HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Andrew Cogliano

Old
02-24-2009, 01:09 AM
Seanzie888

vCash: 500
First I'll note that I believe that J-Bo is amazing and would be an excellent addition to almost any team. He is the total package. However, from an Oilers perspective, I have a few problems with acquiring J-Bo.

1)Oilers already have 2 high quality D-men who shouldn't have their icetime reduced
2)We still haven't addressed the primary problem of having a scoring center/Lw for Hemsky
3)The Oil are very near the cap, and next year, they have a Monumental problem... they have no #1 goaltender next year.
4)The Oil also have a large number of RFA's and a bunch of UFA's. They are: RFA's -> Grebs (1.5M) Smid (0.886M) Brodziak (0.5M) Brule (0.188M) Schremp (0.062M) Reddox (0.186M) Potulny (0.031M)
UFA's -> Roloson (3.667M) Cole (4M) Strudwick (0.65M)
Sabourin (0.525M) It would be a shame to lose some of these prospects for nothing.
5) Important to note that Grebs will expect a hefty raise, most likely close to Gilbert money. Can the Oil justify that?
6) Horcoff's new extension kicks in next year, upping his cap hit to 5.5M (Fantastic )
7) Apparently the NHL Salary Cap is dropping, some say as far down as 46M (unlikely) and others say 52M more likely.
8) J-Bo is a UFA this off-season, so overspending to bring him in now would be foolish
9) This may be most important on the whole... Florida is right in the middle of the playoff race. Somewhere like 6th or 7th. What GM trades their top defensive player (some might argue their best player, period) without bringing in another D-man of almost equal caliber? It would be a big mistake. I know they don't want to lose him for nothing, but unless they get a top 2 d-man back, he won't move.

What all this adds up to? In order to get their act together for next year, the Oilers need to deal one of their albatross' (Horc/Penner) or shy away from picking up someone like J-Bo (4.875M) especially before the season's out since, he is a UFA next year. The Oil are in a position where if the cap drops even 3M they can't afford to sign anyone outside of a goaltender. That's a problem because they badly need depth. Badly

Seanzie888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 03:18 AM
Pyke*

I like the Jokinen for Cogliano idea....

I don't know why you need to complicate it by adding DMorris, a player not really desired or needed by the Oilers?

Cogs is a great young player with wheels, Jokinen's in disfavour. The deal could definitely happen.

Pyke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 03:20 AM
PDO

Send a message via AIM to PDO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
I disagree, and I really like Cogliano. Ballard's a legit top pairing d-man, signed LT to a very reasonable deal.

It's tough to value EDM players in the middle of the team struggling like it is. Hard to fault his offensive production when he's playing in a 3rd line role for much of this year.
Keep in mind that Jokinen was signed for 2 years at the time of that deal, and had produced... and now is in the real conference, not producing, and only has a year and a bit left on his deal.

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 11:50 PM
Seanzie888

The other problem here is that the Yotes don't really need another young center. If they trade Jokinen, they still have Mueller and Turris. They can bring in 3rd or 4th line help in the off season, but it won't cost them the 5 mil Jokinen will.

Old
02-25-2009, 07:11 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanzie888 View Post
The other problem here is that the Yotes don't really need another young center. If they trade Jokinen, they still have Mueller and Turris. They can bring in 3rd or 4th line help in the off season, but it won't cost them the 5 mil Jokinen will.
Peter Mueller has probably played twenty, or so, games at center, in his entire NHL career. He's a winger, at this level.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 02:33 AM
Seanzie888

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Peter Mueller has probably played twenty, or so, games at center, in his entire NHL career. He's a winger, at this level.
Ok so they have Hanzel and Turris next year, plus Reinprecht to jump in when they falter. My bad though; I was under the impression that Doan and Mueller were converted to wingers and so they would have ample Center depth. I mean last year Mueller took 251 draws which is only 100 less than Brenden Morrison. Probably played 20 games at center... +/- 20

Old
02-27-2009, 02:41 AM
PDO

Send a message via AIM to PDO
Quote:
Originally Posted by grabo84 View Post
Robert Nilsson is a long, long, ways off from being as good as Fleischmann.
True.. I mean, he lives what... 3,000 KM from the South East?

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 07:20 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanzie888 View Post
Ok so they have Hanzel and Turris next year, plus Reinprecht to jump in when they falter. My bad though; I was under the impression that Doan and Mueller were converted to wingers and so they would have ample Center depth. I mean last year Mueller took 251 draws which is only 100 less than Brenden Morrison. Probably played 20 games at center... +/- 20
We can't give Rhino more than one year(or so it seems) because of our ownership issue(or so it seems), so he's likely gone at the deadline(or so it seems).

Also, taking draws doesn't mean that you are playing center, it just means that you are taking draws. Pete doesn't have the gumption it takes to be a pivot. He's not good defensively, is a poor skater, and doesn't create a ton of offense. He's got an amazing shot, and doesn't offer a whole lot more, at this point. We're hoping he improves.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 10:21 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO View Post
Keep in mind that Jokinen was signed for 2 years at the time of that deal, and had produced... and now is in the real conference, not producing, and only has a year and a bit left on his deal.

My original post was just stating that I thought that Ballard had more value than Cogliano - not necessarily that a Cogs/Jokinen deal was good or bad. I do think that OJ would be a good acquisition for the Oilers, if they've got got the cap room next year to not gut their team (great post by Seanzie888 at #51 detailing all the Oilers issues for next year).

I do agree that Jokinen's value is lower than where it was 8 months ago, but I'd still love to have him in CHI.

Jokinen for Byfuglien, 1st & Kontiala (playmaking center prospect who the organization doesn't seem to want to give a chance)

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 10:57 AM
OpethianSabre20

What kind of package would the Oilers want from Buffalo in exchange for Cogliano? The Sabres are pretty loaded at wing and defense.

OpethianSabre20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 11:02 AM
BattleGuy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpethianSabre20 View Post
What kind of package would the Oilers want from Buffalo in exchange for Cogliano? The Sabres are pretty loaded at wing and defense.
We need a top 6 LW. How about a blockbuster deal with Cogliano + + + for Vanek.

Edit

To Edm
Vanek

To Buf
Cogliano
Gilbert
Eberle
1st 2009
1st 2010

BattleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 11:02 AM
Agent Zero

Oilers searching for top-line winger
TheFourthPeriod.comAccording to the Edmonton Journal, the Oilers are hoping to acquire a top-six winger before next Wednesday's trade deadline.

The Journal claims the Oilers were interested in Anaheim Ducks forward Chris Kunitz, who was traded yesterday to the Pittsburgh Penguins.

"I've always liked Kunitz, he's a gritty guy," Oilers coach Craig MacTavish told the Journal.

It's believed the Oilers are willing to trade some of their young up-and-coming talent, such as Rob Schremp and Robert Nilsson, in exchange for a first-line winger to play alongside Ales Hemsky.

Edmonton has been linked to Los Angeles' Alexander Frolov and Atlanta's Ilya Kovalchuk, although Thrashers GM Don Waddell has stated he isn't planning on trading his captain this season.

Cogliano for Frolov = problem solved.

Agent Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 11:10 AM
OpethianSabre20

Quote:
Originally Posted by section8 View Post

Edit

To Edm
Vanek

To Buf
Cogliano
Gilbert
Eberle
1st 2009
1st 2010
As great as that deal sounds, I don't see that happening. , Vanek is the only Sabres player who knows how to put the puck in the net on a regular basis (good for 40+ a year IMO) and his two-way play is vastly improved and is only going to get better. I don't see anybody in that proposal that can fill the void that would be there if Vanek left. Got any other deals in mind that don't involve Vanek (or Roy for that matter)?

Old
02-27-2009, 11:18 AM
BattleGuy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
As great as that deal sounds, I don't see that happening. , Vanek is the only Sabres player who knows how to put the puck in the net on a regular basis (good for 40+ a year IMO) and his two-way play is vastly improved and is only going to get better. I don't see anybody in that proposal that can fill the void that would be there if Vanek left. Got any other deals in mind that don't involve Vanek (or Roy for that matter)?
It would be tough to come up with another deal that would temp the Oilers to move Cogs. The only forward position we need is a LW. Vanek is your only real legit top 6 LW. The only other thing I could think of is a bunch of rentals for a cup run. Maybe Spacek, Connelly +. But even still I don't think it would be a wise choice.

Old
02-27-2009, 11:34 AM
JoeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteDoherty View Post
Cogliano is having trouble adjusting to playing center. He's taken almost 500 draws and only won ~37%. The fact that he can only play LW successfully might hurt his value.
You have absolutly not even the slightest idea of what you are talking about, yet you post as if you are an expert on Cogliano. I love people like you.

JoeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 11:39 AM
OpethianSabre20

Quote:
It would be tough to come up with another deal that would temp the Oilers to move Cogs. The only forward position we need is a LW. Vanek is your only real legit top 6 LW. The only other thing I could think of is a bunch of rentals for a cup run. Maybe Spacek, Connelly +. But even still I don't think it would be a wise choice.
I would certainly be willing to part with Spacek, Connolly +, but like you said, it probably would not be too beneficial to Edmonton.

Would you be interested in MacArthur, Gogulla +? Clarke can play for your team right now and definitely has top 6 potential and Gogulla is a good two-way player with top 6 potential too who would have been playing with the Sabres already IMO if it weren't for the glut of wingers already under contract.

Old
02-27-2009, 11:46 AM
BattleGuy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I would certainly be willing to part with Spacek, Connolly +, but like you said, it probably would not be too beneficial to Edmonton.

Would you be interested in MacArthur, Gogulla +? Clarke can play for your team right now and definitely has top 6 potential and Gogulla is a good two-way player with top 6 potential too who would have been playing with the Sabres already IMO if it weren't for the glut of wingers already under contract.

I really like gogulla. But not at the expense of Cogliano. We've already got a MacArthur in Robert Nilsson. We'd be looking for players who can help us right away. The Oilers are planning on a playoff push so it wouldn't make sense. Is there any chance the Sabres would part with Miller for a package based around Cogs + Roloson. Rollie would be good enough for a playoff push but you'd be in the goalie market after July.

Old
02-27-2009, 12:00 PM
OpethianSabre20

Quote:
I really like gogulla. But not at the expense of Cogliano. We've already got a MacArthur in Robert Nilsson. We'd be looking for players who can help us right away. The Oilers are planning on a playoff push so it wouldn't make sense. Is there any chance the Sabres would part with Miller for a package based around Cogs + Roloson. Rollie would be good enough for a playoff push but you'd be in the goalie market after July.
Not a chance in hell that we part with Miller for a Cogs + Roloson package. This is basically a top 6 center and an average starting goaltender who is a UFA to be for Ryan Miller, a franchise goaltender. If Miller's being moved, I want a franchise center + the team's current starter. Oh well, it sounds like the two teams aren't that compatable with regard to dealing for Cogliano, which is too bad because I really like Cogs.

Old
02-27-2009, 12:03 PM
Techno Allah

Quote:
No, i don't think there is any way the Sabres part with their #1 goalie and face of the franchise for an over the hill backup and another undersized 20 goal scorer. We have plenty of those.

Techno Allah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 12:04 PM
BattleGuy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Not a chance in hell that we part with Miller for a Cogs + Roloson package. This is basically a top 6 center and an average starting goaltender who is a UFA to be for Ryan Miller, a franchise goaltender. If Miller's being moved, I want a franchise center + the team's current starter. Oh well, it sounds like the two teams aren't that compatable with regard to dealing for Cogliano, which is too bad because I really like Cogs.
Yeah your right. Probably arn't good trading partners. A 21 year old kid who can already put up 50 points, kill penalties, and skate faster then anyone else. all for 800K pricetag. They dont' come cheap.

Old
02-27-2009, 12:45 PM
Joey Moss
Proud to select...

vCash: 226
Quote:

Edit

To Edm
Vanek

To Buf
Cogliano
Gilbert
Eberle
1st 2009
1st 2010
take Eberle off and add Riley Nash,than id do it.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote