HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sk74

Old
02-24-2009, 10:15 PM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

vCash: 500
Why is he given so much flack yet Mr. 15pts (well now 16pts) in 36 games, Higgins isn't?

Who got more time on the PP and 1st line? Higgins.

Who is drastically less talented? Higgins.

Who is in Hamilton instead of D'Agostini? SKost.

I'm not Erika and I was frustrated by Skosts' play but tonight and every other night the line that has Higgins and D'Agostini is by far the weakest one. Why isn't D'Agostini demoted yet?

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 10:18 PM
JrHockeyFan

Yep if you don't score in 2 games in the AHL you are finished

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 10:24 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkiness View Post
Why is he given so much flack yet Mr. 15pts (well now 16pts) in 36 games, Higgins isn't?

I'm not Erika and I was frustrated by Skosts' play but tonight and every other night the line that has Higgins and D'Agostini is by far the weakest one. Why isn't D'Agostini demoted yet?
D'agostini could be demoted. But S.Kost should stay in Hamilton for the time being, anyway.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 08:11 AM
Evil Ted

Quote:

Its not the statistical areas that stand up its the work ethic the attitude on and off the ice.

It was said by Carbo way earlier this season that Sergei need to work harder and to stop thinking he was a regular or a vetran.

Higgins and D'Agostini both give better efforts on the ice then Sergei you just have to watch the habs to know that. Couple that with Carbos respect for grinders/workers you got Sergei in the AHL.

It should have happend a long time ago him being sent down.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 09:12 AM
zurg999

Quote:

D'Ago will go down when Tanguay returns (expected) .

SKost has been banished because of off ice behaviour (unexpected) coupled with inconsistency on the ice (expected).

Higgins is a beast and a far more effective hockey player at this point in time (also expected).

Are you sure you're not Erika?

zurg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 11:31 AM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurg999 View Post

SKost has been banished because of off ice behaviour (unexpected) coupled with inconsistency on the ice (expected).

Higgins is a beast and a far more effective hockey player at this point in time (also expected).

Are you sure you're not blind?

Old
02-25-2009, 11:59 AM
LeMAD

Higgins is not a beast, he's pretty average, but he's still more effective than SK.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 12:04 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:

Most probably because he's the only one that can play on the pp with a right hand shot especially on the 5 on 3 like he did against Toronto couple of games ago.

However he does hit,skates hard and does some little things that this year anyways Sergei is not willing to do and right now I would rather leave it like this with D'agostini up and Sergei in Hamilton

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 12:11 PM
x-bob

Quote:
I have to agree with him. Higgins has been playing better then S. Kostitsyn in my opinon.

x-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 12:25 PM
Pr3Va1L

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Welcome to bi-polar habland. I can rememer the flack around here when Komisarek was first call up, A.Kostitsyn was called a bust more times then I can count since other draft picks were in the nhl and successful quicker (granted a Getzlaf or several others would look great in the Habs sweater right about now) Price was a god around here until lately, O'Byrne was crap after scoring a goal into his own net, Latendresse gets a ton of flack for not developing quicker and being a fatty-fat-fatfat yet he's just turned/ing 22, I can go on and on.

The thing I try to say to people is to relax, development is not always a straight line and for some there will be ups and downs, you have to work through them and while it's true that some will end up busting, give it time to see how they do. I know that's asking a lot for a rabid fan base that is in win now mode but I trust that Timmins/Gainey and the staff know what they are doing and are building not only for now but for the future.

Either way you can't blame Timmins for that! Wasen't Andrei supposed to be drafter 1st that year if it hadn't been for hie epilepsy?

Pr3Va1L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 12:27 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
No you must be right, I mean what does Carbo and Gainey know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr3Va1L View Post
Either way you can't blame Timmins for that! Wasen't Andrei supposed to be drafter 1st that year if it hadn't been for hie epilepsy?
I don't follow. I never bashed Kostitsyn as I usually never bash our players. I do try and point out the good and bad but I also try to be rational and logical, so I was saying the bi-polar Hab fans around here tend to do that, not me.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 01:30 PM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
No you must be right, I mean what does Carbo and Gainey know.
I support both of them, even when 90% of the board was screaming for their heads. I understand management decisions and even "the intangibles".

Higgins is roughly equal to Sergei at this point in terms of ability. Sergei is a GREAT passer, Higgins treats the puck like a landmine.

My only gripe isn't that Higgins isn't traded (he's a solid 3rd liner) it's that he's given 1st line TOI, PP time and is NEVER given half the flack that Sergei gets from the fans/press. Sergei has been ineffective this year and deserved the demotion, but if that is the case Higgins doesn't deserve all of his TOI.

Either they both get "punished" or neither of them. I dislike the fact that Higgins and Dagger are given a free pass because of their past acheivments (in Daggers case it's his 5g/6games trick which since then he's done nothing).

Old
02-25-2009, 01:45 PM
zurg999

Quote:
I can see well enough to have managed to follow both Higgins and SKosts progression in Hamilton (in person) and Montreal (every TV game) over the last 4 years. In other words, just well enough to discern when someone has no idea what they're talking about.

You're obviosuly one of those who measures a player contribution by points. That's not good enough.

Old
02-25-2009, 01:53 PM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Quote:
I can see well enough to have managed to follow both Higgins and SKosts progression in Hamilton (in person) and Montreal (every TV game) over the last 4 years. In other words, just well enough to discern when someone has no idea what they're talking about.

You're obviosuly one of those who measures a player contribution by points. That's not good enough.
This is the second time someone on HFboards claims someone else "isn't as big a fan". I'm a fan, I watch 90% of the game and 10% of the highlights if I miss em. I'm not here to flash my credentials.

My point is that Higgins still gets PP time and 1st line time while Sergei gets demoted. It doesn't fit.

Old
02-25-2009, 02:05 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:

Well if you followed Higgins' and Skosts progression as closely as you did Chipchura's, then you can't really blame us for not taking your reports seriously.

Higgins is a beast. Haha. Funny.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 02:05 PM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
This is the second time someone on HFboards claims someone else "isn't as big a fan". I'm a fan, I watch 90% of the game and 10% of the highlights if I miss em. I'm not here to flash my credentials.

My point is that Higgins still gets PP time and 1st line time while Sergei gets demoted. It doesn't fit.
Yes, it does. Higgins puts in an effort. He is a lot more mature than Sergei is. Sergei still has some growing up to do. Higgins is quick, strong along the boards, and, at the minimum, will always make a decent play rather than a bad one. That's more that you can say for Sergei.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 02:29 PM
zurg999

Quote:
Originally Posted by visorwearinghockey View Post
Well if you followed Higgins' and Skosts progression as closely as you did Chipchura's, then you can't really blame us for not taking your reports seriously.

Higgins is a beast. Haha. Funny.
Hi. What are you talking about?

Old
02-25-2009, 02:30 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:

D'ago wont be sent down.. he'll be given at least a few games with Tanguay/Koivu to see if they can find their awesomeness again.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 03:32 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
I support both of them, even when 90% of the board was screaming for their heads. I understand management decisions and even "the intangibles".

Higgins is roughly equal to Sergei at this point in terms of ability. Sergei is a GREAT passer, Higgins treats the puck like a landmine.

My only gripe isn't that Higgins isn't traded (he's a solid 3rd liner) it's that he's given 1st line TOI, PP time and is NEVER given half the flack that Sergei gets from the fans/press. Sergei has been ineffective this year and deserved the demotion, but if that is the case Higgins doesn't deserve all of his TOI.

Either they both get "punished" or neither of them. I dislike the fact that Higgins and Dagger are given a free pass because of their past acheivments (in Daggers case it's his 5g/6games trick which since then he's done nothing).
Higgins was 3rd on the team in goals last year, so I'd say he's shown he's ahead of S.Kostitsyn, injuries have hampered him this year. Higgins treats the puck like a landmine sounds like fanboy emo crap. Yea he's not the most gifted with the puck, yet only 2 players had more goals then him last year. Go figure.

As for 1st line ice time, Kovalev, Pleks, Koivu and Lang all average more ice time then Higgins this year, Higgins is getting 16:35 minutes a game total, not really 1st line ice time I'd say. As for him getting PP, why wouldn't he, again 27 goals last year is a good start. As for Higgins getting flack, he gets a lot around here as he's having a bad year, but I would suspect that he gets less flack then Kostitsyn because he clearly works harder then the 21 year old that is playing in his first full season.

As for getting a free pass, it's really easy, Carbo and I'm willing to be most coaches, will reward the player that works hard vs the player that doesn't. In D'Agostini's case, take a look at the roster and see how many right handed shots we have at forward, that should help.

Quote:
Higgins doesn't get 1st line ice time, Higgins has shown in the past he can be counted on to score goals, S.Kostitsyn is still finding his way, so ya it does fit at least to me.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 04:57 PM
Beakermania*

Not even good enough for the AHL.... send him to the ECHL.

Surely he can produce in Cincinatti??

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 05:23 PM
dd

Each player should be evaluated separately and not necessarily compared to another with a different style. The team is made up of many parts, with different roles. If we had all supremely gifted scorers, results would be disappointing, likewise if we had an amazing defense. When the Habs play together on the same page, they win.
SK will never be Higgins and vice versa. Key is for the players to focus on hockey when on the ice, and play their role.
Was SK doing that? Kovalev was given a few games off, Price is watching from the bench, Laracque has been scratched, all because they are not playing their parts.

dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 05:36 PM
CORPSMORT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
http://www.remedynightclub.com/

Come find your cure.

i heard they dont allow pre-teen on hamilton's bars..

CORPSMORT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 06:06 PM
Rock On

At least, he plays his part :

Rock On is offline   Reply With Quote