HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Ossi Vaananen claimed by Canucks

Old
02-27-2009, 01:08 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
That said, one of Nycholat and Davison will be sent down or traded in the next 48 hours or so I believe.
I can't imagine anyone would give us an asset in exchange for Nycholat or Davison.

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 01:09 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengay View Post
Nobody here has really addressed why Philly could not deal this suppossed outstanding defensive hard hitting d-man for at least a late round pick. Similarly, no one has addressed how it is that he ended up in the Canucks lap. Where are the Canucks in the waiver pecking order?

So far pictures and baby talk have not answered this.
It's been explained to you numerous times actually.

Briere was supposed to be activated tonight. Philly was maxed out as far as the cap was concerned, and every team in the NHL knew it, and thus were most likely unwilling to give up anything of value for players who would be on waivers in a couple of hours anyway. Somewhat ironically, Timonen now can't play tonight so the Flyers are forced to 'sit' Briere an extra night so they can dress Kukkonen, and have six defenseman. When Timonen is healthy Kukkonen will be sent down, and Briere will be dressed.

As far as Vaananen falling to us in the waiver wire - we're about halfway down the pecking order I would think. There are numerous reasons teams below us would pass on Vaananen (for example the Oilers have maxed out their pro-contract count and would have had to quickly ditch a contract to claim him). Additionally, many teams below us really aren't looking for playoff depth, and teams above us did not have the opportunity to claim him obviously. But there are a wide variety of reasons why a team wouldn't put in a claim for a physical bottom pairing defenseman.

You seem confused. Most of us are not claiming Vaananen is a great top-pairing guy like Mitchell. Instead he's an ideal 4-6 defenseman who can sub-in for the oft injured Sami Salo, and provide great depth on an already strong blueline where his deficiencies can be masked, and he can play to his strengths.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 01:11 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Good luck with him. Hopefully you'll treat him better than we did. I actually got to have a quick chat with him when we had meet the team night here in Philly and he seems like someone who would be really popular in the room. He played with Timonen most of the season and then when the Flyers recalled Parent, all of a sudden Stevens decided that he wasn't performing and didn't earn his place in the lineup.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 01:12 PM
NuxFan09

Quote:
Nobody here has really addressed why Philly could not deal this suppossed outstanding defensive hard hitting d-man for at least a late round pick. Similarly, no one has addressed how it is that he ended up in the Canucks lap. Where are the Canucks in the waiver pecking order?

So far pictures and baby talk have not answered this.
Shut up. Just shut up.

It was a solid pickup that adds even more depth to our blueline. Quit it with the pessimism already! Philly has cap problems. They probably liked Ossi a lot but it just wasn't feasible to keep him around. As for not getting a pick for him, Holmgren likely just doesn't have a lot of leverage given his cap situation. Seriously bud, just enjoy the pickup and stop whining over how much us fans are happy about it.

NuxFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 01:13 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post

Briere was supposed to be activated tonight. Philly was maxed out as far as the cap was concerned, and every team in the NHL knew it, and thus were most likely unwilling to give up anything of value for players who would be on waivers in a couple of hours anyway. Somewhat ironically, Timonen now can't play tonight so the Flyers are forced to 'sit' Briere an extra night so they can dress Kukkonen, and have six defenseman. When Timonen is healthy Kukkonen will be sent down, and Briere will be dressed.

As far as Vaananen falling to us in the waiver wire - we're about halfway down the pecking order I would think. There are numerous reasons teams below us would pass on Vaananen (for example the Oilers have maxed out their pro-contract count and would have had to quickly ditch a contract to claim him). Additionally, many teams below us really aren't looking for playoff depth, and teams above us did not have the opportunity to claim him obviously. But there are a wide variety of reasons why a team wouldn't put in a claim for a physical bottom pairing defenseman.

You seem confused. Most of us are not claiming Vaananen is a great top-pairing guy like Mitchell. Instead he's an ideal 4-6 defenseman who can sub-in for the oft injured Sami Salo, and provide great depth on an already strong blueline where his deficiencies can be masked, and he can play to his strengths.
We could have made it under if we had to. Briere is still a game-time decision for tonight. This didn't even need to be done yet. I think they're clearing out space because they feel they have a move to make, but not sure where they're going with it.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 01:14 PM
Jesus Quintana*

Quote:

So essentially then you are arguing that Vaananen was put on waivers because Paul Holmgren is a completely inept GM? Holmgren could not see the return of Briere coming? He could not maybe put this guy on the block a couple of weeks before Briere is set to come back and snag something for him?

All I am saying is that people here are talking about the guy like he is a total stud - a steal - a physical hard hitting solid big d-man that solidifies our back end.

If he is what everyone is saying, I doubt Philly would have picked him as the guy to dump and further, I doubt 1/2 the league would have passed on a chance to have him at a million per.

Jesus Quintana* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 01:15 PM
Shareefruck

Maybe I'm crazy but I haven't been THAT upset about Johnson's play. Yes, this isn't his best year, and he's struggled with injuries, but abysmal? He's been an anchor for our otherwise putrid 4th line all year (except now that Hansen's there). I want to see what he can do once/if Pyatt and Hansen/Raymond are both pushed down to the 4th and in the playoffs. The guy has a very nice set of tools for a fourth liner.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 01:19 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:
So essentially then you are arguing that Vaananen was put on waivers because Paul Holmgren is a completely inept GM? Holmgren could not see the return of Briere coming? He could not maybe put this guy on the block a couple of weeks before Briere is set to come back and snag something for him?

All I am saying is that people here are talking about the guy like he is a total stud - a steal - a physical hard hitting solid big d-man that solidifies our back end.

If he is what everyone is saying, I doubt Philly would have picked him as the guy to dump and further, I doubt 1/2 the league would have passed on a chance to have him at a million per.
No I'm arguing he was put on waivers because we play in a league with a hard cap. Sometimes moves like this are necessary even if you're a good GM.

He's a steal for us in our current situation. Is he a valuable asset to a rebuilding team or a seller? Not necessarily. And you're forgetting these teams account for most of the squads under us in the waiver order. Additionally, he isn't a need for every team. Vaananen is a specific player, with specific strengths who happens to fit into our line-up and give us greater depth. Not every team has the same needs, the same cap space, and the same room to add additional contracts. Like I said, I was surprised Vaananen fell to us in the waiver line, but considering the wide variety of situations that teams are dealing with under the cap it isn't totally insane to think a few teams would have liked to have him, but teir situation prevented it from happening.

Old
02-27-2009, 01:26 PM
Jesus Quintana*

Quote:
No I'm arguing he was put on waivers because we play in a league with a hard cap. Sometimes moves like this are necessary even if you're a good GM.

He's a steal for us in our current situation. Is he a valuable asset to a rebuilding team or a seller? Not necessarily. And you're forgetting these teams account for most of the squads under us in the waiver order. Additionally, he isn't a need for every team. Vaananen is a specific player, with specific strengths who happens to fit into our line-up and give us greater depth. Not every team has the same needs, the same cap space, and the same room to add additional contracts. Like I said, I was surprised Vaananen fell to us in the waiver line, but considering the wide variety of situations that teams are dealing with under the cap it isn't totally insane to think a few teams would have liked to have him, but teir situation prevented it from happening.
Valid points - all I am saying is that the enthusiasm here is a bit overkill. We still need to be cognizant of the fact that Philly could not even give him to 1/2 the league for free - and he was only being paid 1 million per. Low risk and still 1/2 the league passed on him.

Given this, you have to wonder if maybe there is a reason to curb our excitement just a tad.

Old
02-27-2009, 01:26 PM
finn

I like this depth p-up too. pro-rata this is an approx $200k price for depth. A no-brainer! kudos to Gillis.

As an aside, do we really have to dump on SOB? Sure he takes alot of minor penalties, but I would like to see how many gwg/gtgs were scored on O'Brain's pims. (I don't know) But I do appreciate that O'Brian makes other players look over their shoulder in scrums and along the boards alot more than say... Edler, Ohlund, Salo, Mitchell do. And imo, that's a very good thing. He's demonstrated that he's more than willing to stick up for teammates and I have absolutely no problem with him being pissed at sitting out a few games. Besides he's still so young and relatively cheap.

finn

finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 01:32 PM
Jesus Quintana*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuxFan09 View Post
Shut up. Just shut up.

It was a solid pickup that adds even more depth to our blueline. Quit it with the pessimism already! Philly has cap problems. They probably liked Ossi a lot but it just wasn't feasible to keep him around. As for not getting a pick for him, Holmgren likely just doesn't have a lot of leverage given his cap situation. Seriously bud, just enjoy the pickup and stop whining over how much us fans are happy about it.
Great post - read the one below and take note that Philly could have made it under the cap if they wanted to. Then shut up yourself.

Old
02-27-2009, 01:32 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:
Valid points - all I am saying is that the enthusiasm here is a bit overkill. We still need to be cognizant of the fact that Philly could not even give him to 1/2 the league for free - and he was only being paid 1 million per. Low risk and still 1/2 the league passed on him.

Given this, you have to wonder if maybe there is a reason to curb our excitement just a tad.
I think you can be excited as long as you know what you're getting.

The reason Vaananen was in the dog-house in Philly was that he was brought in to be a physically punishing, big defenseman, but hadn't lived up to the billing in recent games. As go kim johnsson mentioned in his post above, Vaananen spent a good deal of games playing on Philly's top-pairing with Timonen prior to Parent establishing himself as a comparable NHL defenseman. Then it just came down to dollars.

Vaananen isn't going to help our PP or the transition game all that much - though apparently he has a decent first pass. What he will give us is another huge blue-line presence to deal with the big forwards in our Conference like Thornton, Iginla, etc. Plus insurance in case of injury.

All I'm really saying is it's nice to pick a guy like this off waivers as opposed to moving a 2nd or 3rd for him like in years past.

Old
02-27-2009, 01:34 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Great depth pickup heading into the playoffs. With Salo's injury concerns it's necessary to have someone like Vaananen able to step into our top 6 if need be. And better yet we got him for free! Dave Nonis would have dealt a 2nd and 3rd rounder for this guy.

02-27-2009, 01:36 PM
Saren
Multi Pass!

Muahaha cue the Bouwmeester thread.

Saren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pauser View Post
Great depth pickup heading into the playoffs. With Salo's injury concerns it's necessary to have someone like Vaananen able to step into our top 6 if need be. And better yet we got him for free! Dave Nonis would have dealt a 2nd and 3rd rounder for this guy.
Yup. Very good pickup. Everyone knows you need 7 or 8 capable defensemen come playoff time. I think we have that now.

CCF23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ernie

Wow.

It's amazing that he not only went on waivers, but he fell this far.

Looks like my prediction a couple of days ago came true - the trade market at the deadline will be very very slow. Seems like GM's who have move-able assets are holding out for big returns, while the GM's with cap space aren't willing to spend it or don't really have that many needs.

I guess the question is: if you could have Bill Guerin for a 3rd round pick and Grabner, to you take him?

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 01:37 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

I'd be interested to see a Vaananen-Salo defensive pairing...would allow us to put Mitchell/Bieksa back together so Edler can play with Ohlund. Vaananen and Salo have played together on Team Finland at the international level before, and Vaananen's stay at home game could free up Salo's offensive game.

~Canucklehead~

Mr. Canucklehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 01:38 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeon View Post
Muahaha cue the Bouwmeester thread.
Didn't you hear?

We're going to trade Wellwood and Vaananen with a 5th round pick for JBo.

MAKE IT HAPPIN GILISS!

Old
NuxFan09

Quote:
Great post - read the one below and take note that Philly could have made it under the cap if they wanted to. Then shut up yourself.
You're the the only one with the sour puss attitude here; that should tell you something.

No, he isn't a stud. But you don't have to be a stud to be a solid player. Alex Burrows is by no means a "stud" but he brings lots to this team and I'm sure many other teams would want a guy like that. I don't give a crap if other teams passed him before he came to us, the fact is there's no denying he's a solid player that can help us. If you need any more help understanding this concept, please consult my 5 year old brother.

NuxFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Velociraptor
Nucks future 1C??

Vaananen is a sick defenseman, certainly does us some good.

Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 01:41 PM
alternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom Yorke View Post
Vaananen is a sick defenseman, certainly does us some good.
great, just what we need. another flu bug going through the dressing room.

alternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 01:42 PM
Jesus Quintana*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuxFan09 View Post
You're the the only one with the sour puss attitude here; that should tell you something.

No, he isn't a stud. But you don't have to be a stud to be a solid player. Alex Burrows is by no means a "stud" but he brings lots to this team and I'm sure many other teams would want a guy like that. I don't give a crap if other teams passed him before he came to us, the fact is there's no denying he's a solid player that can help us. If you need any more help understanding this concept, please consult my 5 year old brother.
If Gillis waived Alex Burrows there would be a revolt in Vancouver. Also - the first team that got a chance at him would take him.

Comparing Alex Burrows to Ossi Vaananen is terrible form.

Old
02-27-2009, 01:42 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
We could have made it under if we had to. Briere is still a game-time decision for tonight. This didn't even need to be done yet. I think they're clearing out space because they feel they have a move to make, but not sure where they're going with it.
Can't really see many holes on the team... if you're peeling off defensemen can't really see you bringing more in. You've already got two goalies, and I don't see anything on the market that would be an upgrade over them. You don't exactly need scoring help. Perhaps a defensive forward?

Old
02-27-2009, 01:43 PM
1025*

to all the haters

depth, is very important.

especially to our, somewhat, fragile blue line

1025* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 01:46 PM
Jesus Quintana*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1025 View Post
to all the haters

depth, is very important.

especially to our, somewhat, fragile blue line
I agree. I am not a hater.

My whole point is that Philly dropped this guy for nothing.....1/2 the league passed on a chance to get him for nothing. That alone is something that should be an indication that this player has some obvious major flaws. Given this, I was simply saying that maybe we should cease calling this a "steal" and referring to him as a "stud."