HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ryan Smyth to Pittsburgh

Old
02-27-2009, 01:19 AM
DRL
Streak killers!

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to DRL Send a message via Yahoo to DRL
to me it seems pens fans seem to really over value their players on here, almost as badly as montreal fans.
Goligoski and Letang are small/soft offensively gifted players who are pretty average/below average in their own zone. We already have our own version and his name is Liles.

"Any interest in Talbot or Dupuis?
Or Gill, Scuderi, or Eaton?"
The Avs are a bottom 5 team right now, the above mentioned players are player you add to already contending teams who have a core in place, were talking 3rd liners and bottom pair defencemen, not assets that can land a top 6 scoring forward who can score 30+ a year.

The term power forward has also surely lost its meaning when guys like Kunitz
Fedotenko and Staal "fit" the description. Gritty, yes, power forwards, no.

I like Staal, but for all the pens fans crying on this thread about smyth having a "bloated" salary must surely look in the mirror at Staal's "bloated" contract aswell.

DRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 02:06 AM
PensFan68

I don't think we all over value them (just like every team though, there are fans that do), it's just a matter of need. Our team is built to have a few offensive d-men. We just traded one, so dealing another one isn't likely. Therefore, since it's not likely, if one of them is wanted, it'd have to be a rather good deal for us to move forward with it. At least I would think, but I'm not a GM so I don't know and nobody really does.

Staal, for how he's playing now, definately does have a bloated contract. Although it doesn't start till next year and maybe he'll be playing better. You do realize that Staal is 13 years younger and most likely his play will get better. Smyth, on the other hand, is already established. You know what you're going to get, and if anything, his play will start to decline soon.

PensFan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 02:07 AM
NHL33*

I cringe every time I see Pittsburgh come up in trade rumors or proposals.

Pens can't afford Smyth's contract.
Staal does not impress everyone.
Avs aren't interested in dealing Smyth.

Life.

NHL33* is offline   Reply With Quote