HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Chris Drury quote

Old
02-24-2009, 08:38 AM
Fletch

vCash: 500
Chris Drury quote

from today's Post
Quote:
"Certainly we needed something just to get us to play better...whether it's a different personality, a different voice, a different system, or a combination, but technically it might help us to try a different approach".
This is from today's Post (sorry there isn't a link - I still read the hard copy on the train, and sorry mods if this is somewhere else but I don't know which topic it would fall under and didn't go through all the threads).

Now, I'm thoroughly disgusted that it came down to the dismissal of Renney. This is a quote from the team's captain. People dispute whether or not us folks can determine who's a good captain and who's a bad captain since we're not in the room or on the ice. Honestly, if the captain, who happens to be a vet, states the following "we needed something just to get us to play better," then I have to question his attitude on the ice and off the ice. The players won this round. They got Renney fired, and man do I hate that. This isn't a vet like Mess getting a coach fired, and even that's wrong, this is Chris Drury, who has never been the "leader," but rather always part of a team, typically teams with leaders. "We needed something?" - how about better play from Drury - which he one day, after 55 or so games, readily admitted, although perhaps that was just window dressing and he was blaming the coach for the team's woes...the same coach who coached him in the prior season to the second round. Makes me miss Jagr and Shanny because if they were here, I wouldn't have heard a peep from Drury and Jagr especially was not above his coach (this latest rendition of Jagr). I hope Torts doesn't five Drury a long leash and gets that kid to play.

Another interesting note in the article: "John doesn't know Sean [Avery] the way we do," Sather said. "Over time, he'll learn to love him the way I have." - uh, is Avery now a Ranger - sure sounds like it...

Last edited by Trxjw: 02-24-2009 at 08:54 AM.
Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 08:45 AM
In The Flesh

It was a big, big mistake not signing Shanny.

Drury doesn't know what the hell he's doing.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 08:47 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
It was a big, big mistake not signing Jagr.

fixed it for you.

Shanny wouldn't have helped this team out. Especially w/ Renney as coach for most of the year. Renney would have given him too many minutes, and wore him out. Just like he did last year.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 08:48 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

I agree Fletch, thats not what you want to hear from a leader. Maybe he's just trying to set a mood that this change will be positive for the team in general, but really I think he wasn't comfortable in Renney's system, and it showed in his subpar play.

And yeah, Slats let the cat out of the bag there didn't he? He sure knows Avery - just like he knew Jessiman, Redden, Rismiller - he knows players, how dare you Torts have an opinion, Slats knows em like no one else !

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 08:49 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
fixed it for you.

Shanny wouldn't have helped this team out. Especially w/ Renney as coach for most of the year. Renney would have given him too many minutes, and wore him out. Just like he did last year.
Yeah but now we know why he played Shanny so much, the power play has been power less w/o Shanny & Jags.

Old
02-24-2009, 08:51 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Yeah but now we know why he played Shanny so much, the power play has been power less w/o Shanny & Jags.
true, but I was more talking about using him so much on the PK, and at ES. Especially the PK.

Old
02-24-2009, 08:53 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
I agree Fletch, thats not what you want to hear from a leader. Maybe he's just trying to set a mood that this change will be positive for the team in general, but really I think he wasn't comfortable in Renney's system, and it showed in his subpar play.
And yeah, Slats let the cat out of the bag there didn't he? He sure knows Avery - just like he knew Jessiman, Redden, Rismiller - he knows players, how dare you Torts have an opinion, Slats knows em like no one else !
this I agree with. In fact I don't think that anybody was completely comfortable in Renney's system. It always looked like players were always really tense, and never free flowing.

On the otherhand I am not sure that Torts is the best person for the change either. he might be way to in your face for some of these players. He was my second choice for coach though, and I look forward to see what this team can bring offensively.

I still think that Lavs was the best choice though.

Old
02-24-2009, 08:53 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
**** Drury. Look, maybe playing in Renney's system negatively impacted Drury's offense, but there's no question the guy just hasn't been playing well. He's been making stupid turnovers, playing lazy in his own end, etc. He has played poorly and really shouldn't be blaming anyone but himself.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 08:57 AM
Abooch68

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
It was a big, big mistake not signing Shanny.

thats why tkachuk will be a ranger

Abooch68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 08:57 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
**** Drury. Look, maybe playing in Renney's system negatively impacted Drury's offense, but there's no question the guy just hasn't been playing well. He's been making stupid turnovers, playing lazy in his own end, etc. He has played poorly and really shouldn't be blaming anyone but himself.
and maybe playing hockey just stopped being enjoyable for the players because of the system, and never being able to take any risks. Remember it is a job for them, and like any job you need to enjoy what you do to do it the best.

Drury came here w/ the promise of playing an uptempo game, same w/ gomez, naslund, zherdev etc.... Renney did not follow through on his promise, and made the game boring as hell w/ all defense all the time. Playing defense probably isn't the most enjoyable aspect of hockey, especially for offensive forwards who LOVE playing on the rush such as Gomez and Drury. Playing Renneys system was probably torture, and very well could have sucked the energy out of them.

Its no different than if your boss/teacher tells you he is going to do one thing and than does something completely different. It probably will piss you off, and get you down. Same thing happens to presidents, and world leaders. IF you say you are going to change something and don't follow through than people will be pissed. Renney promised change of pace, a fast attack team. he delivered a boring as hell, defensive minded, fall back style of hockey. I know if I was a player I wouldn't be all that thrilled of playing that style, if I was specifically told we were going to be fast paced when I got here.

Old
02-24-2009, 08:58 AM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Can't wait when Torts his holding little Chris accountable for his average play. Dru will probably breakdown and cry.

All in all, I hope the coaching change will affect the guys in a posetive way "improving the numbers"

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 09:03 AM
TheHotRock

he needs to be stripped of the c before the puck drops tomorrow.......he's a class a ******* in my eyes.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 09:04 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
and maybe playing hockey just stopped being enjoyable for the players because of the system, and never being able to take any risks. Remember it is a job for them, and like any job you need to enjoy what you do to do it the best.

Drury came here w/ the promise of playing an uptempo game, same w/ gomez, naslund, zherdev etc.... Renney did not follow through on his promise, and made the game boring as hell w/ all defense all the time. Playing defense probably isn't the most enjoyable aspect of hockey, especially for offensive forwards who LOVE playing on the rush such as Gomez and Drury. Playing Renneys system was probably torture, and very well could have sucked the energy out of them.
Lets take it back a few years - we sucked for 7 years with 'an up tempo offensive sytem', which really wasn't a system, it was 'lets try and recapture the Oilers of the 80's style with Lindros, Fleury, Nedved, etc'.

Finally we get a coach who plays a real system, that works no less. And the players don't enjoy it. They try, but they give up, cause defensively, the sytem holds if you don't turnover the puck at inoppurtune times and score on the PP. These guys were not that talented, they'd have to put out 100% every night and finally they gave up.

Old
02-24-2009, 09:04 AM
Fletch

Bluenote...

that comment by Sather pretty much shows why this team is where it is today. Slats falls in love with projects. He loves swinging for the fences and saying he found someone else's garbage and made it into gold and that he's a master of finding these gems. This is why Redden's here, and probably why Renney now is not (because of the team he put together).

Rags - Shanny may've helped this team. Perhaps leadership was a missing quantity on this team and he may've been that influence that kept the players going, even when not listening to Renney. Of course, ice time would've been the key issue.

But I guess we need to get past what would've helped this team. I think this board is in 100% agree that Sather is a screw-up. Between his non-signings and his signings he's done a pretty bad job aside from getting Jagr which really helped him shape the entire roster coming out of the lockout. He didn't do much to enhance the team or prepare it well for the post-Jagr days. Hopefully Torts is what this team needed, since they stopped listening to their coach. They have shown an ability to play well; we'll see which team shows up for the stretch run.

Old
02-24-2009, 09:05 AM
Shake and Bake

**** Chris Drury, yes...but I think Slats comment about Avery is a big deal and should also be talked about in this thread

Shake and Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 09:08 AM
Fletch

One more thing, Bluenote...

perhaps Drury wasn't comfortable with Renney's system...or perhaps he's used to just blending in and coming through in the clutch, which he was afforded at times when his teammates were a bit better and were able to present Drury with clutch situations. Perhaps also he couldn't handle the 22-25 minutes he was getting to start last season, or the 20+ minutes he's averaging this season, since his career was spent as a 16-18 minute per night guy; again, blending in a making the big plays here and there, but otherwise, a lot less pressure on him because guys like Forsberg, Sakic, Roy and others were also there.

Old
02-24-2009, 09:09 AM
SML

Before we get all indignant, could we step back and remember that the man we call "the captain" around here, Mark Messier, not only did the same thing but did it twice... Once to Roger Nielson and again to Tom Renney in Vancouver? It may be a crappy thing to do, but there is a chance that the team is right about this. We never see all the info the way the players do. Professionals do not just quit on a coach with no reason.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 09:10 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
perhaps Drury wasn't comfortable with Renney's system...or perhaps he's used to just blending in and coming through in the clutch, which he was afforded at times when his teammates were a bit better and were able to present Drury with clutch situations. Perhaps also he couldn't handle the 22-25 minutes he was getting to start last season, or the 20+ minutes he's averaging this season, since his career was spent as a 16-18 minute per night guy; again, blending in a making the big plays here and there, but otherwise, a lot less pressure on him because guys like Forsberg, Sakic, Roy and others were also there.
Thats definitely the book on Drury as a Ranger. He and Gomez wanted this, they wanted to be the leaders of this team. Its just disappointing that they couldn't/can't be the leaders on the ice.

Old
02-24-2009, 09:11 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Lets take it back a few years - we sucked for 7 years with 'an up tempo offensive sytem', which really wasn't a system, it was 'lets try and recapture the Oilers of the 80's style with Lindros, Fleury, Nedved, etc'.

Finally we get a coach who plays a real system, that works no less. And the players don't enjoy it. They try, but they give up, cause defensively, the sytem holds if you don't turnover the puck at inoppurtune times and score on the PP. These guys were not that talented, they'd have to put out 100% every night and finally they gave up.
we did get a real system, that works, but not a real system that gets the most out of your players.

The 06-07 team should have gotten by the Sabres.

The 07-08 team DRASTICALLY underachieved. Jagr, Straka, Shanny, Drury, Gomez, Avery, Staal, Rosy, girardi, Tyutin, Lundy. This team should have gotten to at least the ECF. There is absolutely NO Reason for the lack of scoring on this team, and a crap PP. That is all Renney not getting the most out of his players. Renney also got schooled by Therrion in the pittsburgh series. Renney was horrible at changing gameplans mid game to counteract another teams strategy, and Renney was horrible w/ personel decisions.

Sorry, but a better coach, such as Lavs, Quenville, Babcock, Ruff, Hitchcock, Sutter, Torts would have gotten more out of those teams.

Old
02-24-2009, 09:16 AM
Fletch

Rags...

I do somewhat agree about the system. I agree it works, but could be better. I also believe, however, that the players within the system, including Drury and others, could have performed better within that system. I mean no system in the world that's a defensive system gives up 14 shorthanded goals. I just don't know how that's not 100% on the players. If they had given up 1/2 of that amount, this team would be a few points higher in the standings and have a better psyche (how demoralizing is it to go out there and have a shortied scored upon you...again? It's gotta put a dent into their confidence and affect their next PP opportunity).

Old
02-24-2009, 09:18 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

We shouldnt be too quick to judgment here. Drury could be speaking for the team. Whatever Renny was feeding them coaching wise obviously wasnt working. Maybe he lost the team. A great guy, a nice guy. Everyone says the same things. Great classy guy. But if he lost the teams confidence... this was the right move.

Tom Renny was the perfect coach for the JAGR led Rangers. He was great at navigating different robust personalities. But the talent level of that team was far greater. With less talent, and robust personalities to care for, Tom Renny ceased being the right coach for this team.

Its not as simple to say Jagr carried Rennys team. Without Rennys diplomacy, perhaps JJ doesnt thrive in NY.

I hope Renny stays with the organization. He is very valuable. CBC is already talking about Yzerman courting him as part of team Canada.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 09:18 AM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
Before we get all indignant, could we step back and remember that the man we call "the captain" around here, Mark Messier, not only did the same thing but did it twice... Once to Roger Nielson and again to Tom Renney in Vancouver? It may be a crappy thing to do, but there is a chance that the team is right about this. We never see all the info the way the players do. Professionals do not just quit on a coach with no reason.
Excellent, excellent point SML. I really don't understand people using Drury as the whipping boy here. He has certainly been disappointing this season, but he's far from the real problem. I'm clearly in the minority here, but I still believe that Drury is the right guy to wear the C.

I really don't see what he said in that article that was so bad. The team did need a shakeup. They do need to try a different system. Is there anyone here who would deny that?

clmetsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 09:19 AM
Fletch

One other thing, Rags...

last season's team didn't go to the ECF because they ran into a hot PITT team that played well defensively, which was a surprise, and had the offensive firepower. I've said many times that I think there are coaches who can get more out of this team's players, but I'm not sure I can say a different coach would've taken the Rangers past PITT last season. Maybe one wouldd have, but that's a big maybe, which is dependent on how the regular season would've played out and if some guys would've been more effective had they been used differently, or had more in the tank at the end. It's a real tough call.

Old
02-24-2009, 09:19 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

[QUOTE=Rags225;18134303]
Quote:
we did get a real system, that works, but not a real system that gets the most out of your players.
Look around the league, how many teams are getting everything they can from every player?

Quote:
The 06-07 team should have gotten by the Sabres.
But they didn't, no excuses Tortorella style, right?

Quote:
The 07-08 team DRASTICALLY underachieved. Jagr, Straka, Shanny, Drury, Gomez, Avery, Staal, Rosy, girardi, Tyutin, Lundy. This team should have gotten to at least the ECF. There is absolutely NO Reason for the lack of scoring on this team, and a crap PP. That is all Renney not getting the most out of his players. Renney also got schooled by Therrion in the pittsburgh series. Renney was horrible at changing gameplans mid game to counteract another teams strategy, and Renney was horrible w/ personel decisions
Couldn't be that Pittsburgh was the better team?

Quote:
Sorry, but a better coach, such as Lavs, Quenville, Babcock, Ruff, Hitchcock, Sutter, Torts would have gotten more out of those teams
Opinion.

Old
02-24-2009, 09:21 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Did someone just call SUTTER a good coach? dear god......

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote