HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canadiens players tested for banned substances

Old
02-26-2009, 09:16 AM
Lucius

vCash: 500
Even if any of them are using... If a single one of them tests positive, they deserve the book that will hit them. This had to be the most predictable random drug test ever.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 09:17 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
With our play of late I wouldn't suspect that it would be a problem.

Seriously though, all teams go through this. Montreal press is once again just trying to stir up conterversy and crap due to the alleged drug and gang reports last week.
I honestly seems to me like La Presse is trying to hint that the players are on drugs. It's like they have unsubstantiated rumours and they can't outright say it, but they DESPERATELY want to expose this.

It's almost like they take pleasure in causing problems.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 09:19 AM
Belso

I'm surprised they weren't tested earlier and I'm surprised the results take so much time.

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 09:23 AM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
I honestly seems to me like La Presse is trying to hint that the players are on drugs. It's like they have unsubstantiated rumours and they can't outright say it, but they DESPERATELY want to expose this.

They're definitely hinting given their stories last week. Fact is, every team gets tested every year at least once. Notice how it was never a story until this year?

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 09:23 AM
MathMan

Doesn't this happen for all teams? Every year?

Isn't it done three times per year?

The only noteworthy thing here is the timing. But there's only so much season time to run these tests in.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 09:26 AM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
Over/Under for how long this takes to appear on the Bruins board?

3, 2, 1, GO!
Over an hour later and it still hasn't. Nice try though.

I was just coming here to see what this was all about - steroids or recreational drugs. Whatever it is, it'll probably be forgotten in a couple of months.

Vic Rattlehead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 09:34 AM
Belso

Quote:

It only makes sense to check them AFTER it came out they were friends with a guy accused of drug trafficking. So the Media will turn this around and use it hoping they are positive results because they are in the business of selling news and they can't sell what isn't there.

The more interesting the news the more people will pay for it. If they make it look like the players are on drugs, then people will buy the paper, "just in case it true." but if they make it sound like it's only a routine thing, Montrealers won't really care much about following up and won't buy the papers.

Old
02-26-2009, 09:36 AM
Turbo

I'm surprised this pertinent piece of info, from in the RDS.ca article hasn't been mentioned yet:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDS
En vertu des règles de la Ligue, les tests effectués au cours d'une saison sont inopinés. Selon une liste aléatoire, dix équipes sont visitées une fois au cours de la saison, dix autres deux fois et dix autres à trois reprises.
League rules stipulate that random testing of 10 teams will be performed once in the season, 10 other teams will be tested twice, and the other 10 three times.

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/270005.html

In other words, this probably has nothing to do with the recent stories... it's par for the course and as far as we know it's the only test so far so the team could be in the first list of teams tested only once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Doesn't this happen for all teams? Every year?

Isn't it done three times per year?

The only noteworthy thing here is the timing. But there's only so much season time to run these tests in.
Yeah. Seems like media is trying to make a story out of nothing, as usual, using innuendo to stir the pot. All teams are tested, many multiple times.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 02-26-2009 at 10:29 AM.
Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 09:42 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso View Post
It only makes sense to check them AFTER it came out they were friends with a guy accused of drug trafficking. So the Media will turn this around and use it hoping they are positive results because they are in the business of selling news and they can't sell what isn't there.

The more interesting the news the more people will pay for it. If they make it look like the players are on drugs, then people will buy the paper, "just in case it true." but if they make it sound like it's only a routine thing, Montrealers won't really care much about following up and won't buy the papers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo View Post
Yeah. Seems like media is trying to make a story out of nothing, as usual, using innuendo to stir the pot. All teams are tested, many multiple times.

"Parasite" isn't the right word, but its the first one that comes to mind.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 09:44 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:

I understand the logic behind it, I just wish they didn't use exploitation tactics to sell papers.

Maybe if they actually covered sports properly, they wouldn't have to resort to tabloid journalism garbage. But of course, they'd much rather screw with the team, screw with the fanbase, and make it more difficult every single day to sign UFAs. It's a lot easier than being a journalist with integrity, which requires hard work, fact checking, and being an honourable person.

Old
02-26-2009, 09:47 AM
Belso

Quote:
I'm surprised this pertinent piece of info, from in the RDS.ca article hasn't been mentioned yet:

League rules stipulate that random testing of 10 teams will be performed once in the season, 10 other teams will be tested twice, and the other 10 three times.

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/270005.html

In other words, this probably has nothing to do with the recent stories... it's par for the course and as far as we know it's the only test so far so the team could be in the first list of teams tested only once.
I agree that there are random tests, but it still appropriate to test Roman, Sergei and Andrei because the NHL has started their own investigation into what went on with Pasquale Mangiola.

If you were in charge of this investigation and you were trying to find out what really happened here, wouldn't you call for a drug test? They don't really care about which stripper Sergei had dancing on his lap. It's the drugs and alcohol they are worried about. If I was in charge I would ask what happened to the three guys one at a time to see if their stories add up but you can't believe everything they say, right? "Sergei, did you ever buy drugs from Pasquale Mangiola?", "No.."

Would you say , Ok Sergei said no, we can go home. nothing here or would you say, well let's see first what we find in his blood and then ask questions?

Old
02-26-2009, 09:52 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

I just want to add, about this Pasquale dude...I asked some people who are more "in the know" with the entourage of the team and the club scene...This guy wasn't even a gangster. He's the typical dude who brags about his connections, with the Habs, with the mafia, etc...He would always talk about how he's best buddies with all the Habs and goes to all the games for free and whatever...He's just a twerp, trying to impress people. In the end, the guy was arrested because he's a fall guy.

Old
02-26-2009, 09:54 AM
Turbo

Quote:
I agree that there are random tests, but it still appropriate to test Roman, Sergei and Andrei because the NHL has started their own investigation into what went on with Pasquale Mangiola.

If you were in charge of this investigation and you were trying to find out what really happened here, wouldn't you call for a drug test? They don't really care about which stripper Sergei had dancing on his lap. It's the drugs and alcohol they are worried about. If I was in charge I would ask what happened to the three guys one at a time to see if their stories add up but you can't believe everything they say, right? "Sergei, did you ever buy drugs from Pasquale Mangiola?", "No.."

Would you say , Ok Sergei said no, we can go home. nothing here or would you say, well let's see first what we find in his blood and then ask questions?
It would depend on what's possible under the CBA. "Random" is a very special word that implies that the powers that be can't just decide who to test on a whim. These things are likely sorted out in advance with the help of lawyers and a schedule kept with those that are in-need-to-know (i.e. the lawyers and higher ups at the testing agency). Otherwise it wouldn't be "random".

If there were real charges against our mob-o-phile trio, things might be different though, again based on what the CBA allows, and would probably involve the law.

Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 09:55 AM
DeVries*

Somebody knows where to find the official list of banned substances in the NHL? I train (and was a trainer in a gym) for a while and tried many (legal) supplements, but want to see if there is case of legally sold supps banned by the NHL. I'm just curious.

DeVries* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 09:56 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

If only the journalists had the same zeal for the power brokers of the world. But no, like John Stinton said, they are all ****** dancing at the feet of mammon.

Old
02-26-2009, 09:57 AM
Belso

Quote:
I understand the logic behind it, I just wish they didn't use exploitation tactics to sell papers.

Maybe if they actually covered sports properly, they wouldn't have to resort to tabloid journalism garbage. But of course, they'd much rather screw with the team, screw with the fanbase, and make it more difficult every single day to sign UFAs. It's a lot easier than being a journalist with integrity, which requires hard work, fact checking, and being an honourable person.
That's the problem with journalism.. I agree 100% with you. I was just trying to say that it all about money.. I love hockey. I have RIS on all day. I don't watch anything else. I want to hear the news on the Habs. But let me make something clear. I don't want to see Saku's eye all ****ed up in the hospital or see Theo playing with his kids at home while RDS spies through his window. I would rather have this sort of stuff banned.

If Theo was murdering kids in his home, then I'm all for the Police videotaping him in his home. But the Media should have limits. Saku said. "I want to be left alone" when he was in the hospital. After all he's done for Hockey fans and the community, Why not respect him on this? I did not buy that paper.

I agree with you and would rather see the Habs talk about the win or do off ice interviews and talk about their hobbies. I don't care about what things they are doing closed doors. The problem is too many people do care. And if sales are down, Newspapers are going to juice up stories just to bring sales back up..

Old
02-26-2009, 10:00 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
I just want to add, about this Pasquale dude...I asked some people who are more "in the know" with the entourage of the team and the club scene...This guy wasn't even a gangster. He's the typical dude who brags about his connections, with the Habs, with the mafia, etc...He would always talk about how he's best buddies with all the Habs and goes to all the games for free and whatever...He's just a twerp, trying to impress people. In the end, the guy was arrested because he's a fall guy.
He wouldn't be the first fall guy. But anyway, I mean, Rumsfeld shook hands with Saddam and sold him weapons to go up against Iran, and yet the US vilified Iraq later on.... just saying, the journalists everywhere, including those in Montreal didn't get their panties in a bunch over that one. Yet take 3 guys from a sports franchise socializing with a mobster who they all said they didn't know he was a mobster, wow, then, let's all go crazy!!! Why so serious?

Old
02-26-2009, 10:00 AM
Jarmusch

Quote:
Exactly the impression I had.

Jarmusch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 10:03 AM
CPrice

Quote:
Thats the impression I got from Hammers interview as well.

CPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 10:07 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
That's the problem with journalism.. I agree 100% with you. I was just trying to say that it all about money.. I love hockey. I have RIS on all day. I don't watch anything else. I want to hear the news on the Habs. But let me make something clear. I don't want to see Saku's eye all ****ed up in the hospital or see Theo playing with his kids at home while RDS spies through his window. I would rather have this sort of stuff banned.

If Theo was murdering kids in his home, then I'm all for the Police videotaping him in his home. But the Media should have limits. Saku said. "I want to be left alone" when he was in the hospital. After all he's done for Hockey fans and the community, Why not respect him on this? I did not buy that paper.

I agree with you and would rather see the Habs talk about the win or do off ice interviews and talk about their hobbies. I don't care about what things they are doing closed doors. The problem is too many people do care. And if sales are down, Newspapers are going to juice up stories just to bring sales back up..
It's unfortunate that there are so many mongoloids who eat this sort of garbage up. They don't care about hockey, they just love seeing the team, management and the fans squirm.

Old
02-26-2009, 10:13 AM
Belso

Quote:
It would depend on what's possible under the CBA. "Random" is a very special word that implies that the powers that be can't just decide who to test on a whim. These things are likely sorted out in advance with the help of lawyers and a schedule kept with those that are in-need-to-know (i.e. the lawyers and higher ups at the testing agency). Otherwise it wouldn't be "random".

If there were real charges against our mob-o-phile trio, things might be different though, again based on what the CBA allows, and would probably involve the law.
Well this goes back to what I was saying about this case. it's a special case. the NHL is doing a separate investigation on these 3 players. I didn't read the CBA and I don't know what's in there, but depending on how it's written, they may have the right to check for drugs when there are reasons to do so..

For example, when a player hit's a another in the head but no call is made and no penalties are called, the NHL will not review the play unless a team complains and asks for a review. But in there is a penalty on the play and the play is thrown out of the game I believe that the NHL has to review it even if the hit was clean.

So what I was trying to say is that if the NHL begins an investigation which involves drugs and alcohol, it might be written in the CBA (and IMO would not work efficiently if it was not included) that testing of the people involved is mandatory.

This is also an important event. If a player is arrested for having cocaine on his person, how could the CBA not have a stipulation not to test players for drugs? Now the 3 players involved here not only may have used drugs but may also have been middle men for other NHL players if Pasquale Mangiola was really a dealer.. This is really scary for the NHL who are trying to keep their sport clean.

So I can't see how the CBA would neglect drug testing for players involved in a possible drug ring. It just doesn't make sense. It's not like they just show up at Kovalev's house and say, "we heard form someone that you may take drugs, therefore we are doing an exception and testing you now". There is 100% proof that the 3 players involved spoke the Pasquale Mangiola on a regular basis and hung out with the guy. If it's more then enough to start an investigation, then I would assume it's also more then enough to do drug tests on the players involved.

Old
02-26-2009, 10:23 AM
GoneAway

vCash:
I bet my left nut that each team gets tipped off prior to.

I mean, would the league really want half a team (not the Habs but any team for that matter) to be exposed as cokeheads?

Old
02-26-2009, 10:25 AM
onice

Quote:
It's unfortunate that there are so many mongoloids who eat this sort of garbage up. They don't care about hockey, they just love seeing the team, management and the fans squirm.
There are a few mongoloids dishing it out like my main suspect Tremblay. I smell his presence in all this.

If the players were using, the cops would have them on tape buying from this so called gangster.

Last edited by onice: 02-26-2009 at 10:45 AM.
onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 10:31 AM
Belso

Quote:
Not just that. The media aren't always ethical and may have their own agenda. Ok let's take Kovalev for example. Most fans like the guy. When he came back from his 2 game sit, the crowd was chanting his name.. So we can assume that some people don't care he's not French Canadian. But I know that there are some people who really believe that the Habs will only become good again when the team is almost all french again. Now it's easy for Marc Defoy to write that he has a "source" that told him Kovalev, bla, bla, bla.... Journalist have the "right to keep their sources secret. So how do you know there really is a source? You don't do you. Only God really knows.

Now reporters who believe that they would do a FAVOR to the team for running these "problem" players might use this as a tool and come up with BS stories to get these guys to say, "screw it, I'm leaving if I have to defend myself every other week!" I'm not saying Marc Defoy lied. I have no proof. But he has no Proof it's true if he keeps his sources secret either.

So my argument is as valid as Marc Defoy. IMO some reporters are trying to run some players out of town (Not only Russians) and are using unethical means to do so.. Again I'm not saying every reporter is, but when I hear BS stories from some guy who seems to hate a player to begin with, I am not naive and can make up my own mind on who is lying. Reporters remember the **** storm that happened last year when it came out in some Russian newspapers about what Kovy had to say about playing in Montreal. It's too easy to bring this up after Bob sends Kovy home and stir up problems for the player..

So until reporters stop being able to keep their "sources" a secret, you will always have reporters writing BS stories to sell papers and/or use this power for their own needs.

Old
02-26-2009, 10:45 AM
Bitterman

Seeing that all teams are "randomly" tested from once to three times a season it'd be interesting to see if this test was already scheduled by the league or if the league and/or team asked for one after the NHL security reps came to visit. It's possible the Habs have already been tested this season and it just didn't get picked up by the media.

I for one am glad the testing is being done because I feel a lot of this story is a lot older than it seems. Hamrlik stated in his Czech interview that he hasn't had any contact with that mafia dude "this season" so it looks like the wire taps were in place for a long time (a year +) before the raids. We also know Gainey has had his ear to the ground and there's been an endless line of rats and rumor mongers willing to fill it so my bet is that this test is actually a follow up test, to see who's still using after the Habs became aware of the problem internally and approached the players involved.

Combine that and the riot act Gainey read the team just prior to his PC and I think this round of tests will give him the answer he needs on who wants to stay and who doesn't for next season. I don't think the results will be in until after the trade deadline but it's certainly possible the mail going to the lab just got stamped "Rush".

Bitterman is offline   Reply With Quote