HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Minnesota-Flyers

Old
02-22-2009, 05:06 PM
TheKingSlayer
He was in the way!

vCash: 500
yeah there is no way Backstrom who is UFA will garner a Mike Richards or a Jeff Carter.. the only player who is good enough for Carter is Kaberle

TheKingSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 10:10 PM
TheKingSlayer
He was in the way!

is there seriously that lack of interest in this trade? is it that bad... from initial looks people were not that opposed to it.... I still think it's a possibility (biased or not) this could work.

Old
02-22-2009, 10:33 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
It's not going to work because you have too many players involved who aren't going to get traded.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 11:18 PM
llp

Why do the Wild do this? I realize Briere is a great great player, but he's just not the kind of player the Wild right now. What they really need is a scoring winger or two, but at least a top line one for Koivu.

I just don't think trading away our #1 defencive defenceman in Johnsson, and our starting goalie for a good player that doesn't fit the team at all right now.

llp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 07:20 AM
projexns
Welcome Back Jets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundin is my hero View Post
is there seriously that lack of interest in this trade? is it that bad... from initial looks people were not that opposed to it.... I still think it's a possibility (biased or not) this could work.
I think Wild fans have another message board that they post on, so there's not that much activity and input from that fan-base.

Very low profile, like their team, who quietly beat Detroit and Chicago back-to-back on the weekend............

projexns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 10:26 AM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by projexns View Post
I think Wild fans have another message board that they post on, so there's not that much activity and input from that fan-base.

Very low profile, like their team, who quietly beat Detroit and Chicago back-to-back on the weekend............
Most Wild fans post on their own team message board, and it is quite active.

This trade is just terrible for the Wild. They laugh a walk away. Breaking down this trade:

Wild gives up
-Their #1 goalie going into the playoffs (Backstrom)
-Their #1 overall Dman going into the playoffs (Johnsson)
-One of the most underrated, defensive centers in the league (Belanger)
-Conditional 2nd

Philly Gives up
-Overpaid, undersized, often-injured center who has been asbent from Philly anyways (Briere)
-A 2A goalie
-2nd rounder
-Nodl
-Conditional 1st

Definitely a one-sided deal. Philly gives up nothing that would hurt them. The Wild destroy their core. Brilliant.

Last edited by nickschultzfan: 02-23-2009 at 02:28 PM.
nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 01:37 PM
captainpaxil

i think backstrom would get tired of being shelled in philly really fast so he woulnt resign here either which makes this deal a huge overpayment. beyond that philly is not just giving up the conditional 1st they also give up the best player in briere. i just dont see any reason for philly to do it.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 01:45 PM
COMCASTMONEY
pay ya cable bills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun View Post
Briere = Johnsson
Offer every GM in the entire NHL Briere or Johnsson at their current contracts and, I swear to God, none of them will take Johnsson.

COMCASTMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 02:26 PM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilliam Shakesbeer View Post
Offer every GM in the entire NHL Briere or Johnsson at their current contracts and, I swear to God, none of them will take Johnsson.
Do you even watch hockey? Or do you just look at stats to guess at how good players are?

Johnsson is hands down the best all-around defender on the Wild, one of the best defensive unit in the league.

He doesn't get a ton of points anymore because he doesn't get much PP time, but there is not too many dmen in the NHL who combine his amazing defensive play with skillful puck moving.

His contract was a bit much when the Wild first signed him, but now there is no way in hell they trade him. He's the linch-pin of the entire defensive unit.

Old
02-23-2009, 02:32 PM
duffy9748

Johnsson played in philadelphia for 4 or 5 years. We know he is a good defensemen. He still though would not fetch briere in a trade.

duffy9748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 02:33 PM
COMCASTMONEY
pay ya cable bills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Do you even watch hockey? Or do you just look at stats to guess at how good players are?

Johnsson is hands down the best all-around defender on the Wild, one of the best defensive unit in the league.

He doesn't get a ton of points anymore because he doesn't get much PP time, but there is not too many dmen in the NHL who combine his amazing defensive play with skillful puck moving.

His contract was a bit much when the Wild first signed him, but now there is no way in hell they trade him. He's the linch-pin of the entire defensive unit.
Unless, at age 30 when he became a member of the Wild he improved drastically, I know Kim Johnsson pretty ****ing well. I watched him for the first 6 years of his career in NY and Philly. Anyway, at this point he's older than Briere, a PPG center and proven playoff performer.

COMCASTMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 02:49 PM
iceless
-`ღ-

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyforhockey View Post
If Backstrom is avaliable at the trade deadline,even though he is a UFA,Phi will have to look at Carter or Richards in the deal-imo........too expensive for Phi then.

Reason is backstrom has been one of the top goalies in the last couple of years,he's young and premium goalies are expensive...........if they dont resign him,he'll more likely go before July 1st deadline.........They could trade him to Ott for one of their big guns,with a conditional pick going the other way (in case they dont sign him).Ott takes a gamble but finally gets a top notch goalie.
You can thank Lemaire's system for Backstrom's microscopic GAA. However, this does NOT take away from the fact that he is still a very good goaltender. Top 6 for sure. Top 3? Nope.

Also, there isn't a chance in h*** that PHI trades Carter or Richards.

iceless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 03:19 PM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilliam Shakesbeer View Post
Unless, at age 30 when he became a member of the Wild he improved drastically, I know Kim Johnsson pretty ****ing well. I watched him for the first 6 years of his career in NY and Philly. Anyway, at this point he's older than Briere, a PPG center and proven playoff performer.
Good. Then we are in an agreement. You keep Briere. We keep Johnsson. Everybody is happy.

Old
02-23-2009, 03:51 PM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:

Philly Gives up
-Overpaid, undersized, often-injured center who has been asbent from Philly anyways (Briere)

I'll debate most of the elements of this with you anyday.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 05:16 PM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
I'll debate most of the elements of this with you anyday.
Don't bother. Even if I conceded each and every point to you, it still wouldn't matter.

Any Wild trade for a top-6 forward will involve a player coming back that would compliment Bouchard. That's not Briere.

It would be suicide to play Bouchard and Briere on the same line unless Owen Nolan found a time-machine - which is not going to happen any time soon.

Old
02-23-2009, 06:32 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
essentially what it comes down to, irregardless of your stance on the overall value of one teams group of players/picks vs. the other, is exactly what nickshultzfan said: sure, briere is good, but we don't need a guy like that. he simply doesn't add enough offense (especially considering our lack of finishers at the moment) to offset what we'd be losing in the defensive end in Johnsson and Backs. Briere is no replacement for gaborik; keep in mind we'll need that money when it's shopping time.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 06:35 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Quote:

I don't think it's a shot at Johnsson. I think it's a shot at the people who run around here about how the Flyers are desparetly trying to get rid of Briere, when it's the exact opposite.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 06:35 PM
BigT2002

I don't want Briere anywhere near my team. Give me ppl on the wing

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 09:35 PM
North Metro Peewees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonkers View Post
Why is it that they can't sign Backstrom? I see many claim so but what is the basis of that?
In a nutshell Backstrom wants Luongo, Broudeur $$$. The Wild right or wrong feels he benefits from playing within the JL style of game. Hence the Wild are believed to be willing to offer 4-4.5m per year and Backstrom supposedly wants around 6m.

Besides the Wild need scoring wingers and have what they believe are two #1 goalies and can deal one for wingers.

North Metro Peewees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 09:36 PM
Teppo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP Mites View Post
In a nutshell Backstrom wants Luongo, Broudeur $$$. The Wild right or wrong feels he benefits from playing within the JL style of game. Hence the Wild are believed to be willing to offer 4-4.5m per year and Backstrom supposedly wants around 6m.

Besides the Wild need scoring wingers and have what they believe are two #1 goalies and can deal one for wingers.
BP Mites: Do you have inside sources on that info, or are you going by media reports/educated guess?

Teppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 10:07 PM
Mike Richards 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP Mites View Post

is there a link for his salary wants?? i would love give Harding a chance but idk what you would expect in return for him.

Mike Richards 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 10:17 PM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teppo View Post
BP Mites: Do you have inside sources on that info, or are you going by media reports/educated guess?
BP Mites is 100 percent speculating.

Every report seems to suggest Backstrom wants to stay for a reasonable contract.

Unfortunately, Gaborik has had a direct effect on Backstrom's negotiations. The Wild can't make the decision between Backstrom vs. Harding until Gaborik's situation is resolved, one way or the other.

Besides, the Wild won't move either at the deadline unless they get an offer they can't pass up. The Wild will want to have two healthy, good goalies down the stretch.

After the season, Backstrom's rights will be traded or Harding will be moved at the draft.

Old
02-24-2009, 04:47 PM
TheKingSlayer
He was in the way!

Well if nobody is interested in briere, how about taking Lupul instead, and upgrading that 2nd to a first regardless if Backstrom re-signs,, so it would be Biron, Lupul, Jones and a 1st for Backstrom, Belanger and Johnsson.

Old
02-24-2009, 04:48 PM
Mike Richards 18

Quote:
Well if nobody is interested in briere, how about taking Lupul instead, and upgrading that 2nd to a first regardless if Backstrom re-signs,, so it would be Biron, Lupul, Jones and a 1st for Backstrom, Belanger and Johnsson.
OK done deal

Mike Richards 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 04:55 PM
Pyke*

Quote:
Briere has a NTC.

It doesn't seem like a bad trade, though I think the Wild lose it.

Pyke* is offline   Reply With Quote