HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Gomez to Atlanta

Old
02-24-2009, 09:35 AM
4rde

vCash: 500
Gomez to Atlanta

So i saw topic about teams being interested getting Gomez so i thought Trashers to be one of them.

To Rangers:
Tobias Enstrom
2nd round pick in 09

Im really not sure if this is good proposal in any way, but Gomez to Atlanta feels pretty good to me so i just threw something out here.

7mil payroll isnt hurting their cap space much, they have almost 12mil cap space at the moment. 5mil should be enough to give Little raise and sign Kovalchuk again.

Atlanta picks Hedman in the draft to get new good young d-man And if they cant, well thats a shame then

Kovy - Gomez - Little
Kozlov - White - Peverley

4rde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 09:40 AM
grabo84

I doubt you'd get Enstrom.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 09:40 AM
Magnus Fulgur

I think this is a fantastic trade for Atlanta because Enstrom is overrated...but make the pick a fourth .
Toby really doesn't move the puck that well (he got points last year because he was on the PP with Kovy who was red-hot with the slapper), he has a terrible weak and innacurate shot (because he plays with an oversized stick), and he's horrible around the crease. He's great defensively at center ice and in the corners. Big Whoop.

I'd be thrilled to trade Enstrom for anyone of value. Once Havelid is gone Enstrom is going to be useless because he's the only guy he talks to on the team (and Hedberg).

Magnus Fulgur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 09:43 AM
Enstrom39

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4rde View Post
So i saw topic about teams being interested getting Gomez so i thought Trashers to be one of them.

To Rangers:
Tobias Enstrom
2nd round pick in 09

Im really not sure if this is good proposal in any way, but Gomez to Atlanta feels pretty good to me so i just threw something out here.

7mil payroll isnt hurting their cap space much, they have almost 12mil cap space at the moment. 5mil should be enough to give Little raise and sign Kovalchuk again.

Atlanta picks Hedman in the draft to get new good young d-man And if they cant, well thats a shame then

Kovy - Gomez - Little
I'm a big Enstrom fan but I would consider it--but only after the Draft Lottery when it becomes clear the Thrashers will not land Tavares. If we get the Tavares then no need to get Gomez and I'd rather keep a young D man.

Enstrom39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 09:43 AM
4rde

Oh and yea i think Gomez still has value to GM's. He probably isnt that hated in their minds as he is in these boards.

He is around point per game player, good playmaker, plays good d (at least he did in NJ) and is experienced.

I think he is just having a bad season.

4rde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 09:46 AM
grabo84

Quote:
Oh and yea i think Gomez still has value to GM's. He probably isnt that hated in their minds as he is in these boards.

He is around point per game player, good playmaker, plays good d (at least he did in NJ) and is experienced.

I think he is just having a bad season.
It's not his play so much as the contract. It's awfully hard to justify that sort of money for what he can contribute.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 09:49 AM
ArVeeDee

Why do you guys hate Enstrom so much? I thought he has been our best defensive guy all season.

ArVeeDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 09:51 AM
Magnus Fulgur

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Falconer View Post
I'm a big Enstrom fan but I would consider it--but only after the Draft Lottery when it becomes clear the Thrashers will not land Tavares. If we get the Tavares then no need to get Gomez and I'd rather keep a young D man.
Very good point: plus, if we get Hedman is that less or more of a reason to keep Enstrom? Do we then want Hedman-Enstrom Hainsey-Bogosian OR do we want Hedman-Bogosian Hainsey-Exelby AND Gomez-Kovalchuk?

But yeah, Atlanta has Little, White, Peverely, Slater, and possibly Reasoner (and someday??? Esposito) to try at center. If there's a chance (and there's a decent one) of getting Tavares, why get another center???

Old
02-24-2009, 09:53 AM
Magnus Fulgur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArVeeDee View Post
Why do you guys hate Enstrom so much? I thought he has been our best defensive guy all season.
As I said, good in the corners and open ice, horrible around the crease and PK. His plus minus is largely caused by Havelid's excellent work.

Old
02-24-2009, 09:57 AM
AlMo

Quote:

To Rangers:
Tobias Enstrom
2nd round pick in 09

Kovy - Gomez - Little
I think the Rangers would give Gomez away. ATL would not have to deal with Enstrom at all. The 7 million in cap space is vital for the Rangers imo. I think a mid-rd pick and decent prospect would easily get Gomez and you might get him for free if you take Redden along with him.

AlMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 10:01 AM
Sony Eriksson*

That would be a horrible deal for Atlanta. Gomez' contract is WAY to high for netting 12 goals and 30 assists. I think NY is stuck with that contract just like they are with Drury's.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 10:02 AM
BringBackStevens

Gomez isn't going to get Enstrom and a very high 2nd round pick back

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 10:04 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addiction View Post
That would be a horrible deal for Atlanta. Gomez' contract is WAY to high for netting 12 goals and 30 assists. I think NY is stuck with that contract just like they are with Drury's.
I like how two Atlanta fans say they'd do it yet you say it's so horrible for them. I take it that you know the Thrashers better than they do?

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 10:10 AM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I like how two Atlanta fans say they'd do it yet you say it's so horrible for them. I take it that you know the Thrashers better than they do?
I just don't see how Gomez will help Atlanta. He can't even the Rangers at the moment who have more talent than Atlanta has. I would love to see Gomez go but but the Rangers are going to have to sweeten the deal with picks or prospect i think in order for another team to take on that fat contract.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 10:12 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addiction View Post
Gomez would probably look pretty good with Kovalchuk...with a legit winger he probably hits 70-90 points again. That probably comes closer to justifying the contract, as I'm also expecting "star" players who score 90+ points to be getting something like $8-10 mill as FA's (though the whole cap not going up could affect that as well)

With the Rangers coaching change and the promise to loosen things up and let their offensive players be more creative, it's possible we see Gomez show more offense than he has this year, and that might make him more attractive to some teams at the deadline.

Really pure speculation though...I don't think his contract is that horrible if he can actually get back to hitting 70-90 points, like I said. It's not great, but he could be a good addition to a team that needs a veteran center and has plenty of cap space

edit: I also think that if the Rangers manage to trade him, they probably won't get a real big return though. The only way I can see them getting a decent return and not have to sweeten the deal would be if they manage to create some bidding war for him

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 10:13 AM
teme

Exelby sounds about right for Gomez. The guy quite simply has a bloated and lenghty contract. Yet Gomez to Atlanta could work, they have the cap space to live with it and the need. Just don't expect that much in return, it would be purely a salary dump.

teme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 10:15 AM
In The Flesh

how about Armstrong and X or Armstrong and a mid-late pick???

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 10:16 AM
ArVeeDee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
The big contract on Gomez is worse than the big contract on Enstrom if you must know. Atlanta of all teams isn't going to take on that kind of contract and give up a younger/cheaper player to do it.

and to be fair Toxostoma is VERY critical about Enstrom. I've seen him bring up his flaws on here and the forum at atlantathrashers.com more times than I can remember. I respect his hockey knowledge, but I think that he just doesn't like Toby

Last edited by ArVeeDee: 02-24-2009 at 10:22 AM.
ArVeeDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 10:20 AM
Peter

vCash: 50
If I am Columbus...in need a center to play with Nash...I try to get Gomez before anyone else can.

I trade Kris Russell, 1st pick '09 and Jason Williams (contract and body dump) to Rangers for Gomez...whom I am assuming is simply trying to dump a contract.

Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 10:24 AM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
how about Armstrong and X or Armstrong and a mid-late pick???
No offense, but I think you're dreaming if you think Armstrong is going the other way for Gomez.

Not to say Gomez isn't a good player, but NYR needs to dump salary. They're really not in a position to ask for a player like Armstrong to head the other way. Remember, Anaheim took a pretty big fleece job from Atlanta when they dumped Schneider's salary for the likes of Klee and Larsen. I believe Klee is in Phoenix now, and I don't even know about Larsen.

Expect a couple of dead weights to come back your way, with the possibility of a late round pick. If NYR gets Christensen and/or Thorburn out of this, they should consider themselves thankful.

dj4aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 10:27 AM
Zubrus Coffee Maker
Blinded by my Zubrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
If I am Columbus...in need a center to play with Nash...I try to get Gomez before anyone else can.

I trade Kris Russell, 1st pick '09 and Jason Williams (contract and body dump) to Rangers for Gomez...whom I am assuming is simply trying to dump a contract.
holy

Zubrus Coffee Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 10:28 AM
Norm MacDonald

Rangers would be lucky to dump Gomez for free.

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 10:32 AM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

how bout no?
I agree he is overpaid, but he is a good player and I'd rather wait to see what kind of points he can put up in a new system. Either way why would the Ranger want Enstrom? Gomez can fetch more than you guys are giving him credit for. Drury on the other hand...

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 10:41 AM
Norm MacDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan68 View Post
how bout no?
I agree he is overpaid, but he is a good player and I'd rather wait to see what kind of points he can put up in a new system. Either way why would the Ranger want Enstrom? Gomez can fetch more than you guys are giving him credit for. Drury on the other hand...
The Rangers got Gomez primarily because they were the highest bidder; most teams didn't think that amount of money and cap hit was worth Gomez. Considering his value has fallen due to poor play this season, I doubt anyone would want him for his huge contract.

Look at it this way... would Atlanta really want to sign Gomez for 5 more years at over $7.3M? And would they really give up Enstrom to do it? I really doubt it (especially considering their financial troubles and ownership issues). If they really want to severely overpay for a mediocre center, they can wait until the offseason to do it and not waste valuable assets.

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 10:42 AM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan68 View Post
Gomez can fetch more than you guys are giving him credit for.
You're forgetting one important part of the equation.

The destination team has to take on his monster contract.

According to nhlnumbers.com, the Rangers have nine players signed for next season, taking up ~$40m in cap space. Eight million of that is for Gomez. Trading a player signed through 2013-2014, and signed to such a huge contract, is no easy task. The Rangers would be in dump mode, and therefore in no position to negotiate for better players to come their way. Especially from a rebuilding team like Atlanta.

You might wonder why Enstrom would go the other way. I wonder too, but if it meant getting Gomez here, I might do it. The draft pick, however, would almost certainly be out of the question. A dead weight player would end up going the other way with Enstrom. That deal might be the best NYR could expect from any team capable of taking on the monster salary.

dj4aces is offline   Reply With Quote