HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[OTT/NYI] Comrie & Campoli from NYI for McAmmond & SJ 2009 1st round pick

Old
02-24-2009, 06:00 PM
Wondercarrot
Classless

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Campoli won't be making less than a million a year for long, and given that their best player is 36 years old. This team will not contend next year despite what many think. It was evident from the time they started going downhill last year. This is their 4th coach in less than a year and none of them fixed the problem, the problem with the team is on the ice, not on the bench. Adding Campoli is not going to fix things overnight, and I highly doubt he will be a part of their longtime future given their organization strategy of win now. He will likely be a salary cap victim in a year or so while Murray decides to give his failing roster one last chance.

while i am sure you think you know what you're talking about - you do not.
Why does everything have to be an either or with people.

Murray is buying and Murray is selling. They are not mutually exclusive.
The most important thing is that Murray is building, and Campoli is a very cap friendly piece.
We are going to have a pile of picks in this years draft anyway and we've added a guy who can play and help our team in the #4 spot on D - sounds good to me.
Add to that we've taken our time with a number of our prospects who are now becoming NHL ready and i have absolutely no problem with the direction of this team.

oh, and we'll have lots of cap space as well as 3 star players signed longterm.
This past calendar year has been an abberation and the Sens will be back near the top of the league next year or the year after.

Wondercarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 08:54 PM
HSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
the difference between you and the Flyers is they already had a strong prospect playing in the nhl (Carter/Richards) and they traded away all their high priced guys for young talent and first rounders. The Flyers did not do a quick re-tool, they did a complete overhaul by dealing guys like Forsberg. The Sens equivalent would be dealing guys like Alfredsson and Heatley.
ya and we have Spezza and Heatley... what is you point?

you seem to think Spezza and Heatley are old bags?

Alfie is 36 yes, but the guy is a beast, we dont have one "best" player we have threee

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 08:55 PM
HSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConoR187 View Post
have comrie or campoli played for the sens yet?
Campoli has had 3 assists in 2 games

Comrie got a goal tonight in his second game

Old
02-24-2009, 09:21 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSF View Post

Comrie got a goal tonight in his second game
Good for them and good for the Sens.

Hopefully, NYI sees a tangible return on the draft pick they acquired, though we won't know for years.

For that is the express purpose of a trade: both teams "win," to borrow that overly-simplistic term.

Last edited by Trottier: 02-24-2009 at 09:42 PM.
Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 09:38 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post

Hopefully, NYI sees a tangible return on the draft pick they required, though we won't know for years.

For that is the express purpose of a trade: both teams "win," to borrow that overly-simplistic term.
i know, i dont understand all the criticisms of the sens. We cant wait 3-5 years for a draft pick to develop, and thats how long a late first usually takes. It fits in very well with the isles timeline, but we have to win in the next 3 years (alfie years).

Comrie and campoli seem to be having a good start on the new team, and it seems both will be back next year. I see no reason why this cant be as win-win as previous senators trades (salo-schaeffer, hossa-heatley)

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 09:44 PM
HSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post

Hopefully, NYI sees a tangible return on the draft pick they acquired, though we won't know for years.

yup seems like a good deal for both teams, and both teams got what they were loooking for

Old
02-24-2009, 10:04 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSF View Post
Figures we trade him he goes on to become Bobby Orr elsewhere. Honestly though with the talent in Ottawa I can see him getting 40-50 points next season

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 10:28 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
Figures we trade him he goes on to become Bobby Orr elsewhere. Honestly though with the talent in Ottawa I can see him getting 40-50 points next season
hopefully he doesnt do that well, or that 600K will become 4M very fast.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 10:39 PM
The Expert
Registered Expert

I'm really thinking more and more that this is one of those deals that's good for both teams, which is good since it's hard to hate the Islanders.

Campoli is a young, offensive defenseman, who seems to be fitting in with Ottawa. He has his faults, but novody expects him to be top pairing. I'm a big fan of Comrie, and was pissed we didn't re-sign him in 07. Regardless of his play on the Isle, he'll help out with the lack of secondary scoring, hopefully Murray will re-sign him.

The Isles knew what they got, and they got it (a first round pick). McAmmond was likely more of an afterthought, Murray likely wanting to throw him in to clear up a roster spot, Snow likely not having a problem bringing in a cheap veteran.

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 01:29 AM
SilverSeven

Anyone who thinks this deal was made for Ottawa THIS YEAR is insane. This is a move for next year.

A pick is fairly useless to us. Especially a pick that ends up in a 4th liner 8 times out of 10. We cant wait around for 5 years to have Patrick Eaves on our 3rd line. Campoli and Comrie are worth far more to us than that.

The pick is worth far more to the Isles because they CAN wait 5 years.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 09:06 AM
GilliesGirlie

Glad to see things are working out for Campoli, I was sad to see him go.

Comrie? Good for him, but I was happy to see him go

Old
02-25-2009, 11:05 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
Anyone who thinks this deal was made for Ottawa THIS YEAR is insane. This is a move for next year.
Heck, I'd go so far as to say, the move was made for the rest of this season and even more so for next season.

Quote:
A pick is fairly useless to us. Especially a pick that ends up in a 4th liner 8 times out of 10. We cant wait around for 5 years to have Patrick Eaves on our 3rd line. Campoli and Comrie are worth far more to us than that.
It'll be good to see if this ends up being the case. I'd love to see Camps be a 40 point Dman and a + player, one who of course doesn't do anything when OTT plays AGAINST the Islanders.

Comrie might be resigned and honestly, he's not more than 1.5 million per at this point.

Quote:
The pick is worth far more to the Isles because they CAN wait 5 years.
That's right, we can wait. Still, lovely for us knowing that, if the pick isn't traded, there will be any number of guys (for example, Rundblad, Shore, Palmieri, De Haan) who might very well be there, picked and playing within two or three years.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 11:49 AM
TheWeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post

I've seen this sentiment a couple of times in this thread. Just out of curiosity, why can't the Sens wait for a late 1st pick to develop into an NHL player?

Is there some reason that success of the team in 2009/2010 is much more important than success of the team in 2013/2014?

TheWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 11:59 AM
Human Megaphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWeb View Post
I've seen this sentiment a couple of times in this thread. Just out of curiosity, why can't the Sens wait for a late 1st pick to develop into an NHL player?

Is there some reason that success of the team in 2009/2010 is much more important than success of the team in 2013/2014?
The Sens core is signed right now. They have a couple of years left with Alfie before they start losing big pieces of that core. As such, it's more realistic to think that they would succeed in 2009+ than 2014.

Human Megaphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 12:09 PM
TheWeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Megaphone View Post
The Sens core is signed right now. They have a couple of years left with Alfie before they start losing big pieces of that core. As such, it's more realistic to think that they would succeed in 2009+ than 2014.
Fair enough, but the counter argument is that they need to be drafting the "next core" now, so that they actually can ice a competitive team when the "current core" is too old or departed.

Note that I am generally in favor of the Campoli trade, mostly because of his youth and skillset.

But I think it's a dangerous mindset for a fanbase to adopt; that the team (esp one that is not even making the playoffs) needs to sacrifice the future to bolster the chances for an (unlikely) playoff run NEXT YEAR.

See the Toronto Maple Leafs situation from 2005 - 2008 for an example of what can happen under these circumstances.

TheWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 02:31 PM
HSF

Quote:
Fair enough, but the counter argument is that they need to be drafting the "next core" now, so that they actually can ice a competitive team when the "current core" is too old or departed.

Note that I am generally in favor of the Campoli trade, mostly because of his youth and skillset.

But I think it's a dangerous mindset for a fanbase to adopt; that the team (esp one that is not even making the playoffs) needs to sacrifice the future to bolster the chances for an (unlikely) playoff run NEXT YEAR.

See the Toronto Maple Leafs situation from 2005 - 2008 for an example of what can happen under these circumstances.
ok please just stop, the leafs got into trouble BECAUSE they traded away their ONLY first round picks for some time and even when they drafted a good pick (Brad Boyes) they traded him away.

You seem to think Ottawa doesnt have a first rounder at all, WHICH IS NOT THE CASE... we will most likely have a top 10 pick and if we draft a good player in the next five years we will be just fine.

at the end of the day we have a top 10 pick maybe top 5 AND Campoli who is 24, that is a pretty good deal since we are looking at both present and future

Old
02-25-2009, 02:58 PM
TheHMan

Quote:

Ottawa generally keeps it's first round picks. We've drafted Eaves, O'Brien and Foligno very late in the first round, so it's not like we've "thrown away" 1st rounders year after year.

However, if you want to touch on that note then you also have to acknowledge the fact that John Muckler was a terrible GM when it came to managing the future. He consistently traded away lower round picks, and drafted a fist full of Russians that never ended up coming to North America. For a team that has been as successful as Ottawa over the years, this has been one of his biggest failings as a GM and by the time he left office our prospect pool was dry as a bone.

One of the biggest issues that Bryan Murray had to overcome is resolving some of these depth issues. He's done things like sign players out of the NCAA, he's slated to turn Neil and Kuba into draft picks at the trade deadline, and his later round picks have been very intriguing. Pieces of Ottawa's core for the distant future are already in place, and I would think that Bryan Murray would continue to add to that.

TheHMan is offline   Reply With Quote