HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Slipping in Dek/Ball/Whatever hockey

Old
02-27-2009, 08:31 AM
Eli Cash

vCash: 170
Slipping in Dek/Ball/Whatever hockey

So I play Dek Hockey (or ball hockey, I don't know what everyone else calls it, it's hockey on a rubber surface outdoors, on feet). Anyway, being in Pittsburgh, it's wet outside a good 60%-75% of the time. The slightest bit of wetness on that surface causes massive amounts of slipping. You basically have to shuffle your feet, and the game is slowed down dramatically.

Being a tall, extremely skinny human being with next to zero skill at hockey, and no flexibility whatsoever, the slippery surface makes me completely ineffective at everything. It's also very dangerous. The place I play at now sells shoes that are used for hockey and curling, which supposedly greatly reduce slipping. I'm not buying a 90 dollar pair of shoes, however.

My question to you guys is, what can I possibly do to modify a pair of existing shoes to reduce slipping? I've been wracking my brains. I have a few ideas but I'd like to know if anyone has any experience with this.

Eli Cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 08:38 AM
Hugh Madbrough

vCash: 500
No, you cant. Get a pair of Totes rain protector things. The rubber shoe like thing that fits over your shoes. When I lived in Pitt everyone swore by those. They are about 15$.

Hugh Madbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 12:03 PM
87vert

Is this at the Greater Pittsburgh Dekhockey center?

I played there for a few games last year and when it gets rain it gets pretty dangerous. You think they would fix the drainage or something.

When I played there a few of the guys on the other teams said to use hairspray to help a little bit. Dunno if they were serious or not

87vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 12:33 PM
Eli Cash

vCash: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87vert View Post
Is this at the Greater Pittsburgh Dekhockey center?

I played there for a few games last year and when it gets rain it gets pretty dangerous. You think they would fix the drainage or something.

When I played there a few of the guys on the other teams said to use hairspray to help a little bit. Dunno if they were serious or not
Nah I play at Murrysville. We tried the hairspray thing and it did absolutely nothing. I swear that's a rumor to make you look dumb spraying hairspray on your shoes. It's extremely dangerous, I don't know how they don't at least mandate helmets in those conditions.

Eli Cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 08:26 PM
9Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Life View Post
No, you cant. Get a pair of Totes rain protector things. The rubber shoe like thing that fits over your shoes. When I lived in Pitt everyone swore by those. They are about 15$.
Totes are the way to go. Here on Long Island The outdoor Dek can get very very slick. I once taped the bottom of my shoe like Football players but it didn't work.

9Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 05:31 PM
GuitarAwesome

It is extremely difficult to mod shoes you already have. Look into buying a specialty shoe, Sauconys(iron man marathon runners swear by these) have some amazing grip, they are what I use. They're pretty cheap as well, running 60 bucks.

GuitarAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 05:36 PM
JChace029*

Tell the dang Dek Hockey league to invest in the new rainproof dek matting. We use it in RI and play thru rain/snow, etc. I play goalie and I can stand up without slipping the whole game.

The flat dek is good for indoor. But outside there's a better one.

JChace029* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 06:07 PM
roast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChace029 View Post
Tell the dang Dek Hockey league to invest in the new rainproof dek matting. We use it in RI and play thru rain/snow, etc. I play goalie and I can stand up without slipping the whole game.

The flat dek is good for indoor. But outside there's a better one.
There is only one place in Pittsburgh that I know of that has a covered DEK...and they don't play foot solider there anymore - only roller (Neville for you locals) - and their court is terrible when it rains...on in-line skates good luck hitting the corners - you'll need it

roast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 07:55 PM
OprtnShtdwn

I also play in Pittsburgh and would agree with your assessment of the precipation amount. Anyways, i wear baseball turf shoes (not actual cleats) and i never slip at all.

Might be a possible idea.

OprtnShtdwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 09:41 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Felt bottomed shoes. You can buy them for fly fishing where you wade across submerged rocks with water flowing over them. Outdoor stores should have them, but unless you get a pair on sale you still have the $100 shoes problem.

So here's a trick. Buy a tube of barge cement and a cinderblock or two. Go to a carpet store and get scraps of carpet, they'll give them to you. Shorter, industrial stuff works best.

Now, get an old pair of shoes, preferably with worn flat bottoms- old sneakers, basketball shoes...

Cut the carpet to the shape of the shoe, use the barge cement to glue them on. It needs pressure to dry well, so use the cinderblock to apply pressure to the soles while they dry. Congrats- you basically simulted a felt bottomed shoe without investing more then $15.

Good luck!

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote