HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Not enough Veteran presence??

Closed Thread

Old
08-23-2004, 12:37 AM
NewHabsEra*

vCash: 500
I cant agree more with Tritone and de mars...

Bonk >>> Juneau

Perezhogin >>> Dackell

Plekanec >> Perreault (Ya... ya... will see)

Hossa > Dagenais

Komisarek > Quintal

Kostitsyn could make the jump at some point in the season...

We have great depth, we are extremmely well coatched and some of our kids are already very mature...

Cant see us not progressing a big step this year...

Old
08-23-2004, 01:54 AM
Habbadasher

One can't deny that we got rid of a lot of veteran presence. However, I am also of the mind that it is next to impossible to predict where a team will end up in the standings. We could take a tumble if a few things go wrong (ie. young guns fail to produce, injuries, etc.) We could take a step up if things go well (remember, we were a mere six opportune goals, over an 82 game schedule, from being first in the division).

Simply impossible to predict how things will turn out, but a valid observation.

Old
08-23-2004, 10:01 AM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea

Bonk >>> Juneau

Perezhogin >>> Dackell

Hossa > Dagenais

Komisarek > Quintal

We have great depth, we are extremmely well coatched and some of our kids are already very mature...

Well, all i can say is, i hope your right.................

Old
08-23-2004, 10:07 AM
x-bob

All we did is take out un-necessary vets. We took out Juneau, Dackel, Quintal and Perrault and we replaced them with youguer, faster and more skilled players. I don't see how this hurts our team.

Last edited by x-bob: 08-23-2004 at 10:57 AM.
Old
08-23-2004, 10:08 AM
mcphee

I wish they had a Keane type personality on the team, someone who has some stature and will address players after sub par efforts. Problem is, the guy has to be able to play. Mckay couldn't assume that role because he had nothing left in the tank.

Old
08-23-2004, 10:25 AM
Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea

Bonk >>> Juneau

Perezhogin >>> Dackell

Hossa > Dagenais

Komisarek > Quintal

Old
08-23-2004, 10:30 AM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-bob
All we did is take out un-necessary vets. We tool out Juneau, Dackel, Quintal and Perrault and we replaced them with youguer, faster and more skilled players. I don't see how this hurts our team.
It doesnt hurt the team at all. What im saying is their impact may not be felt next season, as they are till young. It may take another couple of years before they can get going. Also raised the question, will we have enough vets next season, and most people here seem to think so....

Old
08-23-2004, 10:35 AM
symon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
I wish they had a Keane type personality on the team, someone who has some stature and will address players after sub par efforts. Problem is, the guy has to be able to play. Mckay couldn't assume that role because he had nothing left in the tank.
Yep, I think a player like Keane will be something really needed in this team. Even if Juneau and Quintal will be easily replaced by new players (ie Bonk, Komisarek), I think their leadership will hardly miss.

Old
08-23-2004, 10:50 AM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
I think some people may be very disappointed next year. I love the Habs and all but, honestly, they did play over their heads a little last year. Ribs, Ryder, Souray, and Dags (to a certain extent) all had fantastic seasons and it remains to be seen whether they can put up similar numbers next year. Surely, the addition of Bonk and (hopefully) Kovalev will help us greatly, but I think people are also underrating the vets we let go and overrating the rookies that are stepping in. At the present time, Perreault, Juneau, and Quintal are better than Hossa, Pleks, and Hainsey. Sure they have good potential but to expect them to do as well as 15 year vets in their rookie year is a little demanding i think.

Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled that we got rid of those guys to make room for the young'uns but I think people are expecting too much too soon from these guys.

Old
08-23-2004, 11:25 AM
Joe Cole

Whether this team is better or worse then last years, it won't be because of the veterens we are losing.

Juneau- any player can be taught this role, and be more physical at it
Dackel- I do not think we will miss him. Sunny may get his minutes.
Langdon- nice guy, decent fighter, so what.
Quintal- at times he was a main part of the D, but he has lost so many steps...now he is just too slow. Let him retire in LA, where all old Habs go to cash in an extra few checks.

The fact that these guys are not on the roster will make no difference. Not on the ice (that's for sure) and not in the dressing room. Guys like Rivet just have to pick up the torch and hold it high.

...and nobody said that BG is finished tinkering with the lineup. Who knows who else will be wearing le flannel.

Old
08-23-2004, 11:53 AM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole
Whether this team is better or worse then last years, it won't be because of the veterens we are losing.

Juneau- any player can be taught this role, and be more physical at it
Dackel- I do not think we will miss him. Sunny may get his minutes.
Langdon- nice guy, decent fighter, so what.
Quintal- at times he was a main part of the D, but he has lost so many steps...now he is just too slow. Let him retire in LA, where all old Habs go to cash in an extra few checks.

The fact that these guys are not on the roster will make no difference. Not on the ice (that's for sure) and not in the dressing room. Guys like Rivet just have to pick up the torch and hold it high.

...and nobody said that BG is finished tinkering with the lineup. Who knows who else will be wearing le flannel.
I understand that any player can be taught the roles these players played, but whether you want to admit it or not, it takes more than a year in the NHL to learn it. They surely were not our stronger players, but they were, in the most part, very repsonsible defensively and didn't make mistakes that a rookie would make.

I won't miss having these guys, but I'm still not sure our team will be quite as good as most people on this board think. I predict a 7th seed again this year.

Old
08-23-2004, 12:11 PM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
I am not worry about that.We lost Dackell , I am sure Dackell wasn't a very good guy with leadership.I have to admit that Juneau was a vet.The only player who We'll miss will be Langdon.He was amazing leader and a great fighter.He was a great guy to have in the locker room.But I am sure Gainey will get one in the Waiver.But He won't be nice as Langdon and I am not He'll be a great leader like him.Quintal was a great veteran , some young D was lucky to play with him to learn a thing or two.But Imo Breezy can be the D veteran We want for now.Haisey was playing very well with Breezy last year.

Old
08-23-2004, 12:17 PM
Quagmier

Quote:
Originally Posted by fufonzo
I think some people may be very disappointed next year. I love the Habs and all but, honestly, they did play over their heads a little last year. Ribs, Ryder, Souray, and Dags (to a certain extent) all had fantastic seasons and it remains to be seen whether they can put up similar numbers next year. Surely, the addition of Bonk and (hopefully) Kovalev will help us greatly, but I think people are also underrating the vets we let go and overrating the rookies that are stepping in. At the present time, Perreault, Juneau, and Quintal are better than Hossa, Pleks, and Hainsey. Sure they have good potential but to expect them to do as well as 15 year vets in their rookie year is a little demanding i think.

Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled that we got rid of those guys to make room for the young'uns but I think people are expecting too much too soon from these guys.
The thing is, Perrault, Juneau and Quintal aren't being replaced by Pleks, Hossa and Hainsey... they're being replaced by Bonk, Komisarek, and, well whoever plays on the 4th line in place of Perrault.

None of those guys are expected to make a serious impact next season. A breakout year from one of them would be a pleasant surprise, but other than that they aren't going to be looked to to log big minutes.

Adding bonk and *hopefully* Kovalev replaces 2 slow vets with 2 elite players... IMO the biggest reason we'll improve on last year. The only question to me is, as you said, whether or not our gems from last year can continue to build on the success of last season.

Old
08-23-2004, 08:13 PM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by fufonzo
I understand that any player can be taught the roles these players played, but whether you want to admit it or not, it takes more than a year in the NHL to learn it. They surely were not our stronger players, but they were, in the most part, very repsonsible defensively and didn't make mistakes that a rookie would make.

I won't miss having these guys, but I'm still not sure our team will be quite as good as most people on this board think. I predict a 7th seed again this year.
I do not think that they will be #1 place either, but Bonk is an upgrade from Juneau, and Dackell vs Sunny is a wash. The true test is if the D will step it up. Komi is a year stronger, and a rookie will take Komi's spot as the "new guy".

But again.... I repeat....nobody said that BG is finished tinkering with the lineup. Who knows who else will be wearing le flannel.

Old
08-24-2004, 09:06 AM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
Couldn't the Béginator be that guy ? The guy shows up every games, will pot a baker's dozen goals through sheer will and hard work and has got a loud mouth ! I'm sure he won't be afraid to kick a few underachieving butts during practices and in the locker room.

As for the question itself I think we will be alright. It's already been said we dumped over-the-hill vets and yet no one mentionned Audette. Imagine if Kovalev resigns, what an upgrade ! Kovalev's been there and done that, Audette was a soft never-was. Bonk replaces Perreault's in the experience department and will be much more useful in a variety of roles on the ice. Quintal was a good veteran to have around but he wasn't bringing it on the ice anymore while Komisarek is shaping to be a pretty good inspiration with his physical play and size.

The only loss I'm concerned about - and it will sound pretty silly - is Langdon. As a never-whine-do-an-ungrateful-job-while-not-being-a-liability 4th line goon he was just perfect. You would notice our guys played much less scared when he was dressed. And we heard numerous times how appreciated he was by the coach and his teamates. Gainey has never been a guy who believed in goons and I totaly agree. But if you don't have goons you need to have a big, tough and fearless physical team. And we're just not there. Besides Langdon was more than just a goon. He was an inspiration, and apparently a positive influence in the locker room. I'm going to give a chance to Ivanan but I'm afraid he's a big downgrade on Langdon in about every categories except size. And we all know the saying "it's not the size of the dog that matters but the amount of fight in the dog" (or something close to it..).

Plus I'll just miss his newfie grin..

Closed Thread