HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Getting into game shape in a short span of time

Old
02-27-2009, 09:46 AM
j12

vCash: 500
Getting into game shape in a short span of time

I was asked yesterday if I would be interested in playing in a men's tournament in 3 weeks. I haven't been on the ice this season and due to school and work I really haven't been as active as I should have been, so I'm definitely out of game shape.

I'm 24, about 6'1, 210/215 (not fat, I look like I'm 200lbs, but I have a lot of weight in my leg muscles). I grew up playing AAA and some jr so I'm used to training camps and whatnot, but I don't think I've ever gone from very little activity to a tournament in such a short time. So my question is, does anyone have any advice on getting back into shape in such a short time? I'll probably try a combination of cardio and HIIT, although I'm a bit concerned about rushing into the HIIT having not done it in a while.

Any ideas/routines would be appreciated. I've searched the forum and have found a few things, but nothing that provided methods for getting into shape in a quick time span or more specifically how realistic it is to get into shape in such little time. I understand it will be tough and maybe not possible, but I'd like to get in as good a shape as possible. I'm kinda seeing this as a catalyst for continuing a more active lifestyle into the summer as well (I play baseball and golf during the summer so that helps.) I should also say that by in shape, I don't mean strength wise, but just endurance, although strength training doesn't hurt either.

Thanks.

j12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 11:54 AM
tamtamg

I'd focus mainly on HIIT. That's what I did when I got back into hockey. I think it's more beneficial than normal cardio for hockey. If you think about how hockey is played (45 seconds, ok more like 2 min in most beer leagues, of all out sprinting on the ice then resting on the bench for a few), it is just like an HIIT work out. I didn't follow any specific timed regimen, but just sprinted till I couldn't do it anymore then walked till I was up for another sprint. Over time, my sprints got longer and my rest period got shorter. It really helped me be able to go fullspeed for an entire shift and recover in plenty of time before my next shift.

tamtamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 01:07 PM
SyracuseBulldogs*

It amazes me how often people will tell people to do HIIT without any sort of base. That is just asking for an injury. You must have a base before you do something like HIIT.

SyracuseBulldogs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 01:26 PM
j12

ya I just got back from doing my first session. I didn't go full tilt, but did some simple interval training on a treadmill. 5 minute warmup on the bike then ran @ 1minute at 3.7mph/1minute at 8mph for ten minutes then I started to feel it a bit so I went 1:15 at 3.5mph and then 45 seconds of 7.5mph for the last 10minutes. I did some visualization of a shift as I did the higher intensity and i found i got through it easier. I'm more concerned about this being a tournament so I want something in the tank for the second or third game in a day.

Then I did some light arm/shoulder stuff just to wake those muscles up a bit. I'll gradually work that, my legs and core throughout, just to at least get them used to some intensity

I'm going to at least run everyday and give a day off here and there.

I'm the type of player who knows my potential and I get very discouraged when my body doesn't let me keep up, so the better cardio I have, the better I'll play.

I should also say that although these are my first two posts on HFboards, I've read the site almost daily for a couple years now. Just knew that if I started posting I would never do any school work haha

j12 is offline   Reply With Quote