HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ossi and Metro Waived Metro to MTL Ossi to VAN

Old
02-26-2009, 01:04 PM
decadentia

vCash: 500
Im not shocked by this, but I don't agree with the move. Signing Ossi was pure gravy, he played well for us for most of the year and cost us nothing but cap space. I find him more reliable than Alberts, with less of a cap hit...

I suppose it would make everything easier to understand the logic with Stevens putting him under the bus, but I tend to look at results on the ice myself.

I'm sure in Holmgren's eyes he was a necessary loss for the better good, I just wonder if something else could have been done.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 01:04 PM
pcgflyers12*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinRiles View Post
**** you, homer! **** you!
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha haha

pcgflyers12* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 01:06 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
I still think Ossi is better than Alberts. How did he go from first pairing to waivers?

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 01:07 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2539
From Anothony S.'s blog:

http://www3.allaroundphilly.com/blog...onys/blog.html
Quote:

The Flyers waived both Glen Metropolit and Ossi Vaananen this afternoon in order to make room for the return of Danny Briere tomorrow night.

Both Metropolit and Vaananen make $1 million this season, although Metropolit is signed through next season as well.

If both players go unclaimed, the Flyers will have the ability to send them to the Phantoms of the AHL if need be.

This leaves the Flyers with a few options.

They most likely will send a combination of three of Metropolit, Vaananen, Lasse Kukkonen and Darroll Powe to the Phantoms to clear space for Briere.

Kukkonen makes $875,000, while Powe counts for $450,000 against the cap.

Briere makes $6.5 million and the Flyers need to clear a little more than $2 million to bring him back.

If either Metropolit or Vaananen are claimed off waivers, the Flyers would still get salary cap relief.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfFzODoD7YY
MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 01:08 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
I still think Ossi is better than Alberts. How did he go from first pairing to waivers?
He is not playing to what level he is capable of. Ossi is not being physical like he can be. I think that is the best part of his game and he is not using his body.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 01:09 PM
pcgflyers12*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
i say we move them to the Phantoms. you never know when somebody will get hurt and we will need somebody with i guess you could say "pro experience" hope we can work something out. i think we need to hang on to them just in case.

pcgflyers12* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 01:10 PM
BringBackStevens

Powe does not deserve to go back. He's playing great and makes the minimum or damn near it

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 01:11 PM
shamski7

Send a message via AIM to shamski7
in homer i trust

shamski7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 01:13 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
Powe does not deserve to go back. He's playing great and makes the minimum or damn near it
I am not understanding the logic in Powe going down. Yes i know they want to get Danny back in the lineup but who is going to be the 4th line center? We are going to have 11 forwards in the lineup.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 01:16 PM
HoverCarle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
I am not understanding the logic in Powe going down. Yes i know they want to get Danny back in the lineup but who is going to be the 4th line center? We are going to have 11 forwards in the lineup.
well technically Metro and Vaananen arent on the phantoms yet.

From what Irish Blues was telling me yesterday Kukkonen+Powe would not be enough but Kukkonen + Metro would be enough for Briere to come back. Still dont see the point in Waiving Ossi. Knowing Holmer he'll aquire someone worse than Ossi at the deadline for a 3rd rounder

Old
02-26-2009, 01:23 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
It is dealing with hypotheticals right now but both Kukkonen and Powe are on the roster and I assume at least one stays. If so, 11 forwards and 7 dmen could be dressed with Kukkonen moving up front on the short term.

If Metro or Ossi aren't claimed (by 11:00 a.m. tomorrow?), then one could remain on the roster (like Dowd last season) I would imagine.

Old
02-26-2009, 01:30 PM
bennysflyers16

If this is all we need to do to get Danny back in the line-up,

I think Ossi is a better Dman than Alberts, but Alberts fills a better role that Ossi.

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 01:32 PM
ToTheNet

Send a message via AIM to ToTheNet
Quote:
It is dealing with hypotheticals right now but both Kukkonen and Powe are on the roster and I assume at least one stays. If so, 11 forwards and 7 dmen could be dressed with Kukkonen moving up front on the short term.

If Metro or Ossi aren't claimed (by 11:00 a.m. tomorrow?), then one could remain on the roster (like Dowd last season) I would imagine.
I've been saying this over and over, but no one is listening.

ToTheNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 01:32 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Sam at the Inq. posted this, too:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...es_return.html
Quote:

The Flyers are also expected to send Lasse Kukkonen to the Phantoms, and Darroll Powe could also be sent to the AHL team.

The Flyers need room to add Briere's $6.5 million salary and be under the $56.7 million cap.

Metropolit, who has been a dependable penalty-killer, had 14 pounts (four goals, 10 assists) as a fourth-line center and was minus-1 in the plus-minus rankings. Vaananen, who had 10 points (one goal, nine assits) and provided a physical presence on defense, was a plus-7.

If they clear waivers by 11 a,m. tomorrow, they can be sent to the AHL Phantoms and their salaries would come off the cap. It is also possible that one (or both) of the players will clear waivers but remain with the Flyers.

In all probability, the Flyers will have to lose the salaries of three of the four players - Metropolit, Vaananen, Kukkonen and Powe - to make room for Briere.

Old
02-26-2009, 01:33 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

I guess I'm not terribly surprised...but it really is kind of a crappy situation.

The thing I really like about Alberts is his physical play. He's also a better PK'er than Ossi, his size and reach being greatly beneficial...much like Hatch. However, on the whole, he definitely makes more boneheaded plays than Ossi. And overall, Ossi is more solid, more reliable...strictly in terms of his defensive coverage, which definitely needs to be a top priority for this team. And for that reason, I'd waive Alberts before Ossi even if their salaries were the same. Given that Alberts makes a bit more, the decision to waive him first becomes even easier.

Honestly, strictly in terms of defensive assignments...Vaananen is more reliable than Carle and arguably Jones as well. This team needs to be better defensively about as much as it needs anything, so it's frustrating to see them waiving one of their better defensive defenseman.

I won't at all be surprised to see Ossi picked up. Question though, for those more knowledgeable than I on the subject...how does the whole thing with salary and waivers work? If someone picks Ossi up, they take his whole salary off our cap, correct? They take on the full prorated 1 mill, right? That whole thing where the team only takes half, and we stay on the hook for half...is that just re-entry waivers? As in, if Ossi clears now, goes to the Phantoms...but then we try and bring him back up, he has to pass through re-entry waivers, and if someone picks him up they take on half of his prorated salary, and we stay on the hook for half of his prorated salary? Am I getting this right?

And while I'm at it...another question...how exactly does the waiver situation work in terms of the other teams? Each team gets an opportunity starting with a certain team, right? Does it just start with the team that currently has the worst record, and go up from there? I'm really fuzzy on all this stuff.

As for Metro, he's a good player...I really like having him on the team, and obviously he has produced a bit more of late...but it's not surprising to see him become a victim of the situation.

The whole situation is pretty crappy....but when it comes down to it, I think the reason it's become so crappy is largely due to a string of questionable decisions made by Holmgren in the past year or so. Oh well, it is what it is now, hopefully it all works out for the best.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 01:33 PM
CptCannon

Why didn't they just trade Jones for a 8th round pick or something?

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 01:35 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Because they have three digit IQs.

Or was that a trick question?

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 01:38 PM
Get Carter

Quote:
There's only 7 rounds in the draft.

Get Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 01:40 PM
shamski7

Send a message via AIM to shamski7
Quote:
lets be real here... do you really think anyone else wants randy jones on their roster?

shamski7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 01:43 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Carter View Post
There's only 7 rounds in the draft.
w0000!

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamski7 View Post
lets be real here... do you really think anyone else wants randy jones on their roster?
l.o.l.

No.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

I don't think there's any question that there are some other teams who would be interested in Jones.

The reason Jones hasn't gone anywhere is that Homer hasn't tried to move him...he doesn't want to move him.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 01:44 PM
HoverCarle*

Quote:

Well Kukkonen makes more than Powe, and it would make more sense to keep 12 forwards and 6 d.

Im pretty sure(courtesy of IB) that if Metro and Kukkonen go down, we have enough room. So I hope to god Ossi clears.

Gagne-Briere-Lupul
Hartnell-Carter-Upshall
Knuble-Richards-Giroux
Cote-Powe-Asham

Timonen-Coburn
Carle-Parent
Jones-Alberts
Vaananen

Old
02-26-2009, 01:46 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Ossi clear them waivers.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 01:53 PM
PF

Some people really overdo it with Jones, I don't like his contract either and I don't think he's great by any stretch but he's at least serviceable and I think he holds some value.

I like Ossi and think at least some of the 29 other teams could use him, I expected him to be waived as he was being used as 7th Dman on the team, to the people laying blame at Holmgren's feet for doing so I'm not sure what they expect him to do, clearly he is not favoured by the coach so why would he waive one of the others?

Thought Metropolit had got a little better lately after a period of doing nothing with himself every time he was on the ice, he could be a solid pickup for someone but maybe not the contenders out there and I guess those who aren't contenders for the playoffs at this stage probably can't be bothered to add salary or worsen their draft position by improving so maybe he will clear.

PF is offline   Reply With Quote