HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Problems choosing hockey stick (lefty or righty?)

Old
02-22-2009, 08:55 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 500
Ding, Ding, Ding!!!!

We have a winner!!!

The last paragraph say the most about how you should decide where to shoot from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Actually, You're the one who's very wrong. about 70% of the NHL shoots left. The handedness is about the same as the general population, about 85-15 in favor of right handed people. Do the math.

Most people shoot with the opposite hand that they write with. Why? The power on top. Power hand on top is MUCH more common in higher levels, because it does give much better stickhandling, and it also puts your dominant eye up to see the ice, giving you better vision for passing.

However, a lot of the best shooters have their power hand on the bottom. Typically happens if you played baseball or glove before hockey you're much more comfortable with it. But it puts the strong hand on the bottom to help shoot, and puts the dominant eye over the puck giving you better accuracy.

But the correct answer here is whatever hand you're more comfortable with. If you like how the left handed stick feels, use that one. And what surface you're playing on does not matter in the slightest.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 10:07 PM
LarryO

Quote:
... And what surface you're playing on does not matter in the slightest.
If your alluding to my post, I was only asking what surface he played on when he was asking if he should use a wooden or composite stick. I wouldn't waste a one-piece composite on a high-wear suface for example.

LarryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 10:20 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryO View Post
If your alluding to my post, I was only asking what surface he played on when he was asking if he should use a wooden or composite stick. I wouldn't waste a one-piece composite on a high-wear suface for example.
Good point- it does matter for that.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 01:54 AM
TaylorHall
First overall

Pretty much everybody I talk to tell me to use a lefty since I'm right handed but 1 guy said to just go with what's natural since you can learn to adapt. Lmao, I'm just going to keep using my lefty and see how it goes.

TaylorHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 02:17 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gforce33 View Post
Wrong

And again wrong, where do you get this from? If you skate board/surf/snow board with your left foot forward, throw, write, bat and swing right handed than you are right handed and should get a right handed stick. I don't really see how a right handed person would benefit from a left handed stick, but maybe thats just me. I have played hockey on a competitive level for years and evryone that I know and grew up with playing hockey shoots the same way they throw etc....
lol, before you start sounding all knowledgeable, you should at least know what you're talking about. sorry buddy, you are the one who is wrong.

oh and I'm not going to "waste my time" explaining myself

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 09:39 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

The thing you will spend doing the least time doing with your stick is shooting. You need to hold it so it feels more natural when you poke check, pass and stick handle, for probably 2/3rds of RH people, that's going to be a lefty stick.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 04:27 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

It's a matter of comfort. I'm right-handed and shoot right-handed; besides being stronger in the right arm, I also have a great deal less fine dexterity than I do in my left arm (possibly the result of playing baseball for a number of years).

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 11:27 PM
TowMater14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post
lol, before you start sounding all knowledgeable, you should at least know what you're talking about. sorry buddy, you are the one who is wrong.

oh and I'm not going to "waste my time" explaining myself
Where do you people come from?

TowMater14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 12:03 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gforce33 View Post
Where do you people come from?
The world that uses fact to back up our points.

Answer me one thing: how do you explain that the nhl is about 3:1 (75%) in favor of left handed shots when the general population is about 9:1 (90%) in favor of right handed people.

Put up or shut up.

Old
02-25-2009, 12:12 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
The world that uses fact to back up our points.

Answer me one thing: how do you explain that the nhl is about 3:1 (75%) in favor of left handed shots when the general population is about 9:1 (90%) in favor of right handed people.

Put up or shut up.
It is indeed true that about 70% of the NHL shoots left. Here's my frank explanation: strong hand up top, better stick handling, passing, poke checks, faceoffs. strong hand on bottom, shooting. With enough practice, you can overcome and turn one arm from the dominant to the weaker arm, but the real reason is as follows. Most RH people are considered right leg dominant, e.g. they naturally use their right foot and lower leg for fine motor movements, this generally means that the left leg is the anchor or balance leg and shooting lefty works with this fact better. A friend of mine was in a motorcycle accident and destroyed his left leg, he was an avid soccer player and figured he would be able to get past that because since he was RH, and kicked the ball with his right foot, he thought it wouldn't be a big problem. Well, he was wrong, and I learned an important lesson too. Look at the NBA, look at 90% of the players being RH and ALWAYS jumping from the left leg. Here's one of many articles on the topic, http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0811.htm
"That's a tough question, but if we are talking about push-off strength and power, ie strength and power created when the leg is in contact with the ground, then the right leg may indeed be the weaker appendage. Some research suggests that the left foot and leg are probably stronger than their right counterparts in about 90% of the population." From personal experience, it's apparently common in dance as well (ex-girlfriend). It's one of those funny little counter-intuitive points. Everyone assumes since the right arm is used more and is therefore stronger, the same idea applies to the lower body as well, but that probably is the opposite of the truth!

Last edited by BadHammy*: 02-25-2009 at 12:36 AM.
Old
02-25-2009, 12:57 PM
Green13

What is wrong with you people? Theres no rule if your right hand dominant you should use a left stick. Most of the NHL is using left sticks because growing up they are taught to use left sticks from their development coaches.

This is because having your dominant on top = better stick handling and thats what the coaches found most important. But that doesn't mean its the end all answer, it just depends what you find more important for your game and comfortable.

I already stated the pros and cons of dominant hand on top or bottom but the benefits aren't evident if your uncomfortable; therefore comfort is first priority, and if you can play either side, then decide what aspect you want to be better at.

Green13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 01:54 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green13 View Post
What is wrong with you people? Theres no rule if your right hand dominant you should use a left stick. Most of the NHL is using left sticks because growing up they are taught to use left sticks from their development coaches.

This is because having your dominant on top = better stick handling and thats what the coaches found most important. But that doesn't mean its the end all answer, it just depends what you find more important for your game and comfortable.

I already stated the pros and cons of dominant hand on top or bottom but the benefits aren't evident if your uncomfortable; therefore comfort is first priority, and if you can play either side, then decide what aspect you want to be better at.
It's not a set rule, no. But it's also not an absolute rule set in stone that right handed players must use right handed sticks like the other guy was claiming.

And it's not development coaches who buy the kids the sticks. It's the kid who goes into the store with their parents and figures out which one he's comfortable with. And if hockey is the first sport, odds are he picks the lefty stick.

Old
02-25-2009, 01:59 PM
Rem
I am a ham radio

I'm a righty, and use a left stick. When I first started playing, it felt more comfortable for just about everything - except shooting. I've overcome it completely, however. Shooting with a right stick feels weird. My brother who is also a righty however, uses a right stick.

I'm a firm believer in the strong hand on top though. It explains why the majority of players in the NHL use left sticks. Anyone who thinks its just coincidence is fooling themselves.

Rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 02:01 PM
Rem
I am a ham radio

Quote:
It's not a set rule, no. But it's also not an absolute rule set in stone that right handed players must use right handed sticks like the other guy was claiming.

And it's not development coaches who buy the kids the sticks. It's the kid who goes into the store with their parents and figures out which one he's comfortable with. And if hockey is the first sport, odds are he picks the lefty stick.
I played baseball, basketball, football, etc... all before I started playing hockey and I still picked a left stick. I bat, golf, throw, shoot (basketball), cradle (football), shovel, sweep, etc., all right. I do snowboard goofy though, which coincidentally is the same foot positioning as shooting left. BUT, so is a fighting stance (Kickboxing and Kenpo). And my fighting stance is left foot forward.

Rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 06:53 PM
Red Dragon

No matter what you choose you will have to practice with it. If you are for comfortable left go with left, the shot will progress. If you are comfortable with right go with the right over time the stickhandling will get better over time.

Red Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 06:58 PM
Red Dragon

Quote:

The strong hand on top or bottom only has importance when you are young as you practice they will get better. I'll use my team has an example. The 2 best stickhanders are rightys shoting right and the two best shooters are rightys shooting left and the worst sickhandler is a righty shooting left.

Red Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 07:58 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:

I completely agree with you about the "comfort factor" but here is the unseen problem. People are merely standing in shoes, not moving and think it feels better for them to use a right stick, but then feels TOTALLY different (often uncomfortable, or what people have told me, "weird") when they are moving and doing hockey related tasks in skates.

People really overvalue hockey quickly a beginner player can shoot, especially in todays era of high end sticks, so they just ask them to hold a stick and try to shoot with it and see how it feels. That's really just hockey ignorance. If someone feels better doing all of the normal hockey tasks with their dominant hand on the bottom, I implore them to do that, but that usually is not the case. They just don't know better until it's too late.

Old
02-25-2009, 08:07 PM
Placebo Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by TearsOFaClown View Post
It is (mostly) just you. As the above poster mentions do what feels comfortable for you, but I can tell you that as a right hander who started shooting right and switched to left that I have better control of the puck because my top hand is stronger. The right stick just feels wrong.
How long did you play right handed before switching? I've played right all my life, nothing ever serious though just roller hockey in parking lots, etc. I've started ice hockey recently and for some reason I feel like I should be playing lefty all of a sudden, it feels more natural (at least that's what my brain is telling me) yet I've never tried playing left handed other than just screwing around. Right handed is what I'm comfortable with since it's what I've played with all my life. Basically wondering if I should bother trying to switch to see if its better as a lefty or just remain right handed.

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 08:07 PM
Green13

Quote:

No.. but it was encouraged by the coaches. I didn't say ALL lefty sticks are because of the development coachs. My point was it was encouraged by them because stick handling is usually viewed as more important than a great slap shot. There is alot of left stick players now but there was a time when there were more right stick players.

Old
02-25-2009, 08:10 PM
Green13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Moon View Post
The strong hand on top or bottom only has importance when you are young as you practice they will get better. I'll use my team has an example. The 2 best stickhanders are rightys shoting right and the two best shooters are rightys shooting left and the worst sickhandler is a righty shooting left.
yea i already stated the advantage is less evident the more you practice and play. Your examples of players on your team are great examples of that variable called practice.

Old
02-25-2009, 09:26 PM
dhasek3910

why don't you jsut get a flat blade and confuse the hell out of defenders? im sure it would have some use too in game, coming on your "correct" wing, and then switching hands to unleash an off wing one timer

dhasek3910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 01:38 AM
Crindy

I think that any advantage that one would have from shooting a certain way is only really a factor until one develops their skills and muscle memory a good deal, as others have said. I'm a natural righty and I shoot right-handed, and two of my biggest assets are my passing and my stick in the defensive zone, so I don't feel that I'm really at a disadvantage against the players who use shoot with their non-dominant hand. Brendan Shanahan shoots with his right hand as a natural righty and that never stopped him from putting 50 pucks in the net in the NHL. It's all about comfort.

It seems to me that it has more to do with who teaches you to play or where you learned to play. I remember reading somewhere that if you walk into most hockey shops in the States and shop for your first stick the staff will ask you what hand you write with and give you the corresponding stick, while in Canada you'll get the opposite.

Crindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 01:50 AM
Green13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulton Reed View Post
I think that any advantage that one would have from shooting a certain way is only really a factor until one develops their skills and muscle memory a good deal, as others have said. I'm a natural righty and I shoot right-handed, and two of my biggest assets are my passing and my stick in the defensive zone, so I don't feel that I'm really at a disadvantage against the players who use shoot with their non-dominant hand. Brendan Shanahan shoots with his right hand as a natural righty and that never stopped him from putting 50 pucks in the net in the NHL. It's all about comfort.

It seems to me that it has more to do with who teaches you to play or where you learned to play. I remember reading somewhere that if you walk into most hockey shops in the States and shop for your first stick the staff will ask you what hand you write with and give you the corresponding stick, while in Canada you'll get the opposite.

THERE. thank you. I also think I forgot to specify that canadian coachs usually favour the dominant hand on top "rule". Don't know much about american development camps and such.