HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Watching Mats GYT (Game Year Thread)

Old
02-17-2009, 01:32 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by facey View Post
i think the canucks blueline is over-rated big time.... they were the benefactors of great goaltending and a great team system.

behind their net (the red-line), they are terrible.

Ohlund and Kevin are really really good... but mitchell and elder suck... they are give away machines.....i actually kinda like obrein.... salo is good for 30 games. ... no puck movers in that list though...
If the Leafs moved Kubina and / or Kaberle, for a veteran I wouldn't mind Ohlund.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 01:50 PM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

Don't know if it's been discussed, what is the consensus on whether Mats will be booed or cheered on Saturday?..

I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to spend the night doing...

Gobias Industries is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 01:52 PM
mapes

4 days until the return.. I work and will miss the first period though.. I'm pissed

mapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 02:32 PM
The Big Swede

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipToMyLucic View Post
Don't know if it's been discussed, what is the consensus on whether Mats will be booed or cheered on Saturday?..

I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to spend the night doing...
Definitely booed

Id be very surprised if he was cheered

The Big Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 11:04 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Swede View Post
Definitely booed

Id be very surprised if he was cheered
I know of two that will be cheering him, as he deserves to be.

I agree he probably will get boo'd.....the ACC like this place, doesn't check IQ's at the door.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 11:26 AM
Transplanted Caper

Gimour asked to be traded - was cheered upon his return
Sundin will likely be booed.

I still maintain, that while people aren't anti-Swedish, being Canadian sure gives guys like Gilmour a lot more cover than if they were European.

Transplanted Caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 11:55 AM
Cool Beans Man

I personally would be surprised if he was booed.

Cool Beans Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 01:02 PM
asdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToskaLOL View Post
Gimour asked to be traded - was cheered upon his return
Sundin will likely be booed.

I still maintain, that while people aren't anti-Swedish, being Canadian sure gives guys like Gilmour a lot more cover than if they were European.
My memory is probably fuzzy since it was so long ago but I don't recall the Gilmour thing being such a big deal. The team wasn't that good and needed a rebuild; Gilmour thought it was time to move on and it more mutual. The Leafs traded him and were able to get some nice pieces in return.

Sundin on the other hand was on a team that wasn't very good and needed a rebuild, but he prevented the team from trading him. I know it seems unfair that people would be angry when he technically didn't do anything wrong, but that's the way it goes.

I think he'll get a mixture of cheers and boos with more cheering than booing. In either case I don't think it's because of nationality or low intelligence or whatever. This is just what happens when players leave.

asdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 01:02 PM
facey

i really hope we are smart enough fans to cheer for him

such a bad impression to any future star.... how we treat our players is part of why we cannot attract good UFAs....lets treat him good, and show the future stars that we would/will treat them well.

facey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 01:10 PM
Transplanted Caper

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf View Post
My memory is probably fuzzy since it was so long ago but I don't recall the Gilmour thing being such a big deal. The team wasn't that good and needed a rebuild; Gilmour thought it was time to move on and it more mutual. The Leafs traded him and were able to get some nice pieces in return.

Sundin on the other hand was on a team that wasn't very good and needed a rebuild, but he prevented the team from trading him. I know it seems unfair that people would be angry when he technically didn't do anything wrong, but that's the way it goes.

I think he'll get a mixture of cheers and boos with more cheering than booing. In either case I don't think it's because of nationality or low intelligence or whatever. This is just what happens when players leave.

Gilmour asked to be traded, the Leafs wanted to sign him to an extension, at least that's what CBC said on his return a couple weeks back. I 100% believe that one of the factors people are willing to forigive and forget Gilmour is that he was Canadian, again, not an anti-Swedish thing, more a pro-Canadian one. He was provided some cover that wasn't available to Sundin.

Old
02-18-2009, 01:24 PM
asdf

Quote:
Gilmour asked to be traded, the Leafs wanted to sign him to an extension, at least that's what CBC said on his return a couple weeks back. I 100% believe that one of the factors people are willing to forigive and forget Gilmour is that he was Canadian, again, not an anti-Swedish thing, more a pro-Canadian one. He was provided some cover that wasn't available to Sundin.
Yeah, maybe that's what happened but I think the circumstances surrounding it are the reason there may not have been as much animosity. The team was mediocre and was able to trade Gilmour for some nice young pieces right as Gimour began to decline. If he had screwed over the team, like Vince Carter for example, maybe he would have been more hated.

And I don't think it's because Gilmour was Canadian but more because of his status after what he did in 1993 and 1994. Curtis Joseph got way way way more hate and he is Canadian.

asdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 01:36 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Plus he had a personal cheering section on HNiC who appeared weekly/weakly making everything 93 accomplished more than it was.

The split wasn't blown all out of proportion, although Wilbur had some less than flattering insight into who Gilmour was at the time.

So how many x-teammates showed up for Gilmour night?

Old
02-18-2009, 01:43 PM
Fabs

Few months ago I'd boo him myself. Time has made me indifferent to him, wouldn't cheer or boo.

He'll get booed I expect. Won't mind when it happens either.

Fabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 02:06 PM
Green13

Sundin was my favourite player and I watched him take over captainship in Toronto and I'd cheer him.

But he really screwed us with the whole "I dont want to be a rental"

I still wish we traded him for something

Green13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 07:46 PM
Transplanted Caper

No points for Sundin, but a 4-0 Vancouver lead over Ottawa in the 2nd.

Old
02-24-2009, 05:37 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

So how do you think you will be rooting for in the nucks v.s. habs game? So far as i have heard...Mats is gonna be booed at like a mad money especially for the money factor lol

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 07:21 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
So how do you think you will be rooting for in the nucks v.s. habs game? So far as i have heard...Mats is gonna be booed at like a mad money especially for the money factor lol
With the inmates running the asylum in Montreal, it is obvious Mats made the right choice.

Old
02-24-2009, 08:02 AM
Transplanted Caper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
With the inmates running the asylum in Montreal, it is obvious Mats made the right choice.
Good choice of analogy

Old
02-24-2009, 10:28 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
I think the playoffs will very easily determine was mats right in choicing the nucks...they literally both have the same W-L-OTL stats...

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote