HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Post #234 -- Briere will not play March 7; day-to-day thereafter -- Nodl called up

Old
02-27-2009, 11:51 AM
BWAVgal
Hextall*Hakstol 2016

vCash: 50
And everyone else is saying Briere is a game time decision. Why do people still believe in Eklund?

BWAVgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 11:53 AM
ToTheNet

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ToTheNet
Briere can't play because they need to keep Kukks around. What this also means is that the flyers cannot carry any extra players and if injuries happen guys need to go right to IR.

ToTheNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 11:55 AM
Opus
Boondoggle

vCash: 875
I'm to the point where I can't help but to think that Briere isn't being 100% truthful with how he's truly feeling with the team doctors/Holmgren or the Flyers. There is no reason at this point, this long...that he should be a known starter.

He's either good to go, or he's not. Period. This is becoming a little bit of a circus with Briere...and the finger needs to be pointed at him directly.

Example: Brodeur was slated to start yesterday, several days in advance, no smoke and mirrors. He obviously practised at the level where both he and the team felt he could be thrown into an NHL game.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 11:58 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
I'm to the point where I can't help but to think that Briere isn't being 100% truthful with how he's truly feeling with the team doctors/Holmgren or the Flyers. There is no reason at this point, this long...that he should be a known starter.

He's either good to go, or he's not. Period. This is becoming a little bit of a circus with Briere...and the finger needs to be pointed at him directly.

Example: Brodeur was slated to start yesterday, several days in advance, no smoke and mirrors. He obviously practised at the level where both he and the team felt he could be thrown into an NHL game.
Groin injuries are rough and hard to determine how you are until you try using it again.

Cap issues are rougher.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 12:00 PM
Opus
Boondoggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Groin injuries are rough and hard to determine how you are until you try using it again.
Exactly, and I agree. It still doesn't all add up. This isn't the first time this has happened this season...it's getting old. Very old.

Quote:
Cap issues are rougher.

I'm aware of the cap hell were in, regardless of FlyHigh suggesting otherwise.

Old
02-27-2009, 12:03 PM
ToTheNet

Quote:
Exactly, and I agree. It still doesn't all add up. This isn't the first time this has happened this season...it's getting old. Very old.

I'm aware of the cap hell were in, regardless of FlyHigh suggesting otherwise.
we needed to clear $2.54 million. We lost Ossi to waivers ($2.54 - 1 = $1.54), Metro to waivers ($1.54 - 1 = $.54) and now Kukks cannot be waived because Kimmo cannot play. Which means we need to clear $.54 million still before Danny can play. Moving Powe to the phantoms doesn't do that.

The reason he is out is the cap, not the injury.

Old
02-27-2009, 12:07 PM
Opus
Boondoggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNet View Post
we needed to clear $2.54 million. We lost Ossi to waivers ($2.54 - 1 = $1.54), Metro to waivers ($1.54 - 1 = $.54) and now Kukks cannot be waived because Kimmo cannot play. Which means we need to clear $.54 million still before Danny can play. Moving Powe to the phantoms doesn't do that.

If THAT is indeed the ONLY reason, I stand corrected..thank you sir.

Old
02-27-2009, 12:08 PM
ToTheNet

Quote:
math is a cruel, cruel mistress haha

Old
02-27-2009, 12:09 PM
Terence Peterman

I thought Hovercraft repeatedly stated we only needed to clear 1.5 or so to get Briere back under, per IB?

I myself don't understand how we'd still need to clear 2-2.5 mill if he's missed even more games.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 12:11 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Quote:
That's in violation of the cap, though, isn't it? Isn't that what the NHL said - that the Flyers cannot hold Briere, uninjured, on IR just because he won't fit under the cap?

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 12:12 PM
ToTheNet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
I thought Hovercraft repeatedly stated we only needed to clear 1.5 or so to get Briere back under, per IB?

I myself don't understand how we'd still need to clear 2-2.5 mill if he's missed even more games.
we needed to clear kukks, ossi and metro for Briere to come back.

Old
02-27-2009, 12:12 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Isn't the NHL on our backs about this now?

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 12:13 PM
ToTheNet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
That's in violation of the cap, though, isn't it? Isn't that what the NHL said - that the Flyers cannot hold Briere, uninjured, on IR just because he won't fit under the cap?
they also would have to forfit tonight if he went off IR. So it is either 5 D or fake a limp for 24 hours.

Old
02-27-2009, 12:16 PM
tytech

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamski7 View Post
...thats a terrible idea
How so? Would you rather have Kuks and Ross/Kane or Briere?

In other words, a stud like Briere or a crappy D and a crappy forward? With Briere you have a tired group of guys but potentially an extra two goals. With a crap D and forward, they are all skating hard and well rested between shifts but have 2 or three more goals against.

tytech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 12:16 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
they also would have to forfit tonight if he went off IR. So it is either 5 D or fake a limp for 24 hours.
WACKY!

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 12:25 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

If Briere is a 'game-time decision' then he's not 100%. Shut him down until he's ready.

All of this cap crunch ******** will go to waste if he injures himself in his first game back. There's no reason to rush him back; the team has managed well enough without him up to this point.

He can be the deadline acquisition, but I'd much rather it be a healthy deadline acquisition.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 12:26 PM
tytech

We'd have to call in a forward too right? Can't go with 11. Nodl's back or would they do Kane or Ross?

What a mess.

Again, I say go with 5 D and bring in Briere.

Old
02-27-2009, 12:30 PM
tytech

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
If Briere is a 'game-time decision' then he's not 100%. Shut him down until he's ready.

All of this cap crunch ******** will go to waste if he injures himself in his first game back. There's no reason to rush him back; the team has managed well enough without him up to this point.

He can be the deadline acquisition, but I'd much rather it be a healthy deadline acquisition.

People, he is %100 healthy. It's all cap related. "Game decision" is based on the decision of going with Briere and five d, or leaving Briere off the roster and going with Kukonen and a Phantom call up. That's it. CAP RELATED.

The only reason I think we haven't heard anything yet is because the league is watching this closely. Clearly we'd want to go with 6 d but the league doesn't want us to leave a healthy Briere out.

Old
02-27-2009, 12:33 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytech View Post
We'd have to call in a forward too right? Can't go with 11. Nodl's back or would they do Kane or Ross?

What a mess.

Again, I say go with 5 D and bring in Briere.
I agree, but only cause we are at risk of more serious consequences as it is obvious Briere is good to go and only wont because of the cap. Cmon homer make a deal somewhere. .54 should be easily had...

TheKingPin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 12:34 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
People, he is %100 healthy. It's all cap related. "Game decision" is based on the decision of going with Briere and five d, or leaving Briere off the roster and going with Kukonen and a Phantom call up. That's it. CAP RELATED.

The only reason I think we haven't heard anything yet is because the league is watching this closely. Clearly we'd want to go with 6 d but the league doesn't want us to leave a healthy Briere out.
OR we can make a trade...

TheKingPin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 12:42 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:

Is this just your assumption based on recent transactions?

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 12:44 PM
bennysflyers16

What a ****ing **** show !!!

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 12:53 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
we needed to clear kukks, ossi and metro for Briere to come back.
That doesn't really answer my question...

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 12:57 PM
ToTheNet

I don't know what to tell you about missing more games and how the cap hits should go down. If the calculation is cap hit / games playesd then 2.5 will always be the number until he gets back in the line-up. I don't think it is just as easy as cap hit / 82 and then taking how many games are left because if you had a really expensive, good player who is always hurt (Gaborik) you could spend way up to the cap, put him on IR and bring him back the last game of the season and his cap hit would be nothing.

Old
02-27-2009, 12:59 PM
Jester

Quote:
I don't know what to tell you about missing more games and how the cap hits should go down. If the calculation is cap hit / games playesd then 2.5 will always be the number until he gets back in the line-up. I don't think it is just as easy as cap hit / 82 and then taking how many games are left because if you had a really expensive, good player who is always hurt (Gaborik) you could spend way up to the cap, put him on IR and bring him back the last game of the season and his cap hit would be nothing.
Briere's cap hit will count for ALL 82 games. Him being on IR allows you to replace up to his salary on the roster, it doesn't remove his salary for those games that he didn't play.

Thus our problems. While he was out we ADDED significant salary in Carle.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote