HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kaberle and Antropov to Vancouver

Old
02-25-2009, 03:35 PM
ponder

vCash: 500
Kaberle and Antropov to Vancouver

To Vancouver:
- Tomas Kaberle
- Nik Antropov
- Justin Pogge

To Toronto:
- Cody Hodgson
- Cory Schneider
- salary filler, as needed to keep Vancouver under the cap (Vancouver's choice, maybe Steve Bernier?)

Vancouver go for the cup this year. Antropov is a skilled, 6'6" 2-way forward who seems to have put his injury problems in the past, and he only makes $2.15 mil. Kaberle is a very talented puck moving, top pairing defenseman, on a great contract ($4.25 mil per year for this year and the next 2). Pogge has potential - he has great size and athleticism, but hasn't put it together yet. But with all the time in the world to develop under Luongo, he could be a nice young goalie prospect to make up for the loss of Schneider.

Toronto get 2 excellent prospects. Hodgson looks to be captain material (much needed on the Leafs, who still have 4 alternates and no captain), and looks like he could be a legit, 2-way 1st liner. Schneider is a better goalie prospect than Pogge, and looks to be a starting quality goalie sooner rather than later. Toronto take a big step forward in their rebuild. Also, they'd absolutely tank in the present without Kaberle and Antropov (probably their 2 best players at the moment), so they'd get a very high pick in 2009.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 03:39 PM
IBLeaf*

Close but no cigar.

IBLeaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 03:40 PM
grind your soul
Belak forever

Send a message via ICQ to grind your soul Send a message via MSN to grind your soul
Schneider is about as proven as Pogge right now. So that's a wash.

Hodgson isn't worth both Antropov and Kaberle.

grind your soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 03:42 PM
Kessel>Seguin +
Not Even A Big Fan!!

Not Even close from the leafs point of view. 2 Prospect who have not yet proven they can even be in the NHL for 2 proven solid nhlers. Kaberle is one of the best defensmen available and antropov is a decent top 6 foward. Schnieder is further along than Pogge but not worth the slight upgrade in net

Kessel>Seguin + is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 03:42 PM
IrGuy

maybe if antropov was resigned by the canucks and leafs get a second rounder.

IrGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 03:43 PM
DougGilmour93

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
To Vancouver:
- Tomas Kaberle
- Nik Antropov
- Justin Pogge

To Toronto:
- Cody Hodgson
- Cory Schneider
- salary filler, as needed to keep Vancouver under the cap (Vancouver's choice, maybe Steve Bernier?)

Vancouver go for the cup this year. Antropov is a skilled, 6'6" 2-way forward who seems to have put his injury problems in the past, and he only makes $2.15 mil. Kaberle is a very talented puck moving, top pairing defenseman, on a great contract ($4.25 mil per year for this year and the next 2). Pogge has potential - he has great size and athleticism, but hasn't put it together yet. But with all the time in the world to develop under Luongo, he could be a nice young goalie prospect to make up for the loss of Schneider.

Toronto get 2 excellent prospects. Hodgson looks to be captain material (much needed on the Leafs, who still have 4 alternates and no captain), and looks like he could be a legit, 2-way 1st liner. Schneider is a better goalie prospect than Pogge, and looks to be a starting quality goalie sooner rather than later. Toronto take a big step forward in their rebuild. Also, they'd absolutely tank in the present without Kaberle and Antropov (probably their 2 best players at the moment), so they'd get a very high pick in 2009.
Add a 1st in 09 and you have a deal.

Schneider for Antropov is fine

But Hodgson and a salary dump for Kaberle is off.

Kaberle could have got Carter and a 1st last year. Hodgson is no where near Carter. (even the Carter of last year)

DougGilmour93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 03:44 PM
CrosbyCrosby*

canucks dont do this it's pointless both players together dont put them over the top

CrosbyCrosby* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 03:49 PM
alternate

It's not a bad deal from a Canucks perspective, but I think you'd really have to knock Gillis's socks off to get Hodgson. there's nothing to indicate Gillis is willing to give up his prized prospect to make a run this season. in fact it's just the opposite. he's been quoted time and time again that Hodgson, Scneider, Grabner, and our 1st are simply not on the table. could be posturing, but who knows.

if he did want to go all-in on this season, this would be a deal I'd consider.

alternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 03:50 PM
ponder

Quote:

I'm a Leafs fan btw (even though I moved to Vancouver for University), and I'd personally do this. And I really don't see Pogge as particularly close to Schneider as a prospect . . .

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 04:05 PM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

As a Canucks fan, no way do I do this deal.

I wouldn't give up any of Schneider, Hodgson or our 1st to get Antropov and IMO Kaberle is a luxury asset that we can do without.

We could use him, but not at the price he's going to cost.. IF Burke asks him to waive his NTC.

R0bert0 Lu0ng0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 04:07 PM
jabberhockey

Not a bad trade for the Canucks in terms of value, but I can’t see Gillis trading away Hodgson and Schneider at this point in time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grind your soul View Post
Pogge for Schneider is not a wash by any stretch of the imagination. I mean come on…not all goaltending prospects have equal value!

jabberhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 04:08 PM
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is

vCash: 1400
Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
I'm a Leafs fan btw (even though I moved to Vancouver for University), and I'd personally do this. And I really don't see Pogge as particularly close to Schneider as a prospect . . .
You don't say?

Poignant Discussion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Gardebut30

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougGilmour93 View Post

Kaberle could have got Carter and a 1st last year. Hodgson is no where near Carter. (even the Carter of last year)
For arguments sake, let's say the bolded part is true value-wise. If Hodgson is no where near Carter, then why do you settle for that deal when a first is added? Doesn't make sense.

Gardebut30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TimeZone
Swedish Sensation

**** no

TimeZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 04:09 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by grind your soul View Post

Since when is how proven someone a measure of the future potential? In that case - I guess that Micheal Blunden has as much value as Tavares - because neither one has proven anything at the NHL level.

That's obviously a load of crap.

When was a blue-chipper (which I consider Hodgson) traded at the deadline?

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 04:10 PM
grabo84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardebut30 View Post
For arguments sake, let's say the bolded part is true value-wise. If Hodgson is no where near Carter, then why do you settle for that deal when a first is added? Doesn't make sense.
Because Holmgren was out of his mind...

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 04:12 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:

You really shouldn't set Kaberle's value based on a rumor from last deadline on what would have been a really bad deal. If nothing else, Kaberle has one year less service at a bargain rate, which reduces his value. Then factor in that his play has slipped significantly from a couple of years ago, and I think his value is down. Still worth a bunch - but not what it was at last year.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 04:15 PM
Passthedonuts

Neither team makes this deal.

Vancouver does not part with Hodgson and Toronto could get greater value for Kaberle and Antropov.

With that said, Vancouver was not on Kaberle's list of "approved teams" that he gave to Burke, so he's not coming here.

Passthedonuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 04:28 PM
settinguptheplay
Classless Canuck Fan

No way Vancouver does this. Not because of value but because you are taking their best forward prospect and insurance policy in goal away. The team does not have enough prospect depth to make such a move. In a cap world having no prospect depth will be a franchise killer. Steve Bernier (cannot be traded this year anyway) would not be used as "salary filler". He is plenty young and has his best years ahead of him.

Note to Toronto:

Vancouver is NOT going to trade you all their youth. Get real. Once again.... The value may be there but the reasons to swing this deal are not. Not from a Vancouver perspective anyway.

settinguptheplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 04:30 PM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

Quote:
Hodgson is no where near Carter. (even the Carter of last year)
Well he is five years younger.

And if you compare Hodgson to Carter when he was a similar age, it's pretty easy to make the case that Hodgson at age 19 looks like a better prospect than Carter did at age 19.

Carter 2003-04 GP 59 G 36 A 30 P 66
Hodgson 2008-09* GP 44 G 33 A 39 P 72

We'll see what Hodgson can do over the rest of the season.

But of course, the Leafs can't wait for a prospect to develop right? They need someone to help them win now.

R0bert0 Lu0ng0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 04:42 PM
NYVanfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passthedonuts View Post
Neither team makes this deal.

Vancouver does not part with Hodgson and Toronto could get greater value for Kaberle and Antropov.

With that said, Vancouver was not on Kaberle's list of "approved teams" that he gave to Burke, so he's not coming here.
Source?

i mustve missed this one

NYVanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 04:48 PM
Quik
Agent 0091

Quote:
Originally Posted by alternate View Post
It's not a bad deal from a Canucks perspective, but I think you'd really have to knock Gillis's socks off to get Hodgson. there's nothing to indicate Gillis is willing to give up his prized prospect to make a run this season. in fact it's just the opposite. he's been quoted time and time again that Hodgson, Scneider, Grabner, and our 1st are simply not on the table. could be posturing, but who knows.

if he did want to go all-in on this season, this would be a deal I'd consider.
Is that not what signing Sundin was about? If Gillis wasn't willing to go for it, then signing Sundin was a pointless move.

I can't see Burkie moving his two biggest chips for two unknowns and a dump. He's said that Kabby will only be moved for a player who can play now, a top prospect, and a 1st. I see 2 of those 3 in the proposal, and there's more than Kaberle being moved, so I doubt Burke would make that deal.

Quik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 04:50 PM
jabberhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYVanfan View Post
Source?

i mustve missed this one
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...ry/GlobeSports

From the article:
Quote:
When Kaberle, who has a no-trade clause in his contract, submitted his list of 10 teams he would agree to be traded to before the March 4 deadline, there were no Western Conference clubs on his list.

jabberhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 04:51 PM
alternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quik View Post
Is that not what signing Sundin was about? If Gillis wasn't willing to go for it, then signing Sundin was a pointless move.

I can't see Burkie moving his two biggest chips for two unknowns and a dump. He's said that Kabby will only be moved for a player who can play now, a top prospect, and a 1st. I see 2 of those 3 in the proposal, and there's more than Kaberle being moved, so I doubt Burke would make that deal.
so you don't see the difference in signing a UFA when we have tons of cap space or moving our top 2 prospects?

alternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 04:57 PM
Uhmkay
Weber2Canucks2013

Vancouver does NOT want Antropov!

And what is this Cap Space filler going back to Toronto? Vancouver has TONS of cap space room.

Uhmkay is offline   Reply With Quote