Old
02-07-2009, 04:39 PM
Chad_

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Madonna (virgin my ***)
She's more like sloppy Chamberlain.

And I'll take my six-game suspension. Does that come with a trip to anywhere other than here? I could use some Mountains about now.

Old
02-07-2009, 04:42 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_ View Post
She's more like sloppy Chamberlain.

And I'll take my six-game suspension. Does that come with a trip to anywhere other than here? I could use some Mountains about now.
Why don't you just go to Cabo before the big game like Romo.

Old
02-07-2009, 04:53 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
It's widely believed that Blalock used, which accounts for his body's breaking down. I also wouldn't be surprised if Young did for a bit, considering the amount of weight he's lost since testing programs were implemented and the evaporation of his power numbers (especially to left field).

Old
02-07-2009, 05:01 PM
Chad_

I'd have a hard time believing Blalock didn't use due to his injuries, not the fact of his injuries but what his injuries have been, and his complete alteration of being a spray hitter to a pull only, power hitter. Oh, the Blalock that might have been had he just stuck to what worked to get him to the Majors.

Old
02-09-2009, 12:29 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by starsfan24 View Post
Any Rangers to name?
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...n.370e439.html

I lol'd reading the article, for some strange reason.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Old
02-09-2009, 09:54 PM
Chad_

So A-Rod admitted to using a form of steroids, something we all knew about, but what intrigued me was the bit of news regarding the Rangers former trainer (his name escapes me at present), Daniels and Young.

According to various reports, Daniels, before he was GM, asked the trainer if he thought A-Rod was on 'roids. The trainer answered in the affirmative. Whether or not his answer included his rationale for why he thought A-Rod was juicing at the time or if it's come out later, the trainer insists A-Rod "hated working out," therefore his physique could only come from using such a substance. That makes perfect sense, at least if we assume A-Rod is indeed a bit on the lazy side of the coin with respect to professional athletes.

Perhaps A-Rod's best friend on the Rangers was Michael Young. Since the positive test story broke, Young has insisted he had no idea A-Rod was juicing, a point which I'll take Young at face value. But what's intriguing is that Young calls A-Rod the "hardest worker" he's ever been around. One can be a hard worker and skip the gym, but wouldn't someone's muscular build-up at least pique the interest in others if he doesn't do resistance training?

Confused? Me too. Either A-Rod hates working out or he is a hard worker. Which is it?

Both Young and the trainer should know the correct answer, but each gives two completely different takes. The discrepancy got me thinking, which can be dangerous.

What does the trainer have to lose by lying? It seems to me he would have been far better and safer from further scrutiny if he had denied any knowledge of A-Rod's possible usage or his work ethic. Since his part of the story has already been reported, he has nothing to lose by sticking to his guns.

What does Young have to lose by lying? If Young admits he wondered if A-Rod was using, he might somehow be implicated in doing the same. For the record, I don't think Young used. Two, Young has been pretty vocal regarding A-Rod and Ranger fans treatment thereof. If Young recants his hard-working A-Rod story, he comes across as less than genuine, which seems to be a conscript he enjoys as evidenced by his stern refusal to accept his age followed by his quick acceptance shortly after the third base story broke.

What say you? I'm asking this in here because it wouldn't get caught in the clutter at LSB and I won't get dismissed for even a small shot at Young as might be the case at Newberg's, but I'm interested to know what others think about this.

Old
02-09-2009, 10:13 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

I give the trainer the benefit of the doubt. We have seen Young's true colors earlier this offseason and it wouldn't surprise me if he wasn't as genuine as he seemed.

Old
02-10-2009, 12:34 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

I was always under the impression that ARod did significant resistance training in the off-season. That doesn't mean he had to enjoy it.

I don't think either person in this example is lying.

Old
02-10-2009, 01:20 PM
Chad_

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
I was always under the impression that ARod did significant resistance training in the off-season. That doesn't mean he had to enjoy it.
The trainer believed A-Rod was on 'roids because he hated working out, meaning the trainer believed the only way A-Rod was bulking up to the levels he did was through taking 'roids because he wasn't putting the time to do so in the gym.

Old
02-10-2009, 01:29 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

Just because he was the team trainer doesn't mean he knew what was going on. Baseball players don't do much work in the gym during the summer. ARod's off-season regimen almost certainly was not done at any facilities controlled by the Rangers.

Old
02-10-2009, 02:42 PM
Chad_

Quote:
Just because he was the team trainer doesn't mean he knew what was going on. Baseball players don't do much work in the gym during the summer. ARod's off-season regimen almost certainly was not done at any facilities controlled by the Rangers.
That may be, but baseball players actually do a good deal of resistance training during the season. There are also many players who do off-season training within a team's facilities, in coordination with the team's trainer.

Old
02-10-2009, 03:26 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

I could be wrong, but I thought ARod went back home to Florida for the winter.

Old
02-21-2009, 12:24 AM
starsfan24
Drunkkkkk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...n.370e439.html

I lol'd reading the article, for some strange reason.
Haha!! Yup and they still didn't go far!

Old
02-25-2009, 11:29 PM
BigG44

Am I the only person surprised Tony Curtis didn't receive a RFA tender?

I realize Martellus Bennett is the unquestioned #2 TE, but Curtis is a hell of a 3rd. Dallas' goes to that 3rd guy quite a bit too.

I guess they feel Rodney Hannah is ready. He looked good last preseason, but I wonder if his blocking is up to par. He hadn't played football in quite a long time IIRC.

Old
02-25-2009, 11:38 PM
Chad_

The second round tender is over $1.5 million. That's too expensive for a team close to the cap for a third TE. They can find a comparable one through free agency (draft or NFL).

Maybe Shockey is available and willing to take a pay cut. He'd fit in nicely with T.O.

Old
02-25-2009, 11:52 PM
BigG44

Quote:
The second round tender is over $1.5 million. That's too expensive for a team close to the cap for a third TE. They can find a comparable one through free agency (draft or NFL).

Maybe Shockey is available and willing to take a pay cut. He'd fit in nicely with T.O.
The lowest tender is only $1 million. I think that is only $300,000 or $400,000 more than league minimum right?

If it's because of Rodney Hannah, I don't really care. It would be pretty great to have two huge TE's in Bennett and Hannah.

Curtis was a pretty good blocker though.

Old
02-26-2009, 12:01 AM
Chad_

It's my understanding though that since Curtis was undrafted, just like Austin and Hurd, he'd have to get a second round tender at $1.5 for the Cowboys to get any compensation. Certainly I could be wrong on that.

Old
02-26-2009, 12:09 AM
BigG44

Quote:
It's my understanding though that since Curtis was undrafted, just like Austin and Hurd, he'd have to get a second round tender at $1.5 for the Cowboys to get any compensation. Certainly I could be wrong on that.
No, you are correct that Dallas has to give a 2nd round tender to get anything in return. They can place the lower tender, have the right to match any offer, but they will not receive any compensation if they pass.

A couple years ago, they gave the lower tender to Ryan Fowler. He signed with Tennessee, Dallas didn’t match, and the Cowboys received nothing in return.

Old
02-26-2009, 09:15 AM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

Tony Curtis was money in the redzone. Bennett is turning out to be quite nice too though. 1.5million is too much for Curtis though. I would rather take my chances and spend a little more trying to get Ray Lewis. It is worth the gamble in my opinion

Old
02-26-2009, 09:40 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaStars99 View Post
Tony Curtis was money in the redzone. Bennett is turning out to be quite nice too though. 1.5million is too much for Curtis though. I would rather take my chances and spend a little more trying to get Ray Lewis. It is worth the gamble in my opinion
I don't feel like digging up the article, but Chris Cooley (at some charity event) said he was a better TE than Jason Witten because of his YAC. He said Witten couldn't run after the catch. I guess it's OK to ignore the fact that Witten is superior in every other role of TE to Cooley and pretty much every other TE in the league. You can’t even argue that he’s not the best TE. The only way Cooley or Gates come close to Witten is if you’re comparing their offensive numbers, and Witten is pretty much neck and neck with them.

Anyway, in the story, the Dallas morning News pointed out that Cooley wasn't even the best YAC TE in the NFC East. Martellus Bennett was the 2nd best TE (with over 30 catches) in the league, and IIRC his YAC was over 7 yards.

Coming from A&M, Bennett was already an average to above average blocker. Playing behind Witten for a few years, I could see Bennett surpassing Jason Witten. Of course, I’ll never respect any Cowboy more than Jason Witten.

Like I said, there are lower tenders than $1.5 million. I really believe this just means the Cowboys feel Rodney Hannah is ready for game action. He better be because it would be a waste IMO to burn another pick on a TE. Whoever is the 3rd, they'll see important time with Dallas. Whenever Cricket gets hurt (which is often), Dallas roles with 3 TE/H-backs quite a bit.

Old
02-26-2009, 09:50 AM
BigG44

**** all this talk about TE's just pisses me off about the Cowboys. On paper, they should hands down be the Number 1 offense.

Fing drama queens. With the Colts cutting Marvin Harrison, Dallas probably has the best receiving corp in the league.

1) T.O.
2) Jason Witten
3) Roy Williams
4) Felix Jones
5) Martellus Bennet
6) Patrick Crayton
7) Miles Austin
8) Marion Barber
9) Sam Hurd

I may have rated Barber somewhat low in terms of receiving, but that's because I'd rather see him getting the ball in the backfield and punishing anyone that got in the way.

EDIT: Even freaking Cricket can take a swing pass for some decent yards. Fing Cowboys.

Old
02-26-2009, 10:33 AM
piqued
Global Moderator

This off-season is a failure as long as TO is still on the team.

Old
02-26-2009, 11:30 AM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

talent wise there is no team better, that is for sure. Btw Jason Garrett is the most overrated coordinator ever. His schemes have been figured out and he either doesn't know how to change them or just can't. Garrett is more of a problem on the offense than TO. I might be a TO apologist but I just don't want around $10 million being wasted by cutting him when cap space is precious. I couldn't care less about Jerry's money.

Old
02-26-2009, 11:34 AM
BigG44

Quote:
This off-season is a failure as long as TO is still on the team.
I think the team is in more trouble if they cut him.

According to quite a few people that cover the team, the Cowboys are pretty much split on the issue. If they cut him, the majority of the defense and some offensive players will be pissed off. If they keep him, key offensive guys plus the coach are pissed, but they seem like they would be more responsible handling not getting their way than the T.O. bandwagon on the team.

Bottom line, T.O. is a moron. That dip**** needs to realize Tony Romo is his best shot at becoming (statistically) the 2nd best WR in league history. It sounds like Oakland would be his only other option. The guy only cares about himself and personal accomplishments. You’d think he wouldn’t be so stupid to burn his best chance at reaching his goals.

Old
02-26-2009, 12:01 PM
BigG44

According to Adam Schefter from the NFL Network, the cap is going up $4 million more dollars before tomorrow.

Quote:
The salary cap will grow in 2009.

Because teams didn’t spend as much as they were supposed to under the collective bargaining agreement the past three years, teams were notified Wednesday that the salary cap will increase over $4 million to $127 million for this coming year, according to sources with two NFL teams. The collective bargaining agreement calls for cap adjustment down if teams spend over the cap in cash and adjustment up if they don’t spend up to the cap.

It defies the recession and logic, but just before free agency, teams actually will have more flexibility and salary-cap room.
http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/25/sala...ding-for-2009/

According to Calvin Watkins, Dallas had $10 million in cap space before this news.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/ar...ee-agency.html

I don't know if Watkins’ numbers included the 4 RFA tenders. If anything, maybe they can still sign Chris Canty.

Closed Thread