haven't made a deal yet because no one has yet met Burkes asking price - which is high. My question to those who want to complain that "we're not rebuiding" or that "burkes screwing it up" is - would you rather he settled for a lower price 10 days before the deadline when GM's get desperate? I don't get the argument or the lack of patience.

B) As an example, if I had a hockey card/ comic book, car, or whater - that you wanted and I was willing to sell ... how much would you give me if I told you I was desperate to get rid of it? Now how much would you give me if you honestly felt I was willing to keep it and didn't feel the need to sell it? There are two different values in those two situations. I may really want to sell it - but if I'm smart, I make everyone think I'm more than willing to keep the item so that the buyers know they're offer is going to have to "convince" me.

Sorry - I'm not ranting, I'm just trying to understand the thought process when people are frustrated that Burke is holding out for high prices and he's playing the deadline the way one should approach any negotiation....

Drew75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 10:35 AM
Pinto
Burn Them All

vCash: 50
I agree. People that are complaining we haven't made a trade yet need to chill. Like you said, GM's get more desperate at/a couple days before the deadline.

Pinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 10:37 AM
Wetcoaster

One of the media in Vancouver once remarked:

The most dangerous place in the world to be standing is between Burkie and an open microphone.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 10:39 AM
Delayed Offside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post

The most dangerous place in the world to be standing is between Burkie and an open microphone.
sounds like something don taylor would say

Delayed Offside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 10:42 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtyone View Post
sounds like something don taylor would say
It was an ink-stained wretch - maybe Mike Beamish? I cannot recall for sure but the quote stuck.

Old
02-23-2009, 10:45 AM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Anything Burke spews is regurgitate *hit that is cloaked with the smell of fresh roses thanks to his buddies, the media. After all, the media wanted Burke because he's an incredible story-generator, so they can now sell tons of papers based on Burke's two-faced grandiose 'charisma'. Burke is a megalomaniac Godzilla out of control and on a rampage to cement his 'legacy'.

ForzaZuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 10:53 AM
dubplatepressure

Hindsight is 20/20, and in 4 years when Burke's time is up that's what I'll rely on.

dubplatepressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 10:55 AM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaZuffa View Post
Anything Burke spews is regurgitate *hit that is cloaked with the smell of fresh roses thanks to his buddies, the media. After all, the media wanted Burke because he's an incredible story-generator, so they can now sell tons of papers based on Burke's two-faced grandiose 'charisma'. Burke is a megalomaniac Godzilla out of control and on a rampage to cement his 'legacy'.

LOL... jesus. You're right - he's not even qualified to deliver those newspapers!!

dubplatepressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 02:53 PM
Shaun_W_W

The thing I don't like is when he says negative things about our players in the media. How can he say he wants a 1st for Antropov when he also said that he hasn't seen anything that warrants a new contract offer....

Shaun_W_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 02:59 PM
Antropovsky

Burke is using the media to his advantage. He started by saying, the offers were crap, and recently he's said that he has some very good offers on the table... yet nothing was or has been pulled. I wouldn't be surprised if he's just baiting GM's into believing that other GM's are offering more.... so they up their offers.

Trades will happen.... were only weeks away from the deadline, time to be patient.

Antropovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 03:09 PM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun_W_W View Post
The thing I don't like is when he says negative things about our players in the media. How can he say he wants a 1st for Antropov when he also said that he hasn't seen anything that warrants a new contract offer....
Antropov responded and has been great since being called out.

Seems like Burkie knew what he was doing and used some Wilson tactics.

iPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 03:32 PM
dissociater

People say egomaniac like it's a bad thing when it comes to Managing a team. Sure sometimes it might get in the way if you're overly loyal to 'your' players. But I see it as an increased desire to prove yourself right and win.

dissociater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 02:48 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissociater View Post
People say egomaniac like it's a bad thing when it comes to Managing a team. Sure sometimes it might get in the way if you're overly loyal to 'your' players. But I see it as an increased desire to prove yourself right and win.
Too much testosterone and not enough gray matter is a dangerous combination.

Old
02-24-2009, 03:54 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bad Guys View Post
Antropov responded and has been great since being called out.

Seems like Burkie knew what he was doing and used some Wilson tactics.
Atleast they are know how to bring the sleeping players awake again...

i think we had enough just chilling players don't ya think?

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 03:56 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

and Truth be told...IM DYING HERE TO WAIT FOR A TRADE TO OCCUR!!!!

I think this week's game will pretty much give all the GMS around the league what is needed and what is not needed...so Although i really hope there is a blasted trade by wednesday or even thursday...Im trying to keep my cool...

TBG had an awesome south park video on how anxious everyone and he is during these times lol

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 06:43 AM
sangreale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post

That seems to be so true. We all knew that about him. Yet it seems somewhat unbecoming to me. It is not something I expect from someone in his position. I am wondering how much it irritates other GM's that he is like that. I am not saying it is compromising his ability to do his job, but it seems such an untypical thing for someone in his position to do. Not that other GM's don't use the media to get a message out there, but others seem not so public about it.

sangreale is offline   Reply With Quote