HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The Official we don't need Briere thread

Old
02-24-2009, 11:51 AM
BigBanger

vCash: 500
I agree with pretty much everything Jester has said. Briere is way overhyped around here. You'd think he was Jesus Christ in the flesh if you went to the stadium and saw the sheer amount of Briere jerseys. I think that he is a valuable asset to most NHL teams, just not this one and is very expendable.

Crap boy you spill common sense..

BigBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 12:15 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Yes, ignore all the stats that prove you wrong.

Smart.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 01:09 PM
BigBanger

2007-08 PHI 79 31 41 72 -22 68 14 23 0 1 3 0 182 .170
2008-09 PHI 9 5 4 9 -3 10 2 2 0 0 0 0 22 .227
-22 in 79 games and -3 in 9 games those are also stats you cant ignore.

Old
02-24-2009, 01:11 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBanger View Post
2007-08 PHI 79 31 41 72 -22 68 14 23 0 1 3 0 182 .170
2008-09 PHI 9 5 4 9 -3 10 2 2 0 0 0 0 22 .227
-22 in 79 games and -3 in 9 games those are also stats you cant ignore.
+/- is such an overrated stat.

Kimmo Timonen was a even last season and he was by FAR our best defenseman last season even with Coburn being a +17
I usually dot get to worried about +/- much.

Last edited by GoneFullHextall: 02-24-2009 at 01:17 PM.
GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 01:18 PM
BigBanger

he also was a Minus 3 in playoff run last year, and your right it is overated stat if you are in Negatives all year.

Old
02-24-2009, 01:20 PM
BigBanger

Kimmo Timonen was a even last season and he was by FAR our best defenseman last season even with Coburn being a +17

Thats because #1 defense is out shorthanded most of time

Old
02-24-2009, 01:22 PM
orange and black48
BUTTHEAD!

Quote:
he also was a Minus 3 in playoff run last year, and your right it is overated stat if you are in Negatives all year.
okay so here is a good question, since you seem to not be a fan of him sticking around.

name someone who is more proven in the playoffs?

we can sit here and discuss the regular season all day (which when he is healthy has played well, maybe not 6 mill) but we play to win the cup and Danny has the most points of any player over the last 3 seasons in the playoffs. He helps carry teams.

orange and black48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 01:22 PM
BigBanger

Timmo was a plus 15 last year not to shabby considering he gets the tough tasks.

Old
02-24-2009, 01:27 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:

Thats because #1 defense is out shorthanded most of time
right. and how many shorties did the Flyers allow last season?
Look I am not saying he is good defensively.
when hes is healthy is a clutch offensive player. that is what he gets paid to do.

Old
02-24-2009, 01:28 PM
samistheman

briere may have some weaknesses when it comes to +/- but his power play abilities are something that is really missing on this team right now. stop concentrating on his +/-. we have richards and carter to shut down the other teams offense. thats not briere's job. asking briere to be a defensive forward is like asking parent to score more goals. the flyers need briere for a playoff run and will be better for having him on the team.

samistheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 01:31 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Timmo was a plus 15 last year not to shabby considering he gets the tough tasks.
Timonen was a even player last season.
Joe Corvo was a +17
Who would you rather have?

Old
02-24-2009, 01:36 PM
BigBanger

two out of three years he had some good Playoff numbers against east coast teams, including philly. he is just not my type of player that this team should build with. This is bigger faster NHL. IMHO

Old
02-24-2009, 01:43 PM
Opus

This thread is awesome sauce.

I can't believe were even debating the player that Briere is. He's a pretty gifted offensive talent, there is no denying it. So he's a little defensively challenged...big deal.

The only issue with Briere and the current makeup of the team (players and cap) is with the emergence of Richards and Carter...Briere (mainly his contract) has become (NTC aside) expendable.

Of course he makes the team better, anybody denying that needs to get their head examined.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 01:49 PM
EasyMac

Quote:
he is just not my type of player that this team should build with. This is bigger faster NHL. IMHO

I wouldn't say this is the bigger faster NHL, but rather the faster, more skilled NHL. And that is exactly the type of player Briere is.

I think the problem with Briere does not lie in Briere himself but rather in how the team tries to utilize him at even strength. His style of play doesn't match-up with our dump it into the corner and try to grind it out along the boards. What Stevens and the rest of the coaching staff should have done is looked thoroughly at Briere's last season in Buffalo, and try to match-up that style for whatever line Briere is on. If you are going to bring in a star player, you do have to adjust for their style of play that makes them the most successful.

EasyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 01:58 PM
BigBanger

I wouldn't say this is the bigger faster NHL, but rather the faster, more skilled NHL. And that is exactly the type of player Briere is.

Huh ?? look at jersey, san jose,washington ,ect are you kidding the league is bigger and faster if your not exceptionally strong like Parise the Gionta & brieres are having problems

The flyers score goals we give up way to many shots and we are defensive liability prime reason why we dont need this guy.

Old
02-24-2009, 02:07 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
two out of three years he had some good Playoff numbers against east coast teams, including philly. he is just not my type of player that this team should build with. This is bigger faster NHL. IMHO
gotchya
so if he was 6 foot 2, 220 pounds and mashed everything in sight you would be ok with his defensive liabilities.

Old
02-24-2009, 02:16 PM
EasyMac

Quote:
Huh ?? look at jersey, san jose,washington ,ect are you kidding the league is bigger and faster if your not exceptionally strong like Parise the Gionta & brieres are having problems

The flyers score goals we give up way to many shots and we are defensive liability prime reason why we dont need this guy.
I would say Briere is actually very strong and he is good at working his way to the front of the night and fighting for the puck. He isn't afraid of taking abuse to get himself where he needs to be. He is never going to lay out other players with big hits or anything, but I wouldn't call him weak or anything.

Plus, the problem with giving up too many shots and the team being a defensive liability does not lie at Briere's feet. It is the coaching staffs inability to set up a viable defensive system. By no means is Briere a good defensive player (and I would love to see him work on his positioning as he tends to leave his man too open) but I think that if the team learned to play well defensively, Briere's lack of defense can be covered.

EasyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 02:46 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
This thread is awesome sauce.

I can't believe were even debating the player that Briere is. He's a pretty gifted offensive talent, there is no denying it. So he's a little defensively challenged...big deal.

The only issue with Briere and the current makeup of the team (players and cap) is with the emergence of Richards and Carter...Briere (mainly his contract) has become (NTC aside) expendable.

Of course he makes the team better, anybody denying that needs to get their head examined.
Thanks, I understand your argument even if I don't totally agree with it, but it's better than some of the others on here.

I comprehensively posted stats that we haven't gotten better defensively without Briere, nobody has been able to post a satisfactory rebuttal yet.

Old
02-24-2009, 02:54 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

For this +/- argument, what's the team record with him playing this season, out of curiosity? What's the GF and GA?

Also, like I've mentioned a lot, +/- = overrated.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 03:12 PM
rayearth

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
For this +/- argument, what's the team record with him playing this season, out of curiosity? What's the GF and GA?

Also, like I've mentioned a lot, +/- = overrated.
How much can you even consider his numbers for this year anyway? He played the first 6 games of the year in which everybody played like crap and we went 0-3-3. He had 7 points and was a -3. He was then out for 2.5 weeks and played 2 games (in which he was most likely still hurting. 2 goals and was even. Team went 1-1. Then out for 3 weeks and came back for 1 game. 0 points, even, won in OT. Also, his last 2 games he only played a combined 18 minutes. Basically it doesn't mean **** for this year. I believe overall though, including PP, he's in the + for GF/GA.

rayearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 03:19 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayearth View Post
How much can you even consider his numbers for this year anyway? He played the first 6 games of the year in which everybody played like crap and we went 0-3-3. He had 7 points and was a -3. He was then out for 2.5 weeks and played 2 games (in which he was most likely still hurting. 2 goals and was even. Team went 1-1. Then out for 3 weeks and came back for 1 game. 0 points, even, won in OT. Also, his last 2 games he only played a combined 18 minutes. Basically it doesn't mean **** for this year. I believe overall though, including PP, he's in the + for GF/GA.
I totally agree. I just couldn't remember which games he played. Definitely, none of those games really "count" for him in my opinion either, so I don't know how people could really judge him off of this year's performance.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 03:27 PM
rayearth

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
I totally agree. I just couldn't remember which games he played. Definitely, none of those games really "count" for him in my opinion either, so I don't know how people could really judge him off of this year's performance.
Obviously, if he didn't get injured after game 6 we would have been winless thus far.

rayearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 03:39 PM
Opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Thanks, I understand your argument even if I don't totally agree with it, but it's better than some of the others on here.
Hey, no problem. I obvious don't think I speak for the group...at least the ones on the 'get rid of Briere' boat...but that was definately my thinking. Bottom line, if were not in a cap era in the NHL, I'd have ZERO issue with Briere being on this team.

Make sense?

Quote:
I comprehensively posted stats that we haven't gotten better defensively without Briere, nobody has been able to post a satisfactory rebuttal yet.
I can't help ya there, that's not my arguement.

Old
02-24-2009, 03:40 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
Hey, no problem. I obvious don't think I speak for the group...at least the ones on the 'get rid of Briere' boat...but that was definately my thinking. Bottom line, if were not in a cap era in the NHL, I'd have ZERO issue with Briere being on this team.

Make sense?

I can't help ya there, that's not my arguement.
Haha sorry I am trying to agree with you.

What I'm saying is that I respect your salary cap argument in regard to Danny, even if I don't really agree with it.

The problem is the people who go on about how Danny hurts the team when that's simply not true.

Old
02-24-2009, 03:43 PM
Opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Haha sorry I am trying to agree with you.

What I'm saying is that I respect your salary cap argument in regard to Danny, even if I don't really agree with it.
Yeah, I understand, no problem.

Quote:
The problem is the people who go on about how Danny hurts the team when that's simply not true.
I'm sure Jester will be here shortly, lol.