HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 60: vs St. Louis, 2/26

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-27-2009, 11:57 AM
  #451
Mike Liut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 5,426
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaStars99 View Post
seriously I am still laughing that EJ will be as good as Zubov and Pronger. Pump the breaks, just pump the breaks. 1 year sample size is not a good enough to compare to a 15-20 year sample size. Who knows EJ might suck after coming back from injury, injuries effect everybody differently. (probably won't but still crazy to compare)

Johnson is a dominant physical specimen who impacts the game dramatically at both ends. In fact, he is the best and most complete defense prospect to come along in the past 15 years; he's far smoother in his skating and puck skills than Chris Pronger was at the same stage, and much more dominant in his own zone than Jay Bouwmeester ever was in his junior days. He's huge, extremely mobile, strong and aggressive, loves to hit, and has a cannon point shot. His offensive skills allow him to either quarterback the PP or act as a trigger man, and he can take the puck and go end-to-end seemingly at will.

From a draft article.

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 12:01 PM
  #452
Stars99Lobo37
Moderator
Away Games - 13
 
Stars99Lobo37's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sec 314 - Richardson
Country: United States
Posts: 46,743
vCash: 1495
It's a day later......

And I still hate Sydor.

__________________
"Now when people ask me where I'm from, I tell them Texas. Dallas, Texas." - Mike Modano, March 8th, 2014

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 12:16 PM
  #453
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus
 
DaStars99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 13,934
vCash: 1425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Liut View Post
Johnson is a dominant physical specimen who impacts the game dramatically at both ends. In fact, he is the best and most complete defense prospect to come along in the past 15 years; he's far smoother in his skating and puck skills than Chris Pronger was at the same stage, and much more dominant in his own zone than Jay Bouwmeester ever was in his junior days. He's huge, extremely mobile, strong and aggressive, loves to hit, and has a cannon point shot. His offensive skills allow him to either quarterback the PP or act as a trigger man, and he can take the puck and go end-to-end seemingly at will.

From a draft article.
yea and in drat articles for Patrick Stefan there was also lots of praise if he could stay out of trouble with concussions. We all know how that turned out. EJ won't even be the best defenseman named johnson when he is playing, much less an elite player

DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 12:22 PM
  #454
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,771
vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaStars99 View Post
yea and in drat articles for Patrick Stefan there was also lots of praise if he could stay out of trouble with concussions. We all know how that turned out. EJ won't even be the best defenseman named johnson when he is playing, much less an elite player
That took a second ..... Jack Johnson.

Don't be crazy just because Mike Liut has gone off the deep end. Jack Johnson isn't even the best defenseman on his team.

EJ has awesome potential and could become a better defenseman than every name thrown out so far. It's just insane to say he is right now.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 12:53 PM
  #455
Mike Liut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 5,426
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
That took a second ..... Jack Johnson.

Don't be crazy just because Mike Liut has gone off the deep end. Jack Johnson isn't even the best defenseman on his team.

EJ has awesome potential and could become a better defenseman than every name thrown out so far. It's just insane to say he is right now.

Maybe that is where the confusion is. I didn't say now. I am talking when he reaches his prime.

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 12:57 PM
  #456
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,771
vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Liut View Post
Maybe that is where the confusion is. I didn't say now. I am talking when he reaches his prime.
Yeah, the discussion started with who was a bigger loss this season.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 02:52 PM
  #457
Mike Liut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 5,426
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Yeah, the discussion started with who was a bigger loss this season.

True, then it turned into an EJ won't ever be as good as Zubov or Pronger, which is baseless. I wouldn't be suprised if he is better than both.

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 02:53 PM
  #458
Hull Fan
Czech Stop
 
Hull Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Arlington, TX
Country: Albania
Posts: 5,278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Liut View Post
True, then it turned into an EJ won't ever be as good as Zubov or Pronger, which is baseless. I wouldn't be suprised if he is better than both.
And I would be. So there what have we proven?

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 03:10 PM
  #459
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,771
vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
And I would be. So there what have we proven?


That you've graduate from poking optimistic Stars fans with a stick to other teams now.

To be completely honest without trying to be funny, you and Kritter are using logic and reasoning with your beliefs. The only aspect of your arguments that lack logic are trying to convince that majority of the people on this board to put aside love for the team for what is better for the future of the team.

This “if they get there, anything can happen” mentality is flawed. Even if the Stars do make some noise, it doesn’t make that faction correct. Hockey at the NHL level is a business, and the logical, safe move is to not make any drastic moves. Giving up and acquiring better assets is never the wrong move with the issues the Stars are dealing with. On the other hand, the safest move (the one that keeps most fans and players happy) is to not commit either way (buyer/seller), put on a brave face, and try like hell to make the playoffs.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 03:21 PM
  #460
Kritter471
Registered User
 
Kritter471's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 7,696
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Awww, I heart my logic.

But my logic agrees with the "do nothing" or "do something minor" school of thought, honestly (as much as people like having a Lundqvist twin, he's definitely something minor).

I disagree with the idea that they should give up because I think that sets a horrible tone for a franchise. In my opinion, it's never a good idea to take a successful team, even one that has a down year, and go straight to rebuilding mode. I think it sets a horrible precedent and you're far more likely to get stuck in Kings or Blues mode for 5-6 years (sorry Blues fans, but I live in Missouri now and it's still true), and there's no guarantee of ever really making it out of those doldrums.

I don't, however, think they should make a major move this year because there's very little to be gained there from a risk/reward standpoint. Unless that move is to trade Sydor for a donkey. Or a mascot. Or Patrik Stefan's clone.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 04:03 PM
  #461
Hull Fan
Czech Stop
 
Hull Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Arlington, TX
Country: Albania
Posts: 5,278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post
Awww, I heart my logic.

But my logic agrees with the "do nothing" or "do something minor" school of thought, honestly (as much as people like having a Lundqvist twin, he's definitely something minor).
My one problem with sitting at home and doing nothing is that in so doing Jackson isn't actually doing anything to make his team better. Even if Richards and Morrow are healthy next season Dallas still isn't the greatest team ever assembled. Why would anyone want their GM to not do something that can potentially improve the team next year and in the future?

No one regrets the Ignila trade but maybe if Dallas had had some other prospects they could have sent something else to Calgary in the deal. Acquiring 4th round picks, prospects or maybe even a late 1st this year means the Stars have a fuller cupboard when the need to make a move next deadline or at the draft this summer.

Quote:
I disagree with the idea that they should give up because I think that sets a horrible tone for a franchise. In my opinion, it's never a good idea to take a successful team, even one that has a down year, and go straight to rebuilding mode. I think it sets a horrible precedent and you're far more likely to get stuck in Kings or Blues mode for 5-6 years (sorry Blues fans, but I live in Missouri now and it's still true), and there's no guarantee of ever really making it out of those doldrums.
I agree a panic trade like moving Neal or Niskanen sets a bad precedent. But I don't see how moving Lundqvist or Sutherby does. These guys are pros. They understand this is a business. I don't think the moves the office would make is going to mean they're going to quit playing hard the rest of the season. Being realistic enough to say this can't work without our best defenseman, winger and 1B center isn't the same as having a firesale and going into a total rebuild scenario like the Blues are.

Quote:
I don't, however, think they should make a major move this year because there's very little to be gained there from a risk/reward standpoint. Unless that move is to trade Sydor for a donkey. Or a mascot. Or Patrik Stefan's clone.
On this we agree. There's no Brad Richards on the move that I'm aware of.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:17 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.