HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

TSN Talking about the Habs and the deadline

Old
02-26-2009, 02:54 PM
x-bob

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
give me Jokinen...excellent buy-low candidate
I was thinking the same thing. He is having a tough season but Jokinen has great talent and he would look nice on our team.

x-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 02:55 PM
Anthony P

We couldn't fit that scenario under our cap....

Anthony P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 02:56 PM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
jokinen and Morris would be solid additions if we could swing something with PHX...

to Mtl: Jokinen, Morris

to Phx: Pleks, O'Byrne, Carle, one of the KHL Russian assets

Tanguay- Koivu- Kost
Max Pac- Jokinen- Kovalev
Higgins- Lapierre- Lats
Kosto- Chipchura- Begin/Dandy/Laraque/S.Kost

Markov- Komi
Hamrlik- Schneider
Gorges- Morris
brisebois/dandy

Price, Halak

... could do some damage come playoffs...

if we could somehow manage to squeeze Kevin Porter out of PHX as well... he's a little smallish, but had amazing chemistry with Max down in Michigan. Having him and Maxwell duel it out for Koivu's spot down the road would be fine by me
Stewart is a must in the starting lineup and I switched Pacioretty and Higgins. Also D'Agostini should be in the lineup.

Tanguay- Koivu- AK46
Higgins - Jokinen- Kovalev
Max Pac - Lapierre- D'Agostini / Lats
Kosto- Chipchura- Stewart

Begin/Dandy/Laraque/S.Kost

Markov- Komi
Hamrlik- Schneider
Gorges- Morris
brisebois/dandy

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 03:00 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
jokinen and Morris would be solid additions if we could swing something with PHX...

to Mtl: Jokinen, Morris

to Phx: Pleks, O'Byrne, Carle, one of the KHL Russian assets

Tanguay- Koivu- Kost
Max Pac- Jokinen- Kovalev
Higgins- Lapierre- Lats
Kosto- Chipchura- Begin/Dandy/Laraque/S.Kost

Markov- Komi
Hamrlik- Schneider
Gorges- Morris
brisebois/dandy

Price, Halak

... could do some damage come playoffs...

if we could somehow manage to squeeze Kevin Porter out of PHX as well... he's a little smallish, but had amazing chemistry with Max down in Michigan. Having him and Maxwell duel it out for Koivu's spot down the road would be fine by me
You would need to find a taker for all of Dandenault, Begin, and Laraque to even consider this, and since they'd need to be replaced with young players on the roster, we likely still wouldn't have the cap room needed to ice that roster.

Also, I think the idea is to add Jokinen so that we have three offensive centers and Lapierre on the fourth line. Not sure I want to move Pleks in that deal. Either way, Jokinen AND Morris would likely be too tough to squeeze.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 03:01 PM
Talent Analyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarke19 View Post
The salary cap says "Hello".
fixed cereal.

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 03:01 PM
C-Saku Koivu MTL

I'm on the fence with Jokinen.

He has a terrible attitude, not good on faceoff at all for a centerman and he is just as bad as Kovalev when it comes to making costly turnovers. He also has never proven to be able to bring his game to another level (thinking about his last WC apparition because he never played in the playoffs yet).

On the other hand, he is a big size center we haven't had for far too long and nothing tells us we will get one soon. He is also a shoot first kinda guy and should work well with a playmaking winger like Tanguay.

He covers some needs that we clearly have been needing for a while but he also brings quite a few issues that seems to raise a red flag. If we could somehow get him, I'm all for it because let's be honest, we don't have many other options if any at all for this year or this summer.

He will be like with Kovalev, it will be a love or hate him player here and just like Kovalev, if he produce, nobody will ever say anything wrong with what else comes with him.

C-Saku Koivu MTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 03:02 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony P View Post
We couldn't fit that scenario under our cap....
Actually, yes we could, because you aren't considering that's its only the prorated amounts left of the salary that go on the cap, and also that we have Bouillon and Lang on LTIR for probably the rest of the season, which means we can go over the cap by 5,8 million, as long as only two players account for this amount. Altho, I've calculated with Jokinen only, on second thought, I don't think it would add-up with Morris. But we could definetly fit Jokinen.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 03:03 PM
smon

Jokinen for Plekanec? I wouldn't be too surprised if something along those lines happened. Makes sense that the Coyotes would want a centre, makes sense they'd want a younger one than Jokinen if they were to move him.

Further, if they're tired of perpetual rebuilding, there wouldn't be many teams at all able to offer up an actual solid NHL centre like Plekanec...they'd be offering prospect/pick.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 03:08 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by smon View Post
Jokinen for Plekanec? I wouldn't be too surprised if something along those lines happened. Makes sense that the Coyotes would want a centre, makes sense they'd want a younger one than Jokinen if they were to move him.

http://www.faceoff.com/hockey/teams/...tml?id=1328988

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 03:09 PM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Actually, yes we could, because you aren't considering that's its only the prorated amounts left of the salary that go on the cap, and also that we have Bouillon and Lang on LTIR for probably the rest of the season, which means we can go over the cap by 5,8 million, as long as only two players account for this amount. Altho, I've calculated with Jokinen only, on second thought, I don't think it would add-up with Morris. But we could definetly fit Jokinen.
I thought Schneider was taking up most, if not all, of the Lang money already.

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 03:10 PM
Artyukhin*

guys what about ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ak8VYknG9sw

Old
02-26-2009, 03:11 PM
habtastic

DO NOT TRADE PLEKY!

he will be valuable for many years to come
Jokinen...not so much.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 03:13 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
Steve or George ? on the way out?

and any of the players rumored to be doing bad deeds might have changed Mr G game plans over the last week . we will see soon .

Old
02-26-2009, 03:14 PM
Doctor House

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Saku Koivu MTL View Post

He will be like with Kovalev, it will be a love or hate him player here and just like Kovalev, if he produce, nobody will ever say anything wrong with what else comes with him.
His Stats are more consistent than Kovy.

I heard he and Koivu are not tight is that true?

Doctor House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 03:26 PM
Crystal Met

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=612840

i hope this is not gainey plan although i woudnt mind witt

Crystal Met is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 03:30 PM
gusfring

Have we traded Laraque for Cole yet?

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 03:34 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
it looks like Cole is a King

https://www.eastcoastcatalogue.com/s...KC_tea_web.jpg

Old
02-26-2009, 03:43 PM
CPrice

Out of the list of centers the only one I would want would be Jokinen with Antro as a distant second choice.

CPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 03:43 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Schneider's cap hit is prorated. Its 1,6 mil, and if the Habs wish so, they can put him over Bouillon's cap space. Leaving all the extra cap space of Lang to another player.

I was surprised to learn recently that traded contracts are prorated, but that the cap hit on a daily basis for the whole team is not. So Lang's cap hit of 4 mil is not prorated for the number of games he had left or the number of games he will miss. They calculate the cap at each game, on a yearly salary cap hit, so when we acquire a player like Schneider, only his prorated cap hit is included in this, but when a player like Lang who is on the team, is injured, they add his entire salary as an extra to the cap, but only one player can take up that amount, which at this time of the year, most prorated contract, even Ovechkin, wouldn't even take up completely.

Old
02-26-2009, 03:46 PM
Anthony P

Quote:
Yeah that's what i thought too.... shame that the cap system doesn't allow you to accumulate salaries for lost games....

Anthony P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 03:48 PM
Kafka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
Kovalev to Pheonix... yes you heard it first!
Nah, I said it two-three weeks ago. Let's just hope both teams could build something around that. For the first time, Koivu would have someone from his home country with the big club (beside Marty Jarventi you played some preseason games).

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 03:49 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
Nobody ever said that. Only your rampant imagination did. I and others have talked of the possibility that the Oilers might want him in a package for Cole, but don't let the exageration kill you. It wouldn't be a pity tho.

Oh and BTW, just so you don't confuse things, its not Bryan Burke who traded for Whitney today.

Old
02-26-2009, 03:51 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Saku Koivu MTL View Post
I'm on the fence with Jokinen.

He has a terrible attitude, not good on faceoff at all for a centerman and he is just as bad as Kovalev when it comes to making costly turnovers. He also has never proven to be able to bring his game to another level (thinking about his last WC apparition because he never played in the playoffs yet).

On the other hand, he is a big size center we haven't had for far too long and nothing tells us we will get one soon. He is also a shoot first kinda guy and should work well with a playmaking winger like Tanguay.

He covers some needs that we clearly have been needing for a while but he also brings quite a few issues that seems to raise a red flag. If we could somehow get him, I'm all for it because let's be honest, we don't have many other options if any at all for this year or this summer.

Two seasons ago he hit 39 goals and 91 points. I think it's a risk worth taking. I feel confident Koivu can light a fire under his ass and the fact he's finally in the playoffs he'll want to make an impact. He's only 30 years old and 5.25 million cap hit is pretty low these days.

We can't be too picky, the Habs have needed a centre of his size and quality for a long long time.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 03:53 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Schneider's cap hit is prorated. Its 1,6 mil, and if the Habs wish so, they can put him over Bouillon's cap space. Leaving all the extra cap space of Lang to another player.

I was surprised to learn recently that traded contracts are prorated, but that the cap hit on a daily basis for the whole team is not. So Lang's cap hit of 4 mil is not prorated for the number of games he had left or the number of games he will miss. They calculate the cap at each game, on a yearly salary cap hit, so when we acquire a player like Schneider, only his prorated cap hit is included in this, but when a player like Lang who is on the team, is injured, they add his entire salary as an extra to the cap, but only one player can take up that amount, which at this time of the year, most prorated contract, even Ovechkin, wouldn't even take up completely.
Are you certain of this Ozy? Not that I'm doubting you, but logically, it wouldn't make much sense. You are replacing apples with oranges. I'm under the impression that you can replace Lang's 4M annual salary with another guy who has up to a 4M annual salary, and not replace Lang's 4M with a guy whose prorated amount is up to 4M. I could be wrong, I just always assumed it was like that, and that is how it makes sense in my mind.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 03:56 PM
smon

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Two seasons ago he hit 39 goals and 91 points. I think it's a risk worth taking. I feel confident Koivu can light a fire under his ass and the fact he's finally in the playoffs he'll want to make an impact. He's only 30 years old and 5.25 million cap hit is pretty low these days.

We can't be too picky, the Habs have needed a centre of his size and quality for a long long time.
Fair enough, although I wouldn't expect the world from him. He can get points. But he can't carry a team, and he couldn't handle the pressure in Florida...imagine the pressure in Montreal compared to that

As for his size, well, he doesn't use it that much at all.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote