HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game #63 - 02.26.09 | Florida Panthers @ NY Rangers | 7:00 PM - MSG (HD)

Old
02-27-2009, 10:07 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
That was embarrassing as hell. Someone has to score. Gomez at least played better, but jesus christ Drury DO SOMETHING. You're not being paid to take ****** wrist shots and slapshots from above the circles on the rush.

I like the guy but he looks absolutely lost out there right now

Zherdev also just isn't making things happen right now. Lots of other players have picked up their games, but no the ones who have the most goal scoring talent, which is unfortunate.

I'm glad they've played better these past two games, but you just can't dominate teams for most of the game like that and then lose because you can't score any goals.

Also, Lundqvist, soft goal, wtf.
Yeah he did something, he softly dumped the puck into the corner on a 5 on 3 when all of his teammates where supporting him nearby. WHY DID HE DO THAT?

Jesus he has absolutely no confidence.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 10:12 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Yeah he did something, he softly dumped the puck into the corner on a 5 on 3 when all of his teammates where supporting him nearby. WHY DID HE DO THAT?

Jesus he has absolutely no confidence.
Hahaha, oh man I remember that, I was livid. That was the dumbest possible thing he could have done other than giving it to a Panthers player for a breakaway. Wasted like 20 seconds when he could have just passed it to a teammate

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 10:12 AM
Fletch

we'll see what this team looks like on Wednesday. To be honest, if all they do is add Avery, and it's the good Avery, then that's a good enough catalyst to get this team going, assuming, of course, there isn't a mutiny from the Captain and Tennille. It doesn't make them a Stanley Cup contender, but it seems as though that (among other things) is what's missing. And maybe that's something which puts Dubi back at center, centering Korps and Prucha, and finally puts Zherdev with Gomez. I'm not a huge Avery fan because too often he's a bonehead, but it seems as though he is somewhat missed, and more affordable than many other options (like Jagr, etc.).

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 10:16 AM
Levitate

Except it's no sure thing that the Rangers can pick him up off waivers, and he's not worth trading for (not only because he'd still have to go through waivers to help them this year, but his $4 mill salary is ridiculous)

Part of me wonders if Sather waits to see what happens this Saturday, and then decides whether to sell or not.

Old
02-27-2009, 10:17 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
We lack an offensive leader. A Shanny, a Jagr, hell, I'd settle for the 1990 Bernie Nicholls at this point. Even the 86 team had Larouche
We could have had Nedved for very little.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 10:19 AM
Levitate

I have my doubts about Nedved being an offensive leader. He hasn't been one in recent years at all

Old
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
we'll see what this team looks like on Wednesday. To be honest, if all they do is add Avery, and it's the good Avery, then that's a good enough catalyst to get this team going, assuming, of course, there isn't a mutiny from the Captain and Tennille. It doesn't make them a Stanley Cup contender, but it seems as though that (among other things) is what's missing. And maybe that's something which puts Dubi back at center, centering Korps and Prucha, and finally puts Zherdev with Gomez. I'm not a huge Avery fan because too often he's a bonehead, but it seems as though he is somewhat missed, and more affordable than many other options (like Jagr, etc.).
If Avery ain't Ranger this afternoon, I don't know if he will ever.

Old
Fletch

I understand that, Levitate...trust me, I'm also a bit hesitant and don't think it's not guaranteed that someone else doesn't take a flyer on him if indeed he comes at a cost of only $2MM per. While he's had issues, it's a pretty tempting price.

Old
02-27-2009, 10:20 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Very little production as well, come on, he's seen his better days and if i hear Sam say "Nedved stick handles, offsides..." one more time in my life......

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 10:22 AM
94now

Quote:
I have my doubts about Nedved being an offensive leader. He hasn't been one in recent years at all
No, he is no leader, just an offensive talent. Always was to be correct.
Still would be something we miss badly. I think Slats was sure he will sign Shanny at the time.

Old
02-27-2009, 10:30 AM
Levitate

He's not more of a talent than several guys the Rangers already have (Naslund, Gomez, Zherdev, Drury...you know, the guys not getting it done)

Adding one more mediocre offensive player that hasn't produced in recent years doesn't sound like much of a solution

Old
02-27-2009, 10:37 AM
94now

Quote:
He's not more of a talent than several guys the Rangers already have (Naslund, Gomez, Zherdev, Drury...you know, the guys not getting it done)

Adding one more mediocre offensive player that hasn't produced in recent years doesn't sound like much of a solution
I wouldn't fight this. Didn't I say before that Jagr is irreplaceable? Now we feel it.

Old
02-27-2009, 10:48 AM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Games like this will drive you to drink

Glen Teflon Sather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 11:13 AM
ret513

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
Captain & Tennille.. too funny! Thats the first time I heard this. didnt they sing "Love Will Keep Us Together"?

Now I cant get that song out of my head!

ret513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 11:19 AM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by ret513 View Post
Captain & Tennille.. too funny! Thats the first time I heard this. didnt they sing "Love Will Keep Us Together"?

Now I cant get that song out of my head!
It was great when South Park made fun of Family Guy with Captain and Tennille, I hate Family Guy

Glen Teflon Sather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 11:29 AM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Cool. I agree the quality of the entertainment hasn't been the greatest this year, but compared to 98-04 I don't mind it, having a winning record no matter how those wins come are enjoyable to me. I'm never bored though so I can't relate to most peoples lack of excitement in their lives.
I have enough excitement in real life. It's the hockey that concerns me. I watch it for excitement. And they weren't winning this season. They had one good month (during which I wasn't complaining). The rest of the time they played poorly, got outplayed 65-75% of the time, and had mediocre results. What's worse is it kept getting worse and worse with each month. More and more boring. Worse and worse play. Less and less confidence.

It's no wonder they're at the point were they can have 5-6 open nets and not finish. They know they won't score before they even take the shot. It's a game of inches and seconds. And nothing effects those inches and seconds across an entire team like confidence. That's why they aren't scoring. Their lack of talent is what will keep them from being an elite team. They don't have any decent finishers. But they have plenty of guys that can finish those types of scoring chances.

I mean come on. People just go completely overboard on here. No they aren't very talented. No they don't have any good finishers. But YES they have guys on here that can finish at least 1 or 2 or 3 of those chances that they completely screwed up on yesterday. And I mean consistently.

Whoever said it earlier is dead on. If this team had the one guy who can score in spite of anything... the one guy who'll pop in the 30 goals and shift down the scoring burden... the depth will suddenly look much different. And you'll have guys suddenly and miraculously finishing those exact same plays that they screwed up yesterday. Suddenly they'll go from looking like guys who have no confidence to guys that are beaming with confidence. Same goes for the goalie.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 11:40 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
I have enough excitement in real life. It's the hockey that concerns me. I watch it for excitement. And they weren't winning this season. They had one good month (during which I wasn't complaining). The rest of the time they played poorly, got outplayed 65-75% of the time, and had mediocre results. What's worse is it kept getting worse and worse with each month. More and more boring. Worse and worse play. Less and less confidence.

It's no wonder they're at the point were they can have 5-6 open nets and not finish. They know they won't score before they even take the shot. It's a game of inches and seconds. And nothing effects those inches and seconds across an entire team like confidence. That's why they aren't scoring. Their lack of talent is what will keep them from being an elite team. They don't have any decent finishers. But they have plenty of guys that can finish those types of scoring chances.

I mean come on. People just go completely overboard on here. No they aren't very talented. No they don't have any good finishers. But YES they have guys on here that can finish at least 1 or 2 or 3 of those chances that they completely screwed up on yesterday. And I mean consistently.

Whoever said it earlier is dead on. If this team had the one guy who can score in spite of anything... the one guy who'll pop in the 30 goals and shift down the scoring burden... the depth will suddenly look much different. And you'll have guys suddenly and miraculously finishing those exact same plays that they screwed up yesterday. Suddenly they'll go from looking like guys who have no confidence to guys that are beaming with confidence. Same goes for the goalie.
I hear what ya saying Burd, its all good.

This team in Torts system needs a scorer, a consistent one whether thats someone on the roster or whoever Slats gets at the deadline. Just like all Renney's system needed was a capable power play. Our PP under Renney is top half of the league he wouldve never been fired cause the players wouldve never given up cause confidence wouldve been there.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 11:49 AM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
I hear what ya saying Burd, its all good.

This team in Torts system needs a scorer, a consistent one whether thats someone on the roster or whoever Slats gets at the deadline. Just like all Renney's system needed was a capable power play. Our PP under Renney is top half of the league he wouldve never been fired cause the players wouldve never given up cause confidence wouldve been there.
That's absolutely true. If Renney had a Jagr, things would have been very different. Same as now. But that's been pointed out ad nauseum. Hopefully they can make something happen at the deadline. I don't see how that's possible. But whatever. Maybe in the offseason. Maybe Torts somehow figures how to get these guys to just play with confidence. Who knows? At least there's been effort these last two games. If they don't get demoralized by inability to finish, it's still something for a coach to work with.

Old
02-27-2009, 12:58 PM
Fletch

Nedved would've been another 10-15 goal scorer, maybe, and 30-40 points as a centerman. And to do that he would need ice time and help on the wings. He and Prucha actually looked very well together in preseason, but there really was no place for him, especially considering that it's my opinion that Dubi belongs at center. If Drury was moved to wing, then maybe it would've made sense, but at the same time I think Nedved would've been waived by now.

Old
02-27-2009, 02:33 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
Oh God. Are you saying a first-round sweep and two second round exits were the "winner" he built? I gotta say, if that's the best he can do before destroying the team then rebuilding it, it ain't saying much at all.

I was talking about Edmonton being the winner he built, then destroyed, then built back up again. .

But, you have to give the guy credit. They improved 31 points in one season.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 02:38 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio Africanus View Post
I was talking about Edmonton being the winner he built, then destroyed, then built back up again. .

Check Sather's drafting record from 1982-2000. That's nearly twenty drafts. It is absolutely pathetic.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 03:19 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Check Sather's drafting record from 1982-2000. That's nearly twenty drafts. It is absolutely pathetic.
Should be well over 100 unless you meant 1st round only.
Well, Mike Millbury has a great draft record. is he better than Sather?

Old
02-27-2009, 04:05 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Should be well over 100 unless you meant 1st round only.
Well, Mike Millbury has a great draft record. is he better than Sather?
They're both terrible. What's your point?

Old
02-28-2009, 12:43 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio Africanus View Post

Sather didn't build Edmonton no matter how often people like to repeat the fairy tale. Any GM can look good after he is handed the greatest pair of forwards ever, in their youth, to boot.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 12:46 AM
chosen

Quote:
In your world, Lundqvist is the problem and Nedved is the answer. Wow.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote