HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[OTT/NYI] Comrie & Campoli from NYI for McAmmond & SJ 2009 1st round pick

Old
02-22-2009, 03:02 PM
Kamina
Amok

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
questions on trade value:

What would you thought about this trade if it was McAmmond and Ott 2nd (10 spots lower than the 1st) for Comrie and Campoli?
What will you think if comrie doesnt resign in ottawa?
What will you think if comrie resigns in ottawa for 2.5-3M?
What will you think if comrie resigns in ottawa for around his current contract (4M)
1. Awesome.
2. ****.
3. Awesome.
4. ****.

Kamina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 03:30 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

so basically, we can say that:

a) murray paid what he had to. NYI would not have given up campoli for a pick 10 spots lower.

b) whether comrie resigns, and how much he signs for, makes or breaks this deal from an ottawa standpoint.

am i correct?

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 04:34 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:

a) murray paid what he had to. NYI would not have given up campoli for a pick 10 spots lower.

b) whether comrie resigns, and how much he signs for, makes or breaks this deal from an ottawa standpoint.

am i correct?
I would not agree with "B". Simply resigning Comrie neither suggests success or failure, IMO. If Campoli, alone, establishes himself as a reliable, top 4 dman on an improving Sens team in years to come, the deal was a success for them, regardless of Comrie's fate.

That is not to discount the potential impact of Comrie moving forward. But make no mistake: this deal was not made by Murray predicated on Comrie.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 04:38 PM
pattyb91
Twitter: @pattyb94

Send a message via AIM to pattyb91
Quote:

am i correct?
well on b, from what i've heard and belive comrie unless he totally turns it around is not the real point of this deal. Sure if he resigns its alittle nicer but Murray's main objective was Campoli and losing comrie ,atleast to Murray, wouldn't make a huge difference on how succesful this deal is for the sens.
IMO i think sens fans are overrating comrie in this deal.

pattyb91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 04:54 PM
TheHMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgoisles39 View Post
well on b, from what i've heard and belive comrie unless he totally turns it around is not the real point of this deal. Sure if he resigns its alittle nicer but Murray's main objective was Campoli and losing comrie ,atleast to Murray, wouldn't make a huge difference on how succesful this deal is for the sens.
IMO i think sens fans are overrating comrie in this deal.
One of the reasons why Senator fans are excited to have Comrie back is that he was one of the few players who could actually develop good chemistry with Mike Fisher. If he can manage that task, it would give Ottawa 2-3 effective scoring lines (Vermette can produce on the 3rd line).

TheHMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 05:33 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

If the Sens had called and offered the Isles a 6th rounder for Comrie, that would have gotten the deal done. So, don't look at him as the key to deal.

And, the Isles had no intention of giving him a new contract to the SENS could have signed him in the off season anyway. It is not like Comrie would have had a lot of suitors around the NHL, the way he was playing.

What you got is a good young dman. That is the main asset here.

02-22-2009, 06:34 PM
DEATHtrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
If the Sens had called and offered the Isles a 6th rounder for Comrie, that would have gotten the deal done. So, don't look at him as the key to deal.

And, the Isles had no intention of giving him a new contract to the SENS could have signed him in the off season anyway. It is not like Comrie would have had a lot of suitors around the NHL, the way he was playing.

What you got is a good young dman. That is the main asset here.
Agreed. Murray started his after trade press conference with the focus on Campoli. The rumour for a while has been Murray was looking for a young offensive Dman, like Kris Russel or Campoli, with a good contract and untapped upside.

The deal is essentially Campoli for the Shark 1st rounder. Comrie and Mcammond were more about money being moved around.

DEATHtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 08:53 PM
Zubrus Coffee Maker
Blinded by my Zubrus

campoli is a pretty good D and is young so this works pretty well for Ottawa

Zubrus Coffee Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 11:58 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2683...=headlines_nhl
Quote:
Comrie, who's earning $4 million this season, is also scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent in the summer, leading many to question why Ottawa would re-acquire him after he was allowed to walk away as a free agent in 2007 and fuelling speculation that he could be part of a further deal, but Murray and Comrie both said Monday he's likely to sign beyond this year.

''The discussion for the last while was if we brought him here, he would be very interested in staying,'' Murray said.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 12:07 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Campoli is only 24 and under contract for two more years.

I do like this deal for the Isles, but like it for the Sens too. It is a fair deal, and should help both sides.
The deal just screams of denial like a previous poster said. The Sens should be looking at trading for picks, not trading them away in a desperate attempt to finish 2nd last.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 12:18 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
The deal just screams of denial like a previous poster said. The Sens should be looking at trading for picks, not trading them away in a desperate attempt to finish 2nd last.
i dont get what it will take to get people to understand that this trade has absolutely nothing to do with the playoffs this year or trying to win games now. Murray's idea of rebuilding a team is not to pile up draft picks and wait 4 years. He has the personnel to win now, he just needs a few pieces. This trade gives him a very cheap, young defenceman that he has faith in. It also gives him a proven secondary scorer who had great chemistry with mike fisher in the past (and thats saying something, since we have been searching for someone to play with fisher since he got too good for schaeffer-fisher-neil). Murray is rebuilding through this trade, just not in the way most people think a rebuild goes, but that's okay. This isnt NYI or St. Louis, or LA where they had very little in terms of assets to start with.

Old
02-24-2009, 12:20 AM
HSF

Quote:
we still have our lottery pick but we arent relying on prospects to fill the roster next season. We need to do a quick retool like the Flyers and reload on prosects which we are set to do (JVR = lottery pick)

Missing the playoffs next year isnt an option the Sens dont need a rebuild

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 12:37 AM
redbull
movin'on up

this is likely the first of many moves to re-shape ottawa after some disappointing seasons. Campoli brings youth and some offense, probably will result in more moves on defense. Comrie, although I think he's a terrible player, had SOME success there and he was basically acquired for nothing

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 02:24 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

I totally disagree with you. As an Islanders fan, I am happy with the deal. But, the SENS got themself a 30 - 40 dman who is making less than a million a year. That is a heck of valuable commodity in today's NHL.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 05:55 AM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
I totally disagree with you. As an Islanders fan, I am happy with the deal. But, the SENS got themself a 30 - 40 dman who is making less than a million a year. That is a heck of valuable commodity in today's NHL.
Agreed. I also wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see Campoli play better in Ottawa than he did in LI.

Plus, the Sens, despite their record, still have the makeup of a win now team. Not this season, but in the next couple of seasons, they could easily be contenders. Campoli will be able to help them achieve that a lot more than a late first round pick would.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 07:21 AM
Kamina
Amok

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
Very good news. Hopefully it's for around 3 million. Murray's good with contracts and organizing his assets.

Kamina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 03:01 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Campoli won't be making less than a million a year for long, and given that their best player is 36 years old. This team will not contend next year despite what many think. It was evident from the time they started going downhill last year. This is their 4th coach in less than a year and none of them fixed the problem, the problem with the team is on the ice, not on the bench. Adding Campoli is not going to fix things overnight, and I highly doubt he will be a part of their longtime future given their organization strategy of win now. He will likely be a salary cap victim in a year or so while Murray decides to give his failing roster one last chance.

Old
02-24-2009, 03:03 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSF View Post
we still have our lottery pick but we arent relying on prospects to fill the roster next season. We need to do a quick retool like the Flyers and reload on prosects which we are set to do (JVR = lottery pick)

Missing the playoffs next year isnt an option the Sens dont need a rebuild
the difference between you and the Flyers is they already had a strong prospect playing in the nhl (Carter/Richards) and they traded away all their high priced guys for young talent and first rounders. The Flyers did not do a quick re-tool, they did a complete overhaul by dealing guys like Forsberg. The Sens equivalent would be dealing guys like Alfredsson and Heatley.

Old
02-24-2009, 03:31 PM
TheHMan

Quote:
Campoli won't be making less than a million a year for long, and given that their best player is 36 years old. This team will not contend next year despite what many think. It was evident from the time they started going downhill last year. This is their 4th coach in less than a year and none of them fixed the problem, the problem with the team is on the ice, not on the bench. Adding Campoli is not going to fix things overnight, and I highly doubt he will be a part of their longtime future given their organization strategy of win now. He will likely be a salary cap victim in a year or so while Murray decides to give his failing roster one last chance.
Oh give me a break. When you're carrying around dead weight contracts like Gerber and Redden, there's not a whole lot you can do to resolve the team's problems in a year or two.

If you want a quick and easy answer, John Muckler left this team is a mess with his poor drafting, and poor cap management. Heatley, Spezza and Fisher all had to be resigned while he left nothing in terms of NHL ready and capable prospects to step into the fold and contribute to the team.

You have to balance high paid contracts for the pieces you need with low paying rookie contracts to be successful. We had one, but not the other, however it should be noted that Campoli, and some of the players that will be available to Ottawa in the next couple years will help solve this problem. So dealing away Heatley and Spezza isn't necessary.

People don't see these things because they'd much rather skim over the issue than examine it closely. If you ask any Senator fan though, you'd know that the top line isn't the problem so there's no point in getting rid of it.

Old
02-24-2009, 04:03 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHMan View Post
People don't see these things because they'd much rather skim over the issue than examine it closely. If you ask any Senator fan though, you'd know that the top line isn't the problem so there's no point in getting rid of it.
If the salaries paid to your top liners prevent your GM from making other moves to improve the team then there is a point to moving one of the high priced guys. I don't know Ottawa's situation well enough to know if thats the truth or not but sometimes you're forced to move a good player just because he's making too much and that is handicapping your team.

Brad Richards is a perfect example. He was not what was wrong with the Lightning but they were handicapped from making any moves because of the salary that he, St. Louis, Lecavalier, etc were making and thus they had to move him.

Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 04:14 PM
TheHMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
If the salaries paid to your top liners prevent your GM from making other moves to improve the team then there is a point to moving one of the high priced guys. I don't know Ottawa's situation well enough to know if thats the truth or not but sometimes you're forced to move a good player just because he's making too much and that is handicapping your team.

Brad Richards is a perfect example. He was not what was wrong with the Lightning but they were handicapped from making any moves because of the salary that he, St. Louis, Lecavalier, etc were making and thus they had to move him.
I agree with this. It should be noted though, that having Wade Redden being paid 6.5 million and not playing like #1 Defenseman and having Martin Gerber being paid 3.7 million puts a damper on how effective Ottawa can be in free agency.

If you look at the roster chart and assume that Comrie is signed for 2.8-3.0 million, Ottawa has roughly 8 million dollars available to spend on a #1 Defenseman. We had some of that cap space available last year, but Murray wasn't able to acquire the pieces he wanted. I don't think that in itself suggests that Heatley or Spezza need to be moved though.

Old
02-24-2009, 04:25 PM
ConoR187

Send a message via AIM to ConoR187
have comrie or campoli played for the sens yet?

ConoR187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 04:30 PM
TheHMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConoR187 View Post
Yes Campoli got 2 assists, and Comrie played fairly well on the 2nd line.

Old
02-24-2009, 04:41 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConoR187 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHMan View Post
Yes Campoli got 2 assists, and Comrie played fairly well on the 2nd line.
in one game, i should add. A 5-3 loss to montreal, where the team showed up in the 2nd period.

Old
02-24-2009, 05:29 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Any insight into what's wrong... I mean, you could just read my sig... by I suspect you're looking for something deeper and more troubling with this team.

Our goaltending sucked balls last year, the defense fell apart in front of it and our GM horribly miscalculated what was wrong with the team last season (Murray - "Uh, character was the only problem last year... and uh, let's bring Gerber back again to lose his starting job for the 3rd year in a row." )
Now in fairness, that doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in whether Murray has his finger anywhere near the pulse of this team. But provided that the goaltending doesn't collapse next season, our coach can put together an NHL calibre breakout strategy and we get a veteran D-man to lead our offense... we can contend again next season.

Quote:
the difference between you and the Flyers is they already had a strong prospect playing in the nhl (Carter/Richards) and they traded away all their high priced guys for young talent and first rounders. The Flyers did not do a quick re-tool, they did a complete overhaul by dealing guys like Forsberg. The Sens equivalent would be dealing guys like Alfredsson and Heatley.
Philly's top players were much older, much more broken down and quickly becoming injury prone. Alfie is the only Sen over 35 or significantly over 30. Spezza, Heatley, Vermette, Fisher, Comrie, Volchenkov, etc are all under 30 yo. Do you have any idea what you are talking about? The situations are very different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
We have some 19 NHL'ers signed next season with only Elliott, possibly Comrie to sign with $10M in cap space remaining.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote