HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jesse Winchester

Old
02-27-2009, 03:37 PM
Sens Mile

vCash: 500
Jesse Winchester

I think its fair to say in Winchester's first year he can be considered a major disappointment. If Ottawa tried to move him would they be able to get any decent roster player in return for him?

Sens Mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 03:39 PM
nickschultzfan

Why yes. Disappointing prospects are often traded for legitmate roster players.

Oh wait....

nickschultzfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 03:40 PM
Pyke*

Sigh. He's been there for 1 season, a bad season at that. Why not wait a couple years before throwing in the towel.

Pyke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 03:40 PM
FlapJackKing
Ottawa Senators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens mile View Post
I think its fair to say in Winchester's first year he can be considered a major disappointment. If Ottawa tried to move him would they be able to get any decent roster player in return for him?
I could see maybe a 3rd round pick at best, and I REALLY doubt that... Probably more like a 4th or 5th rounder. Not much I would expect. I would wait!

FlapJackKing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 03:51 PM
Sens Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by KwikWit View Post
I could see maybe a 3rd round pick at best, and I REALLY doubt that... Probably more like a 4th or 5th rounder. Not much I would expect. I would wait!
Ughh makes me mad with all the excitment that came with this guy. I would love to get rid of this guy and aquire a defenceman that can serve as Ottawa's tough guy doing all the rough work. A guy like Boris Valabik from the Thrashers.

ATL: Winchester, Bell, 4th
OTT:Valabik

Sens Mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 03:52 PM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Why yes. Disappointing prospects are often traded for legitmate roster players.

Oh wait....
He's only disappointing if you don't know anything about him.

He's a 3rd line checker - and damn good at it.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 03:54 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
winchester's not going anywhere. He's played one bad season on a team that underachieved as a whole. He might move at the draft if we have a coach by then (hopefully clouston) and the coach doesnt think he fits in, but until then, i think he's a senator.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 03:54 PM
KingKarlsson

What expectations have you had for the guy to make him a major dissapointment? He's been great as a bottom-6 player, but can't be honestly expected to do much playing with Donovan, McAmmond and Ruutu under 10 minutes a game. He makes less than Shean Donovan, and was outstanding forming a 3rd line with Vermette and Kelly.

There's absolutely no reason to trade him, especially when the return wouldn't be as useful as he is.

KingKarlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 03:57 PM
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKarlsson View Post
What expectations have you had for the guy to make him a major dissapointment? He's been great as a bottom-6 player, but can't be honestly expected to do much playing with Donovan, McAmmond and Ruutu under 10 minutes a game. He makes less than Shean Donovan, and was outstanding forming a 3rd line with Vermette and Kelly.

There's absolutely no reason to trade him, especially when the return wouldn't be as useful as he is.
What were everyones expectations exactly? He only had 8 goals in his senior year.

Is anyone sure if he is restricted or unrestricted after this season? He has not been nearly as effective a player as Donovan. He is the biggest perimeter player I have ever witnessed on this team. Granted he is fantastic on the boards but when he beats a player he never ever does anything with the puck. It looks like he is stuck in cement waiting for someone else to do something. Please just take the puck to the net crash in there something will happen you cant score from the corner or the boards.

It just seems like he is another bottom six forward with not very much speed. He is responsible defensively he can play right wing and center but he is 25 years old, I dont see any upside. Id much rather see Regin, Bass or Zubov in the lineup. If Winchester can garner any kindof return Ottawa takes it thats good asset management.

Last edited by bert: 02-27-2009 at 04:04 PM.
bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 04:02 PM
KingKarlsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert View Post
He doesnt look like an nhl player to me. Strait up he is wasting a roster spot Ottawa has a ton of bottom six forwards. If Winchester can garner any kindof return Ottawa takes it thats good asset management.
How's that? He's not particularly good at anything, but even as a 4th liner, he's paid appropriately, good defensively, battles hard and can chip in 15-20 points (and more playing with better linemates and getting more icetime).

Old
02-27-2009, 04:04 PM
FlapJackKing
Ottawa Senators

Quote:
Is anyone sure if he is restricted or unrestricted after this season? He has not been nearly as effective a player as Donovan. He is the biggest perimeter player I have ever witnessed on this team. Granted he is fantastic on the boards but when he beats a player he never ever does anything with the puck. It looks like he is stuck in cement waiting for someone else to do something.

It just seems like he is another bottom six forward with not very much speed. He is 25 years old too I dont see any upside. Id much rather see Regin, Bass or Zubov in the lineup. If Winchester can garner any kindof return Ottawa takes it thats good asset management.
Let's give him some time to develop an offensive instinct before we give up on him. This is the NHL and not college hockey so it may take him a season or two to become a little more confident with the puck. Again, I would wait.

FlapJackKing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 04:05 PM
H2O

Winchester is an excellent 4th liner. He's not a liability at all and is so good at protecting the puck along the board. I also think he's got a great hockey sense which allowed him to produce at the college level. I don't think he's wasting a roster spot, I'd keep him at under $1 mil.

H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 04:08 PM
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
Winchester is an excellent 4th liner. He's not a liability at all and is so good at protecting the puck along the board. I also think he's got a great hockey sense which allowed him to produce at the college level. I don't think he's wasting a roster spot, I'd keep him at under $1 mil.
If he isnt going to score id rather my 4th liners have some serious speed or have a physical edge he has neither. Everyone in the nhl should be responsible defensively especially 4th liners the only players that get some lee way is the odd star player who needs to take chances to be effective.

bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 04:27 PM
WreckItRask

Wow...talk about turning on a guy in a hurry. He's yet to finish his rookie season yet, he gets paid peanuts, and he's still a kid. If he played for the Leafs they'd be telling us he's worth a 2nd and a prospect.

(settle down Leaf fans...it's only a joke)

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 04:29 PM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely06 View Post
Wow...talk about turning on a guy in a hurry. He's yet to finish his rookie season yet, he gets paid peanuts, and he's still a kid. If he played for the Leafs they'd be telling us he's worth a 2nd and a prospect.

(settle down Leaf fans...it's only a joke)
I thought jokes were funny?

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 04:34 PM
KingKarlsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan311 View Post
I thought jokes were funny?
I laughed.

Old
02-27-2009, 04:42 PM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
What were everyones expectations exactly? He only had 8 goals in his senior year.

Is anyone sure if he is restricted or unrestricted after this season? He has not been nearly as effective a player as Donovan. He is the biggest perimeter player I have ever witnessed on this team. Granted he is fantastic on the boards but when he beats a player he never ever does anything with the puck. It looks like he is stuck in cement waiting for someone else to do something. Please just take the puck to the net crash in there something will happen you cant score from the corner or the boards.

It just seems like he is another bottom six forward with not very much speed. He is responsible defensively he can play right wing and center but he is 25 years old, I dont see any upside. Id much rather see Regin, Bass or Zubov in the lineup. If Winchester can garner any kindof return Ottawa takes it thats good asset management.
I disagree. He's the best board player we've had in a long, long time. His 'perimeter' are the war zones in the corner fighting for pucks.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 05:02 PM
Ouroboros

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely06 View Post
He's hardly a kid - he'll be 26 at the start of next season.

I'm sure the Senators expected more out of him than they've gotten thus far. He appears to be a grinder with little potential to be much more than that on a team already stacked with useless grinders.

Winchester wins board battles but that's about all he does. He doesn't have the skills or the vision to create a play after that point.

Ouroboros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 05:13 PM
dand

Marc Pouliot?

dand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 05:34 PM
Karlssonlee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dand View Post
Marc Pouliot?
Done

Karlssonlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 06:04 PM
Anasazi

Quote:
If he isnt going to score id rather my 4th liners have some serious speed or have a physical edge he has neither. Everyone in the nhl should be responsible defensively especially 4th liners the only players that get some

Anasazi is offline   Reply With Quote