HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canadiens trade Steve Begin to Stars for Doug Janik

Old
02-26-2009, 07:45 PM
zx81

vCash: 500
What a surprise we acquired another American.

zx81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 07:55 PM
Talent Analyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx81 View Post
What a surprise we acquired another American.
Our American have caracter, I like it.

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 08:05 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

I've always liked Steve Begin and I'm very sorry to see him gone. I wish we could plant his heart in some other players with much more skills (I won't name them).

Good luck Steve!

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 10:04 PM
DaHabMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
He's not an asset. It's so funny how fans overrate their players. Begin is a fringe NHL player that couldn't even get into the lineup. I admire Begin's heart but his skills have gone down hill from age and injury. This move was nothing more than a cap space move and Janik means nothing.
thanks for reading my mind....i was sure we couldve of gotten a 1st rounder

no but we seriously, im sure a 5th rounder or lower might of been fair. Hes an nhl player and was traded for a ahl player. Id much rather have had a 5th, 6th or a 7th instead of doug janik.

DaHabMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 10:20 PM
keepcalmandbeninja

Quote:
Our American have caracter, I like it.
Nice Post TA, I laughed when I read that...I ran and told my brother because in EHM, he sometimes will not trade or draft Americans lol.

On a serious level I must admit I agree with you. I am quite impressed with the character exuded and personified by Komisarek AND Higgins in particular, now I would like to see how loyal they are to the CH.

keepcalmandbeninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 10:43 PM

No more season ending penalties.

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 10:46 PM
3TB3*

was listening to dallas broadcast of game and late in 3rd period they said begin walked into rink. they said they hoped it would turn out like their last trade with habs when they got ribeiro in another of gainey's bad moves here.

3TB3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 10:56 PM
AT27

I think it had to happen, It's sad though because Begin was one of our little french Quebecers who took the teams winnings and losings at heart.... Oh well, I hope he does well for himself in Dallas he deserves it.
I wonder what's going to happen to his Super Energie Cardio commercials lool

AT27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 10:57 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3TB3 View Post
was listening to dallas broadcast of game and late in 3rd period they said begin walked into rink. they said they hoped it would turn out like their last trade with habs when they got ribeiro in another of gainey's bad moves here.

So there's no benefit to the Habs in unloading Bégin? How about the added cap room? Or getting rid of a frequently injured player who was unhappy with the amount of ice time he was getting? And just how will Bégin make the Stars into contenders? Even with Ribeiro, they aren't one of the top teams in the West.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 11:19 PM
Erika

Good riddance...

I always hated that guy... what a cheap, dirty and useless player...

He is more useful than Kyle Chipchura though...

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 11:45 PM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Even when you were scratched
Oh, the press still hounded you
All the papers had to say
Was that Begin was found in the nude
Well, my nightmares are all taken care of for the weekend.

Guy Caballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 11:52 PM
keepcalmandbeninja

Season Ending Debacles...

Quote:
No more season ending penalties.
I vividly remember...06/07, and 07/08 Begin Penalties that still haunt me today...

keepcalmandbeninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 08:09 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Bye, Steve Begin. I'm happy you're gone.

Stupid penalty ended our play-off hopes one season.. Stupid penalty ended our play-offs another one.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 09:15 AM
Markovskaya

WoW people posting on RDS talkback about this are so freaking dumb it's unbelievable!

Markovskaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 10:37 AM
Newhabfan

I think most people do not realise the real beauty and value of this move. It has little to do with Begin or Janik. It's a message.

I listened to Gainey's conference call yesterday on T990. He insisted during his first two interventions that this was a move done for Begin's good. They knew he was not on their signing plans and that staying here would hurt any chance to sign a new contract. They could of course keep him as backup but this would have been really unfair for him.

So, as Gainey said, since Steve asked (very politefully and respectfully, said Bob) for a trade, they looked for a place "whee he could get a better chance of playing". It was not done to unload money or to get anything in return.

Does this remember anything? BG looks for a place to trade a player in the advantage of the player ? Does the name Huet ring a bell ? What were the chances for Huet to get a fat contract had he stayed with us ? Then Grabovski - as trouble maker as he was, we traded him (Gainey specifically insisted that it was Grabovski who asked for a tradde) to one of the few teams where he had a chance of breaking through.

The Begin trade is a message to all the current and future Habs players. If you play for us we will take care of you till the end - we will not dump you or anything. We will treat you with fairness and respect.

And this is priceless.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 11:07 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
I think most people do not realise the real beauty and value of this move. It has little to do with Begin or Janik. It's a message.

I listened to Gainey's conference call yesterday on T990. He insisted during his first two interventions that this was a move done for Begin's good. They knew he was not on their signing plans and that staying here would hurt any chance to sign a new contract. They could of course keep him as backup but this would have been really unfair for him.

So, as Gainey said, since Steve asked (very politefully and respectfully, said Bob) for a trade, they looked for a place "whee he could get a better chance of playing". It was not done to unload money or to get anything in return.

Does this remember anything? BG looks for a place to trade a player in the advantage of the player ? Does the name Huet ring a bell ? What were the chances for Huet to get a fat contract had he stayed with us ? Then Grabovski - as trouble maker as he was, we traded him (Gainey specifically insisted that it was Grabovski who asked for a tradde) to one of the few teams where he had a chance of breaking through.

The Begin trade is a message to all the current and future Habs players. If you play for us we will take care of you till the end - we will not dump you or anything. We will treat you with fairness and respect.

And this is priceless.
Agreed. Just look across the rink at the Flyers and what they're trying to do to Brière. Imagine if they put him on waivers and send him to the AHL as it's rumoured... who will sign there without a NMC if they act that way?

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 11:13 AM
Markovskaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post

And this is priceless.

This is so true. Now copy-paste that on the RDS board for chirst sake these people are so dumb!!!

Markovskaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 11:16 AM
redmachine54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Agreed. Just look across the rink at the Flyers and what they're trying to do to Brière. Imagine if they put him on waivers and send him to the AHL as it's rumoured... who will sign there without a NMC if they act that way?
http://www.nhlscap.com/no_trade.htm#list

Brière has a NMC, so they can't waive him anyway, but it's become quite clear with the long, ridiculous contracts being handed out that they're handcuffing teams. These weren't unforseeable situations, but the contracts were still handed out anyway.

I find it nice to see GMs struggle over their own stupidity, to be honest.

redmachine54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 11:22 AM
Capitano

Quote:
Money talks, and people have short memories.

I do agree with you in principle though.

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 11:33 AM
Newhabfan

Quote:

It's not just the Flyers but a lot of other teams - see Tampa, Leafs, Sens and others. The teams that treat their player with this kind of consideration are few (and good) - the Red Wings and the Devils come to mind.

Players are not stupid - they know which organisations treat them well and which ones treat them as NHL09 characthers.

We will get the benefits of this trade (and Huet's and Grabovski's) at UFA signing time. Just like with Markov and A Kostitsyn. You will be surprised to see our players being signed for reasonable contract, probably under the free market value.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 03:30 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 709
Bégin on CKAC saying that at the beginning of the season he asked Carbo that if he was unhappy about his play, if Carbo thought there were things he didn't like about him or when/if he would sit for a couple of games, he would appreciate if Carbo could come and talk to him just to tell him what's wrong with his game instead of learning it through the medias or through other players....

Carbo never spoke to him....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 03:35 PM
Ron Fournier

I deeply hope he won't get booed if he's ever playing again against montreal.

Ron Fournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 03:39 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Bégin on CKAC saying that at the beginning of the season he asked Carbo that if he was unhappy about his play, if Carbo thought there were things he didn't like about him or when/if he would sit for a couple of games, he would appreciate if Carbo could come and talk to him just to tell him what's wrong with his game instead of learning it through the medias or through other players....

Carbo is a fantastic coach.

Fantastic at being a ******.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post

I don't know...maybe there was nothing wrong per se with Steve's game, maybe Carbo just didn't want to play him

He's the coach, it's his choice and he doesn't have to justify it.

Montreal might be the only city in the NHL where fringe players (with all due respect, don't mean to diminish Bégin but he is what he is) need to be told why they're sitting out games.

I'm sorry...I just can't subscribe to this 'theory' that Bégin was somehow mistreated, the Habs organization treated him with class throughout his tenure. So what he got benched a few times, big freakin' deal, happen to alot of players, what makes him exempt?

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 03:44 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post
Good riddance...

I always hated that guy... what a cheap, dirty and useless player...

He is more useful than Kyle Chipchura though...

and S.Kost.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote