HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tom Renney and Perry Pearn Fired

Old
02-23-2009, 10:30 PM
mti79

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
What could you possibly hate about Betts?
That's what I was thinking.... the guys does his job, doesn't have a big contract and shows up to work every day... I don't get it..

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 10:42 PM
peanutbuttacallytime
#therightway

dont know if this entire Burnside article was posted already for but thoes who havent seen it check it out...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/column...ott&id=3929411

im all for this torts move but this article is a big downer...sather really has scr**d this team but good, ugh why cant dolan just fire him

peanutbuttacallytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 10:59 PM
In The Flesh

so Renney is NOT going to stay in the org.?? anyone know if thats certain or not or to early?

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 11:12 PM
rangers13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
What could you possibly hate about Betts?
idk to tell u the truth orr sjostrom i like betts i really hate.he wont be in the nhl if he wasnt with us he sucks

rangers13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 12:01 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers13 View Post
idk to tell u the truth orr sjostrom i like betts i really hate.he wont be in the nhl if he wasnt with us he sucks

Blair would most definitely be in the NHL if he wasn't a Ranger.

This isn't Ryan Hollweg we're talking about.

Just because he doesn't score that often in your video-game doesn't make him trash.

The only Ranger forward who gives a more consistent effort than Betts, is Callahan...

One of the only things working for the Rangers, is their PK. If our Special Teams had a captain, (like football) Betts would clearly be the man.

I wish the rest of our Rangers played with the same effort Betts does night in and night out.

.615 cap hit, and you hate the guy

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 12:18 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Blair Betts can easily have more goals than gomez with 3x times less in ice-time

Nuff said.

FromTheSide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 12:21 AM
EventHorizon
Bring Back Ties!

Quote:
I'd respond to that but I need someone to translate it into English first.

EventHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 12:51 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:

if someone votes Betts laziest/heartless in Fly's poll, I guess we will know who it is.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 02:31 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

just some thoughts. By the reaction of some posters, youd think Renney was diagnosed with cancer of the puppy rather than losing his head coaching job.

Ill go on record, Im HAPPY the guy is gone. Good bye, see you later, dont let the door hit you on the way out.

People are confusing his classy nature with his ability to coach, and I see a major distinction there.

In my personal opinion, Tom Renney was a HIGHLY overrated coach here who had rode the coat tails of Jaromir Jagr these past years. Without Jagr his complete ineptitude behind the bench really showed in spades.

Chart the Rangers success and youll see a 1:1 correlation to Jaromir Jagrs production.
3 years ago, Jagr goes ******* out of the gate, Rangers are in first place. Jagr comes back from the olympic break a little hurt from the hit from Ruutu, doesnt continue his torrid pace, Rangers start losing. Jagr gets hurt, Rangers get swept.

2 years ago, Jagr is "OK" for most of the season, and as a direct result, the Rangers are unable to do anything, they are spiraling out of control out of the playoff picture. Sean Avery is brought in, Jaromir Jagr suddenly starts to score again, and the Rangers claw back in and make the playoffs..barely, where they meet a green team that has never made the playoffs in their franchise history, that is immediately swept out. Rangers advance to the 2nd round, where they are dismissed by the Sabres in 6 games.

Next season Jaromir Jagr is completely unable to function with any of the players brought in, he is completely unable to be Jaromir Jagr. The Rangers plummet down the standings, till Jagr is united with Brandon Dubinsky and goes ******* again, on pace for 97 points during his time played with Dubinsky. The Rangers dispatch the Devils who badly outplayed the Rangers, but are unable to get past a red hot Lundqvist, and Brodeur is AWFUL between the pipes letting the Rangers get by, the Rangers play a Pittsburgh team that is far more than a 1 man show in Jagr, and are absolutely dominated by that team. In that span Renney manages to play Ryan Hollweg who takes one of the most boneheaded boarding penalties in the history of the game...which shouldnt be surprising considering Hollweg has already done this exact same thing 3 times during the actual season.

This season, no Jagr, and the Rangers are just a 1 man show. Renney is completely unable to do anything...because he has CONSISTENTLY been able to do NOTHING with the players he has been given. He depends on Lundqvist to win every game 1-0, Lundqvist plays damn near God-like with an inhuman start to the season, the Rangers rocket up the standings, but Lundqvist is unable to play like a god for more than a few weeks, and the cracks begin to show in Lundqvists armor. Rangers start to lose games, are unable to score, and there is no Jagr to bail them out. Lundqvist is still there to keep the games close, to get them to the shootout where he can dominate, but he can't put the puck in the net. Rangers start to spiral out of control. No Jagr there to save our *****.

Don't feel bad for Renney, feel bad for Jagr who was treated so badly by this organization on his way out when HE, and Henrik Lundqvist are the 2 sole reasons this franchise has pulled itself out of the decade of despair.

Save me your sanctimonious lectures about a man needing to feed his family. This is a business, and in business if you dont perform, you lose youre job end of story.

Renney has been given ample talent and ample opportunities to better the results that he has been given. Last season I said something I stand by now more than ever. No coach has ever gotten so little out of so much talent than Tom Renney did with last years team. Gomez, Drury, Straka, Dubinsky, Jagr, Shanahan, Avery, Prucha, Dawes, Callahan, Sjostrom, Betts, Orr....and yet we were 25th in the NHL in terms of offensive production. You can not seriously expect me to believe that there were 24 more "talented" teams out there than that group right there. Add to that Tyutin, Mara, Staal, Girardi, and whoever for that last spot, and you have a more than competent defensive backfield. That club should have ripped through the eastern conference. Im sorry but there is no excuses, NONE for those guys being unable to score.

And yet the excuses continued to mount, Renney doesnt have enough talent, ok lets get him talent, we still cant score, well Renney doesnt have enough leadership, ok lets get him leadership, ok well Renney had Jagr holding him back and doesnt have a roster hes comfortable with, ok lets get rid of Jagr and give him a team that he has 100% either had a hand in drafting, signing, or traded for. Ok, now Renney doesnt have enough talent again.

Say What?

Excuses, thats all the guy ever gets. Hes a nice guy so people want to pull punches with him. Thats unacceptable to me. Thats a loser mentality that can perpetuate itself for YEARS. Its why I was so sick and tired of hearing the Dominic Moore and Jed Ortemeyer apologists. Accepting mediocrity because a player (or coach) shows a lot of heart or class is absolutely unacceptable. I demand more. We have more talent on this team now than we did in Renneys first year.

Unquestionably, unequivocally this team is more talented than the one he had coming out of the lockout. Theres a reason that roster was picked to be dead last out of the gate. Nylander, Straka, Jagr, were all "past their primes" (same excuse i hear for Naslund and Shanahan), Rucinsky? are you kidding me?

We had a roster with Ryan Hollweg, Jason Ward, Blair Betts, Jed Ortmeyer, and Colton Orr for crying out loud. Dubinsky, Callahan, and Korpedo have more talent in their pinky fingers than those guys have combined. What we do not have now that we had then is Jaromir Jagr to hide all of coach Renneys deficiencies. Jagr loved Renney because Renney never told him what to do. With Renney it was always, here ya go Jagr, do what you gotta do! and we did.

It also showed when Kevin Weekes was in net just how bad that team was defensively as well. We would consistently get blown out in games he started because our defense wasnt all that great either.

2 man team. Never a great defense, never a great offense, just 2 great players playing out of their effing minds carrying this team on their backs. Get rid of 1/2 the equation, and the house of cards all comes crumbling down. Renney had to go, and IMHO they couldnt have picked a better man to replace him with. Tortarella is a guy who gets what it is to be an NHL coach, he gets accountability, he gets offensive game plans, he gets playing to your strengths. I dont expect miracles overnight, but I feel strongly that this club has taken one monumentally huge step forward today.

Last edited by Inferno: 02-24-2009 at 02:55 AM.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 03:33 AM
Cake or Death

vCash:
Inferno ... that is the best and most honest appraisal I have seen in a long time. I have not been happy with Renney the past three seasons, and for me it came to a head when Therrien coached absolute circles around Renney in the playoffs last year. Pitt looked so much more prepared and so much more on the same page.

I find Renney to be very likable, and the humane part of me does truly feel bad for the guy. But the part of me that felt this team under-performed that last few seasons really wanted someone else at the helm to start this season.

Old
02-24-2009, 04:26 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

woah inferno. and i thought that was a long post the first time you posted it.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 04:58 AM
nyrpassion
Vetted.

The players reactions:
http://www.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp?id=34563

It seem that they are dissapointed and didn't expect his. They keep saying that Renney is a good guy, which i'm sure he is. This is goin to be a really big change from a calm, nice Renney to Torts, they are in for a shock., which i hope will propell this team into the playoffs. Maybe a couple of changes too.

nyrpassion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 08:27 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
woah inferno. and i thought that was a long post the first time you posted it.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 08:31 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrpassion View Post
The players reactions:
http://www.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp?id=34563

It seem that they are dissapointed and didn't expect his. They keep saying that Renney is a good guy, which i'm sure he is. This is goin to be a really big change from a calm, nice Renney to Torts, they are in for a shock., which i hope will propell this team into the playoffs. Maybe a couple of changes too.
You dont get to the NHL without encountering this kind of coach before, so everyone has to knock off the theatrics with 'Ooooh they're in for a biiig surrrrprise !!!'

No, no they're not. They're pro hockey players, they know what to expect.

Being a total disciplinarian doesnt work. Being totally passive doesnt work either. I just hope Torts can be the guy who plays both sides, understands when and where is the time to use either one of these methods. Thats the coach I want.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 09:06 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Tortarella is a guy who gets what it is to be an NHL coach, he gets accountability, he gets offensive game plans, he gets playing to your strengths. I dont expect miracles overnight, but I feel strongly that this club has taken one monumentally huge step forward today.
Same thing again... You were excited at the beginning of this season as well. We all know what we got.

I can say the same thing about Torch you saying about Renney. He was everithing with and became nothing without Khabibulin. Once he got his team dismantled , his coaching genius disppeared and he was fired by Bolts for not making playoffs, not much of the difference. He failed to make a playoffs with BY FAR more talented team than current Rangers.

I don't think we made a move forward. We made a move sidewise. That is because Sather cannot go forward and is too embarrassed to go backward.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 09:13 AM
Jyrgen

Every drama aspect aside, not even considering the number of PPG I honestly can't wait to see the next 3-5 games. It will be exciting as hell although it might be disappointing in total.

Jyrgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 09:42 AM
Loffen
Cup mode: ON

Quote:
Post of the year.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 10:40 AM
Banks3rdLineCenter

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post

if someone votes Betts laziest/heartless in Fly's poll, I guess we will know who it is.
Nice avatar.

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 12:18 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
In my personal opinion, Tom Renney was a HIGHLY overrated coach here who had rode the coat tails of Jaromir Jagr these past years. Without Jagr his complete ineptitude behind the bench really showed in spades.
All that was proven without Jagr was that the team wasn't very good, which it wasn't, because the players weren't very good.

Quote:
Chart the Rangers success and youll see a 1:1 correlation to Jaromir Jagrs production.
This point only works against you. What it goes to show is this team's roster was never good, which it wasn't, and that without Jagr, Renney never had a chance. Not Renney's fault he's NEVER had a very good team to work with.

Quote:
Next season Jaromir Jagr is completely unable to function with any of the players brought in, he is completely unable to be Jaromir Jagr. The Rangers plummet down the standings, till Jagr is united with Brandon Dubinsky and goes ******* again, on pace for 97 points during his time played with Dubinsky. The Rangers dispatch the Devils who badly outplayed the Rangers, but are unable to get past a red hot Lundqvist, and Brodeur is AWFUL between the pipes letting the Rangers get by, the Rangers play a Pittsburgh team that is far more than a 1 man show in Jagr, and are absolutely dominated by that team. In that span Renney manages to play Ryan Hollweg who takes one of the most boneheaded boarding penalties in the history of the game...which shouldnt be surprising considering Hollweg has already done this exact same thing 3 times during the actual season.
I hate Hollweg and hated the amount of time he played just as much as the next guy, but don't forget, Gomez and Drury were Sather's acquisitions, not Renney's. And Renney was the guy that put Jagr with Dubinsky. So while he might have made the mistake of playing Hollweg (and let's be real, the Penguins won because the Penguins were the better team, roster-wise, not behind the bench), but they wouldn't have even made the playoffs if it wasn't for the Jagr-Dubi combo.

Quote:
This season, no Jagr, and the Rangers are just a 1 man show. Renney is completely unable to do anything...because he has CONSISTENTLY been able to do NOTHING with the players he has been given.
And what is going to happen when the same goes down with Tortorella? Maybe he consistently was unable to do nothing because the only consistent thing about this team since the lockout is that every season, other than 1-2 guys, the roster was pathetic.

Quote:
He depends on Lundqvist to win every game 1-0, Lundqvist plays damn near God-like with an inhuman start to the season, the Rangers rocket up the standings, but Lundqvist is unable to play like a god for more than a few weeks, and the cracks begin to show in Lundqvists armor. Rangers start to lose games, are unable to score, and there is no Jagr to bail them out. Lundqvist is still there to keep the games close, to get them to the shootout where he can dominate, but he can't put the puck in the net. Rangers start to spiral out of control. No Jagr there to save our *****.
And yet there is no proof anywhere that this is Renney's fault, rather than simply the reality of having a team with one of the worst groups of forwards in the NHL and a totally mediocre defense.

Quote:
Don't feel bad for Renney, feel bad for Jagr who was treated so badly by this organization on his way out when HE, and Henrik Lundqvist are the 2 sole reasons this franchise has pulled itself out of the decade of despair.
Jagr wanted a 2 or 3 year deal yet provided no guarantee that he was going to stay for the whole period of the contract. If they gave him three years, and he bolted to Omsk after the first, we'd have been responsible for that cap hit for the rest of his contract, whether he would be here or not. Not bringing Jagr back was all about financial implications. I'm not saying the moves made instead were good, they weren't, but bringing Jagr back wasn't the answer either. Rebuilding should have been the way to go, not bringing back Jagr OR signing other free agents.

Quote:
Save me your sanctimonious lectures about a man needing to feed his family. This is a business, and in business if you dont perform, you lose youre job end of story.
This is among the dumbest things I've ever heard in my life. Haven't you lived long enough to see the complete hypocracy of this statement? In pro sports, this might apply to coaches, but it doesn't often apply to players or GMs. If this statement had any validity, than Glen Sather would have lost his job before the lockout, and Drury, Redden, Gomez and a host of others would have been out the door already. This is a business where certain people aren't held to any level of accountability while others have to shoulder the blame for the mistakes of others. No one here cares about this man feeding his family, he probably has more money than any of us do. What I care about is the fact that a guy got fired even though all he did was make the most of a horrible situation, while the guy responsible for putting him in that situation, is still here.

Quote:
Renney has been given ample talent and ample opportunities to better the results that he has been given.
No, no he hasn't. He's been given nothing but role players, complimentary players or past-their-prime veterans. Most teams in the league have a better group of forwards than the Rangers do, and at least half the teams in the league have a better group of defensemen.

Quote:
Last season I said something I stand by now more than ever. No coach has ever gotten so little out of so much talent than Tom Renney did with last years team. Gomez, Drury, Straka, Dubinsky, Jagr, Shanahan, Avery, Prucha, Dawes, Callahan, Sjostrom, Betts, Orr....and yet we were 25th in the NHL in terms of offensive production. You can not seriously expect me to believe that there were 24 more "talented" teams out there than that group right there.
Gomez and Drury, two of the most overrated players in the league...Straka was done for, obviously his last hurrah was two seasons ago...Dubinsky had a great rookie season BECAUSE he was playing with Jagr, something neither Gomez or Drury could do. It's not Renney's fault Jagr was conserving his energy or whatever...Shanahan? Shanahan was being overused by Renney because Renney had no choice. Who else was he going to play? Avery, Prucha, Dawes, Callahan? WOW, a collection of third liners. Other than not playing Prucha on the power play, how else did Renney misuse any of these guys? Not his fault Dawes is inconsistent. I'd say Renney got quite a bit out of Avery and Callahan. You simply don't have a proper understanding of these players in correlation to where they stand compared to other players around the league if you think these names are enough to be better than what this team was last year. Just because these names are more impressive than Ortmeyer and Jason Ward doesn't make them all that great.

Quote:
Add to that Tyutin, Mara, Staal, Girardi, and whoever for that last spot, and you have a more than competent defensive backfield. That club should have ripped through the eastern conference. Im sorry but there is no excuses, NONE for those guys being unable to score.
Once again, an opinion I completely disagree with. A team with two rookies and Paul Mara, whose offensive game disappeared a long time before he came to the Rangers, and Tyutin, who never looked like anything special while he was on this team is going to blow through the Eastern Conference? Come on. Way to overrate your own players.

Quote:
And yet the excuses continued to mount, Renney doesnt have enough talent, ok lets get him talent, we still cant score, well Renney doesnt have enough leadership, ok lets get him leadership, ok well Renney had Jagr holding him back and doesnt have a roster hes comfortable with, ok lets get rid of Jagr and give him a team that he has 100% either had a hand in drafting, signing, or traded for. Ok, now Renney doesnt have enough talent again.
...except he never got the actual talent, so how were they supposed to score? Where is this talent? If you think that Gomez, Drury and over the hill Naslund are talent, than you don't understand what talent means in this league. These guys are hardly talent.

Quote:
Excuses, thats all the guy ever gets.
****** players, that's all the guy ever got.

Quote:
We have more talent on this team now than we did in Renneys first year.
Unquestionably, unequivocally this team is more talented than the one he had coming out of the lockout.
And yet not nearly enough talent to be a contender in the NHL today.

Quote:
Theres a reason that roster was picked to be dead last out of the gate. Nylander, Straka, Jagr, were all "past their primes" (same excuse i hear for Naslund and Shanahan), Rucinsky? are you kidding me?

We had a roster with Ryan Hollweg, Jason Ward, Blair Betts, Jed Ortmeyer, and Colton Orr for crying out loud. Dubinsky, Callahan, and Korpedo have more talent in their pinky fingers than those guys have combined. What we do not have now that we had then is Jaromir Jagr to hide all of coach Renneys deficiencies.
What we don't have now is Jagr to hide the deficiencies of the roster.

Quote:
Jagr loved Renney because Renney never told him what to do. With Renney it was always, here ya go Jagr, do what you gotta do! and we did.
So now Renney deserves blame for figuring out how to get the most out of his moody superstar that the entire league had given up on, for revitalizing the career of this player, for a couple of seasons. Yes, bad Renney! What were you thinking, Tom? Treating a prima donna like a prima donna.

Quote:
It also showed when Kevin Weekes was in net just how bad that team was defensively as well. We would consistently get blown out in games he started because our defense wasnt all that great either.
You're absolutely right. Our defense wasn't great. Maybe that's because the defensemen weren't great.

Quote:
2 man team. Never a great defense, never a great offense, just 2 great players playing out of their effing minds carrying this team on their backs. Get rid of 1/2 the equation, and the house of cards all comes crumbling down.
And how does this statement, which simply proves my point, that there were never any other players besides Jagr and Lundqvist here, lead to your next sentence? Where is the evidence to lead from one to the other?

Quote:
Renney had to go, and IMHO they couldnt have picked a better man to replace him with. Tortarella is a guy who gets what it is to be an NHL coach, he gets accountability, he gets offensive game plans, he gets playing to your strengths. I dont expect miracles overnight, but I feel strongly that this club has taken one monumentally huge step forward today.
And I feel strongly that unless Torterella has the ability to turn water into wine, or turn Wade Redden and Scott Gomez into Chris Pronger and Ryan Getzlaf, that, as almost all of the columns that have come out over the last day have said, Tortorella does nothing to fix the inherent problems facing this team: lack of talent.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 12:37 PM
Chris 84

Annoyed that we've lost Renney, I think he's done a very good job. Hopefully Torts does a better one.
Thanks Tom.

Chris 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 03:09 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
People are confusing his classy nature with his ability to coach, and I see a major distinction there.
could you explain it to me? you're clearly on another intellectual level.

Quote:
Without Jagr his complete ineptitude behind the bench really showed in spades.

I'd venture a guess that the production of most star players play a big role in the success of a team. just a hunch.

Thirty One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 03:31 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by peantbuttapruchatime View Post
dont know if this entire Burnside article was posted already for but thoes who havent seen it check it out...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/column...ott&id=3929411

im all for this torts move but this article is a big downer...sather really has scr**d this team but good, ugh why cant dolan just fire him
Don't let that column burst your bubble.

Burnside is a tool.It's the same article written by Ken Campbell and Mike Brophy.

Burnside wrote the Rangers lack top end youth in their system?

LeBrun is the brains in the ESPN family of hockey writers.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote