HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Edm -Tor / Ott

Old
02-27-2009, 05:30 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Most fans seem to think that the 2nd deal is an overpayment for Ottawa, but I'd personally rather keep Gilbert and Nilsson. Neil is completely overrated and does nothing for me. He'll be looking for over $2M next year, and there's no way he's worth that. Especially when you have the same type of guy in Stortini making 700K. Volchenkov is a terrific player, but I'd rather keep the puck mover in Gilbert, and he's already the perfect compliment to Souray. I don't see any reason to break up the Oilers' top defense pair.

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 05:33 PM
Alex28*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggzy View Post
I'm gonna tell you right now. Calgary fans think Regehr is Voltron on skates so I don't see him moving. Give Gilbert to the Panthers.
Exactly. Calgary fans think Regehr is Voltron on skates. Volchenkov IS Voltron on skates and simultaneously a tank that shoots anti tank dogs.

Not moving exceptforFleischmannCarlson1st

Alex28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 05:35 PM
Biggzy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex28 View Post
They could just have him in the off-season for free...
Good luck with that.

Biggzy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 05:40 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 226
Quote:
No, it's not.

Puck movers nowadays are a dime a dozen. Well, not really, but defensive studs like Volchenkov are much harder to come by. If Ottawa was so desperate for puck movers they would have kept Corvo or Mesjaros. Or Redden.

And Nilsson would be a 3rd line player at best in Ottawa.

Losing Volchenkov does not help the senators unless they get someone stellar in return.
Quote:
Would Calgary do Gilbert for Regehr (hypothetical, ignoring the whole rivalry thing).

Volchenkov is probably more to Senators than Regehr is to Flames.

Yeah, Gilbert can move the puck. So can Kuba, Lee and like 20 other players Ottawa traded away. Giving up Volchenkov to make up for that short-sightedness makes no sense for them.

Great insight buddy.

Kuba will be gone next season and none of there offensive prospects are ready to make the big jump to the league next year. Like I said this help Ottawa for next season, the sens already have a load of defensive defenceman already also, Chris Phillips, Jason Smith, Brendan Bell, Christoph Schubert. And jeez those great puckmovers in Ottawa are really showing how good they are at moving the puck eh? 27th in the league for GF.. Campoli is the only thing they have got going for them right now, Gilbert would improve that.

When Ottawa let go of Corvo, they had puckmovers like Redden and Meszaros so no need to even bring that up, Meszaros wouldnt agree to a contract, they had to trade him, and they thought they were getting a puckmover back in Picard, that didnt work, Redden just plain sucked. And Gilbert is'nt stellar?

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 05:42 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
How about,

For a signed JayBo

Cogs
Gilbert
Cole

?

Not trying to be a homer, just wonder if thats something Edm fans would consider.
I posted this exact proposal in the J-Bo thread, I would do it right away..

Old
02-27-2009, 05:44 PM
Biggzy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilGagner89 View Post
I posted this exact proposal in the J-Bo thread, I would do it right away..
Let's get these ****ers on the phone lol.

Old
02-27-2009, 05:45 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Exactly. Calgary fans think Regehr is Voltron on skates. Volchenkov IS Voltron on skates and simultaneously a tank that shoots anti tank dogs.

Not moving [SIZE="1"]exceptforFleischmannCarlson1st[/SIZE]
what?

Old
02-27-2009, 05:47 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
Most fans seem to think that the 2nd deal is an overpayment for Ottawa, but I'd personally rather keep Gilbert and Nilsson. Neil is completely overrated and does nothing for me. He'll be looking for over $2M next year, and there's no way he's worth that. Especially when you have the same type of guy in Stortini making 700K. Volchenkov is a terrific player, but I'd rather keep the puck mover in Gilbert, and he's already the perfect compliment to Souray. I don't see any reason to break up the Oilers' top defense pair.
To make cap space to sign Grebbie and because we have 3 other great puckmovers.

Old
02-27-2009, 05:49 PM
TheHMan

Quote:

Great insight buddy.

Kuba will be gone next season and none of there offensive prospects are ready to make the big jump to the league next year. Like I said this help Ottawa for next season, the sens already have a load of defensive defenceman already also, Chris Phillips, Jason Smith, Brendan Bell, Christoph Schubert. And jeez those great puckmovers in Ottawa are really showing how good they are at moving the puck eh? 27th in the league for GF.. Campoli is the only thing they have got going for them right now, Gilbert would improve that.

When Ottawa let go of Corvo, they had puckmovers like Redden and Meszaros so no need to even bring that up, Meszaros wouldnt agree to a contract, they had to trade him, and they thought they were getting a puckmover back in Picard, that didnt work, Redden just plain sucked. And Gilbert is'nt stellar?
The GF and puck movement problems have had a lot more to do with Craig Hartsburg than they had to do with the actual roster players. If you haven't watched the Senators, you would not know this. Since Cory Clouston started coaching the team, the transition game has been improved tenfold; and I don't see how anyone can form any sort of reasonable argument to suggest otherwise.

Brian Lee and Campoli are both very good puck movers. They're young but right now I haven't seen anything to suggest that they aren't Top 4 Defensemen. Alexandre Picard, or Mattias Karlsson are more than good enough to handle the bottom pairing.

The season is done for the Senators. I would much rather they pursue a defenseman in free agency with the cap space the team will have rather than surrender Volchenkov for Tom Gilbert because Oiler fans feel like it's the best thing for us. Oh hey why not throw in our 1st too, probably isn't going to be as good of a player as Nilsson anyway.

TheHMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 06:04 PM
KingKarlsson

Quote:

Great insight buddy.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Have you ever watched Bell play? He doesn't know where to be in his own zone.

For next year, we've got Lee, Picard and Campoli as all very capable puckmovers. Smith could very well be gone next week, and in that case I expect Murray to make a move in the offseason to acquire another defenceman. I don't think anyone's doubting Gilbert has value and is a good defenceman, just that we'd rather have Volchenkov long and short-term.

KingKarlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 06:08 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKarlsson View Post
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Have you ever watched Bell play? He doesn't know where to be in his own zone.

For next year, we've got Lee, Picard and Campoli as all very capable puckmovers. Smith could very well be gone next week, and in that case I expect Murray to make a move in the offseason to acquire another defenceman. I don't think anyone's doubting Gilbert has value and is a good defenceman, just that we'd rather have Volchenkov long and short-term.
He must be one ****** defenceman than because I know he's not great offensively either..

Old
02-27-2009, 06:12 PM
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater

vCash: 777
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Quote:
How about,

For a signed JayBo

Cogs
Gilbert
Cole

?

Not trying to be a homer, just wonder if thats something Edm fans would consider.
If JayBo is willing to sign an extension, or perhaps set up a sign-and-trade, then I'd be all over this. Maybe Cole would do the same in signing an extension to play in Florida (it's crystal clear to me he wants to play back in the Eastern conference). That would seem pretty reasonable to me, and work for both teams.

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 06:18 PM
Biggzy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPolice View Post
If JayBo is willing to sign an extension, or perhaps set up a sign-and-trade, then I'd be all over this. Maybe Cole would do the same in signing an extension to play in Florida (it's crystal clear to me he wants to play back in the Eastern conference). That would seem pretty reasonable to me, and work for both teams.
Damn, if only we were GM's. lol.

Old
02-27-2009, 06:41 PM
Ouroboros

vCash: 50
Quote:
He must be one ****** defenceman than because I know he's not great offensively either..
Basically.

He's waiver fodder and isn't in the Senators future plans. Neither is Schubert. Nor is Jason Smith for that matter.

Ouroboros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 07:02 PM
senators101

Ottawa will Not trade Volchenkov.

senators101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 07:07 PM
StrictlyCommercial

When I read this thread I thought what a stupid proposal from a Sens fan. I'm very surprised this is considered uneven towards Edmonton. Gilbert and Nilson are awesome players. Gilbert is excellent as both a shutdown guy and an offensive guy. I would think it's edmonton overpaying, not Ottawa.

StrictlyCommercial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 07:21 PM
crazyforhockey

Short term its a better deal for Edmonton,by next year,Ott is laughing........Edm will regret this.

crazyforhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 07:23 PM
Arian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan311 View Post
JFJ certainly seems like a Burke-type player
How dare you say that name!

The proposal is really good for both teams.

Arian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 09:08 PM
BigCanadian

As a Sens fan - I'd rather not move Volchenkov.

BigCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote