HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jokinen - Gomez

Old
02-27-2009, 01:39 AM
ssj335

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to ssj335
Jokinen - Gomez

To Phoenix: Scott Gomez

To New York: Olli Jokinen

what are your thoughts?? I think it makes a lot of sense as both have underachieved this year.

But I'm a much bigger fan of Jokinen so maybe the Rangers would need to add something like a pick, prospect or another swap.

ssj335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 03:50 AM
ssj335

Send a message via MSN to ssj335
any comments by Ranger/Coyote fans?

ssj335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 03:52 AM
boredmale

If Phoenix trade Ollie, i assume it is to cut salary. Trading for Gomez in that reguard is counter productive(although all things being equal I rather have Gomez)

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 04:15 AM
Blank

Phx wouldn't touch Gomezs' contract..

They're working on a tight budget, so they can't spend that much on a long term-multimillion contract. If they did spend that, I'd guess they'd rather lock up some of their own UFA-to-bes.

Blank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 06:46 AM
britdevil
Tea with milk...

Phoenix cannot afford that contract.

britdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 07:50 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Olli has a little more than five and a half million dollars left on his deal. Gomez has a little over thirty five and a half million dollars left on his deal. According to these two articles, the Coyotes aren't even being allowed to exend Derek Morris an offer longer than one year. We are trying to attract new owners. Having an extra thirty million dollar anchor of committed salary over the next half decade doesn't help. We just aren't in a position to be taking on multi-million dollar, multi-year deals. It's not going to happen.

Quote:
"Obviously, they don't know where they're at financially, with the ownership groups and such, so a one-year deal is where it's at right now, and obviously I'm looking for more than a one-year deal , being 30 years old, so we're kind of stuck at that right now," Morris said.
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyo...otesnb-CR.html

Quote:
"I've talked to Donnie (about a new contract)," said defenceman Derek Morris, Phoenix's most important unrestricted free agent-to-be this summer. "He obviously doesn't have leeway when it comes to signing guys. I understand the issues here."

Maloney could only wish he had the wherewithal to make it all happen.

"Quite frankly," he said over a plate of pasta at the team lunch, "I think it will be difficult to get something done with Derek before the deadline.

"We'll muscle through this year as best we can, then by June 31 - the end of the fiscal year - there will be a new operating group in place," he said hopefully. "Given our economic circumstances, and with the market for a player of Derek's calibre - four or five years at X amount per year - until we have our ownership situation straightened out, it's difficult."
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2009/...pector_morris/

If we could switch their contracts around, I'd make the deal in an instant. That's fantasy, though. In reality, this deal doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell. Hopefully, now that it's not burried in another thread, we can put this to rest. I've had to explain away this proposal a half dozen times now.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 08:33 AM
sgupca

IMO the Yotes are looking to cut salary, Gomez makes more than Jokinen...trade doesn't work...

now if their contracts were the same i'd do it if i were the Yotes or Rangers.

sgupca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 09:20 AM
nickschultzfan

Jokinen is definitely not going to the Rangers for Gomez. Nor Calgary, IMO. I wouldn't if I were Columbus. They just need to get Bassard back next year.

Sabres seems like a good location. Wild too. Maybe even Colorado.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote