HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Brent Seabrook

Old
02-27-2009, 01:51 PM
Flapjack*

vCash: 500
Brent Seabrook

Let the Seabrook rumors begin

Rumor has it in Chicago the Whitney trade opens up the door for the much anticipated Staal for Seabs trade to actually look like more than a message board speculation, and more of a possibility.

Seabrook is out there, and has been reported on CTL on comcast for over a month by the beat writers that follow the Hawks.
The Hawks depth at centre makes this more and more a possibility.

These are two of the most over hyped trade chips in recent memory with fans from both sides beliving both to fetch more than they might possibly be worth, considering cap restrictions.

What this does for;

Hawks- Gives them balance down the middle, with a player who could possibly give the Hawks three of the best defensive centres in the league.Making three balanced scoring lines with defensive responsability good enough to cover up for the weak, weak defensive players the Hawks do have (Kane, Campbell)

Penguins- Gives them a tough defenseman who could move into the top pairing effortlessly, providing grit and a decent shot on the power play.Special teams suddenly upgrade with Seabs on the PK.And a respected leader in the dressing room.

Flapjack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 01:56 PM
99 steps
to the top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapjack View Post

Rumor has it in Chicago the Whitney trade opens up the door for the much anticipated Staal for Seabs trade to actually look like more than a message board speculation, and more of a possibility.

Seabrook is out there, and has been reported on CTL on comcast for over a month by the beat writers that follow the Hawks.

These are two of the most over hyped trade chips in recent memory with fans from both sides beliving both to fetch more than they might possibly be worth, considering cap restrictions.

What this does for;

Hawks- Gives them balance down the middle, with a player who could possibly give the Hawks three of the best defensive centres in the league.Making three balanced scoring lines with defensive responsability good enough to cover up for the weak, weak defensive players the Hawks do have (Kane, Campbell)

Penguins- Gives them a tough defenseman who could move into the top pairing effortlessly, providing grit and a decent shot on the power play.Special teams suddenly upgrade with Seabs on the PK.And a respected leader in the dressing room.
The Hawks need Seabrook more than you think. Staal is certainly a good return, but I'd like to see Seabrook in a Hawks uniform for many years to come.

99 steps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 01:59 PM
MrSerious

This rumour came up last year at the deadline and never happened and I doubt it happens this year. Without Seabrook, Chicago's defense becomes softer than a Swedish elite league teams defense.

MrSerious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 02:00 PM
Flapjack*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 steps View Post
The Hawks need Seabrook more than you think. Staal is certainly a good return, but I'd like to see Seabrook in a Hawks uniform for many years to come.

Considering the depth the Hawks do have on defense, and very little down the middle, the Hawks have no choice but to give up quality to get quality.

Staal makes the Hawks a better team.
Seabs makes Pitt better

Old
02-27-2009, 02:00 PM
massivegoonery

Quote:
[citation needed]

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 02:01 PM
Zim

I'd rather have Seabrook over Staal. Seabrook and Keith make for a very good 1st d-pairing. Seabrook is also Chicago's most physical defenceman and on a d-corps with two small not very physical guys like Keith and Campbell that physicality is important.

Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 02:01 PM
Flapjack*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSerious View Post
This rumour came up last year at the deadline and never happened and I doubt it happens this year. Without Seabrook, Chicago's defense becomes softer than a Swedish elite league teams defense.
Wiz, Walker and Barker wave from the penalty box.

Old
02-27-2009, 02:04 PM
Flapjack*

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivegoonery View Post
[citation needed]

Chicago Tribune Live on Comcast.

Its on daily, you should check it out, its one of the only shows that actually talk Hawk hockey on a frequent basis, you might like it....alot

Old
02-27-2009, 02:09 PM
Zim

Quote:
Wiz, Walker and Barker wave from the penalty box.
Seabrook has the most hits per game of any Hawks d-man by a fairly comfortable margin. Seabrook averages 2.44 hits per game, Wisniewski (the next closest) averages 1.64 hits per game. Barker averages 1.2 and Walker averages under a hit a game. Seabrook also leads the Hawks in blocked shots by 19 over Keith (who has played 5 less games).

Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 02:10 PM
99 steps
to the top

Quote:
Considering the depth the Hawks do have on defense, and very little down the middle, the Hawks have no choice but to give up quality to get quality.

Seabs makes Pitt better
Or, they could keep Seabrook, trade for a lesser center (i.e. Pahlsson, Laperierre, Cullen, Brind'amour), and sign a better one in the offseason with Khabi's contract off the books.

99 steps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 02:12 PM
plank

I don't know where you heard "Seabrook is out there". I haven't seen that on comcast or in the papers. As far as Staal for Seabrook, I think it's close to even on value.

plank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 02:14 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

It's fair. It's more of a secondary need for the Pens though.

#2 Need is probably another tough D-Man to go with Orpik. Brooks is all alone back there in that regard.

But the #1 Need is still a top line winger. Keeping and offering Staal + down the road is probably what it'll take to get 1 of those.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 02:26 PM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
Trading seabrook would be a step backwards for chicago

zetterberg40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 02:32 PM
warriorspikes51*

To CHI: Tim Connolly, Tim Kennedy or Tallinder, 1st round pick
To BUF: Seabrook , Prospect

warriorspikes51* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 02:40 PM
Teemu

The same fake rumor you were trying to convince us of a month or two ago, Flapjack?

Anyway, Seabrook's one of those players who has more value to us than he would fetch in a trade. While he may not be a bona fied #1 D-man on his own, he's the other half of one of the top 3 shutdown pairings in the NHL. He and Keith read each other perfectly on the ice.

Teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 02:49 PM
Piffle

Quote:

Seabs makes Pitt better
I have yet to see a post of yours on this board that I agree with, and this one is no different. Trading Seabrook for Staal would make the Hawks a worse team than they are today.

And of course the Hawks have a choice. They have tons of wing prospects that are NHL quality that could be traded for Staal (or someone that is more of a third line guy, which would probably be a better idea). We could package Versteeg and a 1st and get Staal I'm sure, which I would hate but I'd rather do that than trade Seabrook. Seabrook is a big part of the identity of this team.

Piffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 04:22 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:

What this does for;

Interesting!

I thought you said a few weeks ago that the Hawks weren't covered by the media? Wouldn't this be a contradiction?

I haven't heard a thing about Seabrook being moved and if he is then our GM is an idiot.

Campbell is not that bad defensively, his speed allows him to get back and Kane has improved his defense ever since coach Q took over. Kane really doesn't hurt us defensively.

Hey flapjack is it still against the law to wear Hawks colors in Chicago? Remember according to you because of the gang violence wearing Hawks jersey's is against the law

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 04:26 PM
ReLyT

Send a message via MSN to ReLyT
Seabrook is to valuable to the Hawks in my mind... id rather bargain hunt for a bandaid center until the offseason...

ReLyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 04:32 PM
AlMo

Quote:

What this does for;

So the Pens deal Whitney for Kunitz and Tangradi and then turn around and deal Staal for Seabrook? I like Seabrook alot better than Whitney but I don't see it happening. If Staal gets dealt, the Pens will acquire another top 6 winger imo.

AlMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 04:35 PM
AK

Versteeg comes back if Staal goes to Chicago.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 04:40 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40 View Post
Trading seabrook would be a step backwards for chicago
I agree, I wouldn't be in any rush to move this guy if I were Chicago.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 05:19 PM
Darkstar

The Hawks need Seabrook more than they need a player like Staal. Seabrook is solid defensively and has a very good contract. The Hawks just need a stopgap at center until Bolland is fully developed.

Darkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 05:42 PM
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.

I find trade proposals from someone who hates one of the teams involved rather interesting.

That said, I have no interest in moving Seabrook. The need for Staal is not THAT important.

Crazy_Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 06:44 PM
salty justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letang58 View Post
Versteeg comes back if Staal goes to Chicago.
Seabrook has more value than Staal. Versteeg might right now too.

It makes no sense to trade the 3+ year D partner of our best dman on our top pairing for a #3C. There are plenty of good 3rd line centers available that could be had for picks, prospects, or money this summer.

I haven't seen Seabrook rumors anywhere.

salty justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 06:54 PM
wej20

why do you guys need Staal?,I thought Bolland was looking pretty good,Can't he be number 2 and then sign a veteran third liner maybe in the offseason?

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote