HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Renny: what team would benfit with him?

Old
02-25-2009, 02:04 PM
Radek27

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
No team will benefit from having him as a head coach. Every team would benefit for having him as an assistant though.

He is a mediocre head coach at best. he would be one of the top assistant coaches in the NHL i feel though.
Guy made the playoffs every season he was coach, man this burns me up how fans diss Tom now that he's gone. I will never forget what that man did to help this franchise turn a corner and Tom will be a head coach again soon in the NHL.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 02:06 PM
TheSchwab

Send a message via MSN to TheSchwab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
I would have to say Florida.............just from the kind of coach he is I think it would be a perfect fit for Tom. And what other franchise could use a little kick in the pants in regards to self pride?
What are you talking about? The Panthers have ONE less point than us with one less game played.

It wouldn't surprise me if they passed us. Have you watched them lately? The Cats are an exciting bunch with young talent leading the way.

TSN would benefit from Renney...

TheSchwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 02:11 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchwab View Post
What are you talking about? The Panthers have ONE less point than us with one less game played.

It wouldn't surprise me if they passed us. Have you watched them lately? The Cats are an exciting bunch with young talent leading the way.

He's a smart guy but he's not a personality. Off the top of my head the hockey analysts (or former analysts) that I can think of are Barnaby, Torts, Cherry, Melrose...All these guys have personality, Renney may be incredibly intelligent but he won't go to television.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 02:11 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchwab View Post

What the hell does that have to do with the price of beans? The Devils fired thier coach two weeks before the playoffs which they already qualified for. I said Florida because I think it fits his style and also the amount of youth down there Tom is a great teacher.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 02:26 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Guy made the playoffs every season he was coach, man this burns me up how fans diss Tom now that he's gone. I will never forget what that man did to help this franchise turn a corner and Tom will be a head coach again soon in the NHL.
I am not dissing him that he is gone. These are the same things I said when he was here. I never thought he would lead a team to a cup, still don't. I never thought he was a great coach. Still don't. I am thankful for what he did for us, but I am not going to overexaggerate what he did. I am also going to be critical of what he didn't do. Just because many coaches have failed here before should not exonerate Tom Renney of his shortcomings as coach b/c he brought us to the PO's. I still feel that the teams under achieved w/ him as coach and that another coach would have brought this team further.

He put in alot of effort, and did his best and I thank him for that. It doesn't mean that I have to think that he was good or great though. I think alot of his mistakes as coach are covered by jagr, lundy and good health of key players though.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 02:52 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
He'd be a huge asset to any team that needs a great assistant coach.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 04:12 PM
Cake or Death

I like Renney. For his sake, I am glad he got fired. Realistically speaking, in NHL coaching dog years, the guy is still a puppy. And I think he did a stellar job overall based on his level of experience and the demands and expectations of coaching in NY. I don't think he was a top-echelon coach, but considering he was new, he did a real good job overall.

I think the firing will really serve him well. He strikes me as someone who will use it as an opportunity to look at the situation and learn where he can adjust and improve. And I think he will do that. If he can coach a team with less expectations where he can further develop and improve his coaching (he's still relatively new at this on the NHL level), I think he'll be just fine.

Cake or Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 05:06 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
I would have to say Florida.............just from the kind of coach he is I think it would be a perfect fit for Tom. And what other franchise could use a little kick in the pants in regards to self pride?
Actually, Florida is already on the right track. de Boer is doing a great job building up that team. They had a slow start while they learned the system but now they are rolling. They got thumped by Boston last night but beat the Bruins the game before that and I believe Jersey the game before that.

That's not to say Renney wouldn't help them, I'm just saying he isn't what they need since they have a very good up-and-coming coach. TB meanwhile... whew. I'm not sure Renney would want to be there with that chaos but he is exactly what that franchise needs right now.

I'm seeing the firing of Tortorella there as the firing of Campbell here. Success then some speedbumps. Then chaos and uphevel afterwards. 3 coaches in 1 year and probably one more because Tocchet is an interim. They have a core to build around, a good system can make them competitive while a few good acquisitions can put them right back in the mix.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 06:23 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

I think he'd do great in Florida...

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 06:27 PM
levski87

He couldn't handle the egos in Vancouver and couldn't do it here. Truth is, Renney is a good coach, but I dont think he'll win a team the Stanley Cup. He will coach another team and I bet its next season most likely.

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 08:47 PM
yellomellojello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
So basically you just called Jagr, Straka, Nylander, Rucinksy, Sykora, Roszival, Poti, and Rucchin and Lundy ****.

Jagr- greatest European born player ever

Straka - 4 season of 20+ goals before the Rangers. battled injuries alot though but definately had tons of skill.

Nylander - 2 20+ goal seasons. before the Rangers. always known as a great passer. rarely healthy otherwise would have had better stats.

Rucinsky -4 seasons of 20+ goals before Rangers another player frequently injured.

Sykora - 9 20+ goal season on teams other than the Rangers

Roszival - Steady dman throughout his career. but had major injury problems before coming to the NYR.

Poti - topped 10 goals 3 times. topped 40 points 2x. Had his worst season under renney.

Rucchin - 20 goal scorer 3 times. 15 + every year he wasn't injured except under Renney. His worst season playing 70+ games was under Renney.

Lundy - nuff said.
These are some unbelievably generous descriptions. Granted, Jagr is Jagr (although it shouldn't be forgotten that he was coming off 3 seasons where he failed to put up 80 points, and was widely considered massively overpaid and overrated, as well as a team cancer), but beyond him...

The 5 best Straka seasons, by goals: 35, 30, 27, 20, 19. The most recent of those before his time as a Ranger was 2000-01. He then missed most of a season, scored 46 pts in 60 games, 26 in 54, and then was locked out for a year. That's one of our first-liners.

Nylander - even playing a full season, had topped out at 64 pts. Hurt in 03-04, locked out, and coming back to the NHL at 33 (same age as Straka, it's worth noting.)

Rucinsky - Hadn't topped 50 pts since 97-98, despite playing in 73, 80, 57, 75, 61, and 82 games leading up to the 05-06 season. That season would be the only one in his career he topped 1 pt/gm, and at 34.

Sykora - In his 4 NHL seasons prior to joining the Rangers, topped out at 59 pts, and had fallen to .59 pts/gm when traded to the Rangers. With the Rangers: .78 pts/gm

Rozsival - Very clearly a superior player with the Rangers then before, although I'm willing to chalk that up to improvement with age. Nevertheless, never expected to be a top defenseman.

Poti - Considered a disappointment even before Renney came around.

Rucchin - Very similar to Rucinsky and Nylander, couldn't even be considered a very good player for the few years before coming to the Rangers, and was pretty much done. Of course it was his worst season, he was 34 and had been showing signs of decline before the lockout from a peak that was never great to begin with.

So you have one elite player, who was considered a major problem and unreliable, along with a collection of guys who were past their prime (and only ever 2nd line talents even at their peak) and 2 defensemen who had been very mediocre the year before the lockout. Even if you expected Henrik to have a monster rookie year, which seems pretty unlikely, that is still a very, very weak team.

yellomellojello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 09:30 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by levski87 View Post
He couldn't handle the egos in Vancouver and couldn't do it here. Truth is, Renney is a good coach, but I dont think he'll win a team the Stanley Cup. He will coach another team and I bet its next season most likely.
He handled the egos here fine, the problem was when the egos were gone. This team lacked identity... or they became too much like the coach with the lack of strong personalities like Jagr, Shanny and Avery. Renney is not an egotist so he doesn't mind the attention going to others. He doesn't mind that the identity is not his own. He's a manager. The team used to feed off of Jagr's confidence and Avery's swagger. Now they mimick Renney's passiveness and his cerebral approach. Too much thinking and not enough reaction.

I don't understand the Florida comments. Florida is fine. They have their direction and a very good system. Renney is a great foundation guy and a great defensive mind. Florida has both of them in spades. Renney needs to pick up with a team that is looking to build from scratch.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 09:45 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
The fact that he has a system. The fact that he keeps an even keel which his team's here adopted (never getting too high or too low). The fact that he's been to the playoffs three straight seasons and left a a team in a playoff spot.

Because when you really look at it, the young guys on this team have been good.
He has no system. His system was being the beneficiary of a team with Jaromir Jagr and Henrik Lundqvist.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 09:49 PM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
That he brought a team to the playoffs 3 straight years? That's certainly a sign that you're doing something right. Why is it implausible to think that with a different team he could do even better?
with Jaromir Jagr..one of the 10 best players ever, and Shanahan, another 600 goal scorer.

He's a smart man, but I can't see his coaching style ever manifesting itself into a Cup win.

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 11:00 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellomellojello View Post
These are some unbelievably generous descriptions. Granted, Jagr is Jagr (although it shouldn't be forgotten that he was coming off 3 seasons where he failed to put up 80 points, and was widely considered massively overpaid and overrated, as well as a team cancer), but beyond him...
way to just look at points and not games played on Jagr. Or how well the league scored either.

01-02 79pts in 69 games and was still 5th in the league in scoring. while missing 13 games. Yup this shows he's washed up. overpaid and overrated. spare me.
02-03 77 pts in 75 games tied for 19th in scoring again this shows he was one of the best.
03-04 73 pts in 77 games 15th in scoring and again he shows he's one of the elite.

by the way he had no linemates to play w/ in Washington, and was completely miserable there. Still avg at over a ppg pace for 2 of the seasons.

Quote:
The 5 best Straka seasons, by goals: 35, 30, 27, 20, 19. The most recent of those before his time as a Ranger was 2000-01. He then missed most of a season, scored 46 pts in 60 games, 26 in 54, and then was locked out for a year. That's one of our first-liners....
but he was a proven goal scorer. he just had ALOT of injury issues. Sorry, but its hard to keep a good streak going when constantly injured. He still had alot of skill. You don't put up #'s like Straka w/o having skill.

Quote:
Nylander - even playing a full season, had topped out at 64 pts. Hurt in 03-04, locked out, and coming back to the NHL at 33 (same age as Straka, it's worth noting.)
you do realize that in 2001-2002 w/ 61 points he was in top 50 in scoring. and the next year he was tied for 51st. not too shabby.

Quote:
Rucinsky - Hadn't topped 50 pts since 97-98, despite playing in 73, 80, 57, 75, 61, and 82 games leading up to the 05-06 season. That season would be the only one in his career he topped 1 pt/gm, and at 34.
again Rucinsky only topped 60 pts in 3 seasons. he was not a big assist man in his career. He was however a pretty good goal scorer. He had a good season under Renney, but its not like he wasn't an established player already. he was already known as a pretty good goalscorer.

Quote:
Sykora - In his 4 NHL seasons prior to joining the Rangers, topped out at 59 pts, and had fallen to .59 pts/gm when traded to the Rangers. With the Rangers: .78 pts/gm
and last year in Pittsburgh he put up the same avg and this year is putting up a better avg. what's your point. he also scored over a ppg one season w/ the Devils. Sykora is always known as a streaky player. That season was not abnormally high for him. He is all over the board every year.

Quote:
Rozsival - Very clearly a superior player with the Rangers then before, although I'm willing to chalk that up to improvement with age. Nevertheless, never expected to be a top defenseman.
fine, I can see this. But he still was considered a good dman back in Pitt, just injury prone.

Quote:
Poti - Considered a disappointment even before Renney came around.
Yes by the retarded people he was a disappointment, b/c they thought he would be the next Leetch which is impossible. In 2002-2003 he was #7 in scoring for Dmen. in 2003-2004 he was tied for 21st in goals for dmen. People just thought he should be Leetch. He never was, but he was still a fine dman, that was just treated like crap here for no reason.

Quote:
Rucchin - Very similar to Rucinsky and Nylander, couldn't even be considered a very good player for the few years before coming to the Rangers, and was pretty much done. Of course it was his worst season, he was 34 and had been showing signs of decline before the lockout from a peak that was never great to begin with.
he was a consistent player, and had one of his worst seasons w/ the Rangers.

Quote:
So you have one elite player, who was considered a major problem and unreliable, along with a collection of guys who were past their prime (and only ever 2nd line talents even at their peak) and 2 defensemen who had been very mediocre the year before the lockout. Even if you expected Henrik to have a monster rookie year, which seems pretty unlikely, that is still a very, very weak team.
and what you also have is a new style of NHL. One that suited these players b/c they were all on the smaller side, and not made for the clutch and grab hockey beforehand besides Jagr. The year following the lockout was a great year for scoring. Almost everybody's #'s were up. It was too be expected. But the fact that some players declined is a problem. This team had alot of talent, and finally in the new NHL they were allowed to show it b/c there was no obstruction allowed. In the old NHL this team would have gotten creamed b/c of lack of size.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote